HONESTLY, 2019. - Singles (20-1) + Albums (10-1)

TRF.

• ATRL Moderator

only know redux, ana roxanne and koffee's eps
rapture talent and a deserving no. 1  :clap3:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• TheWayWeWere

• Remmy

• Lazuli

ff I could've sworn I posted in here. Either, lovely graphics and interesting picks for your EPs and videos (Doin' Time :heart2:

I certainly haven't checked out a lot of EPs but I'll make sure to look into Ms. Kilo's for sure.

I ALSO missed out on like every EP this year lmao but I am excited for the remainder of the countdown!

didn't bother to make an ep list, but Ana would easily snatch #1 so I'm glad she's that high :clap3:

top 5 is kinda excellent, see some other nice choices on the list as well

forgot to check out Held songstress's ep, let me saving

Andy Stott's double ep was amazing. I wish his new album will be as good. Also liked Ms. Nina & Earl. 

On 12/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Chamoy said:

The Coqueta snub. Eye-

RUb5S6c.thumb.png.4212feeda32bef036b1fc7174f3bc3b4.png

she's a nice girl! :heart2:

On 12/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, Madame X said:

WAIT Ms Nina is an EP, I counted it as an album lol

Kilo Kish, Sassy 009, LIM KIM (!!!), Charlotte,  Civilisation I (a little low no?),

The only one I didn't like was Roxanne but the rest that I've heard I approve.

I mean it *is* a mixtape! But yeah idk I put it on EPs because it's not quite album length?

On 12/12/2019 at 4:28 PM, Sbbmsve said:

I don't know any EPs, sorry. Just bumping TERF :heart2:

Don't call me that! Trans rights amor!

On 12/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, Remmy said:

dont know the eps nn but still perched for smth i know [2] - but let me explore a bit the next time I visit :gaycat2: Also WHERE is Aly & AJ?

not on the EP charts... but maybe a little something will be on the singles chart? :keir:

Before I post the album list, let me posting the honorary mentions! Albums that were quite good but either found kind of overrated or need some more time truly dig into. Alphabetical order:

Resultado de imagen para 3776 saijiki Resultado de imagen para ariana grande thank u next album cover Resultado de imagen para BARKER UTILITY Resultado de imagen para big thief u.f.o.f. Resultado de imagen para boy harsher careful

3776 - Saijiki

There is a lot going on on this album, to the point where the fact that it is a concept album about being Mount Fuji is the least weird thing about it.

Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Pop princess delivered! I feel like this album didn't age as well as I would have wanted it to (especially considering none of my favorite tracks were released as singles) but like, it's still a good mainstream pop album!

Barker - Utility

Club music almost completely stripped of drums or beats in general, still manages to be super banging though.

Big Thief - U.F.O.F./Two Hands

If you took the... five? best tracks of each album and put them into one it would probably be on my list, maybe high even. Not the case, unfortunately, better luck next time. <3

Boy Harsher - Careful

Makes me wanna dress fully in black and start doing this:

Resultado de imagen para goths dancing gif

Resultado de imagen para cazzu error 93 Resultado de imagen para clarice falcao tem conserto Resultado de imagen para clipping there existed an addiction to blood Resultado de imagen para danny brown uknowhatimsayin¿ Resultado de imagen para eartheater trinity

Cazzu - Error 93

Argentinian trap queen came through with her debut album, alternating between heartfelt reggaeton and R&B and braggadocious rap seamlessly. I just know her next album will serve even more, and I'm excited to hear it.

Clarice Falcão - Tem conserto

Ever wondered what would Honey by Robyn would sound like if it was in Portuguese? Look no further!

clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood

Theme-wise probably their most interesting album, I feel like I'm not too interested in them nowadays as I was in 2013-2014 but they still have a lot of great things going for them, so if you're into both noise and rap music this should be up your alley 100%.

Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin¿

I feel like I would like this album much more had it not come from the same person who made Atrocity Exhibition.

Eartheater - Trinity

Probably her most pop record to date (she got Charli XCX stanning!) from an artist whose extreme experimentalism kind of alienated me. She has an album coming on 2020 and I'm excited to see where she takes this new sound.

Resultado de imagen para full of hell weeping choir Resultado de imagen para girl band the talkies Resultado de imagen para kali malone the sacrificial code Resultado de imagen para kedr livanskiy your need Resultado de imagen para maral mahur club

Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

Aaaa my metal faves! This record hits very hard, and might be my favorite FOH record yet! Wish I had listened to it a bit more though.

Girl Band - The Talkies

I feel like with each record post-punk kings Girl Band are coming closer to making that one record I'm gonna love forever. This is way ahead of their debut and the next one will probably be even more so, hopefully this time they don't take like 5 years to record it.

Kali Malone - The Sacrifical Code

Imagine someone going into this record expecting a Kali Uchis/Post Malone collab and getting a minimalist, organ-based experimental drone record. I know a few people who fell for it.

Kedr Livanskiy - Your Need

Russian electronic producer switched from an ethereal pop sound to something heavily leaning towards pure house music, and it truly suits her.

Maral - Mahur Club

Maral truly mixed noise music, reggaeton, Iranian folk, dub and mid-00's pop samples into something chaotic and fascinating on this mixtape! Queen.

Resultado de imagen para mike tears of joy Resultado de imagen para organ tapes hunger in me living Resultado de imagen para roses gabor fantasy and facts Resultado de imagen para sharon van etten remind me tomorrow 7702876

MIKE - Tears of Joy

MIKE came to his own with one of his most personal and intimate releases to date, he truly is one of the gems of hip hop today.

Organ Tapes - Hunger in Me Living

If the idea of a collaboration between Cocteau Twins and Playboi Carti sounds ideal to you, this is not too far off.

Roses Gabor - Fantasy & Facts

She's been on the music industry for soooo long, I'm so glad she delivered an album that was mostly very good. If you love R&B like that of Nao or Snoh Aalegra please make sure to give this a listen or two.

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

Her most synth-heavy work and definitely one of her most interesting, she always demonstrates her strong songwriting and you just gotta love that.

Slayyyter - Slayyyter

A homage towards 00's pop music via PC Music-like production, was surprised by how good this was even though I always rooted for her!

Resultado de imagen para tayhana tierra del fuego Resultado de imagen para thaiboy digital legendary member Resultado de imagen para tr/st the destroyer Resultado de imagen para tyler the creator igor Resultado de imagen para xiu xiu girl with basket of fruit

Tayhana - Tierra Del Fuego

Avant-club meets cumbia villera? I'm 100% in.

Thaiboy Digital - Legendary Member

Possibly the most mainstream any Drain Gang member has ever sounded... also maybe proof that Bladee is the least good member of the collective? Just saying!

TR/ST - The Destroyer 1/2

I kinda feel the same way about this album as I feel about the Big Thief one. "Poorly Coward" though...

Tyler, The Creator - IGOR

Never been the biggest Little Tylester, so I wasn't too impressed with this... having said that it does include what is possibly his best song, "I Think", so props for that.

Xiu Xiu - Girl with Basket of Fruit

It's not necessarily Xiu Xiu at its most experimental (it's not them lining up like 150 dildos and recording them) but it does have them organizing their experimental sounds into a more "accessible" or at least more album-like context, and it does work very well.

If the album lists has IGOR on it, then the list is perfect for me :clap3:

I've never listen to most of the artists tbh, but i'm actually really excited to listen to is especially Sharon & Danny Brown.

Peeped some people from the EP list and Charlotte Adigéry + Kilo Kish are the 2 that I added to my list of artists to check out in 2020 :lakitu: 

thank u, next is good. Can't say I'm bothered about it missing the main list. "none of my favorite tracks were released as singles" okay but same. Poor NASA, ghostin & in my head - mainly NASA since it's the only one that really had a chance.

Roses Gabor >>>>>> 

Can't believe Big Thief are missing your top listing! Ah well, at least you appreciate that they have some talent.

tu,n is really good, wish it made the main list :chick1: Slayyyter and Igor had some cute standouts :jamming:

I can see why they didn't make the list tho :mandown: wasn't big on Sharon's album, glad it was a fad :fan:

I've got the same opinion towards Big Thief's released material this year. "Not" was their standout track.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, Remmy said:

Peeped some people from the EP list and Charlotte Adigéry + Kilo Kish are the 2 that I added to my list of artists to check out in 2020 :lakitu: 

thank u, next is good. Can't say I'm bothered about it missing the main list. "none of my favorite tracks were released as singles" okay but same. Poor NASA, ghostin & in my head - mainly NASA since it's the only one that really had a chance.

I think you'd like Kilo a lot actually! And yeah I agree about Ariana there :/

On 12/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, Chamoy said:

Legendary Member aged like milk next to E and Trash Island.

I still bop to Lip Service every now and then, though.

Hm... points made x

18 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Girl you tried it with the big thief write up!! The others are fair hms.

I tried and succeeded amor!

first update of albums and singles coming tomorrow btw xoxo

ariana missing the list :mandown: 

BOTH big thief albums missing the list? bitch no...

remind me tomorrow :'( 

idIXc1S.png

OVaLsJQ.png

#100.

Foals

"Exits"

from 'Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost - Part 1'

Didn't really dig their album(s) but this kinda has a nice throwback to their Antidotes sound, which I appreciate.

#99.

Amnesia Scanner feat. Lalita

"AS Acá"

This really sounds like them going... latin pop? But it's still incredibly ****ed, and I love that.

#98.

Doja Cat & Rico Nasty

"Tia Tamera"

from 'Amala (Deluxe)'

Honestly... sometimes all you need is a very dumb song about boobs.

#97.

Mark Ronson feat. Lykke Li

"Late Night Feelings"

from 'Late Night Feelings'

Deserved to be as big as "Uptown Funk".

#96.

SASSY 009

"Thrasher"

from 'KILL SASSY 009'

Finally someone answered the question of "what is the midpoint between R&B and EBM/industrial club music?"

#95.

Carly Rae Jepsen

"Too Much"

from 'Dedicated'

I might prefer other songs on her album, but the lyrics are just too relatable and the light dancehall/reggaeton vibe is actually great?

#94.

Normani

"Motivation"

On one hand, yeah, this might be an Ariana reject. On the other hand, so? It's still better than any of the Ariana singles released this year! A damn good pop song.

#93.

Katy Perry

"Never Really Over"

This sounds like a watered down Robyn song, a.k.a. the best Katy has sounded since like, 2010. Didn't deserve to flop, maybe.

#92.

Noname

"Song 32"

Ahhhh this song is so smooth. Noname is a such a fantastic lyricist too! She's just excellence.

#91.

Rico Nasty

"Roof"

Rico queen! Anger Management kinda aged badly for me, but this song really stuck! She really should have put it there. I blame Kenny personally.

#90.

ionnalee

"Some Body"

from 'Remember the Future'

Miss Jonna Lee kinda flopped this year didn't she? Still love her, but nothing of RTF stuck with me. This song is fantastic, though!

#89.

Spellling

"Under the Sun"

from 'Mazy Fly'

Something about this song sounds so... haunted? Which is the point, but it truly sounds like disco in hell and space simultaneously.

#88.

Peggy Gou

"Starry Night"

from 'Moment'

The kind of disco and house music that sounds so warm and inviting to the dancefloor I love.

#87.

Maxo Kream feat. Megan Thee Stallion

"She Live"

from 'Brandon Banks'

Maxo and Megan truly compliment each other more than I would have expected. It's such a fun song! With a fun video too!

#86.

Lizzo feat. Missy Elliott

"Tempo"

from 'Cuz I Love You'

I couldn't care less about Lizzo or her album, having said that I love this song? Missy sounds so good too! Should have been a big hit.

#85.

Zara Larsson

"All the Time"

On the topic of songs that should have been huge hits, come on now... this song is "Doin' It Right" by Daft Punk on full pop mode and I love that a lot.

#84.

MIKE

"It's Like Basketball"

from 'Tears of Joy'

This kid is just so talented, and the production (shout-out Sporting Life) is so lovely.

#83.

Angel Olsen

"Lark"

from 'All Mirrors'

Monumental to point where it's almost overwhelming. What a great way to start an album, too.

#82.

Jai Paul

"He"

His first song after his much awaited comeback turned out to be as funky and fun as this... my king! Truly bringing some 70's vibes. "Do You Love Her Now" is cute too!

#81.

Boy Harsher

"LA"

from 'Careful'

tenor.gif

Exits + Never Really Over :clap3:

Exits starting off the top 100 :smitten: Too Much, Motivation & Never Really Over all in a row :katie2: Definitely a 1-2-3 punch of songs that deserved to be huge. Might as well throw Tempo and All the Time into that pile, too :sats: Lark :clap3: Surprised to see it this low though.

idIXc1S.png

qOm01hO.png

a0882707340_16.jpg

STREAM

#50.

Tami T

High Pitched and Moist

Genre: Electropop

Bubblegum Bass, Electro House, Art Pop, Synthpop

After having collaborated with Fever Ray on her excellent and underrated 2017 album Plunge, fellow Swede Tami T released High Pitched and Moist this year with a record that has as much chaos and beauty as their collaboration did. She sings about gender and trans identity, sexuality, mental health, violence and fear over heavy, loud club beats that sound like PC Music's crystalline pop — complete with pitched-up vocals — and early 10's EDM at the same time, making for a listening experience that is both incredibly emotional and fun at the same time.

Highlights: "Princess", "So Afraid", "Fourteen", "Mucous Membrane", "Disgusted"

You'll like it if you like: Fever Ray, A.G. Cook, Zhala, Dorian Electra

a2645680614_16.jpg

STREAM

#49.

Loraine James

For You and I

Genre: IDM

Glitch Hop, Deconstructed Club, Weightless

For You and I is Loraine James' debut under Hyperdub, and it is truly one of the most interesting debut albums of the year. Taking inspiration from her hometown of Enfield in London, as well as her own experience as a queer black woman living in that city, she makes a record that fuses many of the electronic music genres that have originated in the city both in the past and the present — and it's a very creative take.

Highlights: "Glitch Bitch", "London Ting//Dark As ****", "So Scared", "Sensual", "Vowel//Consonant"

You'll like it if you like: Aphex Twin, Sd Laika, Visionist, Mumdance

a3716151064_16.jpg

STREAM

#48.

Gabber Modus Operandi

HOXXXYA

Genre: Gabber, Deconstructed Club

Footwork, Gamelan

Gabber is a music genre that has been reviled for many due to its questionable aesthetics or "corny" subculture, as well hardcore dance music being considered not fashionable. But Indonesian duo Gabber Modus Operandi and their album HOXXXYA prove that notion to be false. Taking gabber away from its Dutch origins, taking influences not only from Balinese gamelan, but also the noise and metal scene from their native Denpasar, they make gabber sound as hard, great, enjoyable and creative as it was always meant to be.

Highlights: "Semeton 10 Ton", "Kon", "Padang Galaxxx", "Sangkakala III"

You'll like it if you like: DJ Tron, Jlin, 69db, Rui Ho, Lotic, KABLAM

a3042446697_16.jpg

STREAM

#47.

Tomasa Del Real

TDR

Genre: Reggaeton, Latin Electronic

Trap, Pop Rap, Dancehall, Alternative R&B

This year, Iquique singer Tomasa Del Real became the first reggaeton artist to ever perform in Coachella, before even J Balvin or Bad Bunny. And in her latest album TDR, she truly cements her "neoperreo" style as one of the most exciting things to have happened in reggaeton in the past few years. Tomasa has enough personality to carry these songs, and with production courtesy of legends like DJ Blass or newcomers like Deltatron, it really makes TDR a highlight of the genre this year.

Highlights: "Ella quiere culiar", "Perrea conmigo", "Y nos vamos", "Contigo"

You'll like it if you like: Ms. Nina, La Factoría, Florentino, Karol G

a0401638712_16.jpg

STREAM

#46.

slowthai

Nothing Great About Britain

Genre: UK Hip Hop, Conscious Hip Hop

Political Hip Hop, Grime, Hardcore Hip Hop

A few months ago, slowthai saw himself involved in controversy after holding up a model of Boris Johnson's severed head at the Mercury Prize awards. Many (bad) things have happened in Britain since then, and it feels like Nothing Great About Britain is a great capture of it. It's a record full of angst at the UK's mere existence based on centuries of killing and colonizing, but also a record that could only have come from someone who's experiencing Britain's modern life. It's a record I can only see gaining more and more impact from now on.

Highlights: "Nothing Great About Britain", "Doorman", "Toaster", "Peace of Mind", "Missing"

You'll like it if you like: Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Denzel Curry, Skepta

Late Night Feelings :jonny4: omg, you're so on point :jonny: I hate that ****ty songs like UF succeed, when quality flops :'( 

Never Really Over and Too Much :clap3: too much taste here RWLeZU2.gif

Lark along with vid is such an experience :jonny: 

Let me catching up, I see some snubs already :thing: As I said somewhere else, I need to get around to listen to that 3776 album, your description makes me even more interested. Same with clipping. and MIKE is still in my queue after you recommended me his last album.

Could go on about how much talent I see here but what's the point honestly. Good to see Tami T(alent) getting some love though :heart2:

Never really over is good :)

idIXc1S.png

qOm01hO.png

a4129355537_16.jpg

STREAM

#45.

Rakky Ripper

Neptune Diamond

Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Pop Rap, Electropop

Trap, Alternative R&B, Reggaeton

In the past few years PC Music have spawned many imitators and acts who were openly influenced by their style, with people like Slayyyter or 100 gecs gaining a lot of attention. But Madrid singer and rapper Rakky Ripper stands out of the rest not only by singing on her native Spanish, but by sprinkling trap and reggaeton influences (considering she first broke out under these genres) she sounds like she's on a lane of her own. Neptune Diamond is Rakky's first album and her first work to merge these styles, it will be exciting to see what's next for her.

Highlights: "Thai Food", "Honda", "Fresa chocolate y crema", "Me olvidé", "Bye"

You'll like it if you like: Charli XCX, La Zowi, Hannah Diamond

a0886287496_16.jpg

STREAM

#44.

(Sandy) Alex G

House of Sugar

Genre: Neo-Psychedelia, Indie Folk

Indie Pop, Indietronica, Americana, Dream Pop

Alex G has been a figurehead of lo-fi bedroom pop since the beginning of the decade. But with each album he has made, his music begins to sound more and more grandiose, pushing further from the limitations of the pseudo-genre he was pigeonholed to. In some way or another, House of Sugar is the ultimate peak of that. Now as (Sandy) Alex G, he makes music that sounds like an outer-space experience while still maintaining some of the indie stylings of his earlier material, making this one of the most creative projects he's ever laid his hands on.

Highlights: "Walk Away", "Gretel", "Taking", "Near", "Project 2", "Sugar"

You'll like it if you like: Weyes Blood, of Montreal, Animal Collective

flume-hi-this-is-flume.jpg

STREAM

#43.

Flume

Hi This Is Flume

Genre: Wonky

Trap EDM, Deconstructed Club, Future Bass, Glitch Hop

Flume is probably one of the biggest EDM acts in the world, but it's sometimes easy to forget how great of a producer he can be. Hi This Is Flume, his most recent mixtape, is a friendly reminder. While it is undoubtedly full of bangers, he also has time to venture to edgier and more experimental territories than ever before, akin to the industrial bass sounds of Jam City, Arca or SOPHIE — who is in this album twice. Along with collaborators like EPROM, JPEGMAFIA or slowthai, Flume has made one of his most interesting works to date.

Highlights: "High Beams" (feat. slowthai), "How To Build A Relationship" (feat. JPEGMAFIA), "Wormhole", "Voices" (feat. SOPHIE & Kučka), "MUD", "Upgrade"

You'll like it if you like: Flume's riskier work, Jam City, SOPHIE, Arca

chromatics-closer-to-grey.png?zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89&w=600

STREAM

#42.

Chromatics

Closer to Grey

Genre: Dream Pop, Synthpop

Ambient Pop, Art Pop, Synthwave, Trip Hop

Chromatics announced their album Dear Tommy almost 5 years ago, but constantly got delayed until the release seemed like something that would never happen. But finally, on October 2019, they came back with an album. It just wasn't Dear Tommy. But Closer to Grey does stand on its own, with their characteristic 80's aesthetic and sound mixed with a more current dream pop style and some B-horror film vibes — it's an album that flirts with nostalgia but is never overtaken by it.

Highlights: "The Sound of Silence", "You're No Good", "Closer to Grey", "Twist the Knife", "Light as a Feather", "Touch Red"

You'll like it if you like: Beach House, Glass Candy, CHVRCHES, Sade

a0982406275_16.jpg

STREAM

#41.

Blanck Mass

Animated Violence Mild

Genre: Electro-Industrial

Uplifting Trance, Power Noise, Futurepop

Animated Violence Mild, Blanck Mass' fourth album, is extreme in that it is dense and sweeping, doing justice to its title in every way, bringing him closer to noise and even black metal. But it is also extreme in the sense that his most powerful and colorful melodies to date are found here - almost close to trance music, songs like "No Dice" or "Wings of Hate" are dominated by synthesizers that transmit exuberant arpeggios. Blanck Mass manages to convey the feeling of personal grief and distress that inspired the album, and doing so in a very direct way.

Highlights: "House vs. House", "Love Is a Parasite", "No Dice", "Wings of Hate"

You'll like it if you like: **** Buttons, Container, Prurient, Tzusing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.