Scream (2022) | Out Now!

ConceptD

This was medium, I'm relieved but also a bit sorry to say? After Halloween 2018, I couldn't take anyone's opinions on "requels" (lol) srsly so I adjusted my expectations going into this and they were satisfactorily met! Will elaborate tomorrow once I gather my thots more.

6.75/10 🍅

Edited by Reverse Warholian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oktober Knight

• Hurem

• Sam96

• Ampersand13

3 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

This was medium, I'm relieved but also a bit sorry to say? After Halloween 2018, I couldn't take anyone's opinions on "requels" (lol) srsly so I adjusted my expectations going into this and they were met! Will elaborate tomorrow once I gather my thots more.

6.75/10 🍅

I kind of agree with you. I really liked it, but I would’ve liked anything Scream tbh. The first half was really boring and it didn’t hook me until after 

the Judy and Wes double murder which is when the film got exciting and brutal. What bugged me was that there were no chase scenes or really big set pieces like the car in 2, Sidney’s house set in 3 or even Rebecca being thrown onto the news van in 4. Everything was so low-key.

Okay I have a question for anyone that followed production closely. I’m gonna put it in spoilers just in case, but it’s not really spoiler so feel free to open if you haven’t seen the movie yet - 

when people were talking about the initial script there were rumours of a chase scene taking place in a big box/Cosco type store. Was this replaced with the bowling alley that we literally saw the exterior of for like 5 seconds? Confusing

I … kinda did not like it :chick3:

Spoiler

Idk why. 

I did not really care about the cast at all. The were left out to much. There was too much Tara and Sam. The others did not feel like genuinly friends? Like they felt like they were all friends with tara and not with each other…if that makes sense?

The should have shown more scenes with them doing normal stuff. Like I know we had the scene in the bar, in the Meeks house and a lil bit at the party.

It kinda felt like a poor Scream 4 remake when it comes to the cast. Maybe it is because I could not relate to them due to them being Gen Z’lers.

Idk if that makes sense to you.

Most of the characters felt underdeveloped and i did not care about them at all. I wanted everyone dead except the meek Twins and Wes.

I HATED how they wrote Deweys character. The fact that he wasn‘t a cop anymore and was at the lowest only to sacrifice himself at the end to become a hero. I thought that was cheap writing.

His death tho was shocking!!! I felt it was a deserved death scene for Dewey…but I wish they would have shoe in Gale and Sidney in it to see his death live.

The Higs death was not it for me. Judy deserved better for me. I wish they would have only killed Wes and let her go apeshit for the third act and maybe than get killed. And i wished they would have let Wes seen his mothers dead body. However, it had the best suspense of all the kills in this movie for me. 

Before watching the movie, I actually thought that both of them would be the killer as Higs always felt like a suspect to me and wes being a love child of either Billy or Stu.

I hated the killer reveal and kinda the 3rd act overall? Everything seemed so rushed and chaotic.

Amber being just **** it and shooting the other girl. She was suspicious from the whole beginning and i think it‘s because the actress gives me serial killer vibes lmao.

After  both of them died I was convinced that this is not the end and they gonna surprise us with a 3rd killer who would be related to the OG somehow or Tara.

Tara gave me creepy vibes through out the whole movie. I can picture her being a killer in potential future sequels. Like she gave me crazy vibes with the motive being „I did this all because my sister left me and wanted her to come back“. Still gave me this vibe when she was in that ambulance car.

I can see Sam going to be a killer in another movie too after she licked blood when she brutaly killed the **** out of Richie.

Idk if that makes sense. It felt like when she saw Billy in the mirror and he pointed a the knive seemingly trying to help her, I felt it wasn‘t a nice gesture from him but only bad intentions for her to lean in on her serial killer genes. I hope y‘all get what I mean 😂

Speaking of Billy. It was so cool when he popped up first but they should have stopped right there!

The OGs felt under utilised and not really part of the story of Ghostface.

