Truth Teller

Could "Rain" have been Erotica's smash?

Truth Teller

Rain is currently the most streamed Erotica single on Spotify and YouTube, which... really surprised me.

Rain was the album's 5th single in the summer of 1993 (odd timing), a year after the era began. Despite the lack of promotion, momentum and goodwill, Rain went on to become a decent sized hit. It spent 6 weeks in the top 20 of the Hot 100, peaking at #14, and was the album's biggest radio hit. It also reached #5 in Australia and #7 in the UK.

So, do you think Rain could have been Erotica's biggest hit had it been the 3rd single instead of Bad Girl?

Paula Abdul

Her ballads always were very AC-darlings.

Paddy
4 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

So, do you think Rain could have been Erotica's biggest hit had it been the 3rd single instead of Bad Girl?

I think it would have been a huge hit if it was released as the lead. Imagine the success of such song without the whole sex scandal that heavily affected the entire era. Rain still remains one of her best songs, I've been coincidentally listening to it a lot in the last few weeks.  

I don't think releasing it instead of Bad Girl would make it more successful. Bad Girl was affected by Erotica, the era was too fresh and nothing she'd release would help her, tbh. Rain being released year later had better chances at stronger peak as the era was bit forgotten and people moved on. 

discotitzz

It’s definitely among the more accessible songs on the album, so I think it could’ve been the “hit” single. Most of Erotica is not really suited for mainstream consumption, though it is arguably her best. 

Truth Teller
1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Rain being released year later had better chances at stronger peak as the era was bit forgotten and people moved on. 

Wait...

That's an interesting take :coffee2:

filmman

3rd single? maybe yes, maybe no. 

You have to take into account the most important factor: Sex book backlash. I think during Bad Girl was more recent the whole thing

Brando

Best song on Erotica, but the album did not have any smash hits on it, lead single or not.  

Truth Teller
1 minute ago, filmman said:

3rd single? maybe yes, maybe no. 

You have to take into account the most important factor: Sex book backlash. I think during Bad Girl was more recent the whole thing

Madonna always strived on backlash though, no? The Like A Prayer controversy didn't stop LAP, Express Yourself, Cherish and Vogue from smashing within months. Even JML went #1.

Bad Girl is an amazing song, but it's more like a final single with no commercial expectations, "let's just put this out because it's a highlight" kind of song. It wouldn't have done anything with or without SEX. Rain could have used that buzz to its advantage. Maybe?

tiagol88
19 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Rain is currently the most streamed Erotica single on Spotify and YouTube, which... really surprised me.

Actually, that's wrong for Spotify:

Erotica: 4,466,943 (Erotica) + 4,743,395 (Celebration) = 9 210 338

Rain: 8,524,912

People always forget how Madonna has many hits with lots of versions in there.

But anyway, i get what you mean.

It's the most mainstream single from that album. It also aged amazingly well, unlike most of the Erotica album which was already designed to sound like it had been recorded in an illegal soundbooth somewhere anyway...

StrangerInTheDark

It was recently used in Uncut Gems and Serbian singer ripped off the video...

Growing up it was the only Erotica single with healthy reccurent airplay on MTV.

Funny enough, Rain and Bad Girl are only Erotica singles I hear on radios here...

Paddy
11 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Bad Girl is an amazing song, but it's more like a final single with no commercial expectations, "let's just put this out because it's a highlight" kind of song. It wouldn't have done anything with or without SEX. Rain could have used that buzz to its advantage. Maybe?

I think they had strong hopes for Bad Girl hence her performance of the song on SNL, big budget video with Christopher Walken playing her guardian angel. I think they hoped it would show Madonna in different light and turn the attention away from Sex book. 

Madonna may have been doing well with controversies, but I think simply, back then people weren't ready for her to cross this sexual line. Fair play to Madonna though, because it is still iconic and she did it at time when nobody else would even try such thing. When you compare to nowadays when sex is needed to sell music... it's crazy. It almost ruined her career while nowadays it is what creates careers or saves them. 

I only hope that one day with another tour, Madonna will remember this diamond in her collection and will sing it live.

Drowned8World

Deeper And Deeper is the real hit that got away there. Rain... i don't know her.

T.O.A.D.S.

Why do you think summer 1993 was odd timing? I wasn't alive at the time but to me it sounds like a perfect euphoric ballad for the summer. 

GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Yes.

”Deeper and Deeper” should’ve been the lead single, followed by “Rain” as the second and “Erotica” as the third.

GoodGuyGoneGhetto
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, T.O.A.D.S. said:

Why do you think summer 1993 was odd timing? I wasn't alive at the time but to me it sounds like a perfect euphoric ballad for the summer. 

The Summer of 1993 on the Hot 100 was dominated by primarily R&B/Dance-oriented mid-tempos and slow jams.

Ex: That’s The Way Love Goes, If, Weak, Whoomp (There It Is), Can’t Help Falling In Love, Show Me Love, Knocking The Boots, Dreamlover etc. 

“Rain” wasn’t going to become a hit in that particular musical climate.

The and would’ve fared better in the winter or spring as a cool ballad and then she should’ve made way for another uptempo by the time the summer came around. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

The Second Coming

Well Rain is definitely the most radio/GP friendly track from Erotica. Nowadays it still gets great AC airplay. It also played its part to soften M imagine after Sex Book scandal and served as a transition alongside I'll Remember to the Bedtime Stories era. 

Rev8

Never understood how this wasnt a bigger hit in the US

(I think it did really well in EU)

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnn

Thinking Of You

Erotica has always been dreadful to me. The whole album sounds like lounge music. 

LikeaRebel
1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Yes.

”Deeper and Deeper” should’ve been the lead single, followed by “Rain” as the second and “Erotica” as the third.

Agreed, but I think she wanted to make a statement by releasing Erotica as the lead.

UnanimousBB16

"Body of Evidence" was released around the time of "Bad Girl", so I think that is a strong reason why the single underperformed.

At the same, she made a statement with the "Erotica" single, and it only underperformed due to it being banned, lol.

"Rain" came too late to save the era, though it had an impressive run under it's circumstances.

Bussea

It's so underrated :jonny:

Oktober Knight

What's crazy is Rain was more known than the first 2 singles and the video was on heavy rotation on VH1 and MTV in 1993. I was absolutely SHOOK when I found out years later it only charted at #14. It just seemed so huge - all of my friends knew the song at school and many had the CD single.