nooniebao

AJ Tracey, Mabel - “West Ten”

tbhmatt
9 hours ago, Jukebox said:

This is so debuting top 10! Mabel’s 6th top ten and AJ’s sixth top ten. We love to see it, especially with such a bop. 

Still a long way to go but it’s looking very likely!

Also, this would be both Mabel’s and AJ’s 5th Top 10, not their 6th. 

Jukebox
4 minutes ago, tbhmatt said:

Still a long way to go but it’s looking very likely!

Also, this would be both Mabel’s and AJ’s 5th Top 10, not their 6th. 

Did you count Times Like These? :gaycat5:

tbhmatt
Just now, Jukebox said:

Did you count Times Like These? :gaycat5:

The song isn’t officially credited to them, according to the Official Charts, so no :eli:

AJ

Mabel

myles

this was a smart collab for her

her branding is getting messy tho. the more urban audience in the UK is super loyal and powerful, those first day numbers are massive. even with Don’t Call Me Up she still had the urban crowd fully on her side which was how she was able to rebound with that song after a period of underperforming. her Apple Music numbers have always been good even with her flop songs like One Shot. 

it’s a fine line to appeal to pop and urban tho. 

Jukebox
Just now, tbhmatt said:

The song isn’t officially credited to them, according to the Official Charts, so no :eli:

AJ

Mabel

After I said that I just looked and saw, how annoying. I’ll count it in my head :chick3:

tbhmatt
2 minutes ago, myles said:

her branding is getting messy tho. the more urban audience in the UK is super loyal and powerful, those first day numbers are massive. even with Don’t Call Me Up she still had the urban crowd fully on her side which was how she was able to rebound with that song after a period of underperforming. her Apple Music numbers have always been good even with her flop songs like One Shot. 

I agree with this. Pop music clearly isn’t where her audience lies, considering Don’t Call Me Up has over 500 million streams, her follow up ‘pop’ songs have rather disappointing numbers.

It does make me wonder why Don’t Call Me Up took off though, because it’s just as ‘pop’ as Mad Love or Boyfriend and neither of those made a real splash.

1 minute ago, Jukebox said:

After I said that I just looked and saw, how annoying. I’ll count it in my head :chick3:

:chick3:

St. Francis

Great song.

myles
On 7/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, tbhmatt said:

I agree with this. Pop music clearly isn’t where her audience lies, considering Don’t Call Me Up has over 500 million streams, her follow up ‘pop’ songs have rather disappointing numbers.

It does make me wonder why Don’t Call Me Up took off though, because it’s just as ‘pop’ as Mad Love or Boyfriend and neither of those made a real splash.

DCMU is such an instant and undeniable song. It’s not too polarising either so struck a good balance. 

she’s a super pretty girl so should try and get more of a following on Instagram by posting nice pics. she definitely has superstar charisma, but she’s not interesting enough right now. her look and vibe gives me a Rihanna/Ariana hybrid.

a high profile boyfriend could work wonders for her career honestly :thing:

tbhmatt
1 minute ago, myles said:

DCMU is such an instant and undeniable song. It’s not too polarising either so struck a good balance. 

she’s a super pretty girl so should try and get more of a following on Instagram by posting nice pics. she definitely has superstar charisma, but she’s not interesting enough right now. her look and vibe gives me a Rihanna/Ariana hybrid.

She actually has such a great personality! But honestly, as much as I like her, I’m not convinced she’s got the ‘stage presence’/dancing ability to really pull off the mega pop star image they seem to be going for. plus it doesn’t help that her recent pop tracks are mediocre Spotify playlist fillers. 

They really need to play to her strengths and release more songs like this, gain her a loyal audience. 

Jukebox
Posted (edited)

I literally cannot believe she added this to the beginning of High Expectations. After finally moving Boyfriend to a more suitable part of the tracklist too. Her team are crazy. :rip:

Edited by Jukebox

dangerousalex
19 minutes ago, Jukebox said:

I literally cannot believe she added this to the beginning of High Expectations. After finally moving Boyfriend to a more suitable part of the tracklist too. Her team are crazy. :rip:

I don’t see it ?

Jukebox
Just now, dangerousalex said:

I don’t see it ?

056-A4263-A0-DF-40-D7-8-B8-D-CAEA96-B00-

It’s there for me :rip:

dangerousalex
15 minutes ago, Jukebox said:

056-A4263-A0-DF-40-D7-8-B8-D-CAEA96-B00-

It’s there for me :rip:

Oh, not updated to Apple Music yet :rip: 

AbeHicks
On 7/5/2020 at 1:44 PM, tbhmatt said:

It was simply the moment when she received more label support, that song got airplay all across europe

tbhmatt
12 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

It was simply the moment when she received more label support, that song got airplay all across europe

I see, I don’t really follow her career closely enough to know how much support she gets. I wonder why her label didn’t try and capitalise on its success and push her follow ups more then? 

Oh well, I think she’ll be fine. 

tbhmatt

#7 on yesterday’s Official Chart Update 

Monky_2405

I can't believe they added this too to her album :rip: It's a bop anyway!

tbhmatt

Debuted at #7 - both Mabel and AJ’s 5th UK Top 10 :party:

Lady Claire

Just saw this on High Expectations - the way this album is basically a "This Is... Mabel" playlist at this point :deadbanana2:

Jonathan
4 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

Just saw this on High Expectations - the way this album is basically a "This Is... Mabel" playlist at this point :deadbanana2:

queen of fraud

GustavoBardusco

Not the #1 song on the album again :ahh:

At least this one is a proper hit

nooniebao

SchmoodRing
On 7/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, myles said:

Any audience can be loyal -_- it just takes proper management, promotion and solid output. If she wants be pop she should be. Y'all better not Tinashe her by trying to out her in a box. 

On 7/5/2020 at 7:44 AM, tbhmatt said:

Her pop music is what broke her out. Mad Love and Boyfriend didn't get the same push, support or promo though like at all

On 7/6/2020 at 8:35 AM, myles said:

She already does post "pretty pics" and has a growing social media following and presence. Y'all be assuming if these popstars aren't always serving a Kiki for y'all to meme or messy that they're boring and it's tiring. The fact that you call her a Rihanna/Ariana hybrid is compliment enough to her potential and success.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, tbhmatt said:

She actually has such a great personality! But honestly, as much as I like her, I’m not convinced she’s got the ‘stage presence’/dancing ability to really pull off the mega pop star image they seem to be going for. plus it doesn’t help that her recent pop tracks are mediocre Spotify playlist fillers. 

They really need to play to her strengths and release more songs like this, gain her a loyal audience. 

She's come along way as a performer. It just needs polishing but she’s improved immensely since she started. I think that besides Dua she's the next big thing to blow up from the UK if they play their cards right. She definitely took Zara's thunder for sure. 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:34 PM, Jukebox said:

What is up with their grip on not letting go of that album and era it's toxic at this point

On 7/7/2020 at 5:35 AM, tbhmatt said:

I see, I don’t really follow her career closely enough to know how much support she gets. I wonder why her label didn’t try and capitalise on its success and push her follow ups more then? 

Oh well, I think she’ll be fine. 

It's definitely a lack of support because Mad Love, Bad Behavior, OK were all solid singles that just needed the same push that DCMU got

On 7/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lady Claire said:

Yeah idk whats up with them not being able to let this damn era be put to rest

tbhmatt
1 hour ago, SchmoodRing said:

Any audience can be loyal -_- it just takes proper management, promotion and solid output. If she wants be pop she should be. Y'all better not Tinashe her by trying to out her in a box. 

Her pop music is what broke her out. Mad Love and Boyfriend didn't get the same push, support or promo though like at all

She already does post "pretty pics" and has a growing social media following and presence. Y'all be assuming if these popstars aren't always serving a Kiki for y'all to meme or messy that they're boring and it's tiring. The fact that you call her a Rihanna/Ariana hybrid is compliment enough to her potential and success.

She's come along way as a performer. It just needs polishing but she’s improved immensely since she started. I think that besides Dua she's the next big thing to blow up from the UK if they play their cards right. She definitely took Zara's thunder for sure. 

What is up with their grip on not letting go of that album and era it's toxic at this point

It's definitely a lack of support because Mad Love, Bad Behavior, OK were all solid singles that just needed the same push that DCMU got

Yeah idk whats up with them not being able to let this damn era be put to rest

I wouldn’t say anyone is trying to “put her in a box” - it’s just that, subjectively, the more RnB leaning music she was releasing earlier in her career is better than her recent output. At least that’s my opinion and it’s the kind of music I’d rather hear her make. 

I like Mabel and don’t get me wrong I bop to all of her songs, but her ‘pop’ music is mostly bland - it’s hard to stand out when you’re making generic pop music :michael:

I’m sure poor roll outs and lack of a proper push have hindered her from getting another DCMU sized hit, but for me - none of her other ‘pop’ songs really cut it. If she wants to carry on making generic pop bops then that’s fine and she should be allowed the artistic freedom to do it, I just don’t think she’ll benefit from it in the long run. For me it’s because the quality of her ‘pop’ songs aren’t on par with her earlier songs. I agree that ‘pop’ audiences can be just as loyal, but you’ve hit the nail on the head - it takes the right material, and so far that’s what’s lacking for me. 

That being said; she’s still young and has a lot of potential. I’m sure she’ll eventually find the right sound that clicks. I’m happy to be proven wrong if she can find the right ‘pop’ sound, and I’m rooting hard for her. She’s too talented to not break out big time. 

chaneloberlin

Damn. the replies. Let her live

Clearly whatever direction her music is heading towards the numbers are always pretty stable with a peak in the (upper part of) of Top 20 so what's the problem?

Dance? #15.

The generic pop singles? #6 and #10.

The more pop-leaning R&B songs? #8, #11 and #12.

Garage? #6 (so far.)

All she needs is the same push that Don't Call Me Up got and she's set. Y'all are doing too much. I'm sure there are new girls that are doing her former R&B sound, maybe stan them instead