naval23

Was "Just Dance" needed for "Poker Face" to smash?

naval23

Gaga has said in past interviews that she needed "Just Dance" to set the stage for "Poker Face" to be as successful as it was

Do you agree? 

selenachris

Just Dance built the platform and Poker Face performed in it, if that makes sense. 
Poker Face was good enough a song to be successful on its own, but Just Dance made it stick out

idkwiam

Yes. Sometimes recycling beats works.

Marianah Adkins

Just Dance gave her the platform to bring out Poker Face to its potential so yes.

enchanted0

Yes.

Olpsy

Yes. “Just Dance” was a good introduction. I vividly remember watching it like a day after it dropped , and it was like nothing I had heard, so when Pokerface came out it prolly had that audience anticipation. 

Mr. Duff

I think so. I also think Just Dance > Poker Face so :michael:

Cryptique

Personally, i heard PF first and twas a smash.. heard JD like a month later that o thought JD was PF's followup :laugh:

BGXKB

Yes, Just Dance walked (or more like sassily sauntered) so Poker Face could RUN.

I’ll never forget watching the Poker Face video for the first time and the feeling of those icy synths dazzling my ears for the first time. Suddenly I knew that a pop star was born.

OnlyManInTheWorld

I remember watching "Poker Face" video for the very first time, it was also the first time I ever heard the song. Didn't like it at all, it sounded like a cheap "Just Dance" rehash. Then we all know what happened. Probably the biggest song of my life :alexz:

H-I-M

Not really.

Poker Face smashed in way more countries than Just Dance did, meaning that this argument doesn't apply to all those countries.

CakeLikeLG

Yes, Just Dance was more GP friendly, Poker Face would've been too gay as debut single

Natawie
3 hours ago, idkwiam said:

Yes. Sometimes recycling beats works.

Mikeymoonshine

I think that's definitely true. JD is a little more generic than PF and has a much more straightforward subject matter it's basically just a song about being drunk in a club. The song was very much a club hit that took a long time to climb the charts and eventually smash. That was the perfect springboard for Gaga to introduce the world to her brand, PF had a much more interesting video, is sonically more interesting and has a less straightforward subject matter. 

With Just Dance it was just a taste of Gaga I remember everyone talking about the lighting bolt makeup and mostly just that. With the Poker Face video it was a lot more of the "omg she's so weird" stuff. 

Goofy

obviously

TeemoR

Yes. Poker Face was just too artistic and high quality for the GP to digest. They needed Just Dance to warm up for the artistic excellence that came after.

ReH2o

yes, ugh her mind

Bayouboy
Posted (edited)

I mean both songs weren’t hits until like a entire year after it’s release :skull:

Edited by Bayouboy

Cryptique
On 7/1/2020 at 10:49 PM, Bayouboy said:

I mean both songs weren’t hits until like a entire year after it’s release :skull:

Entire YEAR??  Get your facts straight

Bayouboy
42 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

Entire YEAR??  Get your facts straight

The song was release in April of 2008. It went #1 in January 2009..... and All recorded in 2007. Like I said....  AN ENTIRE YEAR

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Edited by Bayouboy

Madame X

absolutely

just dance is a cute girl but its more in the vein of i gotta feeling, whereas poker face is in the vein of...... lay all your love on me 

Cryptique
6 minutes ago, Bayouboy said:

The song was release in April of 2008. It went #1 in January 2009.....

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

It's not ENTIRE YEAR :dies: and JD was already a SMASH outside of US in 2008's last quarter 

UnusualBoy

Yeah, JD basically paved the way and it worked, PF ended up being bigger everywhere.

Bayouboy
8 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

It's not ENTIRE YEAR :dies: and JD was already a SMASH outside of US in 2008's last quarter 

10 months Wow....

No one heard it until 2009 in the US. Wanna know why? Cause it was the Bey Rih and Brit show! :eddie:

Edited by Bayouboy

kwek_kwek
On 7/1/2020 at 4:44 PM, Cryptique said:

Personally, i heard PF first and twas a smash.. heard JD like a month later that o thought JD was PF's followup :laugh:

Me too! I heard PF first on Myx then JD. I thought JD was the second single.