Billboard Charts (March 26-April 1, 2017)

iHype.

26 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

I think it says "Gotta have contigo", not "Para have"...

Either way is TRAGIC and not needed!

I can't believe "Heavydirtysoul" never debuted on the Hot100... Serves them right for paying dust to the masterpiece that is "Doubt".

I just gave it a quick listen and I think it indeed says Para have, I can hear the "P" very clearly but yeah not like it really matters it's terrible.

And I do wish Heavydirtysoul at least debuted but it was a very bad choice; after they had already released Stressed Out and Ride which are the strong songs on Blurryface and had already tried with Tear In My Heart which is an obvious attempt at having a pop radio friendly song on the album, I was surprised that they even decided to release another single, especially after releasing Heathens it was a surprise that they went back to releasing singles from the album but the problem is why did they went with Heavydirtysoul after releasing three fantastic and strong singles? I knew the era was about to be over when that was announced, it's not even close to the previous singles in terms of potential.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• DELE2125

• iHype.

1 minute ago, ahdm said:

I just gave it a quick listen and I think it indeed says Para have, I can hear the "P" very clearly but yeah not like it really matters it's terrible.

And I do wish Heavydirtysoul at least debuted but it was a very bad choice; after they had already released Stressed Out and Ride which are the strong songs on Blurryface and had already tried with Tear In My Heart which is an obvious attempt at having a pop radio friendly song on the album, I was surprised that they even decided to release another single, especially after releasing Heathens it was a surprise that they went back to releasing singles from the album but the problem is why did they went with Heavydirtysoul after releasing three fantastic and strong singles? I knew the era was about to be over when that was announced, it's not even close to the previous singles in terms of potential.

Ikr, they had "Lane Boy", "Doubt", "Polarize". All potential hits and they decided for the non-event that is "Heavydirtysoul".

I also remember that during the Christmas' boost "Doubt" was the highest selling non-single... So they didn't take the hint :rip:

1 hour ago, ahdm said:

I totally forgot about Rompe, it did very well, I just looked it up and saw that it peaked at #24

And yeah is true, those songs had an english version so Despacito would be the first one in 12 years, it truly is such a global hit; btw I have a question for those living on the US, the english version of Bailando was the popular one? is that the one that was played on the radio, clubs etc. most of the time.

Yes, absolutely. You'd never hear any radio stations (except for Latin stations, of course) spin the Spanish version. I couldn't imagine that happening with any song– which is why Despacito will likely fail to accrue significant airplay if the label doesn't service an English version to stations.

On 3/26/2017 at 3:10 PM, thedastardly said:

5 days to If You're Reading This  :cm:

Don't know why people are whining about streams in 2017. It's a sign of popularity/consumption, which is the point of the chart. If It didn't exist he'd make up for it in sales. 

i think the issue is having each individual song chart ruins the point of having a Hot 100 vs Album 200. of course the streams should count towards the album, but it ruins the idea of hot 100 being mainly for singles.

Heavydirtysoul flopped because it's atrocious, and this is coming from someone who adores TØP and has seen them in concert. Doubt or Lane Boy would have done far better. Certainly not even Ride-level success, but I could see either reaching about #15. 

13 hours ago, DELE2125 said:

Ikr, they had "Lane Boy", "Doubt", "Polarize". All potential hits and they decided for the non-event that is "Heavydirtysoul".

I also remember that during the Christmas' boost "Doubt" was the highest selling non-single... So they didn't take the hint :rip:

I agree that Heavydirtysoul wasn't a tremendous single choice, but I doubt anything they could have released would have done remotely as well as Heathens, simply due to the longevity of the latter. It's #18 on alternative radio, #30 on HAC, and #35 on pop. And that's right now– several months ago, when they were stressing out over the single choice, it was even higher.

Puns aside, they've maintained their ubiquity even without a single doing well. Their fanbase is rabid and still growing. I don't see Heavydirtysoul's failure to make a mark as detrimental to their career in any way. A decent comparison to this situation is Imagine Dragons's On Top Of The World, which was also a final single from an album that did exceptionally well by a breakout alternative act. The song did poorly, peaking at #79. But the relative success of Believer–the current alternative #1–bolsters the idea that OTOTW's performance didn't end up mattering a whole lot. Moreover, hip-hop influences are quite prevalent in TØP's music, whereas they're practically nonexistent in ID's. That should assist them in retaining their relevancy. 

1 hour ago, iHype. said:

Passionfruit debuted at #2 on Canadian Hot 100

:deadbanana3: 

King! :clap3:

1 hour ago, alexanderao said:

I agree that Heavydirtysoul wasn't a tremendous single choice, but I doubt anything they could have released would have done remotely as well as Heathens, simply due to the longevity of the latter. It's #18 on alternative radio, #30 on HAC, and #35 on pop. And that's right now– several months ago, when they were stressing out over the single choice, it was even higher.

Puns aside, they've maintained their ubiquity even without a single doing well. Their fanbase is rabid and still growing. I don't see Heavydirtysoul's failure to make a mark as detrimental to their career in any way. A decent comparison to this situation is Imagine Dragons's On Top Of The World, which was also a final single from an album that did exceptionally well by a breakout alternative act. The song did poorly, peaking at #79. But the relative success of Believer–the current alternative #1–bolsters the idea that OTOTW's performance didn't end up mattering a whole lot. Moreover, h-hip-hop influences are quite prevalent in TØP's music, whereas they're practically nonexistent in ID's. That should assist them in retaining their relevancy. 

Stressing out is a great pun lol. Since 21 Pilots is a Christian group, HDS was a good single choice.

13 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Yes, absolutely. You'd never hear any radio stations (except for Latin stations, of course) spin the Spanish version. I couldn't imagine that happening with any song– which is why Despacito will likely fail to accrue significant airplay if the label doesn't service an English version to stations.

That's what I always thought but then I heard some people from the US saying that they hated the english version but loved the spanish one and everyone agreed so I was confused, thanks for the answer.

14 hours ago, DELE2125 said:

Really? I didn't know that

Heavydirtysould is fine, I like it and is a good album but that's it, it shouldn't have been a single.

I am still overall very happy with how the era went, the only thing that bugs me is that Lane Boy couldn't live to it's potential, that one could've been huge.

2 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Puns aside, they've maintained their ubiquity even without a single doing well. Their fanbase is rabid and still growing. I don't see Heavydirtysoul's failure to make a mark as detrimental to their career in any way. A decent comparison to this situation is Imagine Dragons's On Top Of The World, which was also a final single from an album that did exceptionally well by a breakout alternative act. The song did poorly, peaking at #79. But the relative success of Believer–the current alternative #1–bolsters the idea that OTOTW's performance didn't end up mattering a whole lot. Moreover, hip-hop influences are quite prevalent in TØP's music, whereas they're practically nonexistent in ID's. That should assist them in retaining their relevancy. 

I agree that no matter what they had released it wouldn't have done as well as Heathens or even close but if they were going to release another single why release Heavydirtysoul when there are at least three songs that are much better options?

I also agree on your second statement; it doesn't really annoy me because I know TØP's career won't be truly affected by this, they already had a big and loyal fanbase and with this era it grew inmensely and now they have major mainstream recognition, that's good and a poor final single won't take that away.

I think Imagine Dragons' case was different, did they even send OTOTW to Pop radio? I remember it being on Modern rock and then like half a year later barely debuting on Pop radio top 50 but I don't think it was properly sent and treated as a single, it also had already sell a lot and it still got crazy longevity, something that Heavydirtysoul can't match.

33 minutes ago, ahdm said:

Really? I didn't know that

Heavydirtysould is fine, I like it and is a good album but that's it, it shouldn't have been a single.

I am still overall very happy with how the era went, the only thing that bugs me is that Lane Boy couldn't live to it's potential, that one could've been huge.

I agree that no matter what they had released it wouldn't have done as well as Heathens or even close but if they were going to release another single why release Heavydirtysoul when there are at least three songs that are much better options?

I also agree on your second statement; it doesn't really annoy me because I know TØP's career won't be truly affected by this, they already had a big and loyal fanbase and with this era it grew inmensely and now they have major mainstream recognition, that's good and a poor final single won't take that away.

I think Imagine Dragons' case was different, did they even send OTOTW to Pop radio? I remember it being on Modern rock and then like half a year later barely debuting on Pop radio top 50 but I don't think it was properly sent and treated as a single, it also had already sell a lot and it still got crazy longevity, something that Heavydirtysoul can't match.

OTOTW's longevity was helped by the fact that it was synched in several commercials (including, I believe, a spot for a car manufacturer). I'm fairly sure it went sent to HAC but not pop— someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong, though. 

I definitely would have released Lane Boy if I were them, yeah.

BILLBOARD HOT 100:

New Peaks:

#16 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road

#21 Zedd ft. Alessia Cara - Stay

#30 Post Malone ft. Quavo - Congratulations

#32 Khalid - Location

#52 Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee - Despacito

#67 Brett Young - In Case You Didn't Know

New Entries:

#8 Drake - Passionfruit

#9 Drake ft. Quavo & Travis Scott - Portland

#18 Drake - Free Smoke

#29 Drake - Gyalchester

#35 Drake - Teenage Fever

#36 Drake ft. 2 Chainz & Young Thug - Sacrifices

#38 Drake - Blem

#40 Drake ft. Giggs - No Long Talk

#45 Drake ft. Jorja Smith & Black Coffee - Get It Together

#48 Drake ft. Giggs - KMT

#49 Drake - Jorja Interlude

#50 Drake ft. Sampha - 4422

#51 Drake - Madiba Riddim

#54 Drake ft. Kanye West - Glow

#60 Drake - Do Not Disturb

#61 Drake - Nothings Into Somethings

#62 Drake ft. Young Thug - Ice Melts

#64 Drake - Lose You

#70 Drake ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR - Since Way Back

#76 Drake - Skepta Interlude

#82 Drake - Can't Have Everything

#88 Machine Gun Kelly ft. Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best

#97 Rick Ross ft. Young Thug & Wale - Trap Trap Trap

#98 Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla

Re-Entries:

-----

Drop-Outs:

39 weeks: twenty one pilots - Heathens

28 weeks: Aminé - Caroline

27 weeks: Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane - Black Beatles

20 weeks: Little Big Town - Better Man

19 weeks: PnB Rock - Selfish

18 weeks: Shakira ft. Maluma - Chantaje

11 weeks: Bebe Rexha - I Got You

11 weeks: Chris Young ft. Vince Grill - Sober Saturday Night

11 weeks: Brad Paisley - Today

9 weeks: Dwayne Johnson - You're Welcome

7 weeks: Dierks Bentley - Black

6 weeks: Migos ft. Gucci Mane - Slippery

5 weeks: Kelsea Ballerini - Yeah Boy

5 weeks: Nicky Jam - El Amante

3 weeks: Future ft. Drake - Comin Out Strong

3 weeks: Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa - Scared To Be Lonely

2 weeks: Ed Sheeran - Dive

2 weeks: Ed Sheeran - Happier

2 weeks: 2 Chainz X Gucci Mane X Quavo - Good Drank

1 week: Nicki Minaj - Regret In Your Tears

1 week: Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne - Changed It

1 week: Frank Ocean - Chanel

1 week: Lorde - Liability

1 week: 6Lack - Prblms

Biggest Jumps:

+ 16 Drake - Fake Love (#31 - #15)

+ 9 Keith Urban ft. Carrie Underwood - The Fighter (#87 - #78)

+ 6 Zedd ft. Alessia Cara - Stay (#27 - #21)

+ 3 Khalid - Location (#35 - #32)

+ 2 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (#18 - #16)

+ 2 Post Malone ft. Quavo - Congratulations (#32 - #30)

+ 1 ZAYN ft. Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#4 - #3)

+ 1 The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#8 - #7)

+ 1 Migos - T-Shirt (#26 - #25)

+ 1 Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee - Despacito (#53 - #52)

+ 1 Brett Young - In Case You Didn't Know (#68 - #67)

Biggest Falls:

- 70 Nicki Minaj ft. Drake & Lil Wayne - No Frauds (#14 - #84)

- 34 Ed Sheeran - Perfect (#60 - #94)

- 27 Michael Ray - Think A Little Less (#54 - #81)

- 26 Lorde - Green Light (#39 - #65)

- 26 Noah Cyrus ft. Labrinth - Make Me (Cry) (#47 - #73)

- 26 Future ft. Rihanna - Selfish (#59 - #85)

- 26 Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (#63 - #89)

- 25 Starley - Call On Me (#75 - #90)

- 24 Alessia Cara - How Far I'll Go (#76 - #100)

- 23 J. Cole - Deja Vu (#57 - #80)

Most Weeks In Top 100:

46 weeks: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop  The Feeling!

34 weeks: The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer

33 weeks: DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You

30 weeks: Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful

27 weeks: Shawn Mendes - Mercy

27 weeks: The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy

24 weeks: Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

24 weeks: Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar - Don't Wanna Know

23 weeks: Rihanna - Love On The Brain

38 minutes ago, FanOfPop said:

BILLBOARD HOT 100:

New Peaks:

#16 Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road

This is such an incredible success for a country (pop) artist! All without a video!

42 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

OTOTW's longevity was helped by the fact that it was synched in several commercials (including, I believe, a spot for a car manufacturer). I'm fairly sure it went sent to HAC but not pop— someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong, though. 

Yeah, I remember that OTOTW was used plenty of times on the media, I just looked it up and right now it's at #976 on iTunes, their longevity that era is amazing, afterall they have the Hot 100 record which is now almost unbreakable with the new rule.

They never sent Lane Boy to any radio format, did they?

4 hours ago, iHype. said:

Oh wow.

1 hour ago, FanOfPop said:

Biggest Falls:

- 70 Nicki Minaj ft. Drake & Lil Wayne - No Frauds (#14 - #84)

4 hours ago, iHype. said:

:jonny3:

All those Drake entries that ruins the chart :rip:

As a twenty one pilots-non fan (casual listener you may say) I loved Heavydirtysoul, even more than Stressed Out, Heathens and Ride. So I don't know what their fans are talking about. I listened to "Doubt" and it's pretty bad at first listening. "Lane Boy" is cool but should end at 2.40, after that it gets useless. I liked "Polarized" the most but screams as album track, not single material at all.

So no, HDS was the right choice and if it flopped (I don't really know/care), others would have flopped harder.

Edited by Losing my ground

1 hour ago, ahdm said:

Yeah, I remember that OTOTW was used plenty of times on the media, I just looked it up and right now it's at #976 on iTunes, their longevity that era is amazing, afterall they have the Hot 100 record which is now almost unbreakable with the new rule.

They never sent Lane Boy to any radio format, did they?

You are right. That record lost a lot of its meaning after the unfortunate implementation of 25/52.

Lane Boy was never a single.

18 hours ago, DELE2125 said:

I think it says "Gotta have contigo", not "Para have"...

Either way is TRAGIC and not needed!

I can't believe "Heavydirtysoul" never debuted on the Hot100... Serves them right for paying dust to the masterpiece that is "Doubt".

Oh finally someone who appreciates Doubt. :cries: 

And yeah HDS is my favorite 21P song I think. Hear it a ton of SiriusXM.

5 hours ago, DejaVu said:

i think the issue is having each individual song chart ruins the point of having a Hot 100 vs Album 200. of course the streams should count towards the album, but it ruins the idea of hot 100 being mainly for singles.

The conversation for singles vs songs chart is well removed since the policy change in Dec 1998. Maybe they'll lessen the impact since streaming is a different monster than cuts getting enough airplay to chart, but right now this kind of domination is still somewhat an anomaly to the Drakes, Taylors, etc. 

On March 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Émotif Fool said:

I feel like Harry's debut single will be polarizing like this town by nial. I'm ready for it to be released on Thursday and only have one day of tracking so Ed can continue :alexz:

This Town was polarizing. Just plain bland. Niall better come correct next time.

Still pressed over how they keep snubbing Doubt. :grump: Heavydirtysoul is alright but it's really not on the same level. I saw its floppage coming the minute they announced its single treatment. 

2 hours ago, alexanderao said:

"On Top Of The World" did pretty well in sales too. It's over 1M copies, which is great for any final single. Especially after all the copies Night Visions moved and after two monster hits like "Radioactive" (8M) and "Demons" (5M).

"Lane Boy" was an assured hit. Just looking at its sales and its YT streams (the most out of all the non-singles, even better than "Flop In My Heart"). I don't understand how didn't they pushed that. :michael: