Raspberry Swirl

Lil Nas X: musical or marketing genius?

What is/are the main factor(s) in his success?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Lil Nas X is successful because he is a:

• Musical AND marketing genius
    • Marketing genius

Raspberry Swirl

ATRLer and Redditor Lil Nas X came out of nowhere in late 2018 and has seemingly become an overnight sensation, nabbing the longest-running BBH100 #1 song and a massive social media presence...

...but what do you think about his music

Does it offer anything fresh and exciting that is worthy of recognition? Do you think he shows musical innovation and potential and deserves more respect for his artistry? Can his work stand alone without the memes? Do you think he'll be playing festivals decades later?

This is not a shady thread. I love that a Black gay man has achieved colossal success with just his debut. It's just that I've seen people drag him here and offsite for being a meme (which I'm sure he'll admit), but I've also seen some people legitimately enjoy his work, so I wonder if there's more to his art. We do need to acknowledge talent.

Kylie Jenner

I like him and his music. Does it really need to be any deeper than that?

Caesar

how about neither

Jaay

I think he has made bops that people that like them bop to. The fact that a black gay man can just release bops like straight men have done for a while, is really all that needs to be looked for. It’s fantastic. This is coming from someone that is not a fan of him music at all, but his success still makes me happy. 

Raspberry Swirl
2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

how about neither

Regardless of what you think of him, you have to admit he played the charts like a fiddle. :michael:

shookspeare

bad music, dumb gimmick. he won't be remembered in 5 years, but who cares bc he has enough money to last for the rest of his life if he was smart about it 

G'Day

I think Old Town Road was a genuinely good song (not great or spectacular but very good and undeniably different and unique)

The marketing part came in with how he was able to finesse the charts into making it the longest #1 ever because he came from the stan world and knew so much about how charts work

Raspberry Swirl
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

bad music, dumb gimmick. he won't be remembered in 5 years, but who cares bc he has enough money to last for the rest of his life if he was smart about it 

Spoiler

It's funny you would post here because a conversation with Fiona stans was what started this :deadbanana2:

Back when Lil Nassies were dragging Fiona for her 'where's my money' joke, I made a shady comment about him in the Fiona discord and they all jumped to his defense saying his music is good. Not to mention Fiona herself has praised him and she gives praise out very rarely :rip:. Of course I trust my taste but I'm just wondering, am I missing anything :psyduck:

Edited by Raspberry Swirl

ryoncé

he cant even sing one note on key....

how dumb is the world to have given him a #1, much less the longest running #1?????? absurd 

Аshanti
4 hours ago, Raspberry Swirl said:

came out of nowhere in late 2018 and has seemingly become an overnight sensation

That's not true. He was spamming souncloud link to Old Town Road on reddit for months

He has a great personality and catchy music. That's about it

4kkEkXM.gif

shookspeare
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Raspberry Swirl said:
  Hide contents

It's funny you would post here because a conversation with Fiona stans was what started this :deadbanana2:

Back when Lil Nassies were dragging Fiona for her 'where's my money' joke, I made a shady comment about him in the Fiona discord and they all jumped to his defense saying his music is good. Not to mention Fiona herself has praised him and she gives praise out very rarely :rip:. So I'm just wondering, am I missing anything :psyduck:

no, i don't think you are

don't give into the bullies

shookspeare said you had potential

spyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebc

spyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebcb887f1ff08e79b9f3d28fe0ed.jpg

Edited by shookspeare

Buffy

One hit wonder

Roman Holiday

His EP didn’t impress me. Sonically its just a less interesting JuiceWRLD. 

JEWRJEWR

neither

Dula Peep

:sherlock: one hit wonder 

Raspberry Swirl
18 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

no, i don't think you are

don't give into the bullies

shookspeare said you had potential

spyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebc

Spoiler

I Know.mp3

It's more of Fiona praising him that really THREW me :deadbanana2:

Thanks

This thought, I've just been sucking it in so long that I'm bursting at the seams.

spyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebcspyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebcspyroredditcollection2.thumb.jpg.3075ebc

bad guy

Neither. His sound is kind of like Juice WRLD and XXX mixed with Tik Tok meme production. I thought F9mily was a cool track but I feel like he missed his chance at becoming more than a one hit wonder.

Raspberry Swirl
30 minutes ago, Аshanti said:

That's not true. He was spamming souncloud link to Old Town Road on reddit for months

4kkEkXM.gif

Yes I knew of this. I still find it messy how he acted like it was an unknown song. :bibliahh:

americanlife

His music is not good, but he is not bad at marketing. He studied the industry during his time on stan Twitter so he knew what to do when OTR became a hit.

4kkEkXM.gif

Madame X

meh, i like otr and he knew what he was doing to market it but i wouldnt go that far.

well see with his new song. 

-brian

it’s not that deep

yes his marketing was good, which brought him exposure, but the reason it was so massive was because people enjoyed the song a lot and listened to it a lot.. not because he was a twitter stan 

BlondGuts

I don’t know if this makes sense but is he getting hype all just for his identity? For being a black gay man making music in the hip hop scene?

which I’m not denying that it’s great and I’m happy that he can express himself freely, but ... is his music actually quality? I’ve always just viewed him as a meme artist

2NE1
45 minutes ago, Аshanti said:

4kkEkXM.gif

OTR  went viral like 6 months before it actually blew up cause of Emoblackthot

moonlitdick
26 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Neither. His sound is kind of like Juice WRLD and XXX mixed with Tik Tok meme production. I thought F9mily was a cool track but I feel like he missed his chance at becoming more than a one hit wonder.

Punani was a hit

BGXKB
24 minutes ago, BlondGuts said:

I don’t know if this makes sense but is he getting hype all just for his identity? For being a black gay man making music in the hip hop scene?

which I’m not denying that it’s great and I’m happy that he can express himself freely, but ... is his music actually quality? I’ve always just viewed him as a meme artist

Mess @ u implying being gay is good for business. :skull:

Anyway, he came out after the song went number one. I don’t think it helped to say the least.