onewillowsilk

Drake's consistency & dominance in US consumption this year

Recommended Posts

onewillowsilk
Posted (edited)

Based on Rolling Stone's Artists 500 chart, which according to Rolling Stone: 

 

Quote

The Rolling Stone Artists 500 chart ranks the most-streamed artists of the week in the United States, taking into account audio streams across an artist’s entire catalog during the tracking period. The chart does not include passive listening such as terrestrial radio or digital radio. The Artists 500 is updated daily, and each week Rolling Stone finalizes and publishes an official version of the chart, covering the seven-day period ended the previous Thursday.

Every week so far this year and where he has ranked for each of them:

 

Dec. 27, 2019 - Jan. 2, 2020: #3
Jan. 3, 2020 - Jan. 9, 2020: #3
Jan. 10, 2020 - Jan. 16, 2020: #3
Jan. 17, 2020 - Jan. 23, 2020: #6
Jan. 24, 2020 - Jan. 30, 2020: #4
Jan. 31, 2020 - Feb. 6, 2020: #5
Feb. 7, 2020 - Feb. 13, 2020: #3
Feb. 14, 2020 - Feb. 20, 2020: #6
Feb. 21, 2020 - Feb. 27, 2020: #5
Feb. 28, 2020 - Mar. 5, 2020: #5
Mar. 6, 2020 - Mar. 12, 2020: #6
Mar. 13, 2020 - Mar. 19, 2020: #5
Mar. 20, 2020 - Mar. 26, 2020: #5
Mar. 27, 2020 - Apr. 2, 2020: #4
Apr. 3, 2020 - Apr. 9, 2020: #1
Apr. 10, 2020 - Apr. 16, 2020: #2
Apr. 17, 2020 - Apr. 23, 2020: #2
Apr. 24, 2020 - Apr. 30, 2020: #2
May. 1, 2020 - May. 7, 2020: #1
May. 8, 2020 - May. 14, 2020: #1
May. 15, 2020 - May. 21, 2020: #2
May. 22, 2020 - May. 28, 2020: #2
May. 29, 2020 - Jun. 4, 2020: #1
Jun. 5, 2020 - Jun. 11, 2020: #1
Jun. 12, 2020 - Jun. 18, 2020: #1
Jun. 19, 2020 - Jun. 25, 2020: #1

Jun. 26, 2020 - Jul. 2, 2020: #1

 

So far, this year, he's been:

#1 for 8 weeks

#2 for 5 weeks

#3 for 4 weeks

#4 for 2 weeks

#5 for 5 weeks

#6 for 3 weeks

 

For reference:

https://www.rollingstone.com/charts/artists/

Edited by onewillowsilk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
idkwiam

Taylor and he are truly the artists of the decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timber
19 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Taylor and he are truly the artists of the decade.

This decade is definitely between him and Post Malone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
idkwiam
2 minutes ago, Timber said:

This decade is definitely between him and Post Malone. 

You mean 2010s or 2020s?:huh:

I meant OVERALL consumption only 2010s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timber
Just now, idkwiam said:

You mean 2010s or 2020s?:huh:

I meant OVERALL consumption only 2010s.

2020 cuz that's what the OP is talking about. True, 2010s was definitely Drake and Taylor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
idkwiam
24 minutes ago, Timber said:

2020 cuz that's what the OP is talking about. True, 2010s was definitely Drake and Taylor.

It's way too early to tell. Post Malone and Billie will be the AOTD probably. 

Unless she pulls a LG...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
49 minutes ago, Timber said:

This decade is definitely between him and Post Malone. 

I can definitely see that.

 

This is from BuzzAngle's 2019 year-end report. Despite not releasing any new album last year, Drake almost matched Post Malone in on-demand streams, audio streams and video streams. He also moved almost 4M project units last year without dropping a new project, more than every other act who dropped an album, except Post Malone. 

 

27fKZea.png

 

Tnb11JU.png

 

This is from their decade-end report. 

 

lbGifoh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timber
1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

I can definitely see that.

 

This is from BuzzAngle's 2019 year-end report. Despite not releasing any new album last year, Drake almost matched Post Malone in on-demand streams, audio streams and video streams. He also moved almost 4M project units last year without dropping a new project, more than every other act who dropped an album, except Post Malone. 

 

27fKZea.png

 

Tnb11JU.png

 

This is from their decade-end report. 

 

lbGifoh.png

Yep. Although Post might not be doing as many numbers as Drake, his singles are radio magnets which means that they'll add a ton of points that Drake may not be getting. It'll be an interesting battle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
6 minutes ago, Timber said:

Yep. Although Post might not be doing as many numbers as Drake, his singles are radio magnets which means that they'll add a ton of points that Drake may not be getting. It'll be an interesting battle. 

That's true. It might have to boil down to Drake releasing more singles to match the chart points Post Malone will get from his songs due to how massive they tend to be on radio.