Ghostface wasn‘t Ghostface to me. I guess it has something to do with the fact that in this movie it wasn‘t a Ghostface that targeted the OG3 and shared history with them but because it was Fans who tried to cosplay Ghostface. And I think that idea of this is very good but somehow wasn’t executed well.

He was brutal but it was only just stabbing people here and there. 

The pacing was just not it for me. It felt slow but at the same time rushed? The characters dynamic was underdeveloped.

Overall I have to give this movie a 3-4/10.

I need to watch it again as I have a feeling that I can see the potential in it. But right now it felt like a scream movie and at the same time not.

You could tell that Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson spark wasn‘t there

Positive things tho:

I liked the easter-eggs.

The meta was definitely scream to me. That is why I can see potential in future revisits.

The idea of the whole movie is imo excellent but suffers from the execution.

I can see potential in it. But it wasn‘t as instant as the other movies.

Thank you for reading and sorry for the rant.

Just got back an hour ago and this is Top 3 in the franchise for me. Jenna Ortega and Mindy are definitely the major stand outs for me. The opening scene is almost as good as the original IMO. Fantastic kills, chaotic third act, and just overall great sequel.

I did have some issues though.

Spoiler

- Wes dying was disappointing. I felt like that scene was powerful up until Judy’s death and I felt like in order to really give his character more depth he should have discovered his dead mother and then get attacked by Ghostface and ultimately living before the police arrive. From a story perspective he has WAY more to give (he had a crush on Tara as Sam mentioned, and was babysat by Sam, so there could have been a connection there for the next film), so the fact that they failed to explore that was kinda lame. Just bugs me because there really wasn’t that strong of a friendship between these people

- The friendships. This was my issue with Scream 4 as well. Your best friend or someone close to you dies and it’s like nobody cares. Not even any mourning, outside of Sam being upset that the kid she used to babysit just got killed. To me it made me care less about who was gonna die because it made some of these characters feel disposable. What was so great about the original is that Sidney has one close friend, Randy, and Billy /Stu. So them dying really meant something at the end. Even Casey dying affected Sidney and they weren't that close. Killing off a friend in the middle of a movie just doesn’t work when they don’t even care. It should have been all of them at the house and then start killing them off.

- Similar to above but characters were way under utilized. Liv and Amber were just there. Not a lot of character development outside the Carpenter sisters, the twins, and Richie. 

- Melissa Barrera (Sam) was pretty wooden. I hope if there’s a next one that it’s Jenna Ortega (Tara) who takes on as a lead because for me she was the star of this film and the standout. She reminded me most of Sidney, while Sam was a bit boring. Her performance wasn’t that great either. Interested to see where the two of them go.

- The critique about the movie being too meta is valid. All of them accusing each other of being the killer every time they were in the same room got old fast. That could have been executed better if maybe it was between two characters and not the entire cast just pointing fingers in the same room 24/7.

- Amber being the killer was lame. She was barely in the movie so it just wasn’t impactful at all. The idea of the significant other of the “main” girls is a nice homage to the original, but there were no scenes of Tara and Amber alone to really sell it. Unlike Richie’s reveal which I was actually surprised at (and enjoyed). The motive was also pretty stupid and I expected some more twist, maybe a Stu link but it’s fine. Honestly most Scream killer reveal motives aren’t good outside the OG so I can look past that. 

- Sidney had not a lot to do. I get it since this movie isn’t really about her but I would have loved a good chase.

- No chase scenes. The hospital scene was great with Tara, and again she did fantastic, but I would have liked more chase scenes and cat and mouse to build tension rather than the kills just happening quickly.

Overall I’d rank it: 1 > 2 = 5 > 3 > 4 and a 7.5/10. Wes would definitely be proud. Really hope there’s a 6 in the works because if …

Spoiler

The easter eggs of Kirby being aline are true (her contact info in Dewey’s phone, her face as a thumbnail as “Survivor of Woodsburo” in the corner as Richie watches Stab on his computer

then that would be very interesting. And out of the new cast survivors, I think a lot more can be done to pass the torch off to them. Gonna see it again soon for sure.

Oh I forgot to mention:

Spoiler

The lack of sets. I blame Covid for this because they filmed this in 2020 so not a lot of places to go, but the lack of staging or more diverse sets was a bit disappointing. It’s basically just houses and the hospital :rip:

Anyway everybody should see this in theaters. This is not a movie you watch for the first time at home!

Q: In order, what are Randy Meeks' rules for surviving a horror movie?

Mikey: Jasmin would know this one.

Jasmin: ... I'm so embarrassed right now.

:deadbanana4:

This was such a fun interview, what a lovely cast :heart:

3 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

This was medium, I'm relieved but also a bit sorry to say? After Halloween 2018, I couldn't take anyone's opinions on "requels" (lol) srsly so I adjusted my expectations going into this and they were met! Will elaborate tomorrow once I gather my thots more.

6.75/10 🍅

What is dis hunny :biblio:

2 hours ago, ConceptD said:

Kirby would’ve been a much better final girl and Hayden would have acted circles around the wooden one we got. Just saying. 

We deserved a Hayden return

Jesus, how is this fandom so obnoxious? The Facebook group and Reddit are complaining about Stu not being in this movie :rip: One of them even said they sat throughout the credits waiting for them to show Stu in prison :deadbanana2:

Spoiler

They really nailed the motive of the killers. Fandom's constant complaining just proves it :clap3: 

22 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Jesus, how is this fandom so obnoxious? The Facebook group and Reddit are complaining about Stu not being in this movie :rip: One of them even said they sat throughout the credits waiting for them to show Stu in prison :deadbanana2:

Hide contents

They really nailed the motive of the killers. Fandom's constant complaining just proves it :clap3: 

Imagine wanting this :rip: I would have asked for a refund because not only is it a ridiculous fan theory, but it also has been officially confirmed that they were actually going to do it at some point in the past so why would they ever do it now? 

So can we agree that...

Tara: attacked by Amber in the opening scene

Vince: killed by Amber (Richie was with Sam at the moment)

Sara: attacked by Richie at the hospital (Amber was with Judy)

Judy and Wes: probably killed by Richie (Amber was probably already at the hospital)

Dewey: killed by Amber (Richie was right there and Amber herself stated she killed Dewey)

Mindy and Chad: attacked by Richie (Amber was with Tara at the moment I think?)

Liz: killed by Amber (duh)

4 kills overall (5 if we count the police officer at the hospital) 

That's the exact same body count as the original if we exclude Sidney's mom and Billy/Stu.

(Also, we had 4 survivors in the first movie, the exact same as this one if we exclude the two legacy characters)

41 minutes ago, Venice B said:

So can we agree that...

Hide contents

Judy and Wes: probably killed by Richie (Amber was probably already at the hospital)

Dewey: killed by Amber (Richie was right there and Amber herself stated she killed Dewey)

That's the exact same body count as the original if we exclude Sidney's mom and Billy/Stu.

(Also, we had 4 survivors in the first movie, the exact same as this one if we exclude the two legacy characters)

Spoiler

Amber attacked Chad since Richie was in the car with Sam and Tara.

So something that confuses me 

Spoiler

I remember initial reviews for the movie were hyping up some shocking, big twist and turn of events. Please tell me they weren’t referring to the killer reveal :rip: I don’t know what else they could be referring to though 

39 minutes ago, Venice B said:

So can we agree that...

Hide contents

Actually I think...

Spoiler

• Tara: attacked by Richie (the killer was too tall to be Amber) but it's possible they were both at her house

• Vince: I think it could've been Richie because in promo stills you can see his car in the parking lot

• Judy and Wes: idk tbh

• Dewey, the cop and Chad: definitely Amber

• Mindy: probably Richie cause Amber was with Tara

This is easily the worst of all five movies.

I have never seen such cringy acting in my life especially with all the f bombs and especially when they were all in groups having conversations.

:ace: