? DIAMOND HIT ? Farewell / Next Season Announcement pg.328 ?

fountain

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• ceremonials

• Jackson

• Temporal

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jpow said:

are we dissecting the Katy song? 

Yes, we are dissecting the social commentary disco pop song Chained to the Rhythm by American pop artist Katy Perry.

Love the way she DRAGGED political escapism. All my friends just keep sweeping things under the rug because it doesn't pertain to them specifically, but that mentality is toxic. She really DID that 

CTTR has a lot of cases of ALMOST good lyricism (Mainly talking about the title's double meaning) but it really "stumbles" trying to be both apolitical and political at the same time, it's not a case of dogwhistling, it's just clumsily handled

song is ok. It's not good or great, it's just there

Edited by 8thPrince

17 minutes ago, Hug said:

I've had Chained to the Rhythm on repeat dd.

You better than the top grossing female song on iTunes

2vlSYpm.gif 

1 minute ago, 8thPrince said:

trying to be both apolitical and political at the same time

I mean it does, but that's the point.

I like it, don't know if I love it, but it's pretty inoffensive and I like the direction Titty is taking. She's finally applying herself; all it took was for the world to end!

I think being surface level inoffensive enough to be played on radio while having a lowkey agenda was the best play to make. I think it works for her.

3 minutes ago, Temporal said:

I like it, don't know if I love it, but it's pretty inoffensive and I like the direction Titty is taking. She's finally applying herself; all it took was for the world to end!

No, there's a different between a political conceit and an implicit political message. Katy tries to do both in the song and doesn't handle either well. The metaphor is too thin and not elaborated enough for how far she tries to stretch it, while Marley's part is too ambiguous, too hamfisted in a short amount of time

Edited by 8thPrince

4 minutes ago, Temporal said:

Not inoffensive enough for the alt right to not be in arms!

2vlSYpm.gif 

2 minutes ago, Hug said:

I think being surface level inoffensive enough to be played on radio while having a lowkey agenda was the best play to make. I think it works for her.

Mte. But even then it's not that low-key, if you ignore the message to just bop to it then you should feel guilty that you're missing the entire point of the song. It's pretty smart tbh.

3 minutes ago, Hug said:

Yeah, this is really what she was going for and she pulled it off

2vlSYpm.gif 

Just now, Jackson said:

Not inoffensive enough for the alt right to not be in arms!

2vlSYpm.gif 

I meant inoffensive more sonically than lyrically, I'm gonna live for the Alt-Reichs meltdowns

2vlSYpm.gif

Just now, Temporal said:

I meant inoffensive more sonically than lyrically, I'm gonna live for the Alt-Reichs meltdowns

2vlSYpm.gif

One of their leaders already tweeted about the song, don't remember his name though

2zY398Q.gif

The guy with like a sepia pic of his face, dark hair with a beard 

What is funny is that the lyric video does a MUCH better job at communicating the intention behind the song/is better political commentary than the actual song.

• ATRL Moderator

I had to buy myself a new keyboard because the bottom row of my keys stopped working so I probably appear super cheap with this massive Logitech keyboard connected to my tiny Mac.

Also, I have a really bad habit of hitting the V key instead of the C key since I had to copy and paste it in for so long. :rip:  to my typing skills 

3 minutes ago, 8thPrince said:

What is funny is that the lyric video does a MUCH better job at communicating the intention behind the song/is better political commentary than the actual song.

a Formation tea!

2zY398Q.gif

I could tell it was political even from the chorus snippet tho, which is the least political aspect of the song 

• ATRL Moderator

Wait is Chained to the Rhythm really a political song or are all of yall being dumb?

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Corsola said:

kii you'll quickly learn how to type on your new keyboard it just takes a few days to adjust

& logitech keyboards slay but mine rn is a multimedia rosewill keyboard 

I can't figure out the formation I want my keyboard in next to my Macbook though :rip:  

Like it's huge and it's currently sitting to the left of my Macbook so if my Macbook is 12 o'clock, then me and my keyboard are at like 10 o'clock and it's a mess right now :rip:

The keyboard will hopefully only be a short term solution to me buying a new Macbook when I get my tax return though.  

19 minutes ago, 8thPrince said:

No, there's a different between a political conceit and an implicit political message. Katy tries to do both in the song and doesn't handle either well. The metaphor is too thin and not elaborated enough for how far she tries to stretch it, while Marley's part is too ambiguous, too hamfisted in a short amount of time

6 minutes ago, jpow said:

Wait is Chained to the Rhythm really a political song or are all of yall being dumb?

Point proven. :alexz3: