Squall

Why isn't Future Nostalgia selling more?

Recommended Posts

Null
Posted (edited)

A lot of you people don't even know how the world and money works....

 

No label would invest as much money as you all seem to think they're investing on "payola" if they weren't making profit off of it. She's clearly bringing them bucks.

 

Also, most of the people who like Dua are NOT obsessive stans whose parents pay for the 40+ copies of her album.

 

She's thriving and being talked about, being played on the radio, being streamed. She's a hard worker and you all hate to see it cuz your faves can't relate. 

Edited by Null

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squall
45 minutes ago, NightCrawler said:

That's one of the reasons why literally everyone with common sense prefers Chartmasters methodology which weights streams the same everywhere :ace::ace::ace:

Official charts >>> ChartMasters, you want it or not :cm: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luckitty
29 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

 

not them dragging their own logic 

 

Luckitty

 

"always"

 

Luckitty

getting hits from 2013 to 2019 is pretty impressive for someone who isn’t pushed anywhere, that’s one of the pros of being a songwriter, not many pop girls can relate :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gotportugal
14 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

getting hits from 2013 to 2019 is pretty impressive for someone who isn’t pushed anywhere, that’s one of the pros of being a songwriter, not many pop girls can relate :coffee:

"not pushed" sure

 

Luckitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
07tandu

She's definitely the Katy Perry of the new gen just without the name recognition, she has a few hits but nobody considers her an album artist

gotportugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UnusualBoy

It's a pure pop album, those barely sell unless your name is Taylor or Adele. Also, I see Dua more as a singles artist than an album artist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bey_Rihstan
13 hours ago, brenda-walsh said:

 

 

I'd say it's doing just fine and will be the biggest female album of 2020

Considering Brandy’s 7th album, B7, is being released tomorrow and will well 2 billion copies,  I’d say this is a lie hun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luckitty
1 hour ago, gotportugal said:

"not pushed" sure

 

Luckitty

yes not pushed, her label ended her debut era after only 1 single, her most recent single was not pushed anywhere not even on radio. She doesn’t have payola like ms lipa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCTV

Because she's too busy being the number one streamed female artist on spotify / 3rd overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stallo

We live in the streaming era, total units matter. Looking at pure sales alone is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Otter
Posted (edited)

How many of those comparison artists are new and making pop? 

 

Harry/Weekend have been established for a decade.

 

Post Malone makes Urban cross over 

 

Billie is alt/acoustic more than she is pop.

 

Dua is outdoing all of her pop peers.

 

 

 

Edited by Otter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rei

Atrl really loves making up excuses for their favorite european white girls. :rip:

 

There’s no excuses, with her permanent placement in TTH a streaming artist like Billie shouldn’t be doing better.

 

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Villanelle
2 minutes ago, Rei said:

Atrl really loves making up excuses for their favorite european white girls. :rip:

 

There’s no excuses, with her permanent placement in TTH a streaming artist like Billie shouldn’t be doing better.

 

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
myles
2 hours ago, Otter said:

How many of those comparison artists are new and making pop? 

 

Harry/Weekend have been established for a decade.

 

Post Malone makes Urban cross over 

 

Billie is alt/acoustic more than she is pop.

 

Dua is outdoing all of her pop peers.

 

 

 

yeah, the comparisons in the OP are.... bizarre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Slayne

music not the bling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goofy

how much of that 1M figure are actual sales, like digital downloads and physical versions? 80-120K worldwide? this "sales"-talk is embarrassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh
4 hours ago, Rei said:

Atrl really loves making up excuses for their favorite european white girls. :rip:

 

There’s no excuses, with her permanent placement in TTH a streaming artist like Billie shouldn’t be doing better.

 

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

While stanning for Britney, Taylor, Selena, Camilla and Halsey the whitest girls in pop lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadBoy

Funny how you didn’t mention Rare in your “older albums” section but mentioned all men albums + Billie. :chick2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadBoy
1 hour ago, Josh said:

While stanning for Britney, Taylor, Selena, Camilla and Halsey the whitest girls in pop lmao

I’m saying. And he is a known racist so it’s no surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perpetual novice

The numbers posted are ..fine? How are you going to post great sales and ask why it's not doing even more :deadbanana2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Letemtalk
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, Squall said:

Of course MT isn't an official source, wbk but we only have IFPI once a year ( and only for pure sales). Also, maybe it's "US dependent" because... it's the biggest market in the world? :skull: 

No, not because it's the biggest market, it's because MediaTraffic adds up national SPS figures (from the countries where they have data) and each country has a different formula. This favours albums with songs that stream well in those countries with a more favourable SPS formula.

 

For example, I'm sure you're aware that the UK official charts for albums takes the 12 most streamed tracks from the album, with the top-two songs being down-weighted to the average, to calculate the units used for the charts. Nothing wrong as that as long as you don't start comparing SPS with other countries that use a different formula. For example, it would probably be a bit stupid to compare with countries where every track is counted and no tracks are down-weighted.

 

But that appears to be exactly what MediaTraffic does.

Edited by Letemtalk
formatting and rewording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eternium
22 hours ago, Squall said:

Official charts >>> ChartMasters, you want it or not :cm: 

Incorrect.

 

Japan’s official charts don’t include digital sales, sales outside of certain stores nor exports/imports. They even use estimations often.

 

Taiwan’s official charts use percentages. Imagine claiming your fave sold 5,183% total :skull: 

 

Billboard used to make-up numbers based on phone calls to select record stores. Today they’ve changed their current formula in order to promote paying for streaming services which is a clear violation of their integrity. Billboard also doesn’t track any sales since the early 90s and are notorious for posting press releases with inflated numbers.

 

The U.K. ignores actual numbers by ignoring the two most streamed tracks and averaging the streams based on the remaining tracks, which is more of a hypothetical situation and not based on the actual stats of the album.

 

These charts were only useful to collect pure numbers. When we have actual raw numbers like what Spotify provides, it shows how useless and inaccurate some of these are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squall
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eternium said:

Incorrect.

 

Japan’s official charts don’t include digital sales, sales outside of certain stores nor exports/imports. They even use estimations often.

 

Taiwan’s official charts use percentages. Imagine claiming your fave sold 5,183% total :skull: 

 

Billboard used to make-up numbers based on phone calls to select record stores. Today they’ve changed their current formula in order to promote paying for streaming services which is a clear violation of their integrity. Billboard also doesn’t track any sales since the early 90s and are notorious for posting press releases with inflated numbers.

 

The U.K. ignores actual numbers by ignoring the two most streamed tracks and averaging the streams based on the remaining tracks, which is more of a hypothetical situation and not based on the actual stats of the album.

 

These charts were only useful to collect pure numbers. When we have actual raw numbers like what Spotify provides, it shows how useless and inaccurate some of these are.

Every market has the right to adapt streaming to their market. For example, France doesn’t count free streams anymore because local rappers were allegedly cheating. Also, maybe it’s kind of flawed to consider all streams are worth the same since not every stream gets the label/artist the same pay, especially among the different platforms.

Edited by Squall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gerardsuxx
13 hours ago, BadBoy said:

I’m saying. And he is a known racist so it’s no surprise. 

Shut up

 

OT: She’s a single artist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ivan_brit

If ATRL thinks that Dua Lipa is not selling album.... well poor the rest of the Girls it’s the best Selling Female album from 2020 releases #2 overall only behind Billie album. Let’s wait for Taylor 1st week it could outsold FN 

 

Anyway Dua is slaying 2020 stay mad haters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites