BigBangStan

Rina Sawayama can’t enter British Awards

Letemtalk

Is she an actual "permanent resident", because the article keeps talking about this "indefinite leave to remain" and I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

For the New Zealand music Awards the rules state:

A.Must be New Zealand citizens (by birth or citizenship); or

B.Have been granted permanent residency

C. In the case of groups, a minimum of half of the number of members in the group must qualify under 2(a) or 2(b) above*.

I'm not sure why long term permanent residents wouldn't be eligible in the UK, if they have a long term commitment to the country.

24 minutes ago, lmnoc1 said:

The full name of the Mercury is Hyundai Mercury Awards. They let a south Korean company take over. That is just ironic...

:dies: 

BOOMBAYAH

yall acting very thick, we all know why she didn't get nominations :'(

07tandu
Posted (edited)

What a stupid rule especially as she's lived there most of her life.

Edited by 07tandu

Peroxide

Yeah this makes me sad for Rina. She absolutely deserved a nom.

Navyofbadgals

Some of y’all are trying way too hard to defend the BRITs and Mercury Prize and for what reason :deadbanana:

it’s stupid that she can’t enter and limits these award shows

Mikeymoonshine

Don't know why they wouldn't allow a permanent resident to be nominated that seems really over the top. On the other hand if Japan didn't have this outdated nationalistic citizenship policy she'd be able to get duel citizenship. 

Colbygg

she has lived in Britain for 25 years for goodness sake, this is disgusting. 

Sky Engineer

The japanese passport is the most powerful in the world, especially since Brixit lmao

SpaceMan

well her teeth are really beautiful so I can get why she refuses the UK passport :clap3:

MingYouToo
1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

She's been living in the UK since she was 5, how is she not British? The citizenship technicalities are ridiculous. 

This.

Argue legal jargon all yall want but fact of the matter is shes just as eligible as any other British born musician in these awards

80x100

local music award rules are so DUMB. sorry

Javan
1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

She's been living in the UK since she was 5, how is she not British? The citizenship technicalities are ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Do you really think that someone who has lived for 25 years in Britain, since 5, isn't  British enough to participate in an award show? 

Just because something is a law or a rule doesn't mean it's fair and sensible. This one certainly isn't. 

I’m sorry but if she has been there 25 years and doesn’t have citizenship that is not an accident. She made a intentional decision not become one, probably for some technical financial advantage so she shouldn’t now cry that she is excluded. You can’t have your cake and eat it.
I’m sure she is going to exploit identity politics and the sensitivity that we have towards poor immigrants/refugees for sympathy when that’s far from her case.

Javan
20 minutes ago, Sky Engineer said:

The japanese passport is the most powerful in the world, especially since Brixit lmao

Well there you go. You win some, you lose some. 

BOAZ

This reminds me when Anohni won the Mercury and there were controversy since she basically lived most of her life in NY. 

Sawayama deserves so I'm sorry for Rina. They should have considered her for a little rule-bending moment

Villanelle
2 minutes ago, Javan said:

I’m sorry but if she has been there 25 years and doesn’t have citizenship that is not an accident. She made a intentional decision not become one, probably for some technical financial advantage so she shouldn’t now cry that she is excluded. You can’t have your cake and eat it.
I’m sure she is going to exploit identity politics and the sensitivity that we have towards poor immigrants/refugees for sympathy when that’s far from her case.

She would have to renounce her Japanese citizenship. Her whole family lives there. I wouldn't do that either. 

british awards should relax the rules. This is more about common sense over some technicalities. 

Cloudy
32 minutes ago, Sky Engineer said:

The japanese passport is the most powerful in the world, especially since Brexit lmao

Why is that?

30 minutes ago, SpaceMan said:

well her teeth are really beautiful so I can get why she refuses the UK passport :clap3:

Well Japanese aren't known for their good teeth either :rip:

Katamari
36 minutes ago, Javan said:

I mean it’s a dumb rule but you aren’t wrong :michael:

Katamari
34 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

She would have to renounce her Japanese citizenship. Her whole family lives there. I wouldn't do that either. 

british awards should relax the rules. This is more about common sense over some technicalities. 

I agree about this too 

A lot of awards make exceptions. I’m sure after this she would eligible for next years brits cause this is gonna get massive backlash :dies:

Prince George

They should take notes from the Juno Awards in Canada. 

Eligible musicians are Canadian Citizens – “Canadian” is defined by CARAS to be: 50% or more of group members hold Canadianbirth certificates, passports or are CanadianPermanent Resident(s) with residency in Canada during the last six months of the eligibility period; 

Cookies n Cream

This is actually really disappointing. Rina has lived in Britain for 25 years and has contributed to the UK music scene. She absolutely should be eligible.

Cookies n Cream

How is it that New Zealand, Australia and Canada music institutions allow permanent residents as eligible for their awards but the UK can't?  Is 'indefinite leave to remain' different?

AvrilLaQueen

I think they should bend the rules for the "XS" singer

onapearl

****ing gross. Caught between two nationalistic former empires with bull**** rules.

She's too good to be subjected to this.

Gui Blackout
59 minutes ago, Javan said:

But she's not complaining about UK citizenship rules tho, she's complaining about those awards rules which are totally different entities. There's absolutely no reason why their rules should be so strict on citizenship to the point that someone like her who is British and lived practically her entire life in the UK (more than people like Dua Lipa) is excluded from the awards of her own country. It's wrong, period and they need to change it.

jpow

A disgusting case of racism by these award shows and the racially insensitive members in here defending this action are almost as disgusting.  Rina deserves better.