Gambert

Bigger Solo Career : Zayn vs Harry Styles

Bigger Solo Career : Zayn vs Harry Styles  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. Bigger Solo Career : Zayn vs Harry Styles

    • Zayn
      11
    • Harry Styles
      45


Recommended Posts

Gambert
Posted (edited)

Bigger

Edited by Gambert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rev8

no competition

Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jijie101

Zayn has three mega hits (Pillowtalk, Dusk Till Dawn and IDWLF) that were all bigger than any Harry song, so Zayn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassandrae

Harry. 

 

I literally only know Pillow Talk from Zayn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caesar
4 minutes ago, jijie101 said:

Zayn has three mega hits (Pillowtalk, Dusk Till Dawn and IDWLF) that were all bigger than any Harry song, so Zayn.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kwame

I feel like Harry by a little but if Zayn really wanted it, definitely would be Zayn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RULES
11 minutes ago, jijie101 said:

Zayn has three mega hits (Pillowtalk, Dusk Till Dawn and IDWLF) that were all bigger than any Harry song, so Zayn.

I’m gonna go with Zayn as well but if Harry has another successful era it’s over. Zayn first album song well better than Harry first album. 
 

3 minutes ago, Kwame said:

I feel like Harry by a little but if Zayn really wanted it, definitely would be Zayn

This is what people aren’t understanding. If Zayn wanted that title he could get it easily. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aristocrat

Harry is without a doubt bigger.

 

Zayn makes better music tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SignificantOther

Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGuyGoneGhetto
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, cassandrae said:

Harry. 

 

I literally only know Pillow Talk from Zayn

 

47 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

no competition

Harry

 

As of now, “Pillow Talk” and “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” are BIGGER than any Styles song, both of which placed at #1 and #2 on the Hot 100 and were Global smash-hits. 

 

“Mind of Mine” is BIGGER than any Styles album.

 

However, should Styles have another era as big as “Fine Line” then he’ll surpass Malik for sure due to stronger consistency.

 

Styles will also end up becoming the touring act in the future (due to Malik not touring) and will easily sell out arenas/stadiums so he could become the bigger force. 

 

 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikeyace16

Harry by far. Niall is also bigger than Zayn tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikeyace16
10 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

 

 

As of now, “Pillow Talk” and “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” are BIGGER than any Styles song, both of which placed at #1 and #2 on the Hot 100 and were Global smash-hits. 

 

“Mind of Mine” is BIGGER than any Styles album.

 

However, should Styles have another era as big as “Fine Line” then he’ll surpass Malik for sure due to stronger consistency.

 

Styles will also end up becoming the touring act in the future (due to Malik not touring) and will easily sell out arenas/stadiums so he could become the bigger force. 

 

 

Taylor was the reason IDWLF was a smash :sorry: it was her first new song post 1989 era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirrtydiana

Zayn. I mean he hasn’t even tried. Even his debut was about not wanting to work in the group :skull:

 

anyway Harry is enjoying great success and he’s earned it as he works for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGuyGoneGhetto
3 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

Taylor was the reason IDWLF was a smash :sorry: it was her first new song post 1989 era.

:rip:
 

...And “Pillow Talk”, his debut single, was still a 2-week #1 and 16 week T10 on the Hot 100.

 

Either way, he scored TWO Global hits. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SleepingTigers

Adore You had longer longevity on the Hpt 100 despite peaking lower and Watermelon Sugar looks to be a easy hit already and had two number 1 albums back to back. So I’d have to say Harry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katamari
1 hour ago, jijie101 said:

Zayn has three mega hits (Pillowtalk, Dusk Till Dawn and IDWLF) that were all bigger than any Harry song, so Zayn.

And?

 

harrys tour and his albums are bigger

 

not mention his media appearances and social media too (maybe) a few cute and forgotten songs don’t make a legacy :sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katamari
23 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

Harry by far. Niall is also bigger than Zayn tbh 

He is but Atrl is note ready for that conversation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bad guy

Honestly Zayn. His album bombed yet still managed to surpass 1B streams which is pretty impressive considering he just drops his music and does nothing afterwards. Plus he’s had massive hits that Harry has never had.

 

Fine Line is bigger than any Zayn album though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pxxxtrick

Harry and Niall are both bigger than Zayn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Em1794
10 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

:rip:
 

...And “Pillow Talk”, his debut single, was still a 2-week #1 and 16 week T10 on the Hot 100.

 

Either way, he scored TWO Global hits. 

 

 

It was not a 2 week #1. It was one of the weakest #1 in recent years, actually.

 

The chart run was 1 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 8 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 9 - 12 - 15 - 20 - 26 - 30 - 36 - 38 - 48 - out

 

1 week number 1, 3 weeks top 5, 13 weeks top 10, 24 weeks total

 

It was definitely a huge hit but it’s not what you’ve built up in your head...

 

Also keep in mind timing. One Direction had their last performance together on December 13 2015. Pillowtalk came out January 31 2016. Six weeks later. Obviously everyone had built up anticipation... To top that, there was controversy because Zayn had left his fiancée of three years (who’s a huge celeb in the UK, at this point more famous than him), via text message and hooked up with a supermodel, and included her in his music video... And Zayn was talking smack about 1D at every chance he got. Saying he wanted to leave the band since the beginning.

 

After Pillowtalk, Zayn released several other singles. All of which flopped. His album had underwhelming sales (157K - for comparison’s sake, a year later Harry would get 230K first week without bundles). It took Mind of Mine three years to scan Platinum (released March 25th 2016, certified May 20th 2019), and this is with Pillowtalk (at that point) being 4x Platinum. Mind of Mine only charted for 25 weeks in Billboard 200, meanwhile Harry’s self titled debut charter for 44 weeks. It scanned Platinum in half the time Mind of Mine did as well.


Then Zayn’s other huge single was IDWLF but that was absolutely Taylor’s. It was the first song she released since 1988. It was also the only song she had on Spotify for six months (the song came out Dec 2016 and she would put her discography back on in June 2017).

 

Zayn released more singles after that. Once again, all of them flopped, until Sia came along and they did Dusk Till Dawn, which was NOT a hit in the US. It peaked at 44. It was really big worldwide but it was released while Cheap Thrills was still big... so... yeah. That was Sia’s.

 

Since then, Zayn released more singles and an album, and then more singles. Nothing has stuck. All of it flopped. It either charred at 60 for a week or missed the chart completely.

 

It’s easy to say that if he tried he’d have a career because he doesn’t. But there’s no indication that would be the case. Out of everything he’s put out, every single time he had a ton of outside help either by a collaborator or outside circumstances, or both. So. I don’t know. Maybe he’d be huge. Maybe he wouldn’t be. Reality is that he’s not.

 

Harry is in the making of his third hit. He only ever released two pre album singles, one of which peaked at #4 and the other one at #6. Adore You is on week twenty-nine and still charting (at #12!!!!!), which is longer than any single Zayn has ever released. It will most likely outstream and outsell Pillowtalk in the long run. Watermelon Sugar is right there... waiting. Sign of the Times was a mild hit.

 

Harry released five singles in America. He has eight certified songs, and he’s coming for eleven. With no collabs. No supermodel girlfriends. No dissing the band. No controversy.

 

When it comes to albums there isn’t even a competition. Self titled sold 1 million pure in 2017. It was the ninth best selling album of the year according to Nielsen. Mind of Mine hasn’t sold a million pure yet and it’s been out for four years. And if we bring in Fine Line, which is projected to go back to #5 this week twenty-eight weeks since being released... out of those 28 weeks it spent 1 at 21 and all the others inside the top 20 (most of which were in the top 15). Two weeks #1. It’s already got more streams than Mind of Mine... (by the way, self titled is close to passing Mind of Mine’s total streams with 10 tracks vs 18, and having come out a year later).

 

To this day, Sign of the Times outstreams Pillowtalk at a ratio of 2 x with Pillowtalk doing 250K on a good day and Sign of the Times doing 500K+ every day. Sign of the Times also our streams on YouTube, where Harry is super weak.

 

Add to that that Harry already has a sold out world tour that raked in 70m and is on his way to a second tour that will probably be twice as big, that he starred in a movie by Christopher Nolan that grossed 600m and was nominated to nine Oscars including Best Picture (and he got nominated to awards for his acting himself), that he’s the face of the biggest luxury brand in the world (while Zayn got kicked out of collaborating with Versace’s second brand)....

 

How anyone still questions who’s bigger is beyond me. Harry has been bigger than Zayn since the very first day. Zayn literally just got a head start because he left 1D and Harry stayed. That’s it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Em1794
26 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Honestly Zayn. His album bombed yet still managed to surpass 1B streams which is pretty impressive considering he just drops his music and does nothing afterwards. Plus he’s had massive hits that Harry has never had.

 

Fine Line is bigger than any Zayn album though.

He didn’t drop music and did nothing with his first album. He went to Fallon twice, did Wango Tango, covered every magazine on the face of this earth, did an interview with Zane Lowe, one with Zach Sang, interviews with Seacrest, Vogue, Complex, Elvis Duran, The Morning Mashup... pls. He did start to go more and more ghost in 2017 but that wasn’t the case in 2016.

 

Mind of Mine is at like 1.7b with 18 tracks and a huge hit (Pillowtalk). Harry’s self titled is at almost 1.7b with 10 tracks and one mild hit. And Mind of Mine is a year older. Self titled is gonna pass him soon. Fine Line has already passed it and it’s six months old and has 12 tracks:deadbanana2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
naomi24
15 minutes ago, Em1794 said:

It was not a 2 week #1. It was one of the weakest #1 in recent years, actually.

 

The chart run was 1 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 8 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 9 - 12 - 15 - 20 - 26 - 30 - 36 - 38 - 48 - out

 

1 week number 1, 3 weeks top 5, 13 weeks top 10, 24 weeks total

 

It was definitely a huge hit but it’s not what you’ve built up in your head...

 

Also keep in mind timing. One Direction had their last performance together on December 13 2015. Pillowtalk came out January 31 2016. Six weeks later. Obviously everyone had built up anticipation... To top that, there was controversy because Zayn had left his fiancée of three years (who’s a huge celeb in the UK, at this point more famous than him), via text message and hooked up with a supermodel, and included her in his music video... And Zayn was talking smack about 1D at every chance he got. Saying he wanted to leave the band since the beginning.

 

After Pillowtalk, Zayn released several other singles. All of which flopped. His album had underwhelming sales (157K - for comparison’s sake, a year later Harry would get 230K first week without bundles). It took Mind of Mine three years to scan Platinum (released March 25th 2016, certified May 20th 2019), and this is with Pillowtalk (at that point) being 4x Platinum. Mind of Mine only charted for 25 weeks in Billboard 200, meanwhile Harry’s self titled debut charter for 44 weeks. It scanned Platinum in half the time Mind of Mine did as well.


Then Zayn’s other huge single was IDWLF but that was absolutely Taylor’s. It was the first song she released since 1988. It was also the only song she had on Spotify for six months (the song came out Dec 2016 and she would put her discography back on in June 2017).

 

Zayn released more singles after that. Once again, all of them flopped, until Sia came along and they did Dusk Till Dawn, which was NOT a hit in the US. It peaked at 44. It was really big worldwide but it was released while Cheap Thrills was still big... so... yeah. That was Sia’s.

 

Since then, Zayn released more singles and an album, and then more singles. Nothing has stuck. All of it flopped. It either charred at 60 for a week or missed the chart completely.

 

It’s easy to say that if he tried he’d have a career because he doesn’t. But there’s no indication that would be the case. Out of everything he’s put out, every single time he had a ton of outside help either by a collaborator or outside circumstances, or both. So. I don’t know. Maybe he’d be huge. Maybe he wouldn’t be. Reality is that he’s not.

 

Harry is in the making of his third hit. He only ever released two pre album singles, one of which peaked at #4 and the other one at #6. Adore You is on week twenty-nine and still charting (at #12!!!!!), which is longer than any single Zayn has ever released. It will most likely outstream and outsell Pillowtalk in the long run. Watermelon Sugar is right there... waiting. Sign of the Times was a mild hit.

 

Harry released five singles in America. He has eight certified songs, and he’s coming for eleven. With no collabs. No supermodel girlfriends. No dissing the band. No controversy.

 

When it comes to albums there isn’t even a competition. Self titled sold 1 million pure in 2017. It was the ninth best selling album of the year according to Nielsen. Mind of Mine hasn’t sold a million pure yet and it’s been out for four years. And if we bring in Fine Line, which is projected to go back to #5 this week twenty-eight weeks since being released... out of those 28 weeks it spent 1 at 21 and all the others inside the top 20 (most of which were in the top 15). Two weeks #1. It’s already got more streams than Mind of Mine... (by the way, self titled is close to passing Mind of Mine’s total streams with 10 tracks vs 18, and having come out a year later).

 

To this day, Sign of the Times outstreams Pillowtalk at a ratio of 2 x with Pillowtalk doing 250K on a good day and Sign of the Times doing 500K+ every day. Sign of the Times also our streams on YouTube, where Harry is super weak.

 

Add to that that Harry already has a sold out world tour that raked in 70m and is on his way to a second tour that will probably be twice as big, that he starred in a movie by Christopher Nolan that grossed 600m and was nominated to nine Oscars including Best Picture (and he got nominated to awards for his acting himself), that he’s the face of the biggest luxury brand in the world (while Zayn got kicked out of collaborating with Versace’s second brand)....

 

How anyone still questions who’s bigger is beyond me. Harry has been bigger than Zayn since the very first day. Zayn literally just got a head start because he left 1D and Harry stayed. That’s it.

Whew this essay..

 

 

Right now I would say its Harry Styles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGuyGoneGhetto
7 minutes ago, Em1794 said:

It was not a 2 week #1. It was one of the weakest #1 in recent years, actually.

 

The chart run was 1 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 8 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 9 - 12 - 15 - 20 - 26 - 30 - 36 - 38 - 48 - out

 

1 week number 1, 3 weeks top 5, 13 weeks top 10, 24 weeks total

 

It was definitely a huge hit but it’s not what you’ve built up in your head...

 

Also keep in mind timing. One Direction had their last performance together on December 13 2015. Pillowtalk came out January 31 2016. Six weeks later. Obviously everyone had built up anticipation... To top that, there was controversy because Zayn had left his fiancée of three years (who’s a huge celeb in the UK, at this point more famous than him), via text message and hooked up with a supermodel, and included her in his music video... And Zayn was talking smack about 1D at every chance he got. Saying he wanted to leave the band since the beginning.

 

After Pillowtalk, Zayn released several other singles. All of which flopped. His album had underwhelming sales (157K - for comparison’s sake, a year later Harry would get 230K first week without bundles). It took Mind of Mine three years to scan Platinum (released March 25th 2016, certified May 20th 2019), and this is with Pillowtalk (at that point) being 4x Platinum. Mind of Mine only charted for 25 weeks in Billboard 200, meanwhile Harry’s self titled debut charter for 44 weeks. It scanned Platinum in half the time Mind of Mine did as well.


Then Zayn’s other huge single was IDWLF but that was absolutely Taylor’s. It was the first song she released since 1988. It was also the only song she had on Spotify for six months (the song came out Dec 2016 and she would put her discography back on in June 2017).

 

Zayn released more singles after that. Once again, all of them flopped, until Sia came along and they did Dusk Till Dawn, which was NOT a hit in the US. It peaked at 44. It was really big worldwide but it was released while Cheap Thrills was still big... so... yeah. That was Sia’s.

 

Since then, Zayn released more singles and an album, and then more singles. Nothing has stuck. All of it flopped. It either charred at 60 for a week or missed the chart completely.

 

It’s easy to say that if he tried he’d have a career because he doesn’t. But there’s no indication that would be the case. Out of everything he’s put out, every single time he had a ton of outside help either by a collaborator or outside circumstances, or both. So. I don’t know. Maybe he’d be huge. Maybe he wouldn’t be. Reality is that he’s not.

 

Harry is in the making of his third hit. He only ever released two pre album singles, one of which peaked at #4 and the other one at #6. Adore You is on week twenty-nine and still charting (at #12!!!!!), which is longer than any single Zayn has ever released. It will most likely outstream and outsell Pillowtalk in the long run. Watermelon Sugar is right there... waiting. Sign of the Times was a mild hit.

 

Harry released five singles in America. He has eight certified songs, and he’s coming for eleven. With no collabs. No supermodel girlfriends. No dissing the band. No controversy.

 

When it comes to albums there isn’t even a competition. Self titled sold 1 million pure in 2017. It was the ninth best selling album of the year according to Nielsen. Mind of Mine hasn’t sold a million pure yet and it’s been out for four years. And if we bring in Fine Line, which is projected to go back to #5 this week twenty-eight weeks since being released... out of those 28 weeks it spent 1 at 21 and all the others inside the top 20 (most of which were in the top 15). Two weeks #1. It’s already got more streams than Mind of Mine... (by the way, self titled is close to passing Mind of Mine’s total streams with 10 tracks vs 18, and having come out a year later).

 

To this day, Sign of the Times outstreams Pillowtalk at a ratio of 2 x with Pillowtalk doing 250K on a good day and Sign of the Times doing 500K+ every day. Sign of the Times also our streams on YouTube, where Harry is super weak.

 

Add to that that Harry already has a sold out world tour that raked in 70m and is on his way to a second tour that will probably be twice as big, that he starred in a movie by Christopher Nolan that grossed 600m and was nominated to nine Oscars including Best Picture (and he got nominated to awards for his acting himself), that he’s the face of the biggest luxury brand in the world (while Zayn got kicked out of collaborating with Versace’s second brand)....

 

How anyone still questions who’s bigger is beyond me. Harry has been bigger than Zayn since the very first day. Zayn literally just got a head start because he left 1D and Harry stayed. That’s it.

You wrote this thesis and yet...

 

It still went #1. :toofunny2:

 

Moreover, it wasn’t one of the “weakest number ones in recent memory” considering it’s been surpassed by a plethora of genuine weak number ones since. :rip:

 

• “Pillowtalk” debuted at number one with over 400 points; 267K sales and 23M streams, the fourth largest opening ever up to that point. Overall, it remained in the Top 10 for 16 weeks and was 2016’s second biggest Digital seller. This isn’t “TROLLZ” or “Stuck With You” we’re talking about here. 

 

• “IDWLF” was a Global smash hit.

 

When another Directioner supersedes that then we can have a debate.

 

Nobody said Styles wasn’t/isn’t “big”. His consistency is great, nor did anybody dispute that Malik hasn’t been BOMBING the last several years however Malik still had a substantial peak that has yet to be overtaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
selena_lavigne

I voted for Harry just cuz Fine Line is really overtaking Zayn's career as a whole.

Zayn had the bigger peak or whatever sure but Harry has had more consistent hits and Fine Line is a SMASH of an album and that's undeniable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Em1794
22 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

You wrote this thesis and yet...

 

It still went #1. :toofunny2:

 

Moreover, it wasn’t one of the “weakest number ones in recent memory” considering it’s been surpassed by a plethora of genuine weak number ones since. :rip:

 

• “Pillowtalk” debuted at number one with over 400 points; 267K sales and 23M streams, the fourth largest opening ever up to that point. Overall, it remained in the Top 10 for 16 weeks and was 2016’s second biggest Digital seller. This isn’t “TROLLZ” or “Stuck With You” we’re talking about here. 

 

• “IDWLF” was a Global smash hit.

 

When another Directioner supersedes that then we can have a debate.

 

Nobody said Styles wasn’t/isn’t “big”. His consistency is great, nor did anybody dispute that Malik hasn’t been BOMBING the last several years however Malik still had a substantial peak that has yet to be overtaken. 

The fact that 2020 has super weak #1s doesn’t mean that Pillowtalk wasn’t one of the weakest #1s. If ATRLs search engine worked better, I’d quote the receipt of how it was one of the weakest of 2016. There was an entire thread of the weakest #1s of the past decade and Pillowtalk was up there. It ended up #22 in the year end chart. It was big hit. It wasn’t the undeniable smash hit some of y’all pretend over here. Adore You has already charted five weeks longer and will likely out stream it and out sell it. And Adore You will most likely not even be Harry’s biggest hit this era. So?

 

We establishes that IDWL is 90% miss Swift’s. He didn’t even write it. The video isn’t on his channel. The Spotify streams came from Taylor. Sorry but... what are you trying to prove with it?

 

And singles is legit the only metric where Zayn has a leg to stand on. And he hasn’t had a hit since 2017 despite releasing about 10 singles since then. Why are we even having this conversation? You’re acting like Zayn’s peak was a Katy Perry or Justin Bieber run when in fact it’s one fad weak #1 that’s getting half the recurrent streams of Sign of the Times and a collab with one of the biggest female artists of this generation :rip: 

 

I also don’t understand this whole “OMG the essay” this is a music forum. Where we discuss music, and charts. I didn’t write an essay on the reproduction of frogs. I brought receipts. For a chart conversation. In a forum. Just read or not read but y’all look dumb mocking every text over four paragraphs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites