'13 Reasons Why' correlated with teen suicide rise: study

Espresso

I think this fake news IMO. There's too many other factors that were/are occuring at the same time as the show. If they really wanted to see if the show was the direct cause, they should've act suicide survivors if they did watch the show and if it was some sort of motivation to do it. 

:rip: 

this reminds me of the video game makes kids violent argument, it only affects the kids that are already messed up mentally ....

7 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

This don’t make sense I’m sorry, blaming a TV show really??? 

:clap3: 

45seconds
10 minutes ago, Roxas said:

This show is trash, whoever greenlit this is a fool.

Whoever green lit it a genius. It’s top 5 easily amongst their most watched OGs. It’s trashy and I hate it but still. 

wesleywalrus

i dont want to be insensitive, but if youre killing yourself over a tv show, something else wouldve likely done the same thing. tv shows arent responsible for mental and chemical imbalances.

Kim Kardashian
28 minutes ago, godmess said:

no correlation, NEXT.

Literally false, but ok.

16 minutes ago, DuffLavigne said:

Causation does not imply correlation.

You mean correlation does not imply causation.

The show was WARNED by charities that its approach to the topic would lead to an increase in suicide.

So whilst this does not tell us 13RW is certainly the cause, it is worth discussing.

2 minutes ago, Kim Kardashian said:

Literally false, but ok.

The show was WARNED by charities that its approach to the topic would lead to an increase in suicide.

So whilst this does not tell us 13RW is certainly the cause, it is worth discussing.

^^^^^^^^^^

FefeDobson

i thought the show was really good, BUT it really made me feel uncomfortable and uneasy throughout many parts. i've had very positive mental health my entire life and this show even made me feel very emotionally drained. i can see how it would impact somebody with mental health issues, but someone like that clearly shouldn't be watching this show as it is. 

Selena’s Bad Liar
1 minute ago, Javan said:

Selena has got blood on her hands. she will pay 4 this

She didn’t even show up to set :rip:

She just has the rights to the book and sold it to Netflix, that’s why she’s credited 

Alsemanche
48 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I think this fake news IMO. There's too many other factors that were/are occuring at the same time as the show. If they really wanted to see if the show was the direct cause, they should've act suicide survivors if they did watch the show and if it was some sort of motivation to do it. 

nobody said "cause." Next.

12 minutes ago, Kim Kardashian said:

Literally false, but ok.

2 minutes ago, Alsemanche said:

nobody said "cause." Next.

As someone said on the main thread :cm:

4 hours ago, pavi said:

I don't know if there are any examples from other countries, but one of the biggest Dutch newspapers dedicated an online fact check article to this research, called 'Did 13 Reasons Why really cause a suicide peak in the USA?'. You can find it here, but it's in Dutch of course: https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/veroorzaakte-de-serie-13-reasons-why-echt-een-zelfmoordpiek-in-amerika~b27f67ab/

They basically conclude that the claim is not well backed up by the researchers. The increase in suicide rates already started a month before the series started and only involves boys, while copying behaviour usually requires deep recognition. After the series started however, the suicide rates among girls even dropped a little. A Dutch statistics professor calls the research 'a perfect example of how statistics doesn't work', stating the researchers were fishing for results by dividing their data in too many small groups. Besides that there's another research that came out last week that claims the exact opposite and found that after the series started 15 to 29 year olds had less self destructive thoughts and they were more inclined to help somebody with self destructive thoughts than before.

Thoughts?:cm:

Alsemanche
2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

As someone said on the main thread :cm:

You're just providing more correlation studies lol my point still stands.

For example, the study used a quasi-experimental design, meaning that the researchers cannot make a causal link between the release of “13 Reasons Why” and the observed changes in suicide rates. 

Oh.

11 minutes ago, Selena’s Bad Liar said:

She didn’t even show up to set :rip:

She just has the rights to the book and sold it to Netflix, that’s why she’s credited 

She’s an exec producer

3 minutes ago, éclat said:

28.9% is a lot :dancehall3: maybe they should advertise suicide helplines before and after the show.

The show wasn't a direct reason of it. The way the article is phrasing it isn't helping. It was already on an increase before the show even aired. There was a study released a week earlier proving that it has the opposite effect and people actually reached out to help someone else.

DuffLavigne

I just love how people try to get this show cancelled but won't spend time doing anything else that will actually help stop teen suicide :rip: 

Archived