MrLovett

84 MC & 100% RT | Beyoncé's 'Black is King' critic thread

G'Day
20 hours ago, monstereo said:

MC score dropping with every new update :toofunny2:

:clown:

MrLovett
50 minutes ago, Timber said:

Woo, the 100% RT score looks so good on the title. I think it would look better if it said % on there too tho. :redface:

Done!

Timber
3 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Done!

giphy.gif

Brikenbur

81 :gaygacat5:

badgirlriri

Really good for a film on MC :clap3:

Starshine

Universal acclaim it seems. :giraffe:

Kisuke

Another acclaimed project for Bey.

pCeqBf9.gif

Bey'Knight

Well Well Well ... what’s our little friend got to say now? :fan::keir:

AbeHicks
2 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Well Well Well ... what’s our little friend got to say now? :fan::keir:

Metacritic score dropped to 75  @MrLovett should edit the misleading thread title.

Almost Home
17 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

Metacritic score dropped to 75  @MrLovett should edit the misleading thread title.

It's still 81.

Bey'Knight
19 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

You wish. 

MrLovett
56 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

The Metacritic score is at 81. :rip: The only misleading thing here is you. Poor attempt.

Kisuke
58 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

You left the Gaga base for this ? :foxaylove3: the era must be boring :foxaylove3:

Queenyoncee
1 hour ago, AbeHicks said:

OT: Acclaim:clap3: Not everyone has that 

Tripthelight

Are there more reviews left to be added? 

MrLovett
10 hours ago, Tripthelight said:

Are there more reviews left to be added? 

Not sure, tbh. This is kinda new territory for us all! There doesn't seem to have been anything added in a while, so this is seemingly all. :clap3: Universal acclaim!

Destiny

That one dumb user ffgghjhgf :ahh:

Almost Home
54 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Pitchfork being a bit of a dick :cm:

Beyoncé’s Black Is King Offers Awe-Inspiring Looks and Muddled Messages

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/beyonce-black-is-king-review-awe-inspiring-looks-muddled-messages/

They don't count for MC (movie reviews) or RT. Also it's just a Staff member/contributor blog (The Pitch) and not an actual review. 

Edited by Almost Home

Destiny
32 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

They don't count for MC (movie reviews) or RT. Also it's just a Staff member/contributor blog (The Pitch) and not an actual review. 

Whew we love to see it! :fan:

e826da531071240f3ca9dade689e82634a100662

Otter

Having watched a few times, I have to say it is great achievement with lots of depth. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

The things that stand out to me that I hope she fixes in her next project:

Although its obviously beautiful, the quality of imagery is sometimes inconsistent. For example the constant jumping between the gorgeous cinematography of Bigger at the beach; to the shaky, oversatured and stuttery footage from the original video, was unnecessary. 2 completely different aesthetics and with a huge gulf in quality between them.Then there's the vintage cam thing she's obsessed with... I actually thought it worked in moderation but it was still used to much for my liking. There's this tendency in her direction and editing to be to be over distracting, jumping through every angle, possible shot and costume they captured as opposed to just allowing the best scenes to breathe and be fleshed out

There was too much B-roll. For a film of 1h+ length, there needs to more scripted action and less beauty shots of people standing around looking regal. This is why Otherside stands out as such a unpexected highlight in the film. It's not just a moving moodboard, its a literally story going from A, B, C uninterupted by performances to camera. Of course those performances that break the 4th wall  can work amazingly at the right moments (My Power) but overall I felt like the pacing so was off in the middle of the film as it really just became a sequence of music videos loosely tied with voice over inbetween.

Allow characters to develop and for us to grow attachment to them. Another reason why we need more scripted moments & also a reason why I suggest she cuts certain songs from whatever her next visual album. Either cut them or reference them through instrumentals and snippets. The film needs to allow set pieces to be built up, let other actors carry more lines and build tension and suspense. All of that is harder to do when you're squeezing in 12 songs. 

Anyway this is her most ambitious project. Can't wait to see what she does with B7. I hope she works with an established feature film writer/director to help take it to that next level. A lot of the problems I saw is kind of the consequence of working with a dozen different directors from short form music, fashion and poetry world. 

Almost Home

Two new reviews were added to RT (27 reviews) and still at 100%. San Francisco Chronicle (3/4) also counts for MC. 

Ari29
30 minutes ago, Otter said:

Having watched a few times, I have to say it is great achievement with lots of depth. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

The things that stand out to me that I hope she fixes in her next project:

Although its obviously beautiful, the quality of imagery is sometimes inconsistent. For example the constant jumping between the gorgeous cinematography of Bigger at the beach; to the shaky, oversatured and stuttery footage from the original video, was unnecessary. 2 completely different aesthetics and with a huge gulf in quality between them.Then there's the vintage cam thing she's obsessed with... I actually thought it worked in moderation but it was still used to much for my liking. There's this tendency in her direction and editing to be to be over distracting, jumping through every angle, possible shot and costume they captured as opposed to just allowing the best scenes to breathe and be fleshed out

There was too much B-roll. For a film of 1h+ length, there needs to more scripted action and less beauty shots of people standing around looking regal. This is why Otherside stands out as such a unpexected highlight in the film. It's not just a moving moodboard, its a literally story going from A, B, C uninterupted by performances to camera. Of course those performances that break the 4th wall  can work amazingly at the right moments (My Power) but overall I felt like the pacing so was off in the middle of the film as it really just became a sequence of music videos loosely tied with voice over inbetween.

Allow characters to develop and for us to grow attachment to them. Another reason why we need more scripted moments & also a reason why I suggest she cuts certain songs from whatever her next visual album. Either cut them or reference them through instrumentals and snippets. The film needs to allow set pieces to be built up, let other actors carry more lines and build tension and suspense. All of that is harder to do when you're squeezing in 12 songs. 

Anyway this is her most ambitious project. Can't wait to see what she does with B7. I hope she works with an established feature film writer/director to help take it to that next level. A lot of the problems I saw is kind of the consequence of working with a dozen different directors from short form music, fashion and poetry world. 

This is a pretty thorough review and you touched on some of my critiques I posted in base. The run time of the movie feels long and I think that may be because there is so much B-roll footage where nothing really happens, it’s gorgeous, but after a while it becomes a bit too much. I also said she should’ve cut or found a way to briefly reference some songs to flesh out the story more 

Almost Home

Four more reviews were added (31 reviews) and still at 100% on RT.