Jealous

Do you avoid talking about social issues and politics...?

Jealous

To your friends or on your social media? I do tbh, because I don't wanna offend anyone and I don't know what their level of tolerance is.

ariananext

uhm no, why would I? I stand for human rights for EVERYBODY and justice if that hurts anybody it says more about them than about me :rip: 

I always speak up when my friends say something dumb and it happens quite a lot because social issues aren't as covered here as they are overseas I guess. some italian politicians are very ****** up so we all agree about that, it's all boomers fault.

Booyah

I dont understand politics so... 

Jealous
1 minute ago, ariananext said:

uhm no, why would I? I stand for human rights for EVERYBODY and justice if that hurts anybody it says more about them than about me :rip: 

I always speak up when my friends say something dumb and it happens quite a lot because social issues aren't as covered here as they are overseas I guess. some italian politicians are very ****** up so we all agree about that, it's all boomers fault.

The other day a friend of mine threatened to punch my face because I said something about religion :rip: He later apologized but I was turned off by his reaction, never talk him to again. I'm pretty liberal for my country's standards (which is like the Southern US but Muslim) and that's why I don't really voice my true thoughts about let's say (religious) racism or LGBT rights. I feel like showing support of them will do more harm than good. I was basically silenced once too because they find the topic "uncomfortable".

Khal

Of course not, helps me weed out the undesirables pretty quickly.

Imagine being months/years into a friendship and you find out they're the "blue lives matter" kind of people :doc:

ariananext
6 minutes ago, Jealous said:

The other day a friend of mine threatened to punch my face because I said something about religion :rip: He later apologized but I was turned off by his reaction, never talk him to again. I'm pretty liberal for my country's standards (which is like the Southern US but Muslim) and that's why I don't really voice my true thoughts about let's say (religious) racism or LGBT rights. I feel like showing support of them will do more harm than good. I was basically silenced once too because they find the topic "uncomfortable".

omg :rip: this is ridiculous I hate people like that, here in Italy you can find many dumb people but it's quite rare to find someone as harsh as this.. most of young people here completely ignore religion but other topics.. eh. I had a bad argument with one of my friends a couple of months ago that said feminism is a joke cause women abuses don't exist :rip: most of them don't care about homosexuality too, they just care about what concerns themselves I guess

Jealous
2 minutes ago, Khal said:

Of course not, helps me weed out the undesirables pretty quickly.

Imagine being months/years into a friendship and you find out they're the "blue lives matter" kind of people :doc:

My country is quite conservative so the majority are a bit uneducated on stuff like this :rip: Maybe if I lived in a different country I can do that but if I did that I'd have no friends here lol. So I try to "tolerate" some lines. I'm ok with ppl who disagree with LGBT but if they're outright anti-LGBT then I can't tolerate that, if that makes sense.

Jealous
4 minutes ago, ariananext said:

omg :rip: this is ridiculous I hate people like that, here in Italy you can find many dumb people but it's quite rare to find someone as harsh as this.. most of young people here completely ignore religion but other topics.. eh. I had a bad argument with one of my friends a couple of months ago that said feminism is a joke cause women abuses don't exist :rip: most of them don't care about homosexuality too, they just care about what concerns themselves I guess

Ikr :rip: The religious majority here have said way way worse things about the religious minority or gays and I say one thing and they get riled up. Imagine the minorities having to put up with their bull**** and not saying anything. It was only that one dude though. He said he was embarrassed by his immediate reaction but still. My other friends were okay with differing views

ariananext
3 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Ikr :rip: The religious majority here have said way way worse things about the religious minority or gays and I say one thing and they get riled up. Imagine the minorities having to put up with their bull**** and not saying anything. It was only that one dude though. He said he was embarrassed by his immediate reaction but still. My other friends were okay with differing views

I hope that one day the world will be a better place for people of all kinds, i'm absolutely liberal but some people truly don't deserve freedom of speech. after that argument I told you we started talking about fascism/nazism and one of them said "well thank god we all have different views" but.. it's not fair for someone who's privileged to have a "different view" when someone else's life is in danger?? like? this is not music taste or some dumb stuff we're talking about

KillingYourCareer

I seldom discuss it with my friends, and never on social media. I don't care about politics that much, and I feel like who you vote for is your own business, I always cringe at people whose Facebook profile picture includes a sticker saying who they voted for.

KillingYourCareer
19 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Exactly, one time I posted about a convicted pedo priest from my town (who was the leader of CL - Comunione e Liberazione, a religious mafia as it's often described), and one of his followers commented "but he's a good man, he married my parents!" I feel like strongly religious people here are just clueless and brainwashed but non-aggressive.

Blue Jeans

I discuss politics sometimes in real life, especially when the news is on. But I almost never do it on social media. I know what I stand for, and I’m not gonna post and talk about something because others tell me to do so or when it’s suddenly “in fashion” :cm:

exogaga
Posted (edited)

Sure. I don't think white privilege exists in the world. But if i insist that white privilege does not exist in the world, the Democrats will call me racist. I'm tired of not logical arguments of the Democrats, so i always avoid talking about political issues. ALL.LIVES.MATTER.

Edited by exogaga

jesus del rey

No. I am vocal about social issues and I don't care if I offend anyone. If anyone comes up to with their racist, misogynist, homophobic, queerphobic, etc arguements then I am going to let them have it. If you want a more tolerant world, then you have to give no tolerance to untolerant people. 

Space Cowboy

I hate politics and I find annoying people who talk about politics all day, so yes.

808s

I love talking about politics but most of my friends don't care, which is sad considering the country we live in and how much our future is dependent on the actions we take now.

Anthem

I’m dating a politician, so I avoid talking politics in case I accidentally say something that’s a conflict of interest. For the most part, I do share the same ideas as him - but even then it can be a dangerous game.

DevonRoars

Yes. Every chance I get to educate people.

Vertigo Stick
Posted (edited)

I talk more about it now. People need to be educated. Reality isn't suburban America. Reality isn't Starbucks, HP house sorting quizzes, and binge watching Sweet Magnolia. Americans need a heavy dosage of reality given all the distractions around us. 

Edited by Vertigo Stick

shookspeare

yes, but not because i'm apolitical

i don't feel comfortable expressing my beliefs in many situations as i work in a very liberal industry where my centrist views might as well be synonymous with those of the alt right

Violet Skye

I've been leaning right lately so yes I've been avoiding social issues with my friends whom are mostly liberals and democrats.

Jealous
5 hours ago, exogaga said:

Sure. I don't think white privilege exists in the world. But if i insist that white privilege does not exist in the world, the Democrats will call me racist. I'm tired of not logical arguments of the Democrats, so i always avoid talking about political issues. ALL.LIVES.MATTER.

I'm a center-left/moderate but white privilege does exist... but I guess we can agree to disagree

5 hours ago, jesus del rey said:

No. I am vocal about social issues and I don't care if I offend anyone. If anyone comes up to with their racist, misogynist, homophobic, queerphobic, etc arguements then I am going to let them have it. If you want a more tolerant world, then you have to give no tolerance to untolerant people. 

I applaud your activism.

5 hours ago, 808s said:

I love talking about politics but most of my friends don't care, which is sad considering the country we live in and how much our future is dependent on the actions we take now.

Omg same. They feel threatened cuz they're dumb and can't keep up.

32 minutes ago, Vertigo Stick said:

I talk more about it now. People need to be educated. Reality isn't suburban America. Reality isn't Starbucks, HP house sorting quizzes, and binge watching Sweet Magnolia. Americans need a heavy dosage of reality given all the distractions around us. 

Points. :clap3:

15 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

yes, but not because i'm apolitical

i don't feel comfortable expressing my beliefs in many situations as i work in a very liberal industry where my centrist views might as well be synonymous with those of the alt right

Same I'm center-left but far-leftists will still drag me if I don't agree on everything with them

Taylucifer

No but I avoid debating about it with other people. One thing I learned is that you can rarely change other people’s opinion once they’re set with it. 

Claw

That’s how the status quo is maintained.

Caesar

It depends. If I'm with people I'm not really close with or co workers, I have to read the room first. I'm very left leaning so majority of the time I don't share my true views. 

If I'm having conversations with my close friends, then of coarse it comes out in our topics.