Almost Home

Bey's Lion King 3rd most profitable movie of 2019

Feanor
13 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Absolutely not. My post is factual. The chatter was about gross not profitability. Frozen 2 still trails behind on that front. 

Well profitably >>> gross

OT: Favreau did that :clap: 

Bey'Knight
37 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Well profitably >>> gross

OT: Favreau did that :clap: 

Well no one talks about profitability. Everyone knows the record held by Gone with the wind, Titanic, Avatar and now Endgame in the course of history ... I rest my case. 

Coma Baby

Only the worst 1B+ grossing movie of all time! :clap3:

Feanor
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bey'Knight said:

Well no one talks about profitability. Everyone knows the record held by Gone with the wind, Titanic, Avatar and now Endgame in the course of history ... I rest my case. 

Well, considering none of us will ever see a single dollar of those grosses, it doesn’t matter if someone talks about them or not.

For the studios, who actually reap the rewards, the actual profit is what they look for, that’s why I said profitability > gross.

Gross is just a cute number for PR purposes, revenue & profit are the numbers with actual value & importance

Edited by Feanor

Feanor
10 minutes ago, Coma Baby said:

I think Aquaman was way worse :rip:

Shinning
13 hours ago, MrLovett said:

It was 'Beyoncé's Lion King' in every aspect. The poor critical response just showed once again that ATRL were talking out of their ass when they said nothing that Beyoncé is involved in can get poor reviews, because they're too scared to rate her/her projects poorly. In fact, I was told on this forum that projects with black people predominantly involved were automatically rated higher, because critics were scared of being called racist. I guess they didn't care with this one, huh.

OT: Massively profitable and well received amongst the public. :clap3: We love a hit.

aaaahhhh this tea 

Expose OBH delusions!

Bey'Knight
3 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Well, considering none of us will ever see a single dollar of those grosses, it doesn’t matter if someone talks about them or not.

For the studios, who actually reap the rewards, the actual profit is what they look for, that’s why I said profitability > gross.

Gross is just a number, the profits & actual revenue are the numbers with actual value & importance

Well I’m not a part of the studio, I’m a member of the public so that discourse aligns better with my views. 

I did emphasise on statistics in my final year project so if I were to play devil’s advocate there’s s case to be made for gross over profitability. The first which I’ve already addressed, historically gross is far more memorable and etched into public consciousness than profitability. Avatar and GWTW were probably not the most profitable movies in their respective years of release but the prestige of the records held will continually generate residuals for years to come. 

secondly, you’re forgetting that profit (Net gross) is fundamentally a component of gross. It’s not a case of having one over the other. In this case TLK still made over 1 billion in profit in addition to grossing more. 

Finally, less returns on TLK is not a reflection on its quality. A 100% CGI movie was always going to cost more to make than a 100% animated movie. So if we presume Disney spent the exact same on marketing and promotion and audiences responded to both movies equally, it would still be more probable that Frozen 2 ends up more profitable anyway. 

Mariano

What a missed opportunity. The way Bey gained nothing from this outside of some money which she has plenty of :rip:

I hope next time she decides to do film, she does live action remake (of a live action) or better yet - something original, because a live action remake of an animation is like... the worst :rip:   I can see a new animation with Bey music STOMPING, but TLK... already has an iconic soundtrack it was very unnecessary to push more music for the exact same film :rip: 

HANZ94
15 hours ago, ONOPKA said:

Always ‘bey’s lion king’ when it comes to $$ but never when it comes to critical acclaim

It’s still a stinker of a remake and that’s all it will be remembered for

This and don’t forget the Bombing Soundtrack 

which literally has “The Lion King”  as the album title 

Almost Home
1 hour ago, Coma Baby said:

That's not even true. Tons of other 1B+ grossing movies have far worse audience reception than this one. :skull: 

Almost Home
4 minutes ago, HANZ94 said:

This and don’t forget the Bombing Soundtrack 

which literally has “The Lion King”  as the album title 

Why are you going off topic again and trying to shoe-horn in the Various Artists release The Gift here? :coffee2:

Jagger
Posted (edited)

lmfao this just reminded me how atrocious her acting was in this movie :lmao: 

the funniest part is how much bey probably thought this was going to be such an iconic moment for her 

Edited by Jagger

PULSE.
15 hours ago, MrLovett said:

It was 'Beyoncé's Lion King' in every aspect. The poor critical response just showed once again that ATRL were talking out of their ass when they said nothing that Beyoncé is involved in can get poor reviews, because they're too scared to rate her/her projects poorly. In fact, I was told on this forum that projects with black people predominantly involved were automatically rated higher, because critics were scared of being called racist. I guess they didn't care with this one, huh.

OT: Massively profitable and well received amongst the public. :clap3: We love a hit.

Bloop :lmao:

OBH can’t even find a struggle to stick to :lmao:

HANZ94
9 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

Why are you going off topic again and trying to shoe-horn in the Various Artists release The Gift here? :coffee2:

See? 
Now that I bombed they are calling it a various artists project even tho Beyonce sings in most of the songs and she is the main thing In it sjdjskkgkldg

MrLovett
27 minutes ago, HANZ94 said:

See? 
Now that I bombed they are calling it a various artists project even tho Beyonce sings in most of the songs and she is the main thing In it sjdjskkgkldg

It’s literally credited that way by every chart company on the planet. :rip: It’s not our fault that you choose to be this ignorant.

Coma Baby
29 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

That's not even true. Tons of other 1B+ grossing movies have far worse audience reception than this one. :skull: 

That's just my opinion, but depending on the place you look it's certainly not far off. It's definitely in the bottom quarter. :skull:

E.g. when you search for a complete list of 1B+ grossers on letterboxd and rank them by average rating from highest to lowest, TLK ranks at #38/46 with only stuff like Transformers and Despicable Me/Minions below it. And the gag is that some of the bad stuff like the Transformers movies and Star Wars: Episode I aren't even that bad, they're just movies that have become cool to hate and drag. :dies:

Phantom

Wow things are dire for the Hive I suppose 

But yasss cling on to this ulcer of a movie :deadbanana2:

Congratulations to all that actors that had more than 25 minutes in the film! 

BNF91

the way this was supposed to gross OVER 2 BILLION.. the box office forums i follow and all the insiders had this pegged for at least 750M US/2B+ worldwide after the first trailer hit. the hype died really fast after reviews came out of it being a soulless retread copy/paste and the total misfire of some of the songs. i know that I and many others were very let down by the way this project unfolded, and forgot about checking it in theatres because of it. TLK was my childhood movie and i was gonna be there opening weekend. 2020 and i still haven't bothered to watch it. it's so boring and tiring watching bey stans cling to what success this film did have. they could have cast someone else as Nala and the gross wouldn't have changed one bit. the way it BARELY crawled past Emma Watson's Beauty and the Beast in the US/Canada box office (considering inflation BATB actually outgrossed TLK in the US).. despite the OG Lion King outgrossing the OG BATB by over 65%. yikes. it was the BIGGEST ANIMATED FILM OF ALL TIME for many years, the hype was palpable when it was announced, regardless of if any beyonce was gonna be in this. what a missed opportunity.

it is a disappointment in the same way The Rise of Skywalker was, despite grossing over 1 billion dollars. 

XAMJ

Frozen 2 has more profit :clap3:

ScarletWitch

Beyonce's The Lion #98 King did that :clap3:

200.gif

éclat

All those people paid to see Beyonce’s movie and then not listen to Beyonce’s album  :sherlock: 

MrLovett
5 hours ago, BNF91 said:

they could have cast someone else as Nala and the gross wouldn't have changed one bit.

But they didn't, they specifically cast Beyoncé for the role. So you guys will just have to keep trying with your hypotheticals and stay mad, I guess. :fan:

OT: Congrats to Beyoncé's The Lion King for being so hugely profitable! :clap3:

BNF91
5 hours ago, MrLovett said:

But they didn't, they specifically cast Beyoncé for the role. So you guys will just have to keep trying with your hypotheticals and stay mad, I guess. :fan:

OT: Congrats to Beyoncé's The Lion King for being so hugely profitable! :clap3:

And stans with their rose colored glasses on will never be able to digest or understand any sort of criticism towards queen Beyonce. I legitimately feel she was completely miscast and all you can say is stay mad 😂 just childish. The only thing I'm mad about is bey helping to ruin a childhood classic. It was a miscast IMO, plain and simple. Stop being so bothered by any negative directed at your lord and savior.

MrLovett
5 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

And stans with their rose colored glasses on will never be able to digest or understand any sort of criticism towards queen Beyonce. I legitimately feel she was completely miscast and all you can say is stay mad 😂 just childish. The only thing I'm mad about is bey helping to ruin a childhood classic. It was a miscast IMO, plain and simple. Stop being so bothered by any negative directed at your lord and savior.

There it is, the usual trope of the OBH claiming that we view Beyoncé as a God. :toofunny3: You will just have to stay mad, because she was cast, did a good job and the film was hugely successful. So the only thing you can do is whine and then get over it.

Criticism is welcomed when it’s valid and deserved, but you don’t get to post childish nonsense and then whinge when called out on it. That’s not how it works.

Coma Baby
12 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

You stated in your first post that you hadn't even seen it and now you wanna claim she was miscast (which is hardly even possible considering the fact that she had what felt like 5 lines and obviously slayed the musical numbers)? :dies:

The reality is

• The movie was successful 
  • Could have been more successful if it had actually been good
  • Beyoncé had nothing to do with its success 
  • Beyoncé also had nothing to do with the fact that it sucked

Both sides need to sit, actually. :dies: