A dark theme is now available to ATRL+ members. ×

Jessie Ware - 'What's Your Pleasure?'

World Eater

30 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Ok I will do a little tracks descriptions thing, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be tragically inaccurate :mandown:

Hide contents

1. Spotlight - I'm a bit conflicted with the album version as the single one was already perfect and this seems overdone. From the very beginning the orchestration seems more intense, the whole thing is 5:33 as various parts of the track get repeated more than in the single edit. In some places there is additional vocal layering of different parts being put together like a mashup and it just doesn't really work for me. It's either not completely polished or I'm too used to the single cut.

2. What's Your Pleasure? - I'm feeling very sexual :gaycat2: Contratry to her sensual whispery vocals the track is upbeat, the instrumentation is pumping and features some... distorted electric guitar? Harmonica? Wind instruments? Not sure as it's not directly in your face, but it's surely a noticaable detail that makes the song for me. The chorus is so HOT - Come on now push, press, more, less. Here together, what's your pleasure? :flame: 4:41

3. Ooh La La - while in the previous track the electric guitars were just an addition, here they totally build the song. It starts with a sample of busy traffic sounds, I'm imagining myself sitting by the window of a NY apartment in late evening :alexz3: I love the heavier bassline and infinite playful tweaks, spins of electric guiatrs through the song. It just goes on and on and each new part seems to have something new than the previous one. I can barely distinguish the chorus as the track is a one huge progression. Her vocal performance on this one is also sharp, fast, it all makes the song to not be very melodic or catchy, but it stands out because of that. 3:51

4. Soul Control - one of the tracks that has to grow on me, it has some of the elements I pointed out in Ooh La La, but not as perfectly executed. The post chorus is great though. 4:02

5. Save A Kiss - this is a serve, another Spotlight/Imagine It Was Us of the album? :gaycat5: Dance pop banger with disco elements aka gorgeous strings complimenting the rest. 4:02

6. Adore You - a discography highlight to me still.

7. In Your Eyes - Adore You started the more subtle, mid tempo moment of the album which continues here. Rich vocal layering and monumental strings make the song. It's 5:00 long and you feel it, but I'm not tired of it by the end at all. Guess I'm just a sucker for the sensual Jessie :smitten:

8. Step Into My Life - this one is so monumental, so great, it's very dramatic and feels like a soundtrack song, but my only issue is that it reaches the chorus too fast (around 0:30 mark). It's the shortest song on the album (3:39) and it definitely deserves more room to build up before the climax. The bridge merges with the final chorus/hook in an outro taking 1/3 of the song. Either way it's still a highlight to me.

9. Read My Lips - for some reason Read My Lips feels like a title track to me (it might or might not be just me infinitely stanning Sophie's gorgeous debut album, WYP? serves as its more mature sister), a centerpiece of the record that sums it up very well while being more low key, especially compared to the previous song. A bit quirky in the chorus with a juicy sound of Jessie blowing some real kisses :-* 4:03

10. Mirage (Don’t Stop) - grew on me over time, but it still might be a least fave from the record. I love the verses, but the hook is a bit annoying to me. I wish Overtime would be on the record instead of it (though best case, along).

11. The Kill - as the title suggest it's the darkest sounding track on the album, but it lightens up a bit in the chorus with some nostalgic vibe. It perfectly executes what bothered me on SIML, the build up is long and intense, we only reach the climax as the end. I can totally see it being a standout to many. 4:38

12. Remember Where You Are - her most beautiful song in forever, God I'm obsessed, it's an odyssey to the whole album, perfect closer and an outro as it's the longest track (5:35). Rich in every aspect, delicious, melodic choiry vocals, monumental instrumentation, beautiful lyrics, a full journey. If someone somehow cries because of the lack of ballads on the record, this track sould solely make up to it. An absolute highlight.

I've been told I suck at these mini reviews, but it's the most I can do to hype y'all a bit. It IS her best album and I will need some long solid listens in the upcoming months, cause the battle between WYP and Future Nostalgia for AOTY 2020 will be strong :fan: 

Thank you for the rich descriptions :jonny5: it truly sounds like one hell of an album, and I love that it's lengthy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackoutZone

• Robi

• theweekend

• ThehushSound

57 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Ok I will do a little tracks descriptions thing, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be tragically inaccurate :mandown:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Spotlight - I'm a bit conflicted with the album version as the single one was already perfect and this seems overdone. From the very beginning the orchestration seems more intense, the whole thing is 5:33 as various parts of the track get repeated more than in the single edit. In some places there is additional vocal layering of different parts being put together like a mashup and it just doesn't really work for me. It's either not completely polished or I'm too used to the single cut.

