BigBangStan

Rina Sawayama can’t enter British Awards

Javan
22 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis, you're losing any kind of moral highground you want by buying into the idea that a nation state is defined solely by its citizenry. This is the same mentality used by conservatives to vilify DACA kids or deny immigrants forms of aid. 

Not quite. Conservatives vilify DACA kids and immigrants while resisting the expansion of citizenship to qualify them. In the UK, citizenship has expanded to the degree that Rina could become British if she chose to. She chose not to. Wanting citizen benefits while not being denied, but CHOOSING not to claim citizenship....

And there you go making my point, evoking the the bodies of DACA kids and poor migrants to advocate for someone who is clearly more privileged in an entirely different situation. 

25 minutes ago, Communion said:

A British award show would then celebrate music that is part of British culture.

Brits refers to the people.

Brit

/brɪt/

Learn to pronounce

INFORMAL

noun

a British person.

Communion
9 minutes ago, Javan said:

Brit

/brɪt/

Learn to pronounce

INFORMAL

noun

a British person.

If you think someone has to be a British citizen to be a Brit, you've ended up endorsing essentialism and right-wing ideas of nationality. Richard Spencer is happy. 

Javan
2 minutes ago, Communion said:

If you think someone has to be a British citizen to be a Brit, you've ended up endorsing essentialism and right-wing ideas of nationality. Richard Spencer is happy. 

So disingenuous. Again. Richard Spencer and the far-right are in business of defining and restricting who can become a British citizen (along ethnic lines). That is not what I'm doing. She has every right to become a citizen, she denied herself of it, so she should not feel entitled to the benefits. Let's keep it real, she's doing all this talking about being here for most of her life, and leaving Japan at the age of 3, if she feels so British and its so important to her why is she dodging citizenship? Someone said that the Japanese passport is more valuable....

1st world problems, leave DACA kids out of this. They wish they had the luxury. 

Kiel D-01

This is so messy, they need to change the rules cos this ain't it. :rip: 

TheFireLexus
2 minutes ago, Javan said:

So disingenuous. Again. Richard Spencer and the far-right are in business of defining and restricting who can become a British citizen (along ethnic lines). That is not what I'm doing. She has every right to become a citizen, she denied herself of it, so she should not feel entitled to the benefits. Let's keep it real, she's doing all this talking about being here for most of her life, and leaving Japan at the age of 3, if she feels so British and its so important to her why is she dodging citizenship? Someone said that the Japanese passport is more valuable....

1st world problems, leave DACA kids out of this. They wish they had the luxury. 

Additionally, there's a reason she's agitating for the UK rules to be changed and not for Japan to allow her get dual citizenship. She knows the narrative she's trying to exploit won't fly at all in Japan, which says a lot about which country she truly believes to be intolerant in this situation.

Communion
4 minutes ago, Javan said:

So disingenuous. Again. Richard Spencer and the far-right are in business of defining and restricting who can become a British citizen (along ethnic lines). That is not what I'm doing. She has every right to become a citizen, she denied herself of it, so she should not feel entitled to the benefits. Let's keep it real, she's doing all this talking about being here for most of her life, and leaving Japan at the age of 3, if she feels so British and its so important to her why is she dodging citizenship? 

She didn't deny herself of it. Japan literally continues to deny her of the right to be a British citizen and she is just as upset about Japan's nationalist views on migration. Again, she literally says she keeps her Japanese passport to make sure she can always visit her family and has come close to renouncing it but thinks that is letting nationalism win. She is British and she is Japanese. She has literally no power to impact immigration law in either country so she is pushing where she can. Why do you wanna be on the same side as Japanese nationalists? This whole contrarian act is so unbecoming and reactionary. 

Communion
2 minutes ago, TheFireLexus said:

Additionally, there's a reason she's agitating for the UK rules to be changed and not for Japan to allow her get dual citizenship. She knows the narrative she's trying to exploit won't fly at all in Japan, which says a lot about which country she truly believes to be intolerant in this situation.

You're literally suggesting changing the migration system of Japan is the same as changing the the rules of an award show that are not legally binding. 

The performative wokeness on race by some only to then give in to nationalistic ideas of migration and existence. :skull:

Letemtalk
1 hour ago, Communion said:

There's something to be said if Kylie Minogue had only Aussie citizenship that the award show's committee probably wouldn't have immediately sent her a condescending email telling her no. 

I'm not sure when Kylie got her British citizenship. Kylie Minogue has entered the BRIT awards as an international artist and has won the International Female Solo Artist category twice. So presumably Rina can enter the BRIT awards as an international artist.

Stevie

This is ridiculous. :shakeno:

TheFireLexus
Just now, Communion said:

You're literally suggesting changing the migration system of Japan is the same as changing the the rules of an award show that are not legally binding. 

The performative wokeness on race by some only to then give in to nationalistic ideas of migration and existence. :skull:

It's not the same, that's the point. The Japanese rules are what are truly intolerant here, and I would be fully in support of her if she were trying to challenge them, even if she had no hope of making an impact. An award is not a focal point of nationalism or human rights or "existence," especially when we're talking about a woman who, due to her Japanese passport and UK permanent residency, has unfettered access to two of the most prosperous economies on the planet, and to attempt to exploit those narratives in service of her own vanity is a disingenuous act.

Communion
3 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

I'm not sure when Kylie got her British citizenship.

My Kylie comparison was a theoretical on of Australia has as nationalist laws as Japan's. The point being the committee would have likely not been as rude as they were if it was a hugely popular British-Australian white artist who had the exact same circumstances and situation as Rina. 

Letemtalk
1 minute ago, Communion said:

My Kylie comparison was a theoretical on of Australia has as nationalist laws as Japan's. The point being the committee would have likely not been as rude as they were if it was a hugely popular British-Australian white artist who had the exact same circumstances and situation as Rina. 

But the thread is about someone who "can’t enter British Awards"

Not "British people are rude"

I just want to know if she can enter the BRIT awards the same way that Kylie Minogue did - as an international artist.

Communion
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TheFireLexus said:

It's not the same, that's the point. 

The only disingenuous thing about this conversation is trying to be contrarian in same weird revenge way to prove the UK as a nation is not nationalist or as bad as other places. :skull:

You're literally proving Rina's point. 

She isn't seeking awards in Japan. 

She isn't making music in Japan. 

She wants to be eligible for British awards because she is British! She speaks British English! Her album is recorded in British English! The album was recorded and mastered in Britain! She performs in Britain! She grew up in Britain and is British-educated!

You're being a contrarian cause "well Japan is at fault" doesn't actually do or say anything. Like..okay? AND? Rina is agreeing Japan is at fault. How does that in anyway mean a British music organization can't amend its rules to adjust to how nationalistic other countries wrongly are? You're being a contrarian cause your argument is a gotcha with no actual utility to the discussion at hand. 

Wanting Rina to openly condemn Japan's immigration system that she already takes issue with while groveling to be seen as British as some kind of weird revenge **** for your amusement doesn't make your argument look like it's actually done with the correct intentions. 

Thia is really a simple and clean cut issue that says a lot about anyone taking issue with an award show mending their rules to include permanent residents. If your only reaction is "but Japan!", you've outed yourself as the very same kind of nationalist you know Japan to be. Like how is the argument of "well her birth country is nationalist so **** her" even logical?

Edited by Communion

Communion
11 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

But the thread is about someone who "can’t enter British Awards"

Not "British people are rude"

The post I quoted said the issue at hand had nothing to do with racism and i

I made the argument that this would probably be a different conversation if it was someone from a European nation with strict immigration laws and not Japan, and so race does play a factor here. It"s not that confusing. 

frenchyisback

Not the Brits awards actually checking people citizenship status. :rip:

Canadian Mylene Farmer can't relate. French music shows welcome all artists signed at a french label or sing in French.

& in the US, 21Savage was nominated at the AMAs.

ShouldersSideways

I don't understand why people are in here defending this.  She's not asking to run for government. She's asking for a cultural institution to recognize her work and contributions to the culture she is a part of and grew up in.

At the very least they should be open to having a conversation about it and not completely shut it down or ice her out the way some of you in here clearly would. 

TheFireLexus
2 minutes ago, Communion said:

The only disingenuous thing about this conversation is trying to be contrarian in same weird revenge way to prove the UK as a nation is not nationalist or as bad as other places. :skull:

You're literally proving Rina's point. 

She isn't seeking awards in Japan. 

She isn't making music in Japan. 

She wants to be eligible for British awards because she is British! She speaks British English! Her album is recorded in British English! The album was recorded and mastered in Britain! She performs in Britain! She grew up in Britain and is British-educated!

You're being a contrarian cause "well Japan is at fault" doesn't actually do or say anything. Like..okay? AND? Rina is agreeing Japan is at fault. How does that in anyway mean a British music organization can't amend its rules to adjust to how nationalistic other countries wrong are? You're being a contrarian cause your argument is a gotcha with no actual utility to the discussion at hand. 

Wanting Rina to openly condemn Japan's immigration system that she already takes issue with whole groveling to be seen as British as some kind of weird revenge **** for your amusement doesn't make your argument look like it's actually done with the correct intentions. 

Thia is really a simple and clean cut issue that says a lot about anyone taking issue with an award show mending their rules to include permanent residents. If your only reaction is "but Japan!", you've outed yourself as the very same kind of nationalist you know Japan to be. Like how is the argument of "well her birth country is nationalist so **** her" even logical?

I don't care about any of this :michael: The woman chooses not to get British citizenship because she wants to retain her Japanese passport. That she has to forgo eligibility in certain categories for a vanity award is an insignificant price to pay when there are people who will never even get the choice :michael: This is not a nationalism or human rights issue, i's about her vanity :michael: The only person trying to be contrarian here or excusing nationalism here is you :michael: You look silly trying to equate an award to stroke this woman's ego with actual debates about human rights :michael:It's disrespectful to the people genuinely suffering due to these issues, tbh :michael:

15 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

I just want to know if she can enter the BRIT awards the same way that Kylie Minogue did - as an international artist.

She can, but she's not satisfied with that. She wants access to more categories. They should just relax the rules and then snub her so we can all move on peacefully.

Ampersand13

A literal crime.

Communion
5 minutes ago, TheFireLexus said:

I don't care about any of this

Of course you don't. You're a contrarian weaponizing and misappropriating concern about refugees and others just so you can defend a ****ty and ignorant set of rules. We can see you don't actually care about any of what's being discussed. 

UnusualBoy

All this mess over an awards show, it sucks but well :toofunny3:

Khal
13 minutes ago, TheFireLexus said:

She can, but she's not satisfied with that. She wants access to more categories. They should just relax the rules and then snub her so we can all move on peacefully.

:deadbanana2:

TheFireLexus
4 minutes ago, Communion said:

You're a contrarian weaponizing and misappropriating concern about refugees and others

You are the one who brought up nationalism and "migration and existence" here :michael:And given that you don't know me or my experience in life, I would suggest you refrain from casting these sort of aspersions :michael:Then again, that might be too much given the fact that you so staunchly believe in your own existence as the 'default' that you think anyone opposed to you must be explained away as 'contrary' :michael:

25 minutes ago, Communion said:

Wanting Rina to openly condemn Japan's immigration system

Nonsense :michael:I don't "want" anything from her :michael:I said I would be on her side if she did because that would be truly standing up to intolerance, not simply making an attempt at, as you say,  "weaponizing and misappropriating concern about refugees and others" so she can win a vanity award:michael:Given that the woman doesn't know me, I doubt it makes a difference to her if I am on her side or not :michael:

--

Anyway, it would be nice if they amended the rules to include permanent residents. At least people with indefinite leave to remain but who are still in no position to get citizenship would benefit, even if it would also benefit women like this one who are so spoiled with their access to two powerful nations that they consider an award, of all things, the biggest affront to their existence.

Javan
48 minutes ago, Communion said:

She didn't deny herself of it. Japan literally continues to deny her of the right to be a British citizen and she is just as upset about Japan's nationalist views on migration. Again, she literally says she keeps her Japanese passport to make sure she can always visit her family and has come close to renouncing it but thinks that is letting nationalism win. She is British and she is Japanese. She has literally no power to impact immigration law in either country so she is pushing where she can. Why do you wanna be on the same side as Japanese nationalists? This whole contrarian act is so unbecoming and reactionary. 

Not allowing nationalism to win by begging for an award that is apparently nationalist :thing:

Ichinaru19

That's very disappointing.

Nip Tuck
13 hours ago, Javan said:

I’m sorry but if she has been there 25 years and doesn’t have citizenship that is not an accident. She made a intentional decision not become one, probably for some technical financial advantage so she shouldn’t now cry that she is excluded. You can’t have your cake and eat it.
I’m sure she is going to exploit identity politics and the sensitivity that we have towards poor immigrants/refugees for sympathy when that’s far from her case.

For financial advantage? She pays British tax like everyone else there :rip:

Its because Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship and she doesn’t want to renounce her Japanese citizenship because her entire family lives there.

The point is she is just as British as everyone else who can get nominated, and has lived there for the majority of her life. The technicalities if citizenship shouldn’t be a barrier to entry.