Janet Jackson: State of the World Tour

stephen1108

Packed house. According to concert goers her energy was high and the crowd was lit. But no costume changes and the stage was pretty basic.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, robbyds said:

Packed house. According to concert goers her energy was high and the crowd was lit. But no costume changes and the stage was pretty basic.

At this point, I really don't think she has tour support, so she's just sticking with what she has. And with a few shows here and there now, she's the giving the main stuff. The performance.

Horizon Flame
4 hours ago, KimmyBella said:

Why is this tour giving me Cher’s Farewell Tour vibes ? 

Well it's not her farewell tour, so what's your point?

6 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

I meant it as to how Cher kept extending her tour... nothing bad at all. 

6 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

I meant it as to how Cher kept extending her tour... nothing bad at all. 

14 hours ago, jdmc218 said:

At this point, I really don't think she has tour support, so she's just sticking with what she has. And with a few shows here and there now, she's the giving the main stuff. The performance.

That's the thing. She had better costumes in the last year. She should have just used some of those together with the new black jumpsuit (?) to add a little something to the performance. I'm sure it would have looked better visually. Oh well, the Japanese fans didn't seem to find at all so I guess it's all good. 

So let's have a conversation about Janet and touring.

Since SOTW Tour started, on other fan sites and message boards, some JanFam constantly complain about: 

- make up and eye brows

- hair: her ponytail last year and the new curly wig

- wardrobe: either not wearing tight enough clothes, lacking costume changes, or covering up too much

- setlist changes: eliminating songs or excluding songs that fit the theme of the show 

- staging: not having a bigger production like previous tours or bringing the current production to every show

How important are these things to you? What are your thoughts?

As someone who has seen her 6 times since 2017, I've enjoyed each show. But there are fans who aren't attending the shows that have so much critique. 

2 hours ago, kishi said:

Since SOTW Tour started, on other fan sites and message boards, some JanFam constantly complain about: 

- make up and eye brows

- wardrobe: either not wearing tight enough clothes, lacking costume changes, or covering up too much

- setlist changes: eliminating songs or excluding songs that fit the theme of the show 

- staging: not having a bigger production like previous tours or bringing the current production to every show

As someone who has seen her 6 times since 2017, I've enjoyed each show. But there are fans who aren't attending the shows that have so much critique. 

She's performing and she's bringing in people and she's selling out. There's not really much to say.

GKUOGmm.gif

2 hours ago, kishi said:

- make up and eye brows

Honestly, bigger production would be nice, but I had no problem with the styling she got for SOTWT 18, she looked amazing and youthful and cool without trying too hard. My real issue is that she's so stuck on medleys. I would rather see her perform 15 full songs with another 5 half songs than 35 half songs. Hopefully with the next album, because she's basically been doing the RWUT setlist for four tours now!

1 hour ago, jdmc218 said:

She's performing and she's bringing in people and she's selling out. There's not really much to say.

GKUOGmm.gif

:jonny5:

2018 was such a great year for Janet and as a fan, I'm learning to spend less time reading others' opinions about what she should or shouldn't do. Her legacy is being respected and her coins continue. No ponytail or jumpsuit is going to stop that. 

1 hour ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Honestly, bigger production would be nice, but I had no problem with the styling she got for SOTWT 18, she looked amazing and youthful and cool without trying too hard. My real issue is that she's so stuck on medleys. I would rather see her perform 15 full songs with another 5 half songs than 35 half songs. Hopefully with the next album, because she's basically been doing the RWUT setlist for four tours now!

I agree with everything except for the last sentence. The set lists of SOTW Tour and RWU Tour don't have much in common. 

5 minutes ago, kishi said:

:jonny5:

2018 was such a great year for Janet and as a fan, I'm learning to spend less time reading others' opinions about what she should or shouldn't do. Her legacy is being respected and her coins continue. No ponytail or jumpsuit is going to stop that. 

My only little thing would be that she would go back to black as I keep saying, lol, but again, I'm not bothered by the little stuff cuz she's a winner. 2018 was definitely her year.

The7thStranger
4 hours ago, kishi said:

- make up and eye brows

I think the criticisms aren't that warranted.

The only thing she deserves to catch flack for is the lip-syncing and the lack of EU dates.

1 hour ago, jdmc218 said:

My only little thing would be that she would go back to black as I keep saying, lol, but again, I'm not bothered by the little stuff cuz she's a winner. 2018 was definitely her year.

She is a winner! And she REALLY can't let black go! :dies:

It's clear it's her favorite color and she's comfortable with it. I wouldn't mind seeing her with other colors. 

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

I think the criticisms aren't that warranted.

The only thing she deserves to catch flack for is the lip-syncing and the lack of EU dates.

Janet has the stamina to keep up with her routines, which is what matters most. Choreography is the center and root of her performance. 

Rather than giving winded and off pitch vocals, focus on those 8-counts and hit them! 

I do know that parts of "What About" are live. I also know that her mic is always on and pre-recorded tracks vocals are put on top or blended in to help project her voice. At Essence Music Festival and Panorama, she started to sing The Skin Game and stopped when the vocal tracks didn't come in with her. 

Europe will hopefully get some festival and theater dates soon!

1 hour ago, kishi said:

She is a winner! And she REALLY can't let black go! :dies:

It's clear it's her favorite color and she's comfortable with it. I wouldn't mind seeing her with other colors. 

Janet has the stamina to keep up with her routines, which is what matters most. Choreography is the center and root of her performance. 

Rather than giving winded and off pitch vocals, focus on those 8-counts and hit them! 

I do know that parts of "What About" are live. I also know that her mic is always on and pre-recorded tracks vocals are put on top or blended in to help project her voice. At Essence Music Festival and Panorama, she started to sing The Skin Game and stopped when the vocal tracks didn't come in with her. 

Europe will hopefully get some festival and theater dates soon!

I feel like the MFN performances were both live... surprisingly. Did you catch how out of breath she was at the end of the Jimmy Fallon performance? It looks like she's singing live more than we (I) think.

4 minutes ago, eli's_rhythm said:

I feel like the MFN performances were both live... surprisingly. Did you catch how out of breath she was at the end of the Jimmy Fallon performance? It looks like she's singing live more than we (I) think.

I think so too. It's definitely a mix of live and pre-recorded vocals. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unbreakble tour - $15M (excluding 3 japan shows)

SOTW tour - $44.6M (excluding 2 japan shows)

Combined: $60M (with japan shows included probably $65M+)

Archived