Pop Art

Spotify: Sia Is Only 90's Act With a 1B+ Song. Surprised?

Recommended Posts

Pop Art

In total, there's been 17 female artists that are credited on a song that's reached 1B on Spotify: 10 from the 2010's, 6 from the 2000's, and 1 from the 1990's – that one being Sia. (In fact, she has 2 songs with over 1B streams, with an approaching third that should reach the mark within the next year or two.)

 

Are you surprised? Are there any other female acts from the 90's close to reaching this rare feat for female artists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken Lee

She's not really a proper 90s act. She broke through in the 2010s

I'm sure Mariah's AIWFCIY will get there in the next few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vuelve88

How about Shakira? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pop Art
5 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

How about Shakira? 

She doesn't have a track with over 1B streams on Spotify yet. Her closest is Chantaje with 669M. (Which is still amazing for a 90's act FYI!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vuelve88
Just now, Pop Art said:

She doesn't have a track with over 1B streams on Spotify yet. Her closest is Chantaje with 669M. (Which is still amazing for a 90's act FYI!)

Nice! That’s really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rihannabiggestfan

Her 90s album sold 1k in Australia, a modest debut :oh:

 

I guess it helps that, particularly Americans think she debuted in 2010s 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kelly-clarkson
8 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

I guess it helps that, particularly Americans think she debuted in 2010s 

Some ATRLers think that too. There's some threads that label her upcoming album as S3 :deadbanana2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Sia literally peaked in the 2010’s. Nobody knew her prior to then. :rip:

 

Mariah Carey’s “AIWFCIY” will rightfully be the first song by Female 90’s act to hit 1B streams by next year at least, if not early 2022. 
 

Hopefully Whitney Houston’s “IWALY” will follow suit in a few years too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpow

I didn't realize Sia was from the 90s.  I knew she released before Chandelier, but I thought she was a mid-2000s debut this whole time :rip:

 

I'm sure AIWFCIY will get there eventually.  It's at 677m now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caesar
4 hours ago, kelly-clarkson said:

Some ATRLers think that too. There's some threads that label her upcoming album as S3 :deadbanana2:

I’m guilty of this. I never knew she had albums before until recently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KillingYourCareer

OnlySee was a self-published album, I wouldn't count her as a 90s artist :dies:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AvrilLaQueen
7 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Sia literally peaked in the 2010’s. Nobody knew her prior to then. :rip:

 

Mariah Carey’s “AIWFCIY” will rightfully be the first song by Female 90’s act to hit 1B streams by next year at least, if not early 2022. 
 

Hopefully Whitney Houston’s “IWALY” will follow suit in a few years too. 

Breathe Me from 2004 put Sia on the map in the music industry, it was a big indie hit at the time, or a "tumblr hit" as we would've called it in 2010s :fan: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites