Womanizer goes Platinum in the UK

Hector

47 minutes ago, Ghiles said:

4 Minutes by Madonna was #9 on the 2008 UK year-end and went Platinum only a few months ago.

Closer by Ne-Yo was #15 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

The Promise by Girls Aloud was #17 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2018.

Disturbia and Take a Bow by Rihanna were top 20 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in 2017 despite her huge streaming power.

All Summer Long by Kid Rock was #19 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

No Air by Chris Brown was #21 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna was top 25 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in 2018.

Did these songs also underperform? :toofunny2:

The digital market wasn't that huge in the UK yet and a lot of 2008 hits stalled at 450k-550k pure sales and only got to Platinum in the last few years thanks to streaming.

Womanizer was top 10 for eight weeks (the same as Shallow btw) and was nearly top 30 on the 2008 year-end despite being released in the last few months of the year. Shallow in the same timeframe made it only to #87 on the 2018 year-end.

Several songs that were above it on the 2008 year-end chart like "That's Not My Name", "Sweet About Me" and "Warwick Avenue" which were as high as #22, #26 and #29 respectively are still certified only GOLD.

Love in This Club by Usher was also higher on the year-end and is still certified GOLD. Hell, Heartbreaker by Cheryl Cole and will.i.am was also higher and it's SILVER. :deadbanana4:

Conclusion: Womanizer did GREAT, it smashed and reached Platinum in the same timeframe as many other 2008 hits which proves that it has solid recurrent streams. Many hits from 2008 will never make it to this threshold.

Furthermore, Britney was the 9th biggest singles artist of 2008 in the UK based on the strength of Womanizer and Piece of Me ALONE.

https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php?51322-UK-Year-End-charts-2000s

The only thing that underperformed was you with this poor attempt at shade.

You can exit this thread now. Bye bye.

Legend :jonny: 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hector

• aaronsmithjune1

• Enoch

• Anticipating

2 hours ago, Ghiles said:

4 Minutes by Madonna was #9 on the 2008 UK year-end and went Platinum only a few months ago.

Closer by Ne-Yo was #15 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

The Promise by Girls Aloud was #17 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2018.

Disturbia and Take a Bow by Rihanna were top 20 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in 2017 despite her huge streaming power.

All Summer Long by Kid Rock was #19 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

No Air by Chris Brown was #21 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in late 2017.

Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna was top 25 on the 2008 UK year-end and only went Platinum in 2018.

The digital market wasn't that huge in the UK yet and a lot of 2008 hits stalled at 450k-550k pure sales and only got to Platinum in the last few years thanks to streaming.

Womanizer was top 10 for eight weeks (the same as Shallow btw) and was nearly top 30 on the 2008 year-end despite being released in the last few months of the year. Shallow in the same timeframe made it only to #87 on the 2018 year-end.

Several songs that were above it on the 2008 year-end chart like "That's Not My Name", "Sweet About Me" and "Warwick Avenue" which were as high as #22, #26 and #29 respectively are still certified only GOLD.

Love in This Club by Usher was also higher on the year-end and is still certified GOLD. Hell, Heartbreaker by Cheryl Cole and will.i.am was also higher and it's SILVER. :deadbanana4:

Conclusion: Womanizer did GREAT, it smashed and reached Platinum in the same timeframe as many other 2008 hits which proves that it has solid recurrent streams. Many hits from 2008 will never make it to this threshold.

Furthermore, Britney was the 9th biggest singles artist of 2008 in the UK based on the strength of Womanizer and Piece of Me ALONE.

Fffff that poor Little Monster really thought :deadbanana4:

OT: A classic :clap3: 

5 hours ago, AlexStexaul said:

pfff so u guys believe another story just as “radio ban” :skull:

i’ve had enough with britney fans and their made up stories to cover underperformance, bye bye.

2 hours ago, Ghiles said:

:ahh: 

@Ghiles clocked.

womanizer is what transcended her legacy into legend status 

4 hours ago, Ghiles said:

Nnnn this is how you properly clock with receipts :clap3:

10 hours ago, AlexStexaul said:

u staying it took 10 years to sell 600k SPS? 

I knew someone was gonna say something like this :ace:

Baby One More Time - 2x Platinum (1,200,000)

Oops!...I Did It Again - Platinum (600,000)

Toxic - Platinum (600,000)

Womanizer - Platinum (600,000)

Scream & Shout - Platinum (600,000)

3.6M units just in Platinum certifications. Oh wow :jonny: 

On 8/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, AlexStexaul said:

u staying it took 10 years to sell 600k SPS? 

20 hours ago, Ghiles said:

:bibliahh:

On 8/16/2019 at 4:59 PM, Ghiles said:

We love a Platinum-certified CLOCK.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, AlexStexaul said:

pfff so u guys believe another story just as “radio ban” :skull:

i’ve had enough with britney fans and their made up stories to cover underperformance, bye bye.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:59 PM, Ghiles said:

BdK15Rk.gif

OT: A SONG! :jonny4:

I think re-certifying songs ten years later due to streaming is pretty pointless. There should be a point where they just stop counting. I am saying this for EVERYONE, not just Britney or any specific artist. 

OT - Did 7 people really have to quote that entire text on this page to add a line of reply?

Edited by taustin13

1 hour ago, taustin13 said:

I think re-certifying songs ten years later due to streaming is pretty pointless. There should be a point where they just stop counting. I am saying this for EVERYONE, not just Britney or any specific artist. 

OT - Did 7 people really have to quote that entire text on this page to add a line of reply?

Your thought process makes no sense - why should they stop certifying a song and measuring its popularity just because it’s no longer being pushed? Catalog stats are the most important thing for artists.

I do think they should have had sales, streams and equivalent unit certifications, though.

Wow i remember how excited i was for her comeback :jonny: 

And i don't really think that that alex guys is smart enough to read all that post :rip: 

9 hours ago, Eternium said:

Your thought process makes no sense - why should they stop certifying a song and measuring its popularity just because it’s no longer being pushed? Catalog stats are the most important thing for artists.

I do think they should have had sales, streams and equivalent unit certifications, though.

LOL, no one is still buying Womanizer the single, please. 

Back in the old days a single would have been "deleted" after a certain time and it would then be no longer available as a single. 

I know things have changed not but count it towards the parent album sure, but announcing in 2019 that a single released in 2008 has gone platinum is completely pointless in my opinion. Who even cares ?

1 hour ago, taustin13 said:

Who even cares ?

you posted here so you cared

11 hours ago, cuneytb said:

And i don't really think that that alex guys is smart enough to read all that post :rip: 

omg :deadbanana2:

aaronsmithjune1
On 8/16/2019 at 4:59 PM, Ghiles said:

Comparing Britney to usher, Neyo, Chris  brown and Rihanna's 4th and last singles. Lol. beyonce scored million sellers. Heck even beyonce 4th single went platinum. 

Halo 1.4 Million 

If I were a boy 1.2 Million 

Single ladies 1.1 million 

Sweet Dreams 600K

I remember being a teenager and editing the video with just the male nude scenes on a loop and masturbating to it

5 hours ago, aaronsmithjune1 said:

Comparing Britney to usher, Neyo, Chris  brown and Rihanna's 4th and last singles. Lol. beyonce scored million sellers. Heck even beyonce 4th single went platinum. 

Halo 1.4 Million 

Sweet Dreams 600K

I looked at the 40 biggest songs of 2008 in the UK. Who cares who the songs are by? The fact that they ranked high on the year-end chart means they were undeniable hits. Including 4 Minutes which was top 10 on the year-end.

Don't Stop the Music was the 2nd biggest hit off GGGB. It was huge. Doesn't matter that it was the 4th single. Shut Up and Drive and the other flop I forgot came and went.

Disturbia was the lead of the re-release. Take a Bow sold almost 10M WW. Don't act like they were random flop singles from the end of an era.

Halo and Sweet Dreams were released well into 2009 and the fact that IIWAB and SL weren't in the top 40 of 2008 means they smashed mostly in 2009 so they benefited from higher sales.

And let's not forget that Beyonce recurrent sales/streams were massive over the years. Her numbers weren't that huge at the time. Britney was #9 of 2008 in single sales and Beyonce was like #16. The UK basically dropped Britney after the media fiasco over X Factor so her sales slowed down.

6 hours ago, aaronsmithjune1 said:

Halo 1.4 Million 

Sweet Dreams 600K

Are you dense or just have nothing to do with your time? :rip:

Congrats Britney! :clap: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.