BigBangStan

Rina Sawayama can’t enter British Awards

Cookies n Cream
12 hours ago, Robi said:

Law is a law :clap3:

and the law isnt always right :clap3:

Bey Admired

I literally just discovered this girl because of this thread and listened to SAWAYAMA and I am SHOOKETH! :jonny6: Wow! 

Robert

This is so stupid. If she's a permanent resident who literally grew up here then she should be classed as British regardless of what passport she holds. 

as926

This is some bull****. 

SevenFootSounds
4 hours ago, Bey Admired said:

I literally just discovered this girl because of this thread and listened to SAWAYAMA and I am SHOOKETH! :jonny6: Wow! 

Love the fact that she's getting more recognition from this as well! 

Kendi

That two users trying tooth and nail to defend this :skull: Yes, she chose not to renounce her Japanese passport but she has a valid reason to do so. Besides, she even says in the interview that she was really close to applying to British citizenship but "I don't like just sorting out a symptom of something and leaving the cause to someone else to deal with". Meaning she know that it would easy for her to do so, but that won't solve the issue for other people who might be less fortunate.

Relampago.

I saw this on Twitter earlier. How archaic and tbh, pretty xenophobic :rip: 

It should be similar to the AMAs, in that artists who aren't American can also qualify for awards if they've made a significant impact in the US. Maybe not as lax, but if someone has made most of their career in the UK/lived there for most of their life... why not?

cOe

Yeah, the worst thing is that they even care about/check her citizenship status. She IS obviously an English singer, she's lived there her entire life, early childhood doesn't really count. So sad because she deserved to snatch these awards.

rihannabiggestfan
21 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

well her teeth are really beautiful so I can get why she refuses the UK passport :clap3:

ffff :bibliahh:

19 hours ago, Robi said:

Law is a law :clap3:

YIKES :clown:

Robi
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cookies n Cream said:

and the law isnt always right :clap3:

I believe that law was made for a reason and like it or not like it , is what it is and everyone who comes to the UK has to do things to become a citizen there is no easy way or because you lived here 10/20/30 years you getting one

I couldn’t get only settled status because they were questioning this even if I am here over 10 years so the law is same for everybody 

Edited by Robi

keshaspearsxo

She should be eligible, there’s no valid argument otherwise. This is just a very clear example of how racism is largely covert and systemically ingrained in all institutions. It’s othering, based on very insignificant details and for extremely absurd reasoning. 

confide in me

Well that's stupid :katie: Why can't this rule be changed?

hétérosexuelle
On 7/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, SpaceMan said:

well her teeth are really beautiful so I can get why she refuses the UK passport :clap3:

:clap3:

Jealous
On 7/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, SpaceMan said:

:lmao:

--

Had no idea she wasn't a British citizen. Well the rules are dumb, the award industry is racist and screams boomer, thankfully it's dying. She doesn't need them

kylespearsfenty

(i'm from the us.) i can't believe people are trying to make her seem like she's victimizing herself or something. (well first of all, anarchy, no states!) but the point is that she shouldn't have to choose to be english or japanese because she is BOTH. and denying someone their british identity because they don't want to deny their japanese identity is dumb. if you feel she should pick one or the other, that's a problem. the whole idea of people belonging to a nation and having that become a central part of their identity (us vs them) is extremely problematic and is a huge reason why we have violence in our world today.

coomy
On 7/30/2020 at 5:12 AM, Robi said:

I believe that law was made for a reason and like it or not like it , is what it is and everyone who comes to the UK has to do things to become a citizen there is no easy way or because you lived here 10/20/30 years you getting one

I couldn’t get only settled status because they were questioning this even if I am here over 10 years so the law is same for everybody 

oh wow you almost just spelled her best song sis!

Gossip_Boy

It blows my mind that in the year 2020 the likes of BRIT Awards abd Mercury Prize couldn't see how wrong and problematic this is.

After she publicly called them out, the whole issue gained traction so hopefully they will back down. It's just a shame Rina missed out on a deserved nomination that could have given her the recognition she deserves.

klynb

this is so clearly xenophobic and it's really disgusting that some of you guys are going out of your way to protect the dear Brit Awards, your lord and savior. Stream XS.

sawayama rina | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir