• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navyofbadgals

• Remmy

• potent

• Legend E

SASAMI :clap3: pre-release payola worked I see :fan: tuna, CILY, Blood and IGOR, whew all those serves

fff I wasn't gonna listen to Songs For You either but it was a nice surprised

0YlqORO.gif

III, Leon and Heard It In A Past Life are all cute :flower: Sasami was meh, the Mitski drag... karma will come back around and Rih won't release for another year x

tu,n and WWAFAWDWG flawless, deserved top 10 :mandown: the fat lizzo rant outsold Lizzo's career tbh x

Mess at the TU.n write up, but love Songs For You & Banks' III :heart2:

#10 Solange - When I Get Home

Solange_-_When_I_Get_Home.png

Alternative R&B

Saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
Things I imagined
Things I imagined
Things I imagined
Saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
I saw things I imagined
Things I imagined
Things I imagined
Things I imagined

tumblr_inline_p34jg26nzT1qgcevw_540.gif

Spoiler

great follow up from ASATT, though that one is clearly superior. Like how this is a lot lighter and smoother than ASATT though. 

#9 Spellling - Mazy Fly

a2827815398_10.jpg?resize=697,697&ssl=1

Art Pop

The use of synths on this album is fantastic. It's such an atmospheric record with plenty of amazing tracks, with great lyrics and most of all great production. The mix of genres here along with Spellling's vocal delivery is incredible, making it one of the more unique and cool albums of the year. Especially love Hard To Please (Reprise), Haunted Water and Under The Sun. 

#8 Angèle - Brol La Suite

9200000122425199.jpg

Pop

The original version (Brol) was released in 2018, but I discovered Angèle this year and when a re-release came out I knew what to do :fan: . I think the songs from the original are superior to the re-release songs, but they're all amazing. Talking about sexism, jalousy, social media and more, Angèle is easily the best artist to emerge from Belgium in recent times. This fun pop album is smart and witty, but in its sounds it ranges from chill mid- and up-tempos creating one of the best pop albums of the year. Also love her videography so far, it'll be interesting where she takes her second era, but the first one was already amazing :clap3: 

#7 Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs

jessica%20pratt_quiet%20signs.jpg

Folk

Pitchfork described this record as daydreams, and honestly it captures the album perfectly. This laid back album is easily one of the most beautiful albums of the year, where the beauty lies in it's subtleties and minimalism. 

#6 Caroline Polachek - PANG 

Caroline_Polachek_-_Pang.png

Art Pop

Whilst the gheys are still jizzing over Charli's recent mediocre output (besides a certain incredible single) or over Carly's consistently mediocre output (sue me), this right here is much more worthy of the label of 'future of pop'. There are some PC music influences here (like with Charli), but they are a lot more subtle and refined. From 80s pop sounds, to electropop sounds. Such a fun album, that doesn't take itself too seriously, though also still does. It's easily Polachek's best album (when compared to her other stuff with Chairlift). 

#5 Stella Donnelly - Beware of The Dogs

Beware_of_the_Dogs_Stella_Donnelly.jpg

Indie Pop

Such a solid debut album. Plenty of fun tracks, but also tracks that in a way capture male toxicity and rape culture in an almost witty way, in a way underlining the stupidity of people who defend rape and more. It's an incredible indie pop album from an artist who also has yet to show her full potential, it'll be interesting to see where she goes from here, but with the charm and honesty of her first album, it's at the very least a bright future in terms of quality for Stella. 

#4 FKA Twigs - MAGDALENE

FKATwigs_Magdalene.png

Art Pop

When ranking my favorite albums of this decade, the hardest for me was ranking #4-2 and in reality they are nearly tied. In fact the whole top 4 is miles ahead of the rest of my list, beginning here with FKA Twigs. On MAGDALENE, Twigs pours in her pain in what is both her more accessible date to date, but in a way also her most ambitious. It's a stunning album that feels like an instant classic. From it's powerful Home With You, to its lead single (which is easily one of the best tracks of the decade), to the mysterious and atmospheric Fallen Alien. Even tracks like Holy Terrain, which were just ok to me, light up when listening to the album as a whole. 

#3 Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

Angel_Olsen_-_All_Mirrors.png

Chamber Pop

All Mirrors is incredibly grande and epic, much more than its predecessors. It's hard to compare them, because whilst the lyricism might've been a tiny bit better on previous albums, the production on this one is easily better than its predecessors. The use of orchestral sounds, easily brings the emotion on this album to new levels. Where on Lark you're almost taken on a rollercoaster, and its production easily takes you away, it's a brutally honest and intimate track. On Chance, she delivers one of the most stunning tracks of the year. It's overwhelming on its first few listens, but in the best way possible. An incredible album

i think we all know your #1 and #2 !!

#2 Lana Del Rey - Norman ****ing Rockwell!

Lana_Del_Rey_-_Norman_Fucking_Rockwell.png

Pop

Quite the year for Lana, where she undoubtedly released her most acclaimed album to date. While it is true to an extent that critics have been unnecessarily hard on her the majority of the decade, before realizing her brilliance, it is also true that this is easily her best album to date. Lana, the voice of a generation and easily the most influential artist to debut this decade (despite only having one hit era). It already started last year with tracks like MAC and VB that capture emotions and feelings of nostalgia in such an amazing way. The themes on NFR! aren't new to Lana, but on NFR! they are explored in the best way to date. New tracks that were released this year showed that last year's excellent singles weren't a fluke. From its title track to her best track to date (The Greatest), to the stuttering Bartender, to Cinnamon Girl and so on. This album is a classic in every way possible, and it's amazing to see the media and the Recording Academy acknowledge this. 

and my AOTY is

#1 Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising

Titanic_Rising.jpg

Chamber Pop

everybody who somewhat knows me on here, could've seen this one coming from miles away. I wasn't really super aware of Weyes Blood before 2019, in hindsight I loved a track she did with Perfume Genius, but other than that I wasn't following her at all unlike the rest of the top 4. Like many others, I completely fell in love with her pre-release singles (Andromeda, Everyday, Movies) which are easily some of the most stunning tracks of the decade, but the album as a whole was even better. It's the first time in years that a Rihanna album wasn't my most played, and with good reason. With over 1k plays, the album is still as fresh as ever. 

Opening up with A Lot's Gonna Change, Weyes opens up with an incredibly heartfelt song, that also beautifully captures the album. As the album incorporates sounds from the ~70s, it also makes it modern and looks towards the future. Acknowledging that things have changed and will change, for better or worse. Change and love songs are central to the album. It looks back at better times, in an ever changing world, hurt by both changes on a global scale (like global warming) to other things as trivial as finding love in this world. It's beautiful at every step of the way, and at times I was happy Rihanna didn't release an album, because there was really no way for her to top this. It's quickly become one of my favorite albums of all time with its beauty, and is easily my AOTY. It's both current in its themes, but also timeless.

Spoiler
On 12/23/2019 at 4:52 AM, Mark Rih said:

Oh wow my fave update so far

TUNA is too low :mandown:

Fine Line and WWAFA are great

Sucker Punch was lowkey a letdown for me but still cute 

Cuz I Love You has a few songs that I like

IGOR amazing we stan talent 

TUNA salad is not too low :mandown: maybe if areola released something that held up better this would've been a different conversation :mandown: 

On 12/23/2019 at 5:05 AM, Kiss It Better said:

yes at Yuna :clap3:Chapters outsold but this is also solid project

Billie, Harry, Ariana, Tyler :clap3:

agreed at Lizzo :fan:

I like it more than Chapters :mandown: 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:37 AM, geodancefreak said:

FINE LINE and WWAFAWDWG :party:

they snapped

On 12/23/2019 at 10:22 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Fine Line has some cute moments, but I don't really like it overall

Billie and Ariana are a bit low :'( both served this year :clap3: 

Rouge :eek: ugh, Yuna needs more attention :'( 

Yuna really does :clap3: 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, Pink Matter said:

Billie, Ari, and Lizzo :clap3: 

IGOR was nice but I didn't play it all that much.  The Kelsey Lu cover looks interesting so I'm downloading that one :eek: 

you should! I think you;ll like it

On 12/23/2019 at 8:46 PM, Jet said:

Lizzo :clap3: she may be annoying but she delivers the bops

tea, if she keeps delivering I'm fine with her :clap3:

On 12/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, potent said:

Harry's album seems good so far, but needs more time to grow on me.

WWAFA :clap3:

Sigrid really proves herself as a great pop artist on Sucker Punch :clap3:

Cuz I Love You is great, even if her personality might be over the top it works well with these songs :jamming:

Yeah her personality really shines through on CILY

On 12/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Remmy said:

thank u, next :eddie: "it lacks the highs or the replay value" Period! Cuz I Love You and Sucker Punch :sats: Fine Line + WWAFA,WDWG? :date: :date: :date: #20 is a nice spot for Harry this early on.

honestly don't think I would place harry much higher :mandown: he did cute though

On 12/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, Legend E said:

Fine Line and Cuz I Love You :clap3: 

I enjoy Kelsey Lu too :thing: 

cool :thing: 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:34 PM, Lazuli said:

tu,n, sucker punch and cuz i love u are full of BOPS 

yup yup yup

On 12/24/2019 at 2:22 AM, kiiwii said:

fine line, sucker punch & thank u, next are the one's i mostly enjoyed. :jamming:

yup yup yup [2]

On 12/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, World Eater said:

SASAMI :clap3: pre-release payola worked I see :fan: tuna, CILY, Blood and IGOR, whew all those serves

they did what they had to do 

On 12/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, icy said:

omg x 100pre u better stan

RWLeZU2.gif

yup queen

On 12/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, K$Ellie said:

fff I wasn't gonna listen to Songs For You either but it was a nice surprised

0YlqORO.gif

III, Leon and Heard It In A Past Life are all cute :flower: Sasami was meh, the Mitski drag... karma will come back around and Rih won't release for another year x

tu,n and WWAFAWDWG flawless, deserved top 10 :mandown: the fat lizzo rant outsold Lizzo's career tbh x

that wasn't a mitski drag, it was a praise

On 12/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, KasioKas said:

Mess at the TU.n write up, but love Songs For You & Banks' III :heart2:

yup yup yup

45 minutes ago, thecptz said:

i think we all know your #1 and #2 !!

we do?

finally updated! busy times

53 minutes ago, thecptz said:

AHHH NFR :clap3:

stan bby z

I suppose there has to be at least one good album in there somewhere, right? 

so with that hope in mind, taste :clap3: 

Navyofbadgals

now join mafia

• ATRL Moderator

Pang - I need to get more into her

NFR - I didn't really enjoy it that much

Titanic Rising's singles are okay, especially Movies.

Some of these aren't really my style despite appreciating them, but I did love NFR and Magdalene (actually just listened to this one recently, but I loved the singles and it definitely flowed well as a cohesive product)

Wig at that top 10! Some fan faves like Weyes, twigs, Angel, Caroline. Lana at #2 :clap3: Gonna download the Mazy Fly album as it looks v interesting!

Pang :smitten: Kiii yes at the Charli shade, but NO at the Carly shade. Pick the right battles! All Mirrors is lovely, yup the orchestra alone is absolutely stunning. NFR and Titanic Rising... I mean, I enjoy parts of them. :mandown: I feel like they're albums you have to be in the mood for and maybe I've just never been in that mood.

you're top 10 :jonny4: my wig :jonny4: When I Get Home is such a grower :alexz:

Magdalene, PANG and NFR :jonny4: whew

All Mirrors is Angel's best, I think :clap3: 

nice update

Well that top 10 is quite the serve. So nice to see someone else appreciates Jessica.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.