rihannabiggestfan

Video Game & Video Game Graphics Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

rihannabiggestfan
Posted (edited)

I wanted this to be a thread where you can stan your favorite video games. For example, you can stan a certain video game's graphics or compare graphics of a certain video game across different consoles. 

 

For example, 2002's Jet Set Radio Future is an Xbox game whose cel-shaded graphics look fresh to this day.

 

jetsetradio.png?w=501&h=368

 

85

 

iYw6e2JRHmorHSqYL0nY9HYSoZ_b7rDbPtEnEPAa

 

 

For example, I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory may be the game that looks the MOST different based on whether you play it on Xbox or Playstation. Let's compare some scenes from the PS2 version and the Xbox version (the game itself is identical, released on the same day in 2005)

 

The Xbox was released in 2001, and PS2 was released in 2000.

 

0fy4Xxl.jpeg

 

kVFQx1M.jpeg

 

PS2 is kinda serving PS1 graphics (the arms :rip:), while Xbox is serving early Xbox 360 graphics. Let's see some more scenes

 

CdO6IVZ.jpeg

 

ewDU0p8.jpeg

 

sRnXYcG.jpeg

 

46ILcHB.jpeg

 

J0eN70Z.jpeg

 

7Ojl5WQ.jpeg

 

:rip: 

 

Here is Need for Speed Pro Street. Let's compare the Xbox 360 version to the Wii version. 

 

The Xbox 360 was released in 2005, and the Wii was released in 2006

 

WGicQne.jpeg

 

H4KbFaK.jpeg

 

:bibliahh:

 

and the gag is that the Wii version looks even worse than the PS2 version. The Wii, a 2006 console, serving 90s graphics in 2007 - I had to laugh. Look at how blurry everything is, especially the license plate.

 

MWLgxY3.jpeg

 

Speaking of blurry graphics, look at the PS2 here. I'm going blind :rip: much worse than the Gamecube and SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the Xbox version.

 

kQUlOH1.jpeg

 

Please post other examples :lakitu:

 

 

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
selena_lavigne

I love the OG super mario 360 graphics. :cm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kelly-clarkson

I'm still amazed to see how good Kingdom Hearts 1 looks considering it was released on 2002. I still enjoy to play it.

 

Firaga_KH.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, kelly-clarkson said:

I'm still amazed to see how good Kingdom Hearts 1 looks considering it was released on 2002. I still enjoy to play it.

 

Firaga_KH.gif

An amazing game. That and KH2 are the only Playstation exclusives I've played (on PC emulator). I played both on ultra graphics, but the fact that I preferred how KH1 looked >. Amazing art style

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kelly-clarkson
2 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

An amazing game. That and KH2 are the only Playstation exclusives I've played (on PC emulator). I played both on ultra graphics, but the fact that I preferred how KH1 looked >. Amazing art style

Yesss, it's amazing :flame:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan
6 minutes ago, kelly-clarkson said:

Yesss, it's amazing :flame:

I actually stanned it in this thread :gaycat4:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kelly-clarkson
2 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

I actually stanned it in this thread :gaycat4:

 

 

 

 

You better stan :clap3:

Every aspect from the first KH was amazing. Not to mention it was a risky release (at that time) because no one thought a combination of Final Fantasy & Disney characters would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
May

There’s a recent mod for the sims 1 which allows for it to be fully 3D, can you imagine how ahead of its time it would’ve been? :jonny: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan
1 minute ago, May said:

There’s a recent mod for the sims 1 which allows for it to be fully 3D, can you imagine how ahead of its time it would’ve been? :jonny: 

 

WOW, how did I not know about this? Sims 1 Complete Collection is the only Sims game I like, and it looks even better like this, whew :jonny: I would like to experience it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skwonderfactory

The Destroy All Humans! remake looks amazing :jonny5:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oxy

Unpopular opinion :

As much as i enjoy new gen graphics but i prefer ps2 era visuals.

those crunchy/ rough around the edges designs still looks more enjoyable.

My issue is video games are so polished to the point where it feels like interactive movie instead. I miss the hardcore gaming with simple stories, crazy character design and the stupid npc's.

 

TatteredUnrulyDore-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_o99oog5Lsn1tyi1vjo1_500.gifv

bZswZ4.gif

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oni
Posted (edited)

I looove the stage art of 2d fighting games, especially if it's pixel art.

 

Guilty-Gear-XX-Reload-Arcade-Video-Game-

 

1_nw0mk39.gif

 

l6Xgvsw.gif

 

NAPUn0w.gif

 

ggxx-stage-babylon.gif

 

1_bmq9apc.gif

 

jTQ0gbh.gif

 

 

Edited by Oni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legendairy

TLOU in PS3, a graphical marvel

 

The Last Of Us™ Remastered - Ellie And Joel Driving To Pittsburgh ...

 The Last of Us™ Remastered - Ellie and Joel driving to Pittsburgh ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oxy
55 minutes ago, kelly-clarkson said:

I'm still amazed to see how good Kingdom Hearts 1 looks considering it was released on 2002. I still enjoy to play it.

 

Firaga_KH.gif

I stan your taste...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oxy

This thread is food for they eyes :smitten:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legendairy

See just how different Nathan Drake looks in Uncharted 4 on PS4 ...

Nathan Drake from Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Nathan Drake!!!                                                                                                                                                     Más

Naughty Dog's decision to make Nathan drake even more handsome. I just can't. Sometimes he gets a bit distracting in U4, stopping the game for photomode cause he just look so dashing in tux, back then the old Drake model was just there. 

