BigBangStan

Rina Sawayama can’t enter British Awards

BigBangStan

Thoughts? :biblio:

Edited by BigBangStan

willmcclure9

I’m surprised she isn’t a British citizen

dweebz

Just give her the nom if she deserves it.

Gui Blackout

So if you're an immigrant you not eligible? That's so ****ed up :biblio: 

Nip Tuck

What's the qualifications then because Rita who wasn't born in the UK got nominated? I'm sure there are other examples of this too.

Javan

Is she a citizen or not? 

Kendi

That's just dumb. She lived there basically all her live, but is not eligable because she wasn't born there...? Make it make sense.

Kendi
6 minutes ago, Nip Tuck said:

What's the qualifications then because Rita who wasn't born in the UK got nominated? I'm sure there are other examples of this too.

You have to be a a citizen, which she is not not because Japan does not allow dual citizenship. She is a permanent resident.

According to Rina, this wouldn’t be a problem if she was able to have dual citizenship. But Japan, the country of her birth, doesn’t allow dual nationality – and though she’s considered renouncing her citizenship in the past, she’s reluctant to cut ties with her birthplace.

“I have no family in the UK,” she explains, “they all live in Japan. So getting rid of my Japanese passport genuinely feels like I'm severing ties with them. I think a lot of people feel that way about their passports.”

At one point, though, Rina contemplated giving up her Japanese passport to become eligible. “Because I wanted it so bad,” she said. “But then I was like, it won't solve anything. I fundamentally don't agree with this definition of Britishness. I think I'm really British, and I don't like just sorting out a symptom of something and leaving the cause to someone else to deal with.”

Nip Tuck
1 minute ago, Kendi said:

You have to be a a citizen, which she is not not because Japan does not allow dual citizenship. She is a permanent resident.

Oh what??

They need to fix that ASAP. 

2NE1

Watch someone say this isn’t racist

Villanelle
2 minutes ago, Kendi said:

So dumb. Hopefully they can change rules for some silly award show. 

Sept

Uhm, she doesn't have British citizen (which is HER choice) so of course she's not considered British. How is that surprising? 

Gui Blackout
Just now, Sept said:

Uhm, she doesn't have British citizen (which is HER choice) so of course she's not considered British. How is that surprising? 

She's been living in the UK since she was 5, how is she not British? The citizenship technicalities are ridiculous. 

Phantom

This is quite sad and she should be made an exception for sure

No one should have to choose like this.... The compromise of bending the rules for her would allow her to circumvent this unnecessary choosing.

Romantica
4 minutes ago, Sept said:

This. I don't understand why people say this is dumb? Perhaps yall think she deserves to become Prime minister as well while not being an citizen?

Villanelle
1 minute ago, Romantica said:

This. I don't understand why people say this is dumb? Perhaps yall think she deserves to become Prime minister as well while not being an citizen?

Do you really think that someone who has lived for 25 years in Britain, since 5, isn't  British enough to participate in an award show? 

Just because something is a law or a rule doesn't mean it's fair and sensible. This one certainly isn't. 

Sept
13 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

She's been living in the UK since she was 5, how is she not British? The citizenship technicalities are ridiculous. 

By law she's not British and it's her choice to not change her citizenship to British. The British gov did not stop her from doing so

Daddy
19 minutes ago, 2NE1 said:

Watch someone say this isn’t racist

More a case of trashy bureaucracy that appears to be racist when It's really just that: stupid paperwork 

Kendi
2 minutes ago, Sept said:

By law she's not British and it's her choice to not change her citizenship to British. The British gov did not stop her from doing so

But it's not about law, it's not a law that says Rina is not eligable, it's these awards shows own rules. Interesting that other award shows can make it work, you just have to prove that you were a resident for that year. If Mercury or the BRITS had a rule like that the problem would be solved, it's not that hard.

Reza

So she is a permanent resident who cares :deadbanana2: . We all know why she isnt getting a nomination :dies: 

lmnoc1

The full name of the Mercury is Hyundai Mercury Awards. They let a south Korean company take over. That is just ironic...

MrLovett
25 minutes ago, Sept said:

Because that is somehow the problem here and not the monumentally stupid (self imposed) rules by the awarding bodies? :skull: She should not have to cut herself off from her family, so that she can get nominated at British award ceremonies, when she's lived here for over two decades. That's ridiculous.

DreamGlow

what kind of rules is that :rip: