Taylor fanboy

Playlisted = Not 100% Organic?

Taylor fanboy
Posted (edited)

If a song is playlisted, is it safe to say that the streams are NOT 100% organic?

What songs from your faves have never been playlisted by a streaming service / artist account playlist?

Don’t Blame Me by Taylor Swift from her best album comes to mind and its nearing 100M all organic streams.

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Blade Runner

"Getting your songs out there so they can be successful. Is that ok?"

And this is a music forum. So stupid. 

Taylor fanboy
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Ahm what’s wrong with organic streams? Songs being listened to in the parent album or being searched by people to stream independently out of their own volition?

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Puma
Posted (edited)

I do believe playlisting is just a new way of promoting music, that’s ok. But residencies on TTH are... :doc: I’ve been saying Dua for example relies on it waaaay too much.

Edited by Puma

musicwonder
6 minutes ago, Puma said:

I do believe playlisting is just a new way of promoting music, that’s ok. But residencies on TTH are... :doc: I’ve been saying Dua for example relies on it waaaay too much.

Warner spends a lot to keep Dua on TTH. When is it not ok? 

dussel_06

Playlist streams are like radio. Should be counted differently.

Puma
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, musicwonder said:

Warner spends a lot to keep Dua on TTH. When is it not ok? 

Idk but Don’t Start Now spent like 5 months in the first positions of TTH, and after those 5 months it peaked on Billboard :rip:

Break My Heart is going the same path.

Edited by Puma

musicwonder
7 minutes ago, Puma said:

Idk but Don’t Start Now spent like 5 months in the first positions of TTH, and after those 5 months it peaked on Billboard :rip:

Break My Heart is going the same path.

Its not fair. Why is this allowed? They don't give Demi that same push!

Caesar
9 minutes ago, musicwonder said:

Its not fair. Why is this allowed? They don't give Demi that same push!

Demi is on Hollywood/Island which is under UMG.

I think only a few artists stay on TTH for a long time, like Billie (Bad Guy) and Dua, don’t know about others.

Yanko

its a form of promo, its fine, unless you song fails to crack top 20 but your song is inside the top 5 on tth for months 

thats already an industry plant case

musicwonder
3 minutes ago, Yanko said:

its a form of promo, its fine, unless you song fails to crack top 20 but your song is inside the top 5 on tth for months 

But cmon some artists abuse it. Dua, cardi b. Their singles always sit on TTH. Plus their heavy radio push

Puma
2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Demi is on Hollywood/Island which is under UMG.

I think only a few artists stay on TTH for a long time, like Billie (Bad Guy) and Dua, don’t know about others.

Camila is a similar case 

2 minutes ago, Yanko said:

MTE!

Puma
1 minute ago, musicwonder said:

But cmon some artists abuse it. Dua, cardi b. Their singles always sit on TTH. Plus their heavy radio push

Cardi? :skull: her hits got the push of course but they still had an organic and fast impact on audiences. It’s not like it took her months to peak in the Hot 100, since people was already stanning on day 1.

musicwonder
1 minute ago, Puma said:

Cardi? :skull: her hits got the push of course but they still had an organic and fast impact on audiences. It’s not like it took her months to peak in the Hot 100, since people was already stanning on day 1.

I just see a pattern with certain artists that rely on TTH & other placements for promo & push. Its not fair & not organic. 

Let us decide whats hot. Don't force feed us. 

Caesar
2 minutes ago, musicwonder said:

I just see a pattern with certain artists that rely on TTH & other placements for promo & push. Its not fair & not organic. 

Let us decide whats hot. Don't force feed us. 

I mean no one is forcing you to listen to the playlist. I myself never listen to any playlists other than 2000s and 90s jams

Puma

Interesting how we can’t put Cardi in the same spot as Camila or Dua, but some people constantly bring up dumb stories about payola and stuff :celestial5: just saying

pavi

Just like radio, it works both ways: playlist placement can get you more exposure, thus listeners for your song, but if your song has a lot of listeners, chances are also higher you'll get more playlist placement:cm:

bad guy
1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

:rip:

OT: There’s nothing wrong with it unless it’s super forced. When your song is #1 on TTH for weeks and it’s not even close to cracking the Top 10 then it’s pretty embarrassing. It’s even more embarrassing when you’re a TTH resident and pushed to #1 on Pop Radio and still can’t go Top 10 like Camila or something.

musicwonder
2 minutes ago, bad guy said:

:rip:

OT: There’s nothing wrong with it unless it’s super forced. When your song is #1 on TTH for weeks and it’s not even close to cracking the Top 10 then it’s pretty embarrassing. It’s even more embarrassing when you’re a TTH resident and pushed to #1 on Pop Radio and still can’t go Top 10 like Camila or something.

OMG does Camilla really do that? Epic should be ashamed! Normani doesn't even try that 

Em1794
Posted (edited)

I think it just depends... I can talk about Harry because that’s who I’ve paid close attention to, but for instance, Watermelon Sugar went up to 1.5M+ streams a day when the music video came out, it maintained this for a few days and was subsequently added to Today’s Top Hits. It gained a ton of streams so it started climbing. From 22nd to 15th, to 9th, to 5th, and eventually it got 1st place and cover, but it took it a month to get there (currently it fluctuates between 1-5 positions during the week,which is earned considering the song is top five in Spotify charts US, UK, Canada, Australia, and worldwide). “Payola” would’ve been to get top 5 off the bat before the video even came out.

To ME that’s organic. It would be at an unfair disadvantage to not be playlisted because the biggest hits are. So if done correctly it’s an even play field. Break My Heart and Rain On Me are both playlisted much more than Watermelon Sugar, yet Watermelon Sugar gets a lot more daily streams.

Obviously you can get more attention to a song by playlisting but ultimately the audience will play what they like, imo.

I do think people like Dua and Camila abuse it tho.

Edited by Em1794

Pandora30012

wtf are organic streams :rip:

ItalianMonsterLM

I wouldn't say so, noawadays playlisting is necessary to give a song a proper push

What it's not okay is when songs spend months and months at the top of the biggest playlists... THAT is not organic

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

What songs from your faves have never been playlisted by a streaming service / artist account playlist?

Gaga's Million Reasons didn't spend a single day on Today's Top Hits or other major playlists and it's nearing 500 million streams on Spotify alone :clap3:

Fama

I think Billboard should give streams from curated playlists less weight. 

Kots
1 hour ago, Em1794 said:

I think it just depends... I can talk about Harry because that’s who I’ve paid close attention to, but for instance, Watermelon Sugar went up to 1.5M+ streams a day when the music video came out, it maintained this for a few days and was subsequently added to Today’s Top Hits. It gained a ton of streams so it started climbing. From 22nd to 15th, to 9th, to 5th, and eventually it got 1st place and cover, but it took it a month to get there (currently it fluctuates between 1-5 positions during the week,which is earned considering the song is top five in Spotify charts US, UK, Canada, Australia, and worldwide). “Payola” would’ve been to get top 5 off the bat before the video even came out.

To ME that’s organic. It would be at an unfair disadvantage to not be playlisted because the biggest hits are. So if done correctly it’s an even play field. Break My Heart and Rain On Me are both playlisted much more than Watermelon Sugar, yet Watermelon Sugar gets a lot more daily streams.

Obviously you can get more attention to a song by playlisting but ultimately the audience will play what they like, imo.

I do think people like Dua and Camila abuse it tho.

We stan organic hits :clap3:

naval23

Unpopular opinion but I agree

I wonder how much it costs? Obviously most casual listeners just shuffle Todays Top Hits and go