Timber

What do you cook food in?

Timber

I'm debating if I should move from extra virgin olive oil to butter to cook, but my research is kind of all over the place. What do you guys cook your food in? Is there a healthier option?

kipperskipper

I think olive oil is healthier. Plus butter can burn more easily. Also olive oil is vegan :foxaylove2:

Ash12345

I use vegetable oil, olive oil or butter depending on what the recipe calls for. Usually butter for red meat, olive oil for vegetables and vegetable oil for eggs, chicken and deep frying.

Lazerbeamz

It entirely depends on what kind of food you’re cooking. You can’t cook everything in butter lol, for instance for meats, canola/sunflower/olive oils are the best (esp for chicken). I love olive oil but I’d be weary frying a lot with it cause it has the lowest boiling points of all three oils, and thus burns faster which is terrible for you. So always cook at medium heat. 

For eggs either works, I love butter but if’s probably the least healthy esp if you’re lactose free.

Timber
Just now, Ash12345 said:

I use vegetable oil, olive oil or butter depending on what the recipe calls for. Usually butter for red meat, olive oil for vegetables and vegetable oil for eggs, chicken and deep frying.

Isn't vegetable oil one of the most unhealthy oils to fry in because of its high polyunsaturated fat content which easily turns into trans fats, the unhealthiest of fats?

Ryuuchan_X

I just follow whatever the recipe says to use. 

Ash12345
2 minutes ago, Timber said:

Isn't vegetable oil one of the most unhealthy oils to fry in because of its high polyunsaturated fat content which easily turns into trans fats, the unhealthiest of fats?

idk it hasn't killed me yet. :eli:

Most of the time that I use it I use small quantities like for eggs. Exception being deep frying because you need a lot of oil for that and it's the cheapest but I don't deep fry much and put the fried food on a paper towel so that the oil drains out. The vegetable oil I use is mostly sunflower oil btw.

Pavement Princess

Honestly depends... When I cook chicken I just straight up use a splash of water. Eggs butter. Steak butter. Veggies in olive oil. 

****Selena
14 minutes ago, Timber said:

you're right 

Mikeymoonshine

Olive oil isn't as healthy as people think, especially when you are heating it. 

Some things can just be cooked with a little bit of water instead of oil but if you really want to use oil just don't use a lot of it. 

Vitaly

I cook with all kinds, depends on food.

Olive oil have flavor in it, it will not be good to some dishes, so I need to use subtitute oil such as canola, corn, or sunflower oil.

Illuminati

I use sunflower oil for everything and I'm still skinny

Cryptique

Cooking Oil?

that G.U.Y.

The Asian grocer down the street has super cheap jugs of peanut oil so I use those. It makes everything taste a little nutty but it's worth it  for the price.