The Second Coming

Taylor: the biggest LGBT ally since Madonna?

The Second Coming

Since Madonna, Taylor seems to be the most active and consistent LGBT ally among mainstream popgirls. Your thoughts? 

original.gif

infrared

That's just incorrect. 

Tasty

chille

DaddyIssuesX
Posted (edited)

She left country music in 2014 and only supported the LGBTQ community publicly like last year or something and she didn’t even have a very solid reason for being quiet as well :rip: I love taylor as much as the next girl but no

Edited by DaddyIssuesX

Jude

I laak Tay but this is a huge disrespect to Lady Gaga especially after risking her career for the community. Disgusting thread. 

filmman

Yes

Anthem

How transparent of you. :zzz:

ryoncé
Posted (edited)

not even close? 

Taylor waited 10 years into her career to say a WORD about the gays????? She waited until her commercial peak was over to THEN open her brand to the LGBT community -- how pathetic

Main pop girls like Ariana, Christina, etc. have spoken out and supported the LGBT community at the beginning and peaks of their career -- which is much more risky to do (especially at their respective times a la Xtina in 2004) and actually paved the way for mainstream acceptance of LBGT, not hoping on the bandwagon once it was already normalized

Taylor has arguably shown a lot of support in the last year (sure) but thats so minuscule in the lens of her entire career 

Edited by ryoncé

Blade Runner

Poor Britney. 

cancer

what has she done other than carry Todrick Hall around as an accessory? 

fridayteenage
3 minutes ago, ryoncé said:

Taylor waited 10 years into her career to say a WORD about the gays????? She waited until her commercial peak was over to THEN open her brand to the LGBT community -

well that's not accurate

Raver

Love Taylor but no. 

ryoncé
1 minute ago, fridayteenage said:

well that's not accurate

she actively voiced support for gay rights prior to 2019 ?? pls share where bc i cant seem to find a single receipt 

starsailor

Xtina and Gaga exists, so no.

cancer

I may be drag Gaga here and there but I think she has one the most for gay people than any other pop girl (even Madonna) and she comes across as genuine.

Magdalene

what 

Valtersen

dream

UnanimousBB16

I am glad people are taking up for Lady Gaga in here, and see it as a slap in the face. She literally gave u her commercial appeal after her first album to cater to them, and to completely ignore what she has done for the LGBT community for Taylor is foul.

Daniel767

Britney ...

Rev8
51 minutes ago, DaddyIssuesX said:

She left country music in 2014 and only supported the LGBTQ community publicly like last year or something and she didn’t even have a very solid reason for being quiet as well :rip: I love taylor as much as the next girl but no

^

48 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Poor Britney. 

what about Gaga :eli:

The Second Coming

The examples posted so far are more about pandering the gays through flamboyant music and visuals rather than honest activism like Taylor is doing tbh

Pmtx3TD.gif

ErnieSwift
Posted (edited)

Prior to 2019, Taylor has been quite vocal about her support for the LGBTQ+ community. In 2008, she spoke up about Larry King who was a teenager who was murdered by a classmate for being gay. In her 2011 music video for her song Mean, part of the video was a commentary on toxic masculinity and bullying that queer people have to deal with. In 2014, Taylor financially supported a gay fan who was thrown out of his home by his family because of who he was. Not to mention the amount of charities Taylor has donated to that support equality. Of course, she may not have been as vocal as her peers had been at the time, she has always cared about the community even when she was working in country music.

Edited by ErnieSwift
Additions

Janet
4 minutes ago, The Second Coming said:

pandering the gays through flamboyant music and visuals

except the yntcd video is just that 

Pmtx3TD.gif

Pandora

I love Taylor, but that’s just wrong. She waited until LGBT issues became commercially appealing for celebrities to endorse.

Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande are definitely the next in line after Madonna.

BlueBird

Xtina and Gaga sweeties...