Dr. Dray drags Fenty Skin

LCTV

Kylie Skin 2.0

hétérosexuelle

I don’t like fragrance in my skin products

But thanks!

Lvl8Treeko

8 hours ago, JesusORGod said:

How tf can you review skincare so quickly?! Everyone will literally have a different result depending on your skin, genetics, diet, lifestyle and climate.

She sounds hella pressed because she wasn’t on the PR list. There is literally something to drag about EVERY skincare if she wants to go there...let’s not.

Dr. Dray does not care about being on a PR list. Trust.  She drags any brand that has problematic ingredients. She is very research and evidence based regarding ingredients and does frequently recommend products that are nothing but beneficial for skin.  So there isn't something to drag about every skincare brand, there are some great AFFORDABLE brands out there which she recommends got her viewers.  Her advice has helped me and many others so much to achieving great skin.  She's a true queen.   I mean come on, I love Rihanna but it's 2020 and we're still putting fragrance, which can cause many problems, in skincare? Mess.

Cute

just so y'all know Miss Dray LOATHES fragrance and the minute something has fragrance in it she hates it and recommends cerave instead. Probably why she trashed fenty skin is because of the fragrance in it. Ppl on skincare addiction worship the ground she walks on and everyone on scacirclejerk drag her and her followers, rightfully so :sistrens: i try to stay away from fragrance as much as I can but she has a zero tolerance for it 

Cute
5 hours ago, Insanity said:

I dont use skin care products so good luck k to her

gurl u need sunscreen at the least so make sure u apply SPF every two hours 

VOSS
8 hours ago, JesusORGod said:

Basic according to who? Katy stan?.. :ahh:

Sweetie you’re paying for the package, the conditions this ingredients are kept in, marketing and the Fenty brand lifestyle 💋

this is why people like the kardashians are "successful"

Flynn
22 minutes ago, Cute said:

just so y'all know Miss Dray LOATHES fragrance and the minute something has fragrance in it she hates it and recommends cerave instead. Probably why she trashed fenty skin is because of the fragrance in it. Ppl on skincare addiction worship the ground she walks on and everyone on scacirclejerk drag her and her followers, rightfully so :sistrens: i try to stay away from fragrance as much as I can but she has a zero tolerance for it 

I really can't believe people still watch her videos :rip:

I also try to stay away from products with fragrance, but there are still some great products that have it and most of the people get no reaction from it.

willyogalvan

you guys perfume/fragrance serves absolutely NO purpose in skin care and has ZERO benefits. When skin care lines put it in their products all theyre really telling you is that they don’t actually care about your skin or if they aggravate it, they just wanna sell you *~vibes and aesthetics.

willyogalvan

lol at atrl discrediting a DOCTOR giving their professional review.

willyogalvan
2 hours ago, Flynn said:

I really can't believe people still watch her videos :rip:

I also try to stay away from products with fragrance, but there are still some great products that have it and most of the people get no reaction from it.

no dermatologist will ever recommend a fragrance filled product, its not just dr dray.

Flynn
15 minutes ago, willyogalvan said:

no dermatologist will ever recommend a fragrance filled product, its not just dr dray.

There's plenty of reasons not to watch Dr Dray, the fact that she hates fragrance is not one of them, even I said in my post that I try to stay away from products that have it. 

TipToe
12 hours ago, Walley said:

Why does she talk like she’s in severe pain? 

:rip: she sounds like a girl i knew in college, it's like she's very 'urgent' in whichever topic she's speaking. Dr. Dray is also very picky/exigent, i have watched a bunch of her videos before... great science-based advice but not always fit for everyone, be it because every skin is different or because people can't be as disciplined.

BODERLINE

Everyone praises Dr. Dray to high heaven but I just can't watch her content. Every single video is so ****ing negative. I'm all for discussing ingredients that aren't the best for you and suggesting alternatives but there's just something in how Dr. Dray presents herself and her opinions in all her videos that just rubs me the wrong way.  It would be great to hear a professionals opinion but the woman can hardly take care of her own health. It just makes all of her content so hard to watch and to take anything she says seriously. 

SavagePapi

I honestly don't care about celebrity skincare lines, but besides her bitterness for the first 10 or more minutes of this review I do believe she has a vast knowledge for skin and skincare. This is obviously her area of expertise.

I was expecting a severe drag, but she honestly sounded informative and straight to the point.

Nevertheless, choose whatever you want to drop your coins on. All these skincare lines are subjective for the most part. Do what works best for your skin. Don't just be influenced by a celebrity. As mentioned best selling / = best for your skin. Do your research, see different reviews, and if you want to try out the celebrity skincare line then do that. If it works, cool. If it doesn't, move on.

The end.

Nido

Well you gotta applaud her honestly and straightforwardness because she has the knowledge and expertise to back up her opinion unlike that twink Hyram who were shaking and sweating in his video from fear of getting dragged. 

Blue G
19 hours ago, Lvl8Treeko said:

Dr. Dray does not care about being on a PR list. Trust.  She drags any brand that has problematic ingredients. She is very research and evidence based regarding ingredients and does frequently recommend products that are nothing but beneficial for skin.  So there isn't something to drag about every skincare brand, there are some great AFFORDABLE brands out there which she recommends got her viewers.  Her advice has helped me and many others so much to achieving great skin.  She's a true queen.   I mean come on, I love Rihanna but it's 2020 and we're still putting fragrance, which can cause many problems, in skincare? Mess.

Another dermatologist explained that skin care brands put fragrance in because these ingredients smell, they smell bad and studies show only 3% of the population is actually sensitive to fragrance especially small amounts as fenty skin has, not to mention customers are less likely to buy and use products they don't like the smell of. 

So fragrance isn't just something thrown in without thought. 

Blue G
6 hours ago, Nido said:

Well you gotta applaud her honestly and straightforwardness because she has the knowledge and expertise to back up her opinion unlike that twink Hyram who were shaking and sweating in his video from fear of getting dragged. 

What's funny is that atrl runs from all Rihanna related threads then run into this one thinking the one bad review is the honest ones and disregarding the countless good ones from just as qualified experts. Even people who broke out from using the products had positives to say. And not one ingredient (if you look it up yourself) does anything other then what the products claim to do. 

Blue G
16 hours ago, willyogalvan said:

Please dermatologist will first access your skin before recommending a product. If you are not sensitive to fragrance they won't have issue recommending a fragrance filled product. 

Get your facts right. 

Blue G
16 hours ago, willyogalvan said:

you guys perfume/fragrance serves absolutely NO purpose in skin care and has ZERO benefits. When skin care lines put it in their products all theyre really telling you is that they don’t actually care about your skin or if they aggravate it, they just wanna sell you *~vibes and aesthetics.

Unless the brands hide that their product has fragrance then that product was never promoted to people with a sensitivity to fragrance. Fragrance will not hinder the effectiveness of the other ingredients. And as majority of the population is fine with fragrance, then the added fragrance is about giving you the full sensory experience. 

These ingredients stink. Customers tend not to buy or use products they find to smell bad. Simply logic. Spf products stink. And so most of these brands would rather lose the 3% of the population that is sensitive to fragrance. 

Nido
5 minutes ago, Blue G said:

What's funny is that atrl runs from all Rihanna related threads then run into this one thinking the one bad review is the honest ones and disregarding the countless good ones from just as qualified experts. Even people who broke out from using the products had positives to say. And not one ingredient (if you look it up yourself) does anything other then what the products claim to do. 

Well technically I only praised her for standing her ground and saying how she felt without falling into pressure cause the other guy was acting a fool in his own video. I never said other reviewers weren't honest :skull:

People with different skin types can have different reactions so there's no saying that a product is entirely good or bad, I have seen some other videos, including from The Golden Rx and so on, not just Dr. Dray's to see different viewpoints. I wouldn't discourage anyone from using the products if they wanted to and if the formulation works for them.

willyogalvan
20 minutes ago, Blue G said:

Please dermatologist will first access your skin before recommending a product. If you are not sensitive to fragrance they won't have issue recommending a fragrance filled product. 

Get your facts right. 

i completely disagree and you dont have to be rude. Since one of the top reasons people go see a dermatologist is because they’ve developed an allergy to fragrance (u can look this up) this is why they will never recommend putting fragrance on the face. just because u dont have a problem with it yesterday or today doesnt mean you can’t develop an allergy to it tomorow, the risk will always be there. furthermore, fragrance also does indeed screw with other ingredients in the products, de-stabilizing them and can make them irritating. If you don’t mind putting perfume on your face (literally think spraying a perfume bottle in your face) that’s totally fine but I think that not enough people know that there will always be risks with fragrance and can potentially damage your skin long-term.

Arcadius
Posted (edited)

First off she came off salty and upset 5 seconds into the video. White women just can't stand to see a black woman doing well I guess.

Edited by Arcadius

Raspberry Swirl
Posted (edited)

I'm neutral to Rih, and I just want to say that @Blue G has the tea. Warning, long essay ahead.

Well, I'm not a cosmetic chemist (yet... maybe eventually) but I've taken several formulation science classes (+ a cosmetics elective) in my degree and have had an interest in skincare (+ I used to read about aromatherapy/essential oils as a hobby).

TLDA: Fragrance dangers in skincare are massively overhyped. Unless you are a rare case with a known skin sensitivity, or a skin condition like psoriasis, you do not need to fear fragrance in commercial skincare products.

Fragrance (often labeled parfum) in products is used in very low concentrations. That's why they are always near/at the very bottom of those ingredient lists. You only need very, very low concentrations of odor compounds (often less than 1%) for the product to have a significant scent, and at these concentrations they will not pose a problem to people without allergies or unusual fragrance sensitivities. I mean, these fragrance raw materials are quite expensive, so why would they be spammed in mass-produced products? And as mentioned by @Blue G, a very small population actually has these sensitivities. Obviously, if any perfume sprayed on your skin gives you a reaction, I agree with you being wary about your skincare, but consider that liquid perfume is a way more concentrated solution of fragrance compounds compared to skincare products.

Most essential oils and synthetic fragrance compounds found in commercial products will be those with known safety profiles, used at concentrations safe for the general population. They are often tested at higher concentrations than normal (vs. in skincare products) and deemed to be non-irritating and non-sensitizing before they are allowed by IFRA for use in skincare products. Some specific, nasty essential oils like cinnamon bark/lemon verbena/cold-pressed bergamot are either banned outright, have their acceptable levels of use tightly-regulated, or must have the specific dangerous chemicals distilled out to be used. But do be careful of 'homemade soaps' sold by random vendors...

Also, off the top of my head, I can think of two reasons why fragrance might be inescapable in a product:

1. To mask a bad-smelling active ingredient. E.g. Vitamin C on its own smells metallic, and I'm sure there are far nastier-smelling things that I can't think of right now. 

2. An active ingredient is a plant extract, not necessarily an essential oil, that has its own fragrance. E.g. chamomile extract, sea buckthorn extract.

I'm sure I've missed some talking points, feel free to point them out.

My thoughts on why the dangers were overhyped in the first place are in the spoilers below, as they are not crucial to this discussion. Random history lesson I guess:

Spoiler

Not sure precisely where it started but I want to blame Ms. 'Cosmetics Cop' Paula Begoun, her book and her website Beautypedia (which preceded her own skincare line :toofunny2:, hint hint) . She marketed herself exceptionally well, and some people still consider her the bible on cosmetics safety though she had no scientific training (was just an MUA IIRC). One of her favorite things to preach was that fragrance had ZERO place in skincare, and she would cite a lot of journals as 'evidence' that certain fragrance materials would wreak havoc on your skin. The issue is, she would skim through journals, cherry-pick her favorite phrases, and present them as evidence without considering the context, in a way preying on the fact that most of the GP does not know how to analyze data presented in scientific journals:

There's a link here that takes apart her claims one by one (YES the guy sells essential oils, but his criticisms are very valid):

https://roberttisserand.com/2011/08/lavender-oil-skin-savior-or-skin-irritant/

For instance, she overstated the dangers of peroxidation of lavender oil (a SLOW process, and sometimes antioxidants in the general formula can act as preservatives). More in the link above.

Paula has since backtracked on a lot of her claims (some plant extracts that used to freak her out are now listed as good) and has distanced herself from beautypedia, but the damage has been done. You now see people parroting her philosophies about fragrance-free skincare. I think it has its advantages as companies are pressured to provide fragrance-free, minimalist skincare options, but at the same time it's not really based on sound scientific evidence.

Edited by Raspberry Swirl

Blue G
1 hour ago, willyogalvan said:

i completely disagree and you dont have to be rude. Since one of the top reasons people go see a dermatologist is because they’ve developed an allergy to fragrance (u can look this up) this is why they will never recommend putting fragrance on the face. just because u dont have a problem with it yesterday or today doesnt mean you can’t develop an allergy to it tomorow, the risk will always be there. furthermore, fragrance also does indeed screw with other ingredients in the products, de-stabilizing them and can make them irritating. If you don’t mind putting perfume on your face (literally think spraying a perfume bottle in your face) that’s totally fine but I think that not enough people know that there will always be risks with fragrance and can potentially damage your skin long-term.

Dermatologist will rightly not recommend fragranced products to a general audience, but one on one with a client who has no issues with fragrance they will. Which is why it's ridiculous that this woman would trash any product especially one not marketing itself as a medical grade product. A warning to those sensitive to fragrance is mostly all she had to do.