Madonna

Alongoria13

• #FreeBritney Activist
GlamSlam

Just seen this on page 1. Did Steven Klein give her a wedgie before he took this shot? :rip:

madonna_5.jpg

• Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArtForFreedom

• Alongoria13

• Lover

• Chris

Top Posters In This Topic

ArtForFreedom
1 hour ago, GlamSlam said:

Just seen this on page 1. Did Steven Klein give her a wedgie before he took this shot? :rip:

madonna_5.jpg

Sticky and Sweet 

FMvnqM.gif

8 hours ago, Electric Youth said:

The fact that whoever wrote this article prectided her rise. I mean, star potential, not everyone has that

gucci.thumb.jpg.2353ed7e82f1f8dbb0c4e314

the first and last REAL pop qurl. no basiqué bishes allowed.

9a7f756e69a46bdd60a598b681a0a58a16246402.gifv

love it when she reads sh** like that. :alexz3:

Sergi91
52 minutes ago, Lover said:

the first and last REAL pop qurl. no basiqué bishes allowed.

9a7f756e69a46bdd60a598b681a0a58a16246402.gifv

love it when she reads sh** like that. :alexz3:

We love to see it 

LikeaRebel
12 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

madonna_5.jpg

:deadbanana:

A German online music review site released a retrospective about ROL as part of their "Milestone series", in which they review albums that are essential for music in general and should be known by every music fan, regardless of preferred genre. X

It's titled "The rebirth of Madonna" and although they refer to ROL as her "fourth album" I think it's quite nice since the review is written for music fans in general who may not know a lot about the genre/artist/album, yet it scaptures the essence of what and why ROL means so much to me. They also did one for LAP a couple of years ago.

Here a rough translation:

Spoiler

The cover of "Ray Of Light" looks as beautiful as a Botticelli painting. Madonna Ciccone gives the viewer a mysterious look, almost shy and vulnerable. Unusual for the artist, who previously appeared extremely self-confident and also liked to be provocative.

(...)

[In the 90s she] lost more and more of her relevance in musical terms. It was exactly the right moment to rethink everything. The birth of her first child, Lourdes, provided the impetus for a new direction, also in private terms. The need to be constantly in the spotlight now receded into the background for this little person.

"I traded fame for love without a second thought / It all became a silly game, some things cannot be bought / I got exactly what I asked for, wanted it so badly / Running, rushing, back for more, I suffered fools so gladly / And now I find, I've changed my mind" it says in the first song to "Ray Of Light". On the albums before there were still crisp announcements like "Papa Don't Preach", now a reckoning with their own role and the search for true fulfillment introduced the fourth album.

Not only the views sounded retread, also a calm downtempo sound displaced the memory of their squeaky teenage anthems like "Holiday". The voice now sounded more mature and above all more thoughtful, the almost spherical sound of producer William Orbit mixed as unobtrusively as possible into the background. The decision for the oddball Brit, who preferred to work on nerdy dance ambient projects and did not enjoy a classical music education, proved to be a great stroke of luck. As on the follow-up "Music," Madonna brought a congenial partner into the studio to flesh out the bold song ideas.

"Frozen" combined the hard industrial beats of Nine Inch Nails with a majestic soundtrack feeling. Even though the number has lost extreme appeal today due to constant airplay on local radio, it sounded very progressive for a mainstream act in 1998.

(...)

The great strength of "Ray Of Light" remains its absolutely organic sound, which the dream team Madonna, Orbit and Marius De Vries let flow seamlessly into each other. It rather follows the logic of a dance concept album that slowly drives the pulse with cleverly interspersed samples and beats and wants to connect in the clubs instead of stadiums.

"Skin" or "Shanti / Ashtangi", which appropriately means rest/restlessness for the album, sound