Espresso

Ghislaine had sex w/ Clooney, tried to recruit Paris Hilton

VOSS

Alan Dershowitz, legal scholar and Harvard Law School professor emeritus, is a fan of “The Good Fight.”

But the famed attorney is preparing to sue ViacomCBS and the producers of the CBS All Access legal drama for referring to him in the final episode of the show’s fourth season as a “shyster” in connection with his representation of the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting sex with underage girls in 2008, committed suicide last year while in federal prison as he awaited trial on new sex trafficking charges.

Dershowitz’s lawyers on July 17 sent a letter to CBS, “Good Fight” co-creators and showrunners Robert King and Michelle King and others connected with the show demanding the CBS All Access stop airing the content in question, a retraction of the statement and a public apology.

“Clearly, the dialogue and the context in which it is made, with words loaded with innuendo such as ‘massage,’ ‘Epstein,’ the ‘Virgin Islands,’ in combination with the word ‘shyster,’ falsely suggests that Professor Dershowitz engaged in sexual conduct, i.e. a ‘massage,’ with an underage girl associated with Epstein, and is crooked, unscrupulous and lying about it, i.e. a ‘shyster,’ ” Ansari wrote.

Jonathan Anschell, ViacomCBS Media Networks executive VP and general counsel responded with a letter sent July 28 that outlined CBS’ defense of the episode and its references to Dershowitz.

“In other words, as one might explain to a small child, the Series, its characters and the things they say are all make-believe. People don’t watch the Series for factual information about Professor Dershowitz or anyone else,” Anschell wrote.

In the episode “The Gang Discovers Who Killed Jeffrey Epstein,” which debuted May 27, fictional criminal defense attorney character Benjamin Dafoe (played by guest star David Alford) is depicted as having previously represented Epstein before Dershowitz.

The episode makes several references to Dershowitz in connection with Epstein. Ansari’s letter focuses on one exchange that the Dafoe character has with lawyers Diane Lockhart (Christine Baranski) and Liz Reddick (Audra McDonald) about losing Epstein as a client. In the most meta-legal sense, the dialogue anticipates real-life legal action from Dershowitz.

“Probably about the time he ditched me for Dershowitz. At least I didn’t get a massage, like that shyster. And for the purposes of any potential lawsuit ‘shyster’ is just my opinion not a statement of fact,” the Dafoe character states.

Dershowitz told Variety that “Good Fight” and other contemporary dramas that weave fictional characters and real-life public figures into their stories are treading on shaky ground when it comes to defamation concerns.

“The idea that a fictional character can get away with defaming somebody is really a new one,” Dershowitz said. “You either have to have an entirely fictional account in which they make up the names of everybody or a truthful account. You can’t mix the genres. When you do mix the genres, the law of defamation applies.”

Ansari’s lawyer notes that the decision to include a “just my opinion” into the Dafoe character’s dialogue only adds to ViacomCBS’  that the show was aware that the statement was defamatory.

“It is indicative that CBS knew the statements were defamatory, yet sought, albeit weakly, to skirt liability, and it is akin to showing ‘a consciousness of guilt,’ ” Ansari wrote.

Anschell’s letter notes that Dershowitz himself has acknowledged that he once received a massage at one of Epstein’s homes. “In fairness, Professor Dershowitz claimed that he ‘kept [his] underwear on during the massage.’ A more benign mental image than what the mind might otherwise conjure, so at least there’s that,” Anschell wrote.

Dershowitz said he will take his battle against “Good Fight” to court if ViacomCBS continues to balk at his demand for an apology and a retraction, even though he is generally a fan of the stylish drama revolving around legal eagles in Chicago. “My family and I have watched it and enjoyed it,” he said.

“I’m an honest and honorable lawyer who represents controversial clients that people don’t like,” Dershowitz said. “Nobody’s going to call me a shyster and get away with it. If the people at CBS are decent people they will issue an apology and withdraw the episode or that part of the episode. If they don’t I’ll see them in court.”

Source

ClashAndBurn
8 hours ago, Espresso said:

Of course he'd deny what's clearly in flight logs. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" indeed.

Hillary should be ashamed of herself for enabling this. This **** is completely on her too.

VOSS

B'Day

:clap3: although I hope this statement does not eradicate or question any black girls who were actually a victim of Epstein’s rape 

VOSS

Espresso

How the new celeb stories haven't gotten more attention I have no idea :ace: 

It wasn't just the jet photos :coffee2: 

Edited by Espresso

Espresso

Ari29
18 hours ago, Espresso said:

How the new celeb stories haven't gotten more attention I have no idea :ace: 

It wasn't just the jet photos :coffee2: 

Is this in the daily beast and ny post article in the OP?

Espresso
32 minutes ago, Ari29 said:

Is this in the daily beast and ny post article in the OP?

It is

MONSTER NAVY
On 7/25/2020 at 5:51 AM, Zack said:

The Queen has sovereign immunity which means she is unable to be extradited or charged with any crime. However that privilege is only for her and doesn't extend to the rest of the family. 

Prince Andrew is still styled as His Royal Highness however. When an HRH travels abroad they do so as a representative of the United Kingdom so in almost all circumstances they would be entitled to diplomatic immunity. If whatever reason he was abroad and was arrested, he would likely be immune from prosecution. 

Any members of the Royal Family holding HRH status can also not be sued for civil matters. 

But importantly, an HRH (or other members of the Royal House) cannot be arrested while in "the Queen's presence" and this includes at any Royal palace (whether the Queen is there at the time or not), which means, as long as Prince Andrew stays holed up in one of Mummy's palaces, he can't be touched, except by permission of the Queen. 

i hope she doesn't let him get arrested. so everyone riots to get rid of the entire royal family. and then he can be finally put in jail for life. 

the british are fed up with their tax money going to funding the royal family. it's disgusting how andrew used some of this money to pay for underage sex im sure

Espresso
31 minutes ago, MONSTER NAVY said:

i hope she doesn't let him get arrested. so everyone riots to get rid of the entire royal family. and then he can be finally put in jail for life. 

the british are fed up with their tax money going to funding the royal family. it's disgusting how andrew used some of this money to pay for underage sex im sure

Is there substantial recent polling on this though?

MONSTER NAVY
9 hours ago, Espresso said:

Is there substantial recent polling on this though?

i live in the uk and everyone hates that family here. everyone wants them gone. the only people who like the royal family are the foreigners who pose in front of the palace. 

everyone else wants them to go. they do nothing for the country. 

VOSS

Shadowed by his longtime association with accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, ex-Victoria’s Secret CEO Les Wexner has been dragged into bitter litigation about the scandal by attorney Alan Dershowitz.

Often cited as a key source of Epstein’s fortune, Wexner installed Epstein as a trustee of his eponymous foundation in 1991 and granted him power of attorney when the latter was a little-known money manager. 

The reason for Wexner’s trust in and professional association with Epstein has long been unclear, and executives for Victoria’s Secrets’ parent company L Brands reportedly raised alarms decades ago that Epstein abused his position by posing as a recruiter to exploit young models.

No sooner did Wexner enter the fight than he contradicted the legal defense Dershowitz is asserting against a prominent Epstein accuser. 

Three letters released on Monday could throw Wexner’s association with Epstein into the public glare. In one, Wexner’s legal team appears to undermine one of Dershowitz’s central claims against his prominent accuser Virginia Giuffre.

After Giuffre accused Dershowitz of sexually abusing her, the Harvard professor drew a defamation suit for calling her a “certified, complete, total liar.”

Dershowitz sought Wexner’s evidence for his countersuit in which he claims Giuffre has a history of extorting prominent men in the dead pedophile’s circle — among them, Wexner.  

Depicting Giuffre’s lawsuit as an elaborate extortion scam, Dershowitz’s attorney Howard Cooper issued broad subpoenas to the billionaire Wexner and Wexner’s attorney John Zeiger, who swiftly contradicted the Harvard professor’s theory.

“Mr. Zeiger did have communications with Mr. Boies and can readily confirm that: no extortion demand was ever made, no settlement was entered into, and not a penny (or other consideration) was ever paid,” Marion Little, from the firm Zeiger, Tigges & Little, wrote in a 4-page letter.

“Just the opposite is true for Mr. Wexner, however,” the letter continues. “He had no involvement, and thus lacks any personal knowledge relating to, [Dershowitz]’s so-called ‘Extortion Claim.’” 

For Giuffre and her lawyers, Wexner’s flat denial is powerful support of their lawsuit against Dershowitz and hobbles the professor’s countersuit. 

“Dershowitz’s assertion that there was an extortion attempt was a smokescreen,” Boies said in the interview. “It was always a smokescreen. There was never any evidence of it at all. And now, we have confirmation from the source that was supposedly extorted, that there’s no extortion. This is devastating to Dershowitz.” 

Known for representing the gay couples who overturned California’s Proposition 8 in 2010, Boies has found himself locked in one of the legal community’s most storied feuds since naming Dershowitz in a court filing half a decade ago.

Dershowitz went to war with the chairman of firm Boies, Schiller & Flexner for accusing him of sexually abusing his client, filing a bar complaint that has since been dismissed, as well as active litigation in Manhattan.

“I think the people who’ve been following this understood that what Dershowitz was doing was simply trying to distract attention from his own misconduct,” Boies commented. “But, having said that, I’ve got to be vindicated and feel vindicated, now that you have clear proof that the charges that Dershowitz was recklessly making simply were unfounded.” 

In an email to Courthouse News, Dershowitz characterized Wexner’s denials as predictable and not credible.

“Extorted individuals almost always deny they were extorted because they don’t want the public to know they were accused of the wrongdoing that is the basis of the extortion,” Dershowitz wrote. “We have hard evidence that Boies accused Wexner of sexual improprieties with Guiffre including making her wear Victoria’s Secret lingerie while having sex. We have hard evidence that Boies met with Wexner’s lawyers, who called their demands a ‘shakedown.'” 

In the past, Dershowitz sought to introduce a telephone recording with Boies that he claims supports that position.

“We will prove it at trial,” Dershowitz added. “Their denials are mere PR.”

Because the Dershowitz affair turned so personal and acrimonious, a federal judge ejected Boies from Giuffre’s defamation case to avoid any conflict of interest. 

As the sex-trafficking saga unfolds in criminal court, civil litigation and the quest for compensation from the disgraced financier’s estate in the U.S. Virgin Islands, however, Boies continues to represent a dozen women who count themselves as Epstein survivors.

There may be more developments up ahead for Wexner, too, now that Dershowitz and Giuffre both have requested his deposition and evidence.  

Wexner has been trying to distance himself from the wrangling, agreeing to produce information only under a strict protective order. 

Even if Wexner had the requested information, his counsel claims that Dershowitz sought it for an improper purpose. 

Arguing that any evidence should be subject to a protective order, Wexner’s counsel cited a tweet by The Miami Herald’s Julie Brown drawing their client further into the Epstein scandal. 

“Alan Dershowitz’s attorney confirms that his client has access to Virginia Giuffre’s sealed depositions,” Brown tweeted on June 23, referring to a revelation from a hearing on that day. “Those depositions reveal that she was directed by Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with former Israeli PM Ehud Barak & Victoria’s Secret’s Les Wexner.” 

For Wexner’s counsel, this showed the need for an enforcement mechanism for contempt of court for the leak of information “given the public and toxic-fashion in which your client has sought to litigate his disputes with Ms. Giuffre.” 

Wexner’s attorneys did not respond to requests for comment.

Wexner said he severed ties with Epstein in 2007, the year of the disgraced financier’s guilty plea to soliciting prostitution of a minor.  

Following Epstein’s sex-trafficking indictment more than a decade later, Wexner claimed that the dead pedophile swiped “vast sums” of money from his fortune. The clothing tycoon stepped down as a L Brands chairman earlier this year. 

Source