2. What's Your Pleasure? - I'm feeling very sexual :gaycat2: Contratry to her sensual whispery vocals the track is upbeat, the instrumentation is pumping and features some... distorted electric guitar? Harmonica? Wind instruments? Not sure as it's not directly in your face, but it's surely a noticaable detail that makes the song for me. The chorus is so HOT - Come on now push, press, more, less. Here together, what's your pleasure? :flame: 4:41

3. Ooh La La - while in the previous track the electric guitars were just an addition, here they totally build the song. It starts with a sample of busy traffic sounds, I'm imagining myself sitting by the window of a NY apartment in late evening :alexz3: I love the heavier bassline and infinite playful tweaks, spins of electric guiatrs through the song. It just goes on and on and each new part seems to have something new than the previous one. I can barely distinguish the chorus as the track is a one huge progression. Her vocal performance on this one is also sharp, fast, it all makes the song to not be very melodic or catchy, but it stands out because of that. 3:51

4. Soul Control - one of the tracks that has to grow on me, it has some of the elements I pointed out in Ooh La La, but not as perfectly executed. The post chorus is great though. 4:02

5. Save A Kiss - this is a serve, another Spotlight/Imagine It Was Us of the album? :gaycat5: Dance pop banger with disco elements aka gorgeous strings complimenting the rest. 4:02

7. In Your Eyes - Adore You started the more subtle, mid tempo moment of the album which continues here. Rich vocal layering and monumental strings make the song. It's 5:00 long and you feel it, but I'm not tired of it by the end at all. Guess I'm just a sucker for the sensual Jessie :smitten:

8. Step Into My Life - this one is so monumental, so great, it's very dramatic and feels like a soundtrack song, but my only issue is that it reaches the chorus too fast (around 0:30 mark). It's the shortest song on the album (3:39) and it definitely deserves more room to build up before the climax. The bridge merges with the final chorus/hook in an outro taking 1/3 of the song. Either way it's still a highlight to me.

9. Read My Lips - for some reason Read My Lips feels like a title track to me (it might or might not be just me infinitely stanning Sophie's gorgeous debut album, WYP? serves as its more mature sister), a centerpiece of the record that sums it up very well while being more low key, especially compared to the previous song. A bit quirky in the chorus with a juicy sound of Jessie blowing some real kisses :-* 4:03

10. Mirage (Don’t Stop) - grew on me over time, but it still might be a least fave from the record. I love the verses, but the hook is a bit annoying to me. I wish Overtime would be on the record instead of it (though best case, along).

11. The Kill - as the title suggest it's the darkest sounding track on the album, but it lightens up a bit in the chorus with some nostalgic vibe. It perfectly executes what bothered me on SIML, the build up is long and intense, we only reach the climax as the end. I can totally see it being a standout to many. 4:38

12. Remember Where You Are - her most beautiful song in forever, God I'm obsessed, it's an odyssey to the whole album, perfect closer and an outro as it's the longest track (5:35). Rich in every aspect, delicious, melodic choiry vocals, monumental instrumentation, beautiful lyrics, a full journey. If someone somehow cries because of the lack of ballads on the record, this track sould solely make up to it. An absolute highlight.

I've been told I suck at these mini reviews, but it's the most I can do to hype y'all a bit. It IS her best album and I will need some long solid listens in the upcoming months, cause the battle between WYP and Future Nostalgia for AOTY 2020 will be strong :fan: 

:jonny: thank you for the review. AOTY confirmed :gaycat5:

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

Reveal hidden contents

i- the spotlight album version sounds scary :dancehall: i hope its great tho since midnight album version >>>>>> single version imo

the amount of 4 minutes songs tho :jonny: this is gonna be an hour long wHEW i'm so readyyy

BlackoutZone
2 minutes ago, thecptz said:

i- the spotlight album version sounds scary :dancehall: i hope its great tho since midnight album version >>>>>> single version imo

the amount of 4 minutes songs tho :jonny: this is gonna be an hour long wHEW i'm so readyyy

I mean it's not bad, but I don't see anyone preferring it as it seems more forced than naturally complementary like Midnight.
But yeah the album is 55 minutes long :katie2:A literal journey

2 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

I mean it's not bad, but I don't see anyone preferring it as it seems more forced than naturally complementary like Midnight.
But yeah the album is 55 minutes long :katie2:A literal journey

thanks for the review tho :heart2: i love your DSN and physical description and think its spot on so i'm so excited for WYP

also can you give us some of the lyrics from the album too please? :emofish:

BlackoutZone
2 minutes ago, thecptz said:

thanks for the review tho :heart2: i love your DSN and physical description and think its spot on so i'm so excited for WYP

also can you give us some of the lyrics from the album too please? :emofish:

The lyrics on on WYP? don't play as much of a role as on Glasshouse imo, but there are some moments I really love:

Spoiler

In Your Eyes:

Cause I can hardly breathe, I'm feeling like
I wanna be free of fearing this pleasure and the pain
But it never goes away
Cause it's harder to see when you're giving me
Every look at me, I live again
Don't wanna be safe, but what I'm trying to say is that
It feels like
We've been dancing to the summer of our lives
And when you're here, I leave the world behind
But I'm not trying to fight it
I just keep on dancing in your eyes
In your eyes

Save A Kiss: 
Save a kiss from me tonight
Save the thought of me tonight
Promise you, it won't be long
Just save a little bit of your loving baby
Save a little bit of your love
Save it, save it, save it
Lock it up and keep it with you baby

Remember Where You Are - best track lyrically, made me feel homesick of a place I've never been to

Every day you get up and look out of the window, take a
Breath of morning air and listen to the people out there

The heart of the city is on fire
Sun gonna rise, the highs are gonna fall

Everything is different in my arms

So darling, remember
Remember where you are

Though it's so hard to decipher some words as most of the songs have lots of vocal layering :mandown: 

11 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

The lyrics on on WYP? don't play as much of a role as on Glasshouse imo, but there are some moments I really love:

Reveal hidden contents

In Your Eyes:

Cause I can hardly breathe, I'm feeling like
I wanna be free of fearing this pleasure and the pain
But it never goes away
Cause it's harder to see when you're giving me
Every look at me, I live again
Don't wanna be safe, but what I'm trying to say is that
It feels like
We've been dancing to the summer of our lives
And when you're here, I leave the world behind
But I'm not trying to fight it
I just keep on dancing in your eyes
In your eyes

Save A Kiss: 
Save a kiss from me tonight
Save the thought of me tonight
Promise you, it won't be long
Just save a little bit of your loving baby
Save a little bit of your love
Save it, save it, save it
Lock it up and keep it with you baby

Remember Where You Are - best track lyrically, made me feel homesick of a place I've never been to

Every day you get up and look out of the window, take a
Breath of morning air and listen to the people out there

The heart of the city is on fire
Sun gonna rise, the highs are gonna fall

Everything is different in my arms

So darling, remember
Remember where you are

Though it's so hard to decipher some words as most of the songs have lots of vocal layering :mandown: 

wow remember where you are is gonna be a very beautiful song huh :weeps:

thanks a lot!

spotlight is a career highlight. it sounds so lush, so flawlessly crafted and her smooth vocals. :jonny6:

Thanks for the descriptions! 

Sounds like I'll love 'In Your Eyes' :smitten:

Still hope there's a bonus track/deluxe version. Some of her best tracks imo are the leftovers! 

thedamnking

I'm still mad at Overtime being scrapped from the album, specially cause it fits perfectly the sound of it so far, I really hope she changes her mind and decide to include it on the tracklist until the album release

it's on my birthday omg

Wonder Woman 2 theatrical release, now Jessie Ware's new album

I will be fed on my birthday :jonny4:

5 minutes ago, Madame X said:

Holy **** can you believe it’s been 8 years since her last album?  I am ready!

ff you are wrong for this

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

I’m not sure if you’re being shady but Tough Love and Glasshouse says hello 

13 hours ago, Madame X said:

Tough Love, Cruel, Want Your Feeling, Sweetest Song, All On You, Midnight, Your Domino and Love To Love all say hi :coffee: