Was One Sweet Day as big as OTR and Despacito?

DemDam92

So,

Despacito and OTR which likely will break the record of our beloved chanteuse Mariah Mimi Carey were/are huge hits.

One Sweet Day managed to stay #1 for 16 weeks just like Despacito.

Any gays here on ATRL who were witnessing the years when One Sweet Day was #1?

Did the song feel as big back then as OTR and Despacito now?

As a lamb I can’t really imagine that.

I remember We Belong Together ( I was very young though, I’m still very young yes yes :fan:) being played everywhere, such a smash hit.

but what about One Sweet Day? Anyone coming from these times? :psyduck:

I was drinking baby formula at that time, but I remember my aunt telling me that it had a lot of press back then because the two biggest artist at that time were singing a song together. 

She also said Mariah was known to use other artist to leverage the songs success ala Ed Sheeran. I mean internet wasnt really popular back then but it got heavy replays in MTV. 

I guess it was one of those hits that people know because it got played a lot in radio and MTV but thats just about it. After the songs success only pop fans and lambs really use that song outside of funeral homes. 

13 minutes ago, Dragonfury said:

After the songs success only pop fans and lambs really use that song outside of funeral homes. 

:rip: 

Yes.. And it still get played on radio

Sure

One of the best selling singles of that time. Also helped Mariah’s daydream album scan diamond

Well you guys have to remember that One Sweet Day is about the funeral of her friends. Its a great song and during the time it was released they have played it, but why would the radios play a funeral song after so many years? Its a bit depressing tbh. If it was a love song i would maybe expect a huge hit like that to be played forever, but its a funeral song.

I have a feeling it wasnt but was much more due to hype from Mariah and Boyz ll Men being on a track together. 

It’s still played on radio, is huge in black American households, and the readers Billboard poll called it the best collab of all time. 

lol only in US. 

Despacito was a Global Smash Hit... GLOBAL. :cm:

In the US definitely

It’s weird that it has the record when there are much more iconic and more referenced songs from the 90’s. Probably just got lucky with the timing. 

OSD was huge back in the day. You guys are really pushing hard this narrative of downplaying OSD's success. I mean, we're hardly 3 years past Depsacito and that sh*t is hardly remembered..now let's wait for Old Town Road. I'm SURE no one will remember that 2 years down the line. 

Nah. Despacito is damn big, like the video is about to snatch 6.5 billion views and it'll probably be the first to hit 10 billion :jonny:

It was the peak of Mariah and the peak of B2M which were the biggest acts of the 90s. I don't know if anyone has a clue how giant they were.

Who knows? I was born around when it had left all the charts. I guess not since it's never played here?

2 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Nah. Despacito is damn big, like the video is about to snatch 6.5 billion views and it'll probably be the first to hit 10 billion :jonny:

but we cant use YT as a way to compare Despacito to OSD two complete different eras. 

It’s literally a funeral classic that I’ve heard at just about EVERY nonwhite funeral I’ve been to. 

1 hour ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

but we cant use YT as a way to compare Despacito to OSD two complete different eras. 

Lol yes we can, just like you can post receipts of how OSD performed in whatever metrics were relevant in that era,its really up to us to judge how impressive it was for that time :cm:

25 minutes ago, RainDreamer said:

Lol yes we can, just like you can post receipts of how OSD performed in whatever metrics were relevant in that era,its really up to us to judge how impressive it was for that time :cm:

But you are comparing the both of them hits. Not other hits from their respective eras. 

Definitely huge. Imagine debuting at #1 and staying there for 16 weeks :rip:

it was the 2 biggest US artists of the 90s, during their peak eras, on a track together.

it was a big deal

"In order to help break the record for the longest running number-one song ever, Columbia records encouraged a rush of sales in the early weeks by giving out free copies to stores reporting to Soundscan or by offering them four singles for the price of one. Stores could then put "One Sweet Day" on sale for 49 to 99 cents, more than $2 below the average price of a single"

I'd say that OTR and Despacito are more organic and bigger. When the Hot 100 was basically a radio chart with label tactics it was less reflective.

Yes, they are even bigger. OSD doesn't feel like 16 week #1, however, Mariah's AIWFCIY deserves 20 weeks alone. A classic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.