skwonderfactory

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

skwonderfactory
Posted (edited)

...aka The Hunger Games prequel! 

image.jpg

It’s out NOW and takes place 68 years before the beginning of Katniss’ journey in the original Hunger Games trilogy. It follows the story of Coriolanus Snow and his rise to power. He mentors a girl from District 12 in the 10th Hunger Games.

Once read, please post all spoilers in tags (the eye icon in the toolbar), in case those visiting have not read yet and/or don’t want to be spoiled.

Edited by skwonderfactory

ALA

My copy is coming in the mail. :sistrens:

Kummercell

It's out THIS WEEK? :eek:

I completely forgot to preorder it :skull:

Gorgeous
14 minutes ago, Kummercell said:

It's out THIS WEEK? :eek:

I completely forgot to preorder it :skull:

Me too :psyduck: the concept of time is non existent anymore 

Luner45

I preordered mine on amazon and I have to wait till the 27th to get it. I preordered it back in April too :noparty:

Coma Baby

Why does the title sound like a fanfic about pop gurl drama. :toofunny2:

Aston Martin

I've heard from people that read it that it's really good. I'm really excited to read it, The Hunger Games was my favorite book series growing up.

Desire

My copy is coming in on Thursday. I cannot wait :jonny5: 

fridayteenage

Read the last two chapters first just to spoil myself. Interesting if unsurprising

skwonderfactory

I'm 5 chapters in and it's incredible so far. Love the world building so far. 

I prefer physical books, but I literally have ZERO dollars so I'm listening to the audio version through my Audible free trial.

Aston Martin
9 minutes ago, skwonderfactory said:

I'm 5 chapters in and it's incredible so far. Love the world building so far. 

I prefer physical books, but I literally have ZERO dollars so I'm listening to the audio version through my Audible free trial.

Same lmao. If the book is that good (and I’m on chapter 10 and it is so far) I’ll buy it physically later on. 

fridayteenage

Halfway in, it is incredibly boring and Snow is generic. Collins' prose has never been anything special so there's no help there. And there's a lot of songs for the soundtrack so I guess the lead-ish female should be someone who can sing in the adaptation.

Aston Martin

I just finished the book. It was a mixed bag to me. Had some good parts and a lot of potential, but it was dragged down by a fair bit of deadweight. Overall, 5/10.

Ranking of the books: The Hunger Games > Mockingjay > Catching Fire >>>>> The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

The good

Spoiler

Sejanus (He was one of my favorite characters, and I think his death was the saddest part of the book)

Tigris (She was great, and I'm curious how her and Snow's relationship deteriorated and I hope that gets answered at some point) 

Dr. Gaul (Great villain, I loved her insanity)

"Ma"

Snow's grandmother (delusional but funny)

When Brandy (D10 girl) killed her mentor at the zoo.

The last bit of the epilogue when Snow poisoned the Dean (and if the entire book had shown Snow conducting himself like this and seizing power at the end, it would have been a 10/10)

Dr. Gaul, Clemensia, and the snakes

When Sejanus and Snow were in the arena

The arena getting bombed

Suzanne didn't really make Snow sympathetic 

The Hanging Tree/Deep in the Meadow being written by Lucy Gray. That probably made it sting that much more when Katniss sings both songs in the main trilogy.

The fact that we knew all of the tribute's names this time around.

When Snow uses a jabberjay to backstab Sejanus.

The games were pretty interesting, though learning about them through the view of a mentor isn't as interesting as I thought it would be.

The bad 

Spoiler

The amount of fanservice (the capitol families relating to characters we see in the main trilogy, the use of the katniss plant felt shoehorned in part 3 whenever it was mentioned)

The foreshadowing felt too on the nose.

The story dragged on and got boring at parts. It was definitely too long.

being in snow's perspective, it was a lot harder to get through because the protagonist isn't likeable. It's good that she didn't write Snow as likable at least, but it makes it harder to get through a story with someone like that being the main focus.

Lucy Gray. I know she's supposed to be "magnetic and likeable" but she was pretty aggravating. 

Most of the third act

The fact that it felt like a historical fiction but this story technically takes place in the future (after the fall of America)

The amount of ****ing music. Good god. It got to the point that it was annoying.

A lot of the political commentary wasn't really nuanced, just out in the open. Whereas in the main trilogy, it felt more subtle and more effective as a result.

With the amount of fan service, you think we would've saw Mags's games, but nope. Maybe there will be another installment?

The fact that multiple tributes were dead before the games started. Especially the fact that two of them were the District 9 tributes (which we still don't know **** about)

Courtney Love

I pre-ordered it 2/3 weeks ago, super excited I'll have it in a few days :smitten:

pengkweeen

Gonna start reading this this weekend. Hopefully it's as good as the first trilogy!

Matthew

Just finished it! I enjoyed it. It was too long but worth reading. Only thing I really didn’t care for were the number of songs. The first couple of times songs were included was nice. But then it just got annoying. Probably could’ve been 100 pages shorter. 

Daylight

Personally liked it. Certainly not perfect, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Some highlights were: Lucy Grey as a character is someone you root for, seeing the evolution of the Hunger Games before they are what we know them to be in the original trilogy, it was a villain origin story but it didn’t make us feel sympathetic for Snow, Sejanus and Tigris were really interesting.

I still wish some answers were given regarding:

Spoiler

- Lucy Grey’s fate;

- The falling out between Snow and Tigris;

- Is there really civilization outside of Panem (it’s only hinted at but we don’t know for sure).

And probably more I can’t remember at the moment. It would have been a better book if maybe Snow wasn’t the protagonist, although it would have been difficult to give out some of the new information if it wasn’t from his perspective. I hope that Suzanne writes new prequel books focusing other characters in the future. 

Aston Martin

Upon reread, I liked the book a lot more. However, I still don't know how they're going to translate it into a good film. I really came to like the last 1/3rd of the book but most of it would be boring to watch on film. The issue cutting most of it out is that a lot of the boring stuff is integral to the buildup to the more climactic moments of the 3rd act.