TheWayWeWere's Best of 2019 | PG.13 - TOP 3 REVEALED

TheWayWeWere

welp, since ATRL being messy during BOs as always :fan: I'm planned to do few double updates to keep this countdown in shedule

also, a big congratulations to legend Mimi breaking another bunch of records this week :jonny4: and ATRL serving  Emancipation of Mimi sized comeback :clap3: 

dqhxDt8.png

album #26 - Julia Michaels, Inner Monologue, Pt. 1
"I just wanna be ****ing happy"

Welp, that's a lot higher than I expected :skull: Nice EP, with no fillers, her best project so far. Too bad she still can't release full-lenght album.  
some favorites: Happy, Deep, Anxiety

T8Kex14.png

single #26 - Caroline Polachek, So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings
"You're the only one who knows me"

This was the first song I heard from her and WHEW :jonny4: the slayage! It's so catchy and interesting on the same time, like you just can't stop looking at her performing it in the music vid. This is the pop music, that should slay the charts right now.  

OmPUA9u.png

album #25 - P!nk, Hurts 2B Human
"I'm just scared to be happy"

Beautiful Trauma era was already a bit messy, but she still served some great tunes and some of her best songs. But this one... I mean, there's no photoshoot to support this album :deadbanana2:  only 1 great video with 3 half-assed attempts, mediocre performances and everything. And all of this from one of the biggest pop girls. And on top of that album is incredibly bland and boring. Like, it feels like she's not even tries with this one :skull:
some favorites: Happy, Walk Me Home, Hurts 2B Human, Love Me Anyway

B5NNRJx.png

single #25 - Rita Ora & Kygo, Carry On
"I miss your footprints next to mine"

Fashion mogul Rita Ora slays once again. Like who is a other than her can slay with soundtrack to some messy Pikatchu movie? :jonny4: Great, addictive pop track, that just can't leave you indifferent.

Irz5WEi.png

album #24 - Sheryl Crow, Threads
"This story of everything: living, dying, lying, denial"

I finally get into Sheryl's music not so long ago and now she announces retirement and this is her final album :cries: Well, at least she decided to go with pride! Fulfilled with top-billing artists, album shows her doing country, pop and alternative records here and there. Greatly crafted, strong record from one of my favorite artists ever.
some favorites: Tell Me When It’s Over, Wouldn’t Want to Be like You, Live Wire, Story of Everything

RnRKWfM.png

single #24 - Katy Perry, Never Really Over
"Just because it's over doesn't mean it's really over"

After misstep that was Witness (even tho she still was able to serve some pop realness on this), Katy finally back on track with her music this year. All the four singles she released this year were good (even Small Talk was cute :eli: ), but this one just takes cherry on top. Top-notch production, catchy melody, addictive lyrics :jonny4: Ugh, if only it was promoted more. Like just look at this bathroom acoustic performance - it's everything :clap3: I really hopes she would comeback with album next year.

KaX5zf5.png

bnydnUf.png

album #23 - Yuna, Rouge
"Our love is broken, my heart is frozen"

Yuna remains one of the most underrated artists ever. She's incredibly talented singer-songwriters, who just released her 4th and the best to date album. Album is full of pop, disco-pop, r&b and even world music influences - amazing work from her. Very beautiful and intimate record. 

some favorites: Does She, Forevermore, (Not) The Love of My Life, Castaway

VqVBJaX.png

single #23 - Zedd & Katy Perry, 365
"I want you to be the one to stay"

Well, Katy really steps in 2019 with some pop perfection bops, and this was the first one. Great production, catchy melody and memorable lyrics, still can't believe how this flopped :'(

7tTt6CC.png

album #22 - Луна, Транс
"Почему влюбленность проходит и опять приходит тоска?"

Welp, I feel like no one knows here on atrl, but bitch provides russian music scene with the best electronic pop music, and after misstep last year with Заколдованные сны, she finally backs on track with that flawless record. Haunting, beautiful, enchanting dreamy electro pop numbers concludes in this record.

some favorites: Сиреневый рай, Пальмира, Золотые лепестки, Быть осторожной

IquyAzF.png

single #22 - Rita Ora, Only Want You 
"I don't wanna wear another mini dress to impress"

This was my favorite track out of Phoenix from the beginning, and I was so happy this was released as single. Yeah, rent-a-rapper version was meh, but album version still slays! One of the best pop production over the years. Rita just can't do wrong :jonny:

2QNNKc4.png

album #21 - Madonna, Madame X
"We need to wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up"

I was one of the fewest who really likes Rebel Heart, but I still was very excited about this album - who wouldn't love something different from generic pop from Madge. But this album turns to be a bit messy. Yeah, there's some pretty interesting melodies, some interesting collabs, but overall its pretty incohesive and feels uninspired and a bit ..robotic. I love Mirwais, he created some of her best works (I see you, American Life). But this is basically another William Orbit situation, just not as tragic and bad as MDNA. Still good point for her trying to experiment with her sound. 

some favorites: God Control, Killers Who Are Partying, Extreme Occident, I Rise

1TR31VL.png

single #21 - Ariana Grande & Social House, Boyfriend 
"I'm a mother****in' train wreck"

I feel like everyone dragged this track to death, but I liked it. It was a great grower, it's very nice, heartwarming track with some cheesy lyrics and production. Not on the level of TUN, but still cute addition to era.

XqjTgRp.png

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWayWeWere

• Legend E

• Remmy

• Jet

Inner Monologue is very cute 

Carry On,  NRO,  365,  Only Want You and Boyfriend are really good too :clap3:

Carry On and 365 are cute, nothing too epic though.

Not here for Never Really Over though :eli:

Madame X was messy for sure, but I liked the concept behind it and overall I think she pulled it off pretty well.

• ATRL Moderator

365 :jonny4:

Never Really Over is great (even though it's overrated on ATRL).

Hurts 2B Human is far of being P!nk's best album but I enjoyed it more than Beautiful Trauma. It has more variety imo :giraffe:

I liked 365 but surprised it's so high. Boyfirend :clap3:

Clarity :clap3:

Carry On, Never Really Over, 365, Only Want You, Boyfriend

Lovin' all the Rita & Katy bops! :clap3::alexz:

• ATRL Moderator

so hot is such a bop. same with nro 
yuna rouge was so cute. didn't like the features tho
madame x shook

Yes at the Beautiful Trauma praise :gaycat2: Hurts 2B Human is basically a watered down sequel but it seems I still enjoyed it more than most. Your highlight picks are solid. boyfriend :eddie: 365 :jamming: Never Really Over + SHYHMF, those are the bops :sats: :sats: :sats:

SHYHMF was the first Caroline song you heard? :eek: Listen to Chairlift's discography RIGHT NOW! Especially Moth & Something.

Never Really Over, yes Katy yes actually releasing a good song and then releasing shittier songs again.

Haven't seen Yuna's album on many lists! Definitely underrated - even if I preferred Chapters MUCH more. 

religion is such a bop :katie2: Lover was okay but a huge step up from the first 2 singles :-*

Clarity has some bops but I definitely prefer TOTL :gaycat4: I must be the only person who doesn't use SHYHMF :fan:

The other singles were far better imo :keir: Never Really Over and 365 are both cute :jamming: I hate Only Want You tho x

Your first 3 faves from Madame X :jonny4: I Rise is abhorrent but I'll let that slide :-* Boyfriend is cute tu,n 2.0 

Inner Monologue and that P!nk album were really bad imo sorry! The rest snapped tho, Katy really came hard this year and i'm mad GP sleeps on her now :weeps: 

Edited by BlackoutZone

10 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Listen to Chairlift's discography RIGHT NOW! Especially Moth & Something.

I just saw on Wiki, that Caroline is 34 y.o :deadbanana2: WTF I was sure she's in her 20s :deadbanana2:

Katy and Rita having 2 entries this update, legends :clap3:Only Want You deserved to be a cute UK hit

thanks for comments, as always :party:

qLbPR9S.png

album #20 - Emeli Sande, REAL LIFE
"We all love, we all pray, we all make some mistakes"
Long-awaited studio effort from Emeli finally arrives and its much better than I expected. To be honest, she ruined this era by single choices, album is actually very soulful, uplifting and beautiful piece of work. It's no better than LLTA, but very solid and underrated record. 
some favorites: You Are Not Alone, Human, Extraordinary Being, Same Old Feeling

zDo4Iv2.png

single #20 - Lana Del Rey, Doin' Time
"I love her so bad, but she treats me like ****"
I don't really like this song when it was released, but Lana just proves herself as definition of grower, along with music video and album release, I finally see the light and loved this song to death. It's so catchy and ear-candy, literally puts you on some sunny beach and relaxes you. And it's ****ing cover! She just can't do something wrong :cries:

rZHV5BY.png

album #19 - Carly Rae Jepsen, Dedicated
"Am I bad for you?"
Welp, Carly really takes my heart with Emotion slayage, so expectations for Dedicated were high. Ending product is good, beautifully written and produced album full of heartbreak-anthems with 80s sound. We love that, we appreciate that, but ..like half of the tracks sounds basically Emotion: Side C :skull: It's not a bad thing, but I kinda feel like she could've done so much more with this one. Still, she was able to provide us with some great gems, you would like to play in every mood.
some favorites: Want You in My Room, The Sound, Automatically in Love, Real Love

R7p6kAg.png

single #19 - Tove Lo & Kylie Minogue, Really Don't Like U
"Hard to be fair to you when I got my heart broke"
Two one of my favorite pop artists collaborate - isn't is a miracle :jonny: Great, fun pop anthem with some fun cheesy lyrics, definition of gay pop anthem :alexz:

1tqzMja.png

album #18 - Betty Who, Betty
"If I'm not the one, good luck finding something better"
Okay, I need to appreciate Betty, since she just keeps getting better and better with every record. From naive label puppet on first album, to sexy woman on second and now grown confident woman on this one. Great record, that showcases all genres Betty's good at: bubblegum pop, dream pop, 80s disco inspired jams and more :clap3:
some favorites: Marry Me, Language, The One, Whisper

ccOZtMn.png

single #18 - Clean Bandit & Marina, Baby
"The beat goes on and I close my eyes"
Another hated on ATRL track :skull: I mean, yeah, it's very generic, not masterpiece and all and all, but this is a massive bop :jonny: I literally had this song in my playlist for such a long time, very summerish bawp, that was supported with great vid also. 

8jzenwj.png

r2qvYmd.png

album #17 - Solange, When I Get Home
"Black faith still can't be washed away"
Solange IS one of the most talented artists alive. I will stand that. And with her new album she just proves this again. Even tho this record is not so accessible as ASAT or True, its more compelling and dealing with many music experiments, its still such a grower - thanks to her visual and absolutely amazing live performances. If you didn't see her live (like me before this year) - just give her a try, she deserves so many more praise.
some favorites: Stay Flo, Way to the Show, Binz, Sound of Rain

5pYw6Qf.png

single #17 - BANKS, Gimme
"You can call me that bitch"
Banks coming back with more feminitive and sexy side of her :clap3: Sensual, sexy and still hard-punching gem was amazing lead for III. 

NxcUUaP.png

album #16 - Shura, forevher
"A virgin had a baby, it’s crazy"
Shura finally arrives with follow-up to her masterpiece debut. Although new album not reaches highs of Nothing's Real, it's great on its own. Cohesive, strong record with bunch of electropop soulful grooves, inspired by 80s music with some indie ballads here and there. Very breezy, summerish, ecstatic work.
some favorites: Side Effects, Skyline Be Mine, Forever, Control

storQlr.png

single #16 - Луна, Дельфины
"А твои дельфины хотят в мое море"
Welp, I'm still trying to promote russian queen of alt-pop :fan: Heavenly electro-dreamy-pop break-up anthem slayed me this year and remains probably one of my favorite tracks by her. 

GXLgdub.png

album #15 - Caroline Polachek, PANG
"How far can you fall when you're already down?"
One of the many reasons, why I love ATRL - because sometimes it really helps you discover some new artists. This year' biggest discovery was Caroline. Even tho, I already heard her on Charli's Pop 2, she never really catches my attention before. This flawless debut catches you with some breathestopping beauty of tracks, smart pop, experimental vocalizers and many more. 
some favorites: Door, Hit Me Where It Hurts, Ocean of Tears, Caroline Shut Up

3a67P9a.png

single #15 - Charli XCX ft. Lizzo, Blame It On Your Love
"I don't know what's wrong with this girl, Charli, she crazy"
I know this track was pretty much hated on here, and I understand why. Track 10 slays me too, amazing closer and one of her all-time bests. But I already heard BIOYL original tropical-pop inspired version, and it was a fun listen already. Final track with fun and cheesy addition by Lizzo and some great pop overproduction still punches you hard. It's basic and everything, but it's catchy as hell.

tebiIPX.png

Ugh so many great songs & albums on the list :jonny5:

And also i forgot that Emili Sande released an album this year :dies:

Dedicated is a cute girl but WIGH and Pang :clap3:Caroline really exceeded my expectations this year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.