BigBangStan

Rina Sawayama can’t enter British Awards

jpow

I can't believe Rina made STFU about the microaggressions she receives for being a Japanese woman living in the UK and then the Mercury Awards and the Brits decide to just deliver more microaggressions instead of trying to fix the problem she's already brought forward in her album.  

Robi

Law is a law :clap3:

Yog

This is so ****ed up :biblio:

Rep2000

Honestly not surprised. They could have updated the rules to be more inclusive to her case. But then this is the same country where Brexit happened, so... :rip:

theintriguingone

This is so messed up, i feel sorry for her. Hopefully they make an exception for her. 

NotAvaMax
59 minutes ago, Robi said:

Law is a law :clap3:

Pig

alfonso12
4 hours ago, Sept said:

Uhm, she doesn't have British citizen (which is HER choice) so of course she's not considered British. How is that surprising? 

I love her but this. They gotta have rules cause if not anyone could "apply" to the award.

Rev8

They should quickly fix this

lets backlash them

Scotland

Them acting like she's running for PM. It's just an awards show.. 

M-P-B

glad she's getting a lot of support on twitter  :clap3: 

SpaceMan
4 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Why is that?

Well Japanese aren't known for their good teeth either :rip:

lmao I just realize you are right :skull:

raven

So dumb :biblio: I feel so bad for her cause that album deserves 

6 hours ago, Romantica said:

This. I don't understand why people say this is dumb? Perhaps yall think she deserves to become Prime minister as well while not being an citizen?

it's an award show with rules that aren't written into British law.... it's not that deep sis :biblio:

MrLovett
1 hour ago, alfonso12 said:

I love her but this. They gotta have rules cause if not anyone could "apply" to the award.

Don't be ridiculous. She's a permanent resident of the UK, living here for two and a half decades. She should absolutely be eligible for the awards. The rules are absolutely nonsensical and should be changed.

Pendulum

People in here screaming racism when this could've happened to an artist of any race - no matter black, white or asian. 

The7thStranger

She's nationally Japanese and culturally British - educated and raised by the UK system. It's a BS rule, but I'm not shocked.

She should never give up that Japanese passport. The ILTR she has in the UK + Japanese passport is more valuable than merely a UK passport.

Communion
5 hours ago, Javan said:

I’m sorry but if she has been there 25 years and doesn’t have citizenship that is not an accident. She made a intentional decision not become one, probably for some technical financial advantage so she shouldn’t now cry that she is excluded. You can’t have your cake and eat it.
I’m sure she is going to exploit identity politics and the sensitivity that we have towards poor immigrants/refugees for sympathy when that’s far from her case.

She says in the article she pays taxes in the UK and the album was made in the UK. This is about how national identity and legal citizenship do not have to be one in the same. 

As she points out in the article, a band can be considered to be a British band in the same award show if 30% of their members are citizens and 50% are permanent residents, meaning if she called herself a band and listed her producer Clarence Clarity as her other member, she'd qualify to be British enough. 

Javan
1 hour ago, Communion said:

She says in the article she pays taxes in the UK and the album was made in the UK. This is about how national identity and legal citizenship do not have to be one in the same. 

As she points out in the article, a band can be considered to be a British band in the same award show if 30% of their members are citizens and 50% are permanent residents, meaning if she called herself a band and listed her producer Clarence Clarity as her other member, she'd qualify to be British enough. 

But the show is called The Brits. I’m pretty sure it’s short for British. Which she is not :giraffe:

Spoiler

If your hypothesis was correct, the band would be considered British enough. Not her. 

Communion
1 minute ago, Javan said:

But the show is called The Brits. I’m pretty sure it’s short for British. Which she is not :giraffe:

Hide contents

If your hypothesis was correct, the band would be considered British enough. Not her. 

Sis, this is needlessly pedantic and you're arguing in bad faith. I don't even know what you're trying to do by defending a very nationalist and reactionary understanding of identity. I'm shocked cause you're needlessly progressive. To argue Rina is not British is basically to argue for a kind of essentialism. Unless you have a weird personal issue with Rina, there's no progressive rationale to defend the idea that cultural identity is defined solely by citizenship. 

Squall
5 hours ago, jpow said:

A disgusting case of racism by these award shows and the racially insensitive members in here defending this action are almost as disgusting.  Rina deserves better.

It’s stupid and they should change the rules but this isn’t « racist », it’s just that they want their local show to reward artists from their own country, no matter their « race » :rip: 

They should have the same rules as the Juno Awards.

Communion
1 minute ago, Squall said:

It’s stupid and they should change the rules but this isn’t « racist », it’s just that they want their local show to reward artists from their own country, no matter their « race » :rip: 

They should have the same rules as the Juno Awards.

There's something to be said if Kylie Minogue had only Aussie citizenship that the award show's committee probably wouldn't have immediately sent her a condescending email telling her no. 

Bussea
7 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

well her teeth are really beautiful so I can get why she refuses the UK passport :clap3:

:rip:

St. Francis
Posted (edited)

This is a shame. She deserves to be nominated regardless of whether she's a citizen or not when she's lived in Britain mostly all her life. BRIT Awards are out of reach for her at the moment as she doesn't have commercial success yet, but Mercury is based on critical acclaim mainly and SAWAYAMA received that.

Edited by St. Francis

Javan
31 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis, this is needlessly pedantic and you're arguing in bad faith. I don't even know what you're trying to do by defending a very nationalist and reactionary understanding of identity. I'm shocked cause you're needlessly progressive. To argue Rina is not British is basically to argue for a kind of essentialism. Unless you have a weird personal issue with Rina, there's no progressive rationale to defend the idea that cultural identity is defined solely by citizenship. 

But British IS a national identity. I don't see whats so essential about that. My thing with Rina is that she could become a citizen today if she wanted to, there are actual migrants/refugees that would kill for that. She has chosen not to, her one caveat as that she can't be eligible for the brits. I dont see why I should cry for her.

Javan

The fact that she has #SAWAYAMAISBRITISH trending as if she's some poor refugee denied citizenship because of racism, when the only reason she is not British is because she has chosen not to be, does not sit right with me at all. The way she has mobilised her fans to appropriate the discourse of poor migrant human rights/anti-xenophobia activism, just so she can collect a vanity award is just

khZ14dW.gif

Communion
17 minutes ago, Javan said:

But British IS a national identity. I don't see whats so essential about that. My thing with Rina is that she could become a citizen today if she wanted to, there are actual migrants/refugees that would kill for that. She has chosen not to, her one caveat as that she can't be eligible for the brits. I dont see why I should cry for her.

Sis, you're losing any kind of moral highground you want by buying into the idea that a nation state is defined solely by its citizenry. This is the same mentality used by conservatives to vilify DACA kids or deny immigrants forms of aid. 

Music awards shows celebrate music, a cultural byproduct. A British award show would then celebrate music that is part of British culture. To suggest Rina is not culturally British despite living there since she was a child all because she is not a citizen is an extreme and essentialist view on identity and nationality, no matter how you wanna slice it.