 

Not to mention how rugged he is.

Nathan Drake & Elena Fisher - Uncharted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oni
2 minutes ago, Oxy said:

Unpopular opinion :

As much as i enjoy new gen graphics but i prefer ps2 era visuals.

those crunchy/ rough around the edges designs still looks more enjoyable.

My issue is video games are so polished to the point where it feels like interactive movie instead. I miss the hardcore gaming with simple stories, crazy character design and the stupid npc's.

 

TatteredUnrulyDore-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_o99oog5Lsn1tyi1vjo1_500.gifv

bZswZ4.gif

giphy.gif

 

You spilled. The obsession with realism and next gen graphics is honestly hurting the video game industry. :michael:

Even if a game achieves a new high in video game graphics, that won't leave a strong impression if the story, gameplay, music and characters aren't up to par. And often with trying to strive for realism in graphics, the appeal is momentary, you won't play a game (again) because of the graphics, and there's always the issue with such graphics being dated in a few years time and being uncanny valley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oxy
2 minutes ago, Oni said:

You spilled. The obsession with realism and next gen graphics is honestly hurting the video game industry. :michael:

Even if a game achieves a new high in video game graphics, that won't leave a strong impression if the story, gameplay, music and characters aren't up to par. And often with trying to strive for realism in graphics, the appeal is momentary, you won't play a game (again) because of the graphics, and there's always the issue with such graphics being dated in a few years time and being uncanny valley. 

Agreed,

Here's praying for a resurgence of those kind of games with modern sprinkles, same way Shovel Knight and others helped with 2d pixels rebirth movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can't_M!ss_This

I liked Twilight Princess for the GameCube. A few years later I was dating this guy and he had the Wii version and I was like "wth didn't the GameCube version look better?" and he agreed. 

 

Skyrim has some stunning shots. I like how the same place can look different each time you go there, depending on time and weather. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan
3 minutes ago, Can't_M!ss_This said:

I liked Twilight Princess for the GameCube. A few years later I was dating this guy and he had the Wii version and I was like "wth didn't the GameCube version look better?" and he agreed. 

 

Skyrim has some stunning shots. I like how the same place can look different each time you go there, depending on time and weather. 

 

 

Omg. I have Twilight Princess for the Wii. DREADFUL graphics. Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 looks better than many Wii games. I guess Wii is just NOT optimized for gaming at all. I know it's more powerful than the Gamecube (barely!) and Nintendo 64, but at least Nintendo cared about graphics back then and actually tried to have A+ graphics so I'm sure they optimized better. I don't know how SMG 1 and 2 managed to look decent, but most Wii games (especially third party ones) ... yikes. 

 

The fact that there are several Nintendo 64, PS2, and Gamecube games (let alone Xbox, PS3, and Xbox 360 games) that look better than Wii games :clown:

 

fjPVHlD.png

 

 

GBbzF8d.png

 

:bibliahh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can't_M!ss_This
3 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Omg. I have Twilight Princess for the Wii. DREADFUL graphics. Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 looks better than many Wii games. I guess Wii is just NOT optimized for gaming at all. I know it's more powerful than the Gamecube (barely!) and Nintendo 64, but at least Nintendo cared about graphics back then and actually tried to have A+ graphics so I'm sure they optimized better. I don't know how SMG 1 and 2 managed to look decent, but most Wii games (especially third party ones) ... yikes. 

 

The fact that there are several Nintendo 64, PS2, and Gamecube games (let alone Xbox, PS3, and Xbox 360 games) that look better than Wii games :clown:

 

fjPVHlD.png

 

 

GBbzF8d.png

 

:bibliahh:

 

Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I fell out of love with Nintendo systems. Like, don't charge me hundreds of dollars for a system and then 60% of a $100 bill and give me games that aren't up to par with the barest minimum of the specs of the day. 

 

When I played TP, it was on a 480i CRT tv whose most advanced feature was that it had a flat glass display instead of a typical curved screen. So it's not like it would've been HD no matter what Nintendo did. But the Wii could at least do 480p if you hooked it up to a compatible TV and paid extra for a special adapter cable, which I did. I never got to really take advantage of it because my aforementioned tv didn't have 480p but a roommate at the time had a tiny ass 720p HDTV and I hooked it up doing that and it did make Wii and GameCube games I had with progressive scan look much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hongbin

:gaygacat4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan
Posted (edited)

The fact that the 2 most successful consoles for over 95% of this millennium were literally the 2 consoles with the worst graphics (PS2 and Wii) ... talent lost, sad. I guess that's what happens when you're more focused on making DVD players and motion controls than making a console that can run graphically powerful games :cm:

 

:clap3: to the PS2 and Wii games that managed to look good tho, it was worth the creativity/extremely arduous effort!

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hongbin
1 minute ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

The fact that the 2 most successful consoles for over 95% of this millennium were literally the 2 consoles with the worst graphics (PS2 and Wii) ... talent lost, sad. I guess that's what happens when you're more focused on making DVD players and motion controls than making a console that can run graphically powerful games :cm:

Who cares about graphics if your game has tired, mechanics,  basic visual art direction, bad writing, bad gamplay ect. I'll be remembering PS1 and PS2 era graphics games with good art direction more fondly that games with basic hyper realistic art direction from the PS3 and PS4 era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Can't_M!ss_This

Far Cry 5 also looks really good. I haven't played it much since I got stuck in this stealth mission I'm apparently incapable of beating but there were a lot of times I was struck by how pretty the game world was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites