HONESTLY, 2019. - Singles (20-1) + Albums (10-1)

TRF.

a0609008604_16.jpg

STREAM

#30.

La Bruja de Texcoco

De brujas, peteneras y chachalacas

Genre: Mexican Folk Music, Avant-Folk

Son Jarocho, Chamber Folk, Son Huasteco, Son Istmeño, Field Recordings

De brujas, peteneras y chachalacas, Mexican musician La Bruja de Texcoco's debut album, is a wonderful spiritual experience and reflection on gender identity, love, tradition and hardship, than can be as beautiful as it challenging, but every single second is worth it.

Highlights: "Té de malvón", "Laabe Muxhe", "Nahual Papalotl"

You'll like it if you like: Natalia Lafourcade, Chavela Vargas, Phil Elverum

a3253079313_16.jpg

STREAM

#29.

Félicia Atkinson

The Flower and the Vessel

Genre: Ambient, Electroacoustic, Spoken Word

Drone, Musique concréte, Field Recordings, Dark Ambient

French experimental composer Félicia Atkinson developed The Flower and the Vessel during her pregnancy, far away from home - but it's not a record about pregnancy, but about the fear and anxiety that creeped on her during those moments. That absolutely is shown in the record's terrorific atmosphere, with her ASMR-inducing poetry pushing it to the fullest.

Highlights: "Moderato Cantabile", "You Have to Have Eyes", "Linguistics of Atoms", "Joan", "Des Pierres" (feat. Stephen O'Malley)

You'll like it if you like: Graham Lambkin, Puce Mary, Holly Herndon

GHOSTEEN_PACKSHOT_01.jpg

STREAM

#28.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Ghosteen

Genre: Ambient Pop, Chamber Pop

Ambient, New Age, Spoken Word, Art Pop

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' previous album, Skeleton Tree, reckoned with the death of Cave's son in a tragic and minimal yet grandiose way. Ghosteen, their most recent record, is not exactly past that horrific event - but in some way feels like a lighter, more ethereal, slightly optimistic way to take on grief, even if it doesn't make it any less heart-wrenching regardless.

Highlights: "Spinning Song", "Bright Horses", "Night Raid", "Ghosteen Speaks", "Ghosteen", "Hollywood"

You'll like it if you like: Mark Hollis, Mount Eerie, David Sylvian

a3622966212_16.jpg

STREAM

#27.

Angel Olsen

All Mirrors

Genre: Art Pop, Chamber Pop

Baroque Pop, Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Ethereal Wave

Angel Olsen's previous works were all too based around country, folk music and indie rock's more "raw" elements, all pushed through her excellent songwriting. Her most recent album All Mirrors is the exact opposite, save for the quality songwriting. While guitars are present on the album, the record is most carried by grandiose strings and lush synths which give it a larger-than-life, maximalist approach that Olsen's music does really well with.

Highlights: "Lark", "All Mirrors", "Too Easy", "New Love Cassette", "What It Is", "Impasse", "Chance"

You'll like it if you like: Sharon Van Etten, Zola Jesus, Julia Holter

little-simz-grey-area-1-1068x1068.jpeg

STREAM

#26.

Little Simz

Grey Area

Genre: UK Hip Hop, Conscious Hip Hop

Jazz Rap, Neo-Soul, Hardcore Hip Hop

Islington, London rapper Little Simz had always been full of talent, but never had this talent been more on this display than on Grey Area. A lush, organic and musically diverse record that tackles on both personal struggles and the struggles of British youth - especially Black British people, it truly is a demonstration of everything she's capable of.

Highlights: "Offence", "Boss", "Selfish" (feat. CleoSol), "Venom", "101 FM", "Flowers" (feat. Michael Kiwanuka)

You'll like it if you like: The Streets, Kendrick Lamar, Noname

Resultado de imagen para carly rae jepsen dedicated

STREAM

#25.

Carly Rae Jepsen

Dedicated

Genre: Dance-Pop, Synthpop

Synth Funk, Electropop, Electro-Disco, Contemporary R&B

E·MO·TION became a cult classic like very few pop albums ever have, so Canadian pop princess Carly Rae Jepsen had a lot to live up to. And in some way, Dedicated doesn't really bother with that. It's a record of its own, that feels both edgier and softer than its predecessor, less focused on sounding "retro", and more current. It's undoubtedly pop at its best.

Highlights: "Julien", "Now That I Found You", "No Drug Like Me", "Want You in My Room", "Happy Not Knowing", "Automatically in Love", "Real Love", "For Sure"

You'll like it if you like: Robyn, Kylie Minogue, Bleachers, CHVRCHES

a0159099236_16.jpg

STREAM

#24.

yeule

Serotonin II

Genre: Ambient Pop, Synthpop

Chillwave, Ambient, Glitch Pop, Dream Pop, Electropop

Singaporean singer and producer yeule's debut album Serotonin II is complex and weird, yet very dreamy and heavenly. It is the sound of dealing with real life while living in a post-Internet world as well as the overlap between those two, where synths and strange electronic beats give way to something you can somehow feel deep in your heart.

Highlights: "Poison Arrow", "Pixel Affection", "Pretty Bones", "Reverie", "Blue Butterfly", "Veil of Darkness"

You'll like it if you like: Grimes, Arca, Kelly Lee Owens

Resultado de imagen para no home record kim gordon

STREAM

#23.

Kim Gordon

No Home Record

Genre: Noise Rock, Post-Industrial

Experimental Rock, Synth Punk, Electro-Industrial, Minimal Synth

After being part of legendary noise rock band Sonic Youth, the idea of a Kim Gordon album seemed very appealing. However, probably no one would have expected her debut album, No Home Record, to sound like it does. It sounds fresh, current, and more experimental than ever, demonstrating Kim's endless creativity and willingness to have fun regardless of the good or bad moments that may occur in her life.

Highlights: "Sketch Artist", "Paprika Pony", "Murdered Out", "Cookie Butter", "Hungry Baby", "Get Your Life Back"

You'll like it if you like: Xiu Xiu, Sonic Youth, Black Dresses

Imagen

STREAM

#22.

Tinashe

Songs for You

Genre: Alternative R&B

Pop Rap, Trap, Synthpop, Art Pop

Songs for You comes after Tinashe's finally left her label, RCA. This being her first independent release since 2013, it truly has everything that made her debut album Aquarius and her best mixtapes so great. There are tracks that could get radio airplay if pushed properly or even go viral, as well as tracks that feel experimental and unique, and now that's there's no one holding her back, the possibilities are endless.

Highlights: "Life's Too Short", "Stormy Weather", "Save Room for Us", "Die a Little Bit" (feat. Ms. Banks), "Cash Race", "Link Up", "Know Better"

You'll like it if you like: Kelela, Playboi Carti, Ciara

a0092692252_16.jpg

STREAM

#21.

Triad God

Triad

Genre: Cloud Rap, Ambient

Spoken Word, Ambient Pop, Experimental Hip Hop, Alternative R&B

While not being abrasive or anything of the sort, Triad God's comeback album after 6 years, Triad, is not an easy album to digest by any means, essentially redefining the term “experimental hip hop” by mixing Cantonese mumble rap with ambient and new age sounds. It's strange, even kind of repulsive at some points, but one still wants to hit replay once its over, even if only to make sense of what you heard. And once you’re able to make sense, one starts to find its beauty. And there's a lot of it here.

Highlights: "Babe Don't Go", "So Pay La", "Gway Lo", "BDG", "Dill", "Gwan Ye Gong", "Chinese New Year"

You'll like it if you like: James Ferraro, Clouddead, Palmistry

Imagen

STREAM

#20.

Bad Bunny

x100pre

Genre: Trap, Pop Rap

Latin Rap, Alternative R&B, Reggaeton

Trap has become a big presence in Latin America, to the point where it's almost inescapable. But Bad Bunny proved that it's a genre that can be translated into an album rather well with x100pre. That being said, to name that record as a "trap" album exclusively is doing it a gigantic disservice, as there is a lot of genres present in it ranging from synthwave to Dominican dembow, and he excels at all of them. x100pre is a promising direction for Latin mainstream music, one it's exciting to see develop in real time.

Highlights: "Ni bien ni mal", "Caro", "Otra noche en Miami", "Solo de mí", "La Romana" (feat. El Alfa), "RNDLT", "Estamos bien"

You'll like it if you like: J Balvin, Future, Young Thug, Cazzu

Imagen

STREAM

#19.

Erika De Casier

Essentials

Genre: Contemporary R&B, Alternative R&B

Ambient Pop, Trip Hop, UK Bass

It's incredible how with all the Y2K fascination this past year has brought up, Erika De Casier's Essentials went largely under the radar for many people. While it is a record that is decidedly inspired by late 90's/early 00's R&B and pop music, the smooth, modern production gives it a nice twist, which is uplifted even more by Erika's sweet, angelic vocals and fantastic lyricism.

Highlights: "The Flow", "Good Time", "Little Bit", "Intimate", "Puppy Love", "What U Wanna Do?", "Space"

You'll like it if you like: Tirzah, Ashanti, Jessie Ware, Aaliyah, Tinashe

a0344252331_16.jpg

STREAM

#18.

Oli XL

Rogue Intruder, Soul Enhancer

Genre: UK Bass, IDM

2-Step, Weightless, Ambient, Dubstep

Swedish producer Oli XL's debut album is notably less aggressive than several of the works that can be found within the "deconstructed club" sub-genre - with a focus closer to mid-1990s IDM or even dubstep and grime. Going from clean and detailed production to the fact that there's a sort of cover of Beck's "Loser" or a to collaboration with Drain Gang member ECCO2K on "Hesitate", Rogue Intruder, Soul Enhancer is one of the most exciting albums within electronic music this year, and puts Oli XL as one of the most promising faces within it.

Highlights: "Cygnostic", "DnL", "Mimetic", "Flower Circuit", "Hesitate" (feat. Ecco2k), "Imposter", "Clumsy"

You'll like it if you like: Burial, Sky H1, Jam City, Boards of Canada

Imagen

STREAM

#17.

Megan Thee Stallion

Fever

Genre: Trap

Memphis Rap, Pop Rap, Hardcore Hip Hop

Fever, Megan Thee Stallion's second mixtape, takes the legacy of other rappers from the south like UGK or Trina, for their lyrics and flow full of security, sexuality and aggression. But the influence of the rap scene in Memphis, TN, is also noteworthy. Icons such as Project Pat or Juicy J from Three 6 Mafia contribute to this either with productions or features, and elevate its sound to something more unique within current rap music. This album shows that Megan is not only one of the most promising rappers today, but an artist on her own path too.

Highlights: "Hood Rat ****", "Pimpin", "Cash ****" (feat. DaBaby), "W.A.B.", "Best You Ever Had", "Simon Says" (feat. Juicy J), "Dance"

You'll like it if you like: UGK, Trina, City Girls, Gangsta Boo, Juicy J

a2827815398_16.jpg

STREAM

#16.

Spellling

Mazy Fly

Genre: Art Pop, Minimal Synth, Darkwave

Synthpop, Psychedelic Soul, Ethereal Wave, Hypnagogic Pop

As Spellling, California artist Tia Cabral makes an exquisite mix of genres as varied as synthpop, psychedelia, R&B or goth rock. And her debut under the Sacred Bones label, Mazy Fly, is proof. In this album, Cabral constructs stories that range from something as real as the transatlantic slave trade and its repercussionsto more fantastic ones like aliens who come to earth to listen to music, everything sounding coherent within the context of the album.

Highlights: "Haunted Water", "Hard to Please", "Golden Numbers", "Under the Sun", "Real Fun", "Hard to Please (Reprise)", "Falling Asleep"

You'll like it if you like: Zola Jesus, Abra, Kelsey Lu, Yves Tumor

a2113099691_16.jpg

STREAM

#15.

Mabe Fratti

Pies sobre la tierra

Genre: Art Pop, Ambient Pop

Drone, Progressive Electronic, Modern Classical

Listening to Mabe Fratti's Pies sobre la tierra for the first time on a bus, at night, while going to Paris was probably one of my most precious memories of 2019. And it's just fantastic, truly is a record that washes over you slowly, a wonderful record that is heavenly and completely alien. And hearing this kind of music coming from Latin artists just makes it the more exciting.

Highlights: "El Sol Sigue Ahí (El Sol Brilló - No Tenía Alternativa)", "Ignora", "Todo Lo Que Querías Saber", "Dirección"

You'll like it if you like: Julianna Barwick, Julia Holter, Arthur Russell

a1356483119_16.jpg

STREAM

#14.

Jenny Hval

The Practice of Love

Genre: Art Pop, Synthpop

Ambient Pop, Spoken Word, Ambient Trance

Coming from records as challenging and experimental as Blood Bitch or The Long Sleep, it's weird that Jenny Hval would take a more pop route, yet The Practice of Love seems to be largely based on synthpop music, with heavy influence from 90's trance and techno beats. Yet it does have it's own experimentalism, via contributions by Félicia Atkinson or Laura Jean, and it's constant themes of feminism, childlessness and loss of identity. It's a pop record, sure, but more than anything it's a Jenny Hval one.

Highlights: "High Alice", "Accident", "Ashes to Ashes", "Thumbsucker"

You'll like it if you like: Laurie Anderson, Robyn, The Knife

a2743601976_16.jpg

STREAM

#13.

black midi

Schlagenheim

Genre: Noise Rock, Experimental Rock, Math Rock

No Wave, Post-Punk, Post-Hardcore

The debut album of the English band black midi, Schlagenheim, avoids the excess and heaviness of much of the progressive rock or modern math rock. It is a concise album that, although it has a very clear and direct style, manages to be varied in execution, maintaining an excellent quality throughout its duration. It shows all the potential of a new band with a thirst for innovation and experimentation, something that is essential nowadays.

Highlights: "953", "Speedway", "Near DT, MI", "Western", "bmbmbm", "Ducter"

You'll like it if you like: Lightning Bolt, Battles, Pere Ubu, Slint

Imagen

STREAM

#12.

Caroline Polachek

Pang

Genre: Art Pop

Electropop, Ambient Pop, Alternative R&B, Glitch Pop

After Chairlift broke up, Caroline Polachek has been busy with a lot of stuff, working with Blood Orange, Charli XCX or Danny L Harle or crafting ambient music solo. But nothing feels more accomplished than her proper debut solo album, Pang. This album is pop at its most diverse, ambitious and strange, yet made beautiful with Polachek's fantastic vocals.

Highlights: "The Gate", "Pang", "Hit Me Where It Hurts", "I Give Up", "Insomnia", "Hey Big Eyes", "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings", "Door", "Parachute"

You'll like it if you like: Chairlift, FKA twigs, Charli XCX

a3000925895_16.jpg

STREAM

#11.

Nilüfer Yanya

Miss Universe

Genre: Indie Pop, Indie Rock

Art Pop, Jazz Pop, Sophisti-Pop, Indietronica

At its core, Nilüfer Yanya's debut album Miss Universe is an indie rock record. And not only is it a good one, but it's one that is not afraid to escape the tradition of indie rock, adding influences from pop, soul, jazz, R&B and electronic music in a way that sounds both cohesive and appealing. While subtle, it proves to be one of the most genuine and creative indie rock releases of the decade.

Highlights: "In Your Head", "Paralysed", "Angels", "Paradise", "Baby Blu", "Heat Rises", "Safety Net", "Tears", "Heavyweight Champion of the Year"

You'll like it if you like: Mitski, Big Thief, King Krule, Bat for Lashes

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• TheWayWeWere

• Remmy

• Lazuli

Tinashe :clap3:

Good set :) 

Please, don't forget to visit and comment on my Top 100 Countdown :) 

40 Ms. Nina feat. Tomasa Del Real - Y dime
39 Oli XL - Clumsy
38 Georgia - About Work the Dancefloor
37 Tinashe feat. Ms. Banks - Die a Little Bit
36 Charli XCX feat. Troye Sivan - 2099
35 Tove Lo feat. Kylie Minogue - Really Don't Like U
34 Jenny Hval - Ashes to Ashes
33 Rosalía feat. Ozuna - Yo x ti, Tu x mi
32 Cate Le Bon - Home to You
31 Bad Gyal - Hookah
30 Helado Negro - País nublado
29 Big Thief - Not
28 (Sandy) Alex G - Gretel
27 Carly Rae Jepsen - Now That I Found You
26 Girl Band - Shoulderblades
25 Koffee - Rapture
24 DaBaby - Intro
23 Zara Larsson - Don't Worry Bout Me
22 Sharon Van Etten - Seventeen
21 Robyn - Ever Again (Single Mix)

Will post top 20 singles and top 10 albums shortly!! So I can be done with this :heart2:

Albums~ Angel, Tinashe and Caroline :smitten: Carly :date: But wow another list that has her too low! Spring, I'll Be Your Girl, Too Much, Hopscotch, Perfect Crime, Look at Me Now & Ocean of Tears missing your highlights :mandown: || Singles~ #35-37 are cute for the most part. Don't Worry Bout Me :eddie: Ever Again + Now That I Found You :party:

Dedicated has a nice placement, LOVE Songs for You :clap3:

16 hours ago, TRF. said:

37 Tinashe feat. Ms. Banks - Die a Little Bit

27 Carly Rae Jepsen - Now That I Found You

whew! :clap3::clap3:

Earfquake, Doin' Time, Summer Girl, Let You Know & Downhill Lullaby, Die a Little Bit, 2099, Ashes to Ashes, Really Don't Like U, Now That I Found You & Ever Again

Al these classics already :jonny5:

I forgot that Nick Cave released in album this year :skull: let me check it out

Can't wait for the top 20 & top 10 singles & albums.

Lana and Tinashe :heart2: So many albums here I have queued for later. Especially the Bad Bunny record.

idIXc1S.png

OVaLsJQ.png

#20.

Megan Thee Stallion feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign

"Hot Girl Summer"

I don't know why I love this song so much but I definitely have had it stuck in my head, and in replay, ever since it came out. Megan and Nicki deliver fire verses and Ty's hook is somehow great too. Serve!

#19.

Caroline Polachek

"So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings"

from the album Pang

A grower! Absolutely the poppiest song from Pang, but it's just so joyous and relatable.

#18.

Solange feat. Playboi Carti

"Almeda"

from the album When I Get Home

Catchy hook by Solange and an incredible production but what truly makes this one of my fav songs of the year is Carti's verse! King!

#17.

Little Simz feat. CleoSol

"Selfish"

from the album Grey Area

The light disco/funk vibe really fits Little Simz's music, and that hook by CleoSol is gorgeous.

#16.

Lana Del Rey

"**** It I Love You / The Greatest"

from the album Norman ****ing Rockwell!

Kanye West is dead and gone...

#15.

FKA twigs

"home with you"

from the album MAGDALENE

I listened to this song for the first time in a car while heading to college early in the morning, the sun was starting to rise, it was a beautiful experience.

#14.

Princesa Alba

"Convéncete"

Actually I heard this for the first time rather recently, but I just couldn't help be obsessed with it. It makes me feel the same "Fiebre" by Bad Gyal does, a truly gorgeous reggaeton song with a synthpop touch.

#13.

Hatchie

"Stay with Me"

from the album Keepsake

I don't know why I didn't like Hatchie's album as much as I was hoping for, maybe because this song set my expectations a little too high. But goddamn, what a fantastic song, the midpoint of 80's pop and shoegaze.

#12.

Angel Olsen

"All Mirrors"

from the album All Mirrors

The synths... the strings... those last two minutes... everybody say thank you Angel Olsen RIGHT NOW!

#11.

Dua Lipa

"Don't Start Now"

from the album Future Nostalgia

Main Pop Girl

#10.

Black Country, New Road

"Sunglasses"

At first, it seems like a fairly regular post-punk-y song with great lyrics delivered via spoken word. Then the saxophone hits. Then does everything else.

#09.

Shygirl

"BB"

One of Shygirl's best performances, and Sega Bodega's best beats as well. They match each other perfectly, somehow managing to upstage the already perfect Cruel Practice EP.

#08.

MC Tha

"Rito de passá"

from the album Rito de passá

Over a rather heavy baile funk beat, MC Tha sings some of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard. That contrast is wonderful.

#07.

Kelsey Lu

"I'm Not in Love"

from the album Blood

Yes, this cover is better than the original. Fight me if you have to.

#06.

Rosalía

"Aute Cuture"

I had already heard Los ángeles in June 2018, but you know what made me stan Rosalía? Hearing a 20-second snippet of a performance of this song. Needless to say, I love it.

#05.

Weyes Blood

"Movies"

from the album Titanic Rising

The first half of this song feels like a more meditative piece, but then it abruptly cuts into those strings, and it feels fantastic, it feels glorious.

#04.

Caroline Polachek

"Door"

from the album Pang

Another song that took its time to grow on me! The trip hop-esque production is beautiful, and she's delivering some of her vocals ever on here.

#03.

Holly Herndon

"Eternal"

from the album PROTO

Holly Herndon's discography is not very rich in "pop songs", but this is definitely the closest she's come to one, and it's absolutely striking.

#02.

FKA twigs

"Cellophane"

from the album MAGDALENE

Absolutely heart-shattering in ways no other song has ever made me feel. She's simply amazing, and all the acclaim this song has gotten is more than deserved.

#01.

Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens

"Gone"

from the album Charli

No other song this year has meant as much to me as this song has. It'd be a lot to explain why, but there's something so cathartic about all of this song that makes it so special not only in Charli's discography, but in the past years of music in general. Chris and Charli got the perfect chemistry to make this song work, and A.G.'s production is unreal. And that outro! A song that is perfect for me in every way.

So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings :party:

hgs and so hot are bops after bops!

the greatest, home with you, , stay with me, all mirrors, dont start now :clap3: 

movies, door, aute cuture dominating :jonny: 

the top 2 :jonny5: cheeky of u to use cellophane video graphics but not give it the #1 it deserves! but gone is an incredible choice anyways so :clap3: 

sis, you're taste slays a bit :jonny4: 

PANG :clap3: Caroline is such a great discover for me :clap3: and So Hot making singles list :party:

Almeda is a grower , just like album :clap3:

omg, finally some love for FILY :eli: The Greatest steals all attention from it :'( that Kanye quote is so true :fan:

Stay With Me, Home With You :clap3: 

Cellophane just scalpes me :jonny4: 

Gone making #1 :jonny5: 

So Hot, Stay with Me, All Mirrors, Door, Gone - all really amazing and album highlights as well :worship: I'm sure Don't Start Now will be the same when FN drops. Both Caroline singles were actually really instant for me & are still my top 2 from Pang. :date: Movies & The greatest are cute, never loved them as much as everyone else has. I remember listening to Cellophane after hearing a beautiful snippet of the chorus but the rest didn't appeal to me. :dancehall:

So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings, **** it I love you, Stay With Me, Don't Start Now & Door :jonny: all very deserving to be so high!

Dedicated & Pang for albums:clap3: and yesss at Safety Net being a highlight for Nilüfer :smitten:

idIXc1S.png

qOm01hO.png

a3550078679_16.jpg

STREAM

#10.

Slauson Malone

A Quiet Farwell 2016-2018

Genre: Sound Collage, Experimental Hip Hop, Glitch Hop

Abstract Hip Hop, Neo-Soul, Jazz Rap, Ambient, Hypnagogic Pop

Jasper Marsalis was part of the music collective Standing on the Corner, which besides collaborating with artists like Earl Sweatshirt or MIKE, innovated with a mixture of experimental hip hop, samples, avant-garde jazz, soul and psychedelia, passed through a modern lo-fi filter. Marsalis no longer belongs to Standing on the Corner, but continues to make music under the pseudonym Slauson Malone. While he maintains the spirit of his work within the collective, he also gives himself room to experiment, and he does - a lot. A Quiet Farwell, 2016-2018 is more atmospheric, unpredictable, closer to the collage-based works of people like Klein, Elysia Crampton or Yves Tumor than to any hip hop work of recent years. However, the use of samples, the chopped and screwed styles and the collaborations of people like Maxo or Pink Siifu still keep it within the world of rap - even if it is in its most abstract form possible. That's what makes it so attractive, interesting and unique in the first place.

Highlights: "Ttrabul (feat. Medhane)", "I can make you feel freedom, Katri… (feat. Pearl De Luna)", "—Fred Hampton’s Door, Farewell Sassy— …na", "King Sisyphus of the Atlantic (feat. Taphari)", "My feet’s hurt and or I was a fugitive but then I realized there was nowhere I could run to", "Off Me! “The Wake” Pt. 1 & 2 (feat. Pink Siifu)", "Smile #4", "THE MESSAGE 2"

You'll like it if you like: Earl Sweatshirt, MIKE, Yves Tumor, Klein

a1673180911_16.jpg

STREAM

#09.

Weyes Blood

Titanic Rising

Genre: Art Pop, Baroque Pop

Progressive Pop, Dream Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Psychedelic Folk

Weyes Blood has been releasing music for over a decade, since 2007 if you count her early noise project under the name Weyes Bluhd. But there is a reason why Titanic Rising got a lot of attention from not only critics, but a lot of music fans too. The songwriting on this album is truly great, and it's matched by a production that's detailed, rich, and truly majestic. It stands out from the average record catered towards indie tastes, standing for something more ambitious, with gratifying results.

Highlights: "A Lot's Gonna Change", "Andromeda", "Everyday", "Something to Believe", "Movies", "Mirror Forever", "Wild Time"

You'll like it if you like: Lana Del Rey, Kacey Musgraves, Kate Bush

a3985780561_16.jpg

STREAM

#08.

Lingua Ignota

Caligula

Genre: Death Industrial, Neoclassical Darkwave

Sludge Metal, Depressive Black Metal

Kirstin Hayter started her Lingua Ignota project after finishing her thesis, based on the misogyny and gender violence present in noise music, industrial, black metal and various genres and subgenres of extreme music. Her music is based on the history of these styles, but also on her own experience as a victim of domestic violence. Caligula, her most recent album, expands on the ideas she worked on in her first two records, with the collaboration of people like The Rita, Uniform, Full of Hell and The Body. In this album she shows her thirst for revenge through her powerful lyrics, in a constant debate between the dense and infernal of noise music and the transcendental of Christian liturgical music or classical music - elevated even more by Hayter's fantastic, versatile voice. Caligula is a dense and extensive record, but unique in the way it manages to convey catharsis and fury. 

Highlights: "Faithful Servant Friend of Christ", "Do You Doubt Me Traitor", "Butcher of the World", "May Failure Be Your Noose", "Fragrant Is My Many Flower'd Crown", "If the Poison Won't Take You My Dogs Will", "Day of Tears and Mourning", "Spite Alone Holds Me Aloft"

You'll like it if you like: Diamanda Galás, Pharmakon, The Body

Imagen

STREAM

#07.

Charli XCX

Charli

Genre: Electropop, Bubblegum Bass

Dance-Pop, Synthpop, Deconstructed Club, Art Pop, Pop Rap

It's been a while since Charli XCX released an album, but less so since the release of Pop 2, a record which, while absolutely full of clubby pop music, was essentially an expansion of it, and a way to experiment with it to the fullest. Charli, her proper third album, is less "avant-garde" than its predecessor, but her fantastic ear for hooks and the edginess that makes it all sound like Charli still remains, as nothing is sacrificed. It is a cliché at this point to say that "Charli is the future of pop". That said, this does sound like pop at its best, with the fantastic production and catchy hooks to match.

Highlights: "Next Level Charli", "Gone" (feat. Christine and the Queens), "Cross You Out" (feat. Sky Ferreira), "Warm" (feat. HAIM), "Silver Cross", "I Don't Wanna Know", "Official", "Shake It" (feat. Big Freedia, Brooke Candy, CupcakKe & Pabllo Vittar), "February 2017" (feat. Yaeji & Clairo), "2099" (feat. Troye Sivan)

You'll like it if you like: SOPHIE, any of the collaborators on the album

Imagen

STREAM

#06.

ECCO2K

E

Genre: Alternative R&B, Art Pop, Cloud Rap

Ambient Pop, UK Bass, Experimental Hip Hop, Emo Rap

Many years after his debut without releasing any proper full length, Drain Gang member ECCO2K finally came through with his debut, E, a fantastic album that's brim with emotive and personal songs that have the banging, weird and unique beats (courtesy of Yves Tumor, Yung Sherman, Gud and Mechatok) that you can always expect from his stuff. In a little over half an hour, this album proves him as a one of a kind talent that extends far beyond genre limitations.

Highlights: "AAA Powerline", "Peroxide", "Fruit Bleeds Juice", "Cc", "Calcium", "Don't Ask", "Security!", "Time", "Blue Eyes"

You'll like it if you like: Playboi Carti, Björk, Lil Peep, Arca

Imagen

STREAM

#05.

Kelsey Lu

Blood

Genre: Art Pop, Chamber Pop

Baroque Pop, Progressive Pop, Ambient Pop, Chamber Folk, Sophisti-Pop

Kelsey Lu has a lot of experience contributing to albums by artists as varied as Florence + the Machine, Lady Gaga, Solange or Oneohtrix Point Never, mainly as a cellist. However, she expresses herself musically in a much more diverse and distinct way, proven by her debut album Blood. It is an album rich in moving lyrics and soft melodies, which achieves an almost perfect balance between accessible compositions that can reach a massive audience and sound innovation, with a very organic yet uniquely experimental palette. Kelsey Lu shows all her strength and talents in this, one of the most surprising and consistent debut albums of the year so far.

Highlights: "Rebel", "Due West", "Why Knock for You", "Foreign Car", "Poor Fake", "Too Much", "I'm Not in Love", "Atlantic", "Blood"

You'll like it if you like: Julia Holter, Joanna Newsom, Solange

Imagen

STREAM

#04.

Solange

When I Get Home

Genre: Alternative R&B, Art Pop, Neo-Soul

Ambient Pop, Sophisti-Pop, Synth Funk, Chopped and Screwed, Experimental Hip Hop

When I Get Home, Solange's fourth studio album, came after A Seat at the Table, one of the most iconic records of the decade, particularly because of its political lyricism. This new record, however, is less focused on lyrical content than its predecessor, instead opting for a more experimental approach inspired by southern rap and avant-garde jazz, but it is no less important or culturally relevant. Regardless of its sound or how strange it might be, it doesn't lose its replay value at all, it flows heavenly, and you find a lot of things that you might not catch on first listen.

Highlights: "Things I Imagined", "Way to the Show", "Stay Flo", "Dreams", "Almeda" (feat. Playboi Carti), "Time (Is)" (feat. Sampha), "My Skin My Logo" (feat. Gucci Mane), "Jerrod", "Binz", "Beltway", "Sound of Rain"

You'll like it if you like: Kelela, Julia Holter, Alice Coltrane, Flying Lotus

Imagen

STREAM

#03.

Holly Herndon

PROTO

Genre: Glitch Pop, Experimental

Choral, Art Pop, Deconstructed Club, Ambient

Holly Herndon's PROTO was created in part through an "AI baby" called "Spawn", which draw from her voice and the voices of several of her collaborators as a way to be part of a choral ensemble, which is present throughout her album. But beyond the ambitious concepts or the integration of new and innovative technologies, those people who have no idea about any of these and still feel a strong passion for experimental electronic music will find in PROTO a magnificent album. What separates Holly Herndon from many contemporary artists in the genre is how human her music feels, and this album is a great example of that, which is why she is one of the most prominent figures in this field.

Highlights: "Alienation", "Eternal", "Crawler", "Frontier", "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt", "SWIM", "Bridge" (feat. Martine Syms), "Godmother" (feat. Jlin), "Last Gasp"

You'll like it if you like: Björk's Medulla, The Knife's Shaking the Habitual, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Les mystéres de voix bulgaires

Imagen

STREAM

#02.

Lana Del Rey

Norman ****ing Rockwell!

Genre: Art Pop

Dream Pop, Chamber Pop, Soft Rock, Piano Rock, Neo-Psychedelia

Well, it is no secret that I have always loved Lana Del Rey, so seeing Norman ****ing Rockwell! get so much love truly makes me feel vindicated. And it's absolutely well earned, it has some of her best songwriting and some of the music that she's ever laid vocals on, making everything sound well matured and distinctively hers at the same time. It is true that this record puts her among the best songwriters alive, if that wasn't true beforehand.

Highlights: "Norman ****ing Rockwell!", "Venice Bitch", "**** It I Love You", "Doin' Time", "Love Song", "Cinnamon Girl", "California", "The Greatest", "Bartender", "Hope is a dangerous thing..."

You'll like it if you like: Fiona Apple, Fleetwood Mac, Mazzy Star

Imagen

STREAM

#01.

FKA twigs

MAGDALENE

Genre: Art Pop, Glitch Pop

Ambient Pop, Alternative R&B, Deconstructed Club

FKA twigs was gone for four years without releasing any music, which almost felt like an eternity. But her comeback album, MAGDALENE truly exceeded my high expectations. With the fantastic production that has always been present on her music, courtesy of herself and collaborators like Nicolas Jaar, Oneohtrix Point Never or even Skrillex, she delivers music that was born out of the most intense emotional (and physical) pain in a way that is just unbelievably good. It's an emotional rollercoaster, which has her best songwriting and singing yet, and undoubtedly sets her as one of the most important acts of the decade.

Highlights: "home with you", "sad day", "holy terrain" (feat. Future), "mary magdalene", "fallen alien", "mirrored heart", "cellophane"

You'll like it if you like: Kate Bush, Björk, Janet Jackson, Nick Cave

Both the singles and albums lists are serves! Love the albums top 2 especially and Erika making it quite high :heart2: ECCO2K top 10 is a surprise, but deserved! Love reading what you had to say too.

It is true that this record puts her among the best songwriters alive, if that wasn't true beforehand.

PERIOD!

Lana del Rey  :heart2:

Please don't forget to comment on my Top 100 countdown !!

Dont Start Now, Cellophane, Home with You, FIILY/The Greatest :clap3:

I'm surprised everyone is choosing Stay with Me though, I prefer Without a Blush.

SHYHMF is a bop, but I wasn't really able to get into Caroline's other stuff so far :noparty:

What can I say besides there being so many goodies in your songs and albums list? Honestly, not much else.

Love your top 2 albums and I remember enjoying Gone a lot so great winner. That Shygirl track is reminding me to check out her EP too :eek: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.