 

I'm particularly interested in seeing if Drake can match the output he had last decade in this decade because he has a fanbase that tends to stream his catalog heavy so even when he doesn't drop, he still moves a ton of units. Post Malone has that kind of fanbase as well, but compared to Drake, he only has 3 projects out so it's not as many songs they have to choose from. I have to imagine that it gets harder with the more projects an artist releases, but yeah, Post is an absolute beast. He'll definitely do a lot of damage this decade. I have him ahead of all his peers for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Both Sides Now
1 hour ago, Timber said:

This decade is definitely between him and Post Malone. 

It’s literally 6 months into the decade :deadbanana4: A bit early to be predicted the next 114 months I think. 
 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
14 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

It’s literally 6 months into the decade :deadbanana4: A bit early to be predicted the next 114 months I think. 
 

 

 

 

It's not too early when we're already settled into the streaming era and we know who the two biggest forces are in said era. I'm sure people made predictions like this early in the previous decade as well. Things may end up changing in a few years, but until then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Both Sides Now
Just now, onewillowsilk said:

It's not too early when we're already settled into the streaming era and we know who the two biggest forces are in said era. I'm sure people made predictions like this early in the previous decade as well. Things may end up changing in a few years, but until then...

Yeah the number one artist of 1990 was New Kids on the Block and they didn’t end up in the Top 10 of the decade. Or Paula Abdul, Aerosmith, Phil Collins, M.C. Jammer, Taylor Dayne etc etc who all placed well in the 1990 Year end. 
 

Not saying Drake or Post won’t remain popular through the 20’s (I think Post in particular will continue to smash because he is newer than Drake). It’s just a touch premature to declare them future artists of the decade when we’re 6 months in :duck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Yeah the number one artist of 1990 was New Kids on the Block and they didn’t end up in the Top 10 of the decade. Or Paula Abdul, Aerosmith, Phil Collins, M.C. Jammer, Taylor Dayne etc etc who all placed well in the 1990 Year end. 
 

Not saying Drake or Post won’t remain popular through the 20’s (I think Post in particular will continue to smash because he is newer than Drake). It’s just a touch premature to declare them future artists of the decade when we’re 6 months in :duck:

The both of them being mentioned as the two acts who will dominate this decade isn't a matter of fact, it's just a prediction. No one knows what new act might rise up in a few years and end up outdoing everybody, but until then, if any predictions are to be made on who will do well this decade, won't it be the two acts who have been the most dominant in the streaming era so far? All that's being said is that right now, they're the two most promising acts we know and have. I even said that might change in a few years, but a few years isn't here yet, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
idkwiam
2 hours ago, onewillowsilk said:

The both of them being mentioned as the two acts who will dominate this decade isn't a matter of fact, it's just a prediction. No one knows what new act might rise up in a few years and end up outdoing everybody, but until then, if any predictions are to be made on who will do well this decade, won't it be the two acts who have been the most dominant in the streaming era so far? All that's being said is that right now, they're the two most promising acts we know and have. I even said that might change in a few years, but a few years isn't here yet, so...

Drake might be hit by over exposure and ageism. Toosie slide already showed he needs to change his style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
10 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Drake might be hit by over exposure and ageism. Toosie slide already showed he needs to change his style.

Toosie Slide didn't show anything. It had the strongest debut so far this year and it's the only song released during the Coronavirus outbreak that debuted at #1 and went on to spend 10 weeks in the top 10. Every other song fell out of the top 10 the following week, save for Rain On Me which ended up spending 4 weeks in the top 10 and has now fallen out. It was never intended to fit on an album and for the lead single off a side project, it did as well as could be expected. 

 

As far as overexposure and agesim, that's something that most men in hip-hop don't have to deal with. I don't need to tell you how many 40+ year-olds are still rapping and releasing albums and Drake is only 33. He's far from old. If he managed to release 10 projects and appear on a numerous amount of features in the last decade and was able to not be overexposed, I doubt it'll happen now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Star dance
14 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Toosie Slide didn't show anything. It had the strongest debut so far this year and it's the only song released during the Coronavirus outbreak that debuted at #1 and went on to spend 10 weeks in the top 10. Every other song fell out of the top 10 the following week, save for Rain On Me which ended up spending 4 weeks in the top 10 and has now fallen out. It was never intended to fit on an album and for the lead single off a side project, it did as well as could be expected. 

 

As far as overexposure and agesim, that's something that most men in hip-hop don't have to deal with. I don't need to tell you how many 40+ year-olds are still rapping and releasing albums and Drake is only 33. He's far from old. If he managed to release 10 projects and appear on a numerous amount of features in the last decade and was able to not be overexposed, I doubt it'll happen now. 

To rain on me defence, it got pretty unlucky this week(11) and its pretty likely to come back at some point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gotportugal

Yup it will probably be: Post, Billie Drake and other artists that are children now

 

C6TeBy5.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
15 minutes ago, Star dance said:

To rain on me defence, it got pretty unlucky this week(11) and its pretty likely to come back at some point

It also had an album boost in it's second week. That's really the only reason why it remained in the top 5 for a second week. By the third week, it was down to #10, almost out of the top 10. And now it's at #11. It may creep into the top 10 again if a song or two currently in the top 10 starts losing points quickly enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGuyGoneGhetto
4 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

It’s literally 6 months into the decade :deadbanana4: A bit early to be predicted the next 114 months I think. 
 

 

 

 

Exactly!

 

The #1 artist of 2000 and 2003 was Xtina and well... :rip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Star dance
21 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

It also had an album boost in it's second week. That's really the only reason why it remained in the top 5 for a second week. By the third week, it was down to #10, almost out of the top 10. And now it's at #11. It may creep into the top 10 again if a song or two currently in the top 10 starts losing points quickly enough. 

It was also no 9 on its fourth week, which is actually an increase

Yes, it's not a mega smash but it was 10-9-11 in the last week , more or less stable.

With the increase on radio, it has a decent chance to go back to 9-10 for a few weeks(and more if gaga promotes it)

Its not an organic smash, but its not a forced freefaling hit either. Its a really decent hit(its also no 8 on worldwide spotify after 39 days, pretty good)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
2 minutes ago, Star dance said:

It was also no 9 on its fourth week, which is actually an increase

Yes, it's not a mega smash but it was 10-9-11 in the last week , more or less stable.

With the increase on radio, it has a decent chance to go back to 9-10 for a few weeks(and more if gaga promotes it)

Its not an organic smash, but its not a forced freefaling hit either. Its a really decent hit(its also no 8 on worldwide spotify after 39 days, pretty good)

That was kind of my point. Most of the songs released during this period haven't had longevity on the charts. Very few have and the songs that are in the top 10 now or are surging towards the top 10 dropped several months ago. But you're right, thanks to radio, Rain On Me should spend sometime in the top 10/20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
idkwiam
18 hours ago, onewillowsilk said:

Toosie Slide didn't show anything. It had the strongest debut so far this year and it's the only song released during the Coronavirus outbreak that debuted at #1 and went on to spend 10 weeks in the top 10. Every other song fell out of the top 10 the following week, save for Rain On Me which ended up spending 4 weeks in the top 10 and has now fallen out. It was never intended to fit on an album and for the lead single off a side project, it did as well as could be expected. 

 

As far as overexposure and agesim, that's something that most men in hip-hop don't have to deal with. I don't need to tell you how many 40+ year-olds are still rapping and releasing albums and Drake is only 33. He's far from old. If he managed to release 10 projects and appear on a numerous amount of features in the last decade and was able to not be overexposed, I doubt it'll happen now. 

I don't think there are that many rappers that have had success beyond 30-35. I can be wrong though.

The only name I'm thinking is Eminem. 

Drake surely will have again massive success but I'm not expecting The views/Scorpion success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rico Shameless v2
On 7/1/2020 at 8:55 AM, Star dance said:

To rain on me defence, it got pretty unlucky this week(11) and its pretty likely to come back at some point

Yeah but @idkwiam said Toosie proved Drake has to change, when it had the best longevity of all #1 debuts this year. So that was the overall point, as far as him being overexposed.

 

And Drake tends to get unlucky in that his songs soar to #1 on Urban/Rhythmic (while Pop holds back), then when he peaks all his radio points fall. Resulting in most his songs swift decline from being monsters for weeks. But he’s always consistently consumed (Toosie is #13 on Spotify/#26 on AM.

 

8 hours ago, idkwiam said:

I don't think there are that many rappers that have had success beyond 30-35. I can be wrong though.

The only name I'm thinking is Eminem. 

Drake surely will have again massive success but I'm not expecting The views/Scorpion success.

Jay-Z, Kanye West, J Cole/Kendrick are (35;33). Wayne,

at varying degrees but success regardless at 37 now.

 

The difference for Drake is he’s grown up with his fans, who are predominately male and he still has young demo discovering him today that will grow with him as he ages. He already completely dominates the streaming landscape, so I don’t see a sudden decline in that. I mean, his 2011 album gets streams like a normal release til this day. And his album cuts are honestly some of his most streamed works, besides the massive singles.

 

Also once updated, Scorpion will be bigger than both Views/Take Care so that was truly a repeak for him. And what he said about the album this Summer sounds like it’s likely he can dominate like that yet again. Really one or two major projects by Drake could solidify his year end spot. That’s still with the amount of hate and critics he has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewillowsilk
9 hours ago, idkwiam said:

I don't think there are that many rappers that have had success beyond 30-35. I can be wrong though.

The only name I'm thinking is Eminem. 

Drake surely will have again massive success but I'm not expecting The views/Scorpion success.

Jay-Z released an album in 2013 at the age of 43 and he sold 528,000 units in the first week. 

 

No one knows how well Drake will continue to be. It's better not to make assumptions that he'll suffer from agesim only to be proven wrong. It's better to just wait and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roman Holiday

Post Malone will be a hasbeen by the end of the 20s. I don't seem him having the same staying power as Drake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites