SelenaTheWinner

Why was Bad Liar/Fetish Selena so underappreciated?

Do you like this Selena better than Rare Selena and Revival Selena?   

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this Selena better than Rare Selena and Revival Selena?

• Bad Liar/Fetish Selena >>>
    • Revival Selena >>>
    • Rare Selena >>>
    • It Aint Me/Wolves Selena >>>

SelenaTheWinner
Posted (edited)

Its been 3 Years since Selena Gomez released Fetish & Bad Liar! She created something so beautiful And put a start to the vertical videos trend. 

Why was Bad Liar/Fetish Selena so underappreciated? ... 

When she released those songs she was so hated here on ATRL & on Twitter. And it wasnt really a commercial success as well. Radios also didnt support. Didnt even play Fetish. She was bashed on ATRL & Twitter for her "bad" music and her "bad" looks back then. Everyone compared with Revival/Good For You/Hands To Myself/It Aint Me and hated this new Selena. 

And NOW everyone cities Bad Liar/Fetish singles/videos as her BEST and her artistic peak. And how she should go back to that. 

Bad Liar also become her most acclaimed song till Lose You To Love Me came out. Both deserve/deserved Grammy nominations. So did The Heart, Fetish & It Aint Me. 

40.1k Likes, 368 Comments - Petra Collins (@petrafcollins) on ...

Selena Gomez - Fetish Artwork (4 of 4) | Last.fm

In "Bad Liar", Selena Gomez plays a mother who's the wife of a ...

Everything Wrong With Selena Gomez - "Bad Liar" — Music Video Sins

Reviews in for Selena Gomez's 'Bad Liar' Music Video | Baaz

Selena Gomez insisted on a lesbian storyline for 'Bad Liar' | Revelist

Selena Gomez Explains The Meaning Behind Her Music Video: 'Fetish ...

Selena Gomez DID THAT With New Single "Fetish"

Selena Gomez and Petra Collins: Secret World | Dazed

Selena Gomez just released her steamy new song 'Fetish' - Business ...

Selena Gomez - Fetish Artwork (3 of 4) | Last.fm

Selena Gomez Gets Weird In 'Fetish' Music Video! – Jon ALi's Blog

Selena Gomez reveals the meaning behind her new 'Fetish' video ...

FETISH SELENA GOMEZ on We Heart It

Selena Gomez | Moda, Stylizacje, Inspiracja

144 Best favorite photographers images | Photography inspo ...

Selena Gomez - Bad Liar by Flavs9701 on DeviantArt

Selena Gomez - Bad Liar Photoshoot 2017

1000  images about Bad Liar trending on We Heart It

Selena Gomez Bad Liar | Selena, Selena gomez, Selena gomez style

Selena Selenagomez blonde bad liar badliar | Selena, Selena gomez ...

Selena Gomez's Blonde Hair in the Bad Liar Music Video | POPSUGAR ...

The Story Behind Selena Gomez's Costumes in Her 'Dazed & Confused ...

Selena Gomez's 'Risk' Bracelet Has Fans Concerned for Her Safety ...

Selena Gomez x "Bad Liar" Promo (out now) | Selena gomez ...

You got a fetish for my love on We Heart It

Selena Wears Nothing but Spanx in Bad Liar Video | E! News Australia

bad liar | selena gomez | Selena gomez, Selena, Bad liar selena

bad liar | selena gomez | Selena gomez hot, Selena gomez, Selena

Hershey (Harshita) | Selena gomez style, Selena gomez photos ...

Do you like this Selena better than Rare Selena and Revival Selena?

And should she go back to that sound/look? :) 

zehnxdaya: you got a fetish for my love…

Fetish GIF by Selena Gomez - Find & Share on GIPHY

Fetish GIF by Selena Gomez - Find & Share on GIPHY

Selena gomez fetish GIF - Find on GIFER

Fetish gif 4 » GIF Images Download

Edited by SelenaTheWinner

imsorare

1. People weren't ready for it.

2. She barely did any promotion of the songs besides a few radio interviews.

3. Revival Selena is the best. She was the most confident back then and put out great performances.

Caesar

Fetish could've smashed if she changed the name to For My Love or something

DearSociety13

‘Revival’ Selena is better & has yet to be topped.

But I did love these two gems & I would’ve loved the ‘Seven Heavens’ (2017) album. The aesthetic was beautiful & I also really want to see the ‘Love Story’ short film she made with Petra :foxaylove3:

I remember being quite disappointed when ‘Bad Liar’ only peaked at #20 & ‘Fetish’ at #27 but this was due to Selena being unable to promote the singles, which she explained in her kidney transplant post.

Martyr Of Fame

Bad Liar is universally acclaimed. 

It’s also better than anything on her album. 

pavi

Was it really that panned at arrival? I can't remember, always loved the songs

One Rude Boy

I feel like it’s very accurately appreciated on this forum - it’s the best Selena. Super under appreciated by the GP though

SelenaTheWinner
Just now, pavi said:

Was it really that panned at arrival? I can't remember, always loved the songs

Fans & ATRLers HATED it on arrival. Bashed Selena for her music, voice & looks. And now everyone mention those songs as her best projects. 

Media/Reviewers loved Bad Liar tho, it became her most acclaimed song at the time. 

Fetish was barely mentioned anywhere or played on radio. 

She released them during her kidney transplant and didnt do promo or released an album at the time. 

Ampersand13

It was almost a complete 180 from her previous image.

Bad Liar was not nearly as accessible as the Revival singles and Fetish might’ve been her almost explicit track yet. She was bound to take a dip commercially, especially because she couldn’t promote them either.

In the end, however, I think the droplets era paved the way for a more mature, distinguished, and successful career. She received critical praise for Bad Liar and Fetish, got a worldwide SMASH with It Ain’t Me and Back to You, not to mention Taki Taki and Wolves. Selena kind of won in the end. She didn’t have to sacrifice artistic integrity, gained critical acclaim, a wider fan base, and then smashed with her comeback single LYTLM.

SelenaTheWinner

Post Malone

It was too experimental

One Rude Boy

SelenaTheWinner
Just now, Ampersand13 said:

It was almost a complete 180 from her previous image.

Bad Liar was not nearly as accessible as the Revival singles and Fetish might’ve been her almost explicit track yet. She was bound to take a dip commercially, especially because she couldn’t promote them either.

In the end, however, I think the droplets era paved the way for a more mature, distinguished, and successful career. She received critical praise for Bad Liar and Fetish, got a worldwide SMASH with It Ain’t Me and Back to You, not to mention Taki Taki and Wolves. Selena kind of won in the end. She didn’t have to sacrifice artistic integrity, gained critical acclaim, a wider fan base, and then smashed with her comeback single LYTLM.

Facts. 

gif set – Selena Gomez

And since you mentioned Back To You - now one of Selena's most successful solo singles - I remember people on ATRL bashing the song so hard "EDM reject" bla bla and its not even EDM AT ALL and now also love the song and always vote for that song as their favorite just like with Bad Liar & Fetish. I guess when something is different at the time and unexpected for the artist, people HATE it right away and then with time becomes their favorite. Longevity. 

Another thing I Love about Selena - it would be the easiest for her to rely on sexy princess looks and Come & Get It POP bops for success, but she NEVER does it and always tries something different musically & looks wise. And I think people like that about her. Of course, ATRL underrates her and discredits her, but the GP supports her, which is more important. :)

Bored Tongue GIF by Selena Gomez - Find & Share on GIPHY

Surprise Omg GIF by Selena Gomez - Find & Share on GIPHY

Drama Reaction GIF by Selena Gomez - Find & Share on GIPHY

teresaguidice

fetish is weirdly overrated here. it was just a good for you rehash. at least they were trying something with bad liar, though it just screams julia michaels in a way that overshadows selena. i'm not sure if this was clear at the time or it's only now in retrospect that we've had more exposure to julia's solo songs. 

Ampersand13
3 minutes ago, SelenaTheWinner said:

Facts. 

And since you mentioned Back To You - now one of Selena's most successful solo singles - I remember people on ATRL bashing the song so hard "EDM reject" bla bla and its not even EDM AT ALL and now also love the song and always vote for that song as their favorite just like with Bad Liar & Fetish. I guess when something is different at the time and unexpected for the artist, people HATE it right away and then with time becomes their favorite. Longevity. 

Another thing I Love about Selena - it would be the easiest for her to rely on sexy princess looks and Come & Get It POP bops for success, but she NEVER does it and always tries something different musically & looks wise. And I think people like that about her. Of course, ATRL underrates her and discredits her, but the GP supports her, which is more important. :)

Truly. I loved Back to You from the first time I heard. The lyrics in the first verse alone are a career highlight. Not to mention the GORGEOUS music video! UGH. The videos for the droplets era are also massively under appreciated in my opinion. 

Slate

the droplets era was EVERYTHING, the fact that we never got an album from it :weeps: the aesthetics, the music, everything >>>

i started stanning during the revival era and i remember listening to bad liar for the first time and being so impressed, it was everything i wanted from her

Rev8

Yaaa, it was truly something

I think I prefer the songs between the Rare and Revival era, to that of the Rare album

and prolly even Revival

Kimi

Bad Liar and Fetish are better than anything released by an ex act 

SelenaTheWinner
7 minutes ago, Kimi said:

Bad Liar and Fetish are better than anything released by an ex act 

<3 

selena gomez gifs

Aaron
Posted (edited)

She definitely was not hated on ATRL during that time. People wouldn’t shut up about how artistic, edgy, and experimental she was with BL and Fetish, and she of course garnered tons of sympathy for her health issues that summer. Nice revisionism, though! Also, Bad Liar is & always has been 10/10 pop perfection, but Fetish is really bad and should be left out of this conversation. 

Edited by Aaron

GuyNextDoor

Those visuals :jonny5:

I want the original album to be released/leaked.

OT:

I think people were not ready for Fetish/Bad Liar tbh, also, they are growers.

It took me almost one year to appreciate these masterpieces :'(

dreamofyou
Posted (edited)

the bad liar/fetish era was it! i wish she did more promo and released the OG SG2:monkey: but revival selena >>>>

Edited by dreamofyou

RideOrDie

Good For You, Same Old Love, Bad Liar, Fetish, It Ain't Me and even Back To You were Selena at her peak. She served maturity, elegance, camp, sexy, classy and fun all at the same time.

Lose You To Love Me was okay and the GP ate it up, she could have used that opportunity to deliver an acclaimed and successful project. Insted what we got was the same ol **** but even worse. Look At Her Now was a horrible song with a horrible video, Rare was decent and the video was fun but it was very Tumblr-y and not the natural progression for her career. Put all of that with a half baked album, almost no promotion and just horrible choices, it's no surprise that this happened.

SelenaTheWinner

Get in! :)

NumbFentyStan

Bad Liar, Fetish, and Wolves was THAT 1-2-3 punch! All three are kind of in her all time Top5 - just amazing :jamming: 

BlackoutZone

Good question, I can't believe masterpieces like Bad Liar or Fetish went nearly unnoticed and snubbed from the album, but atrocious trash like Bad to You became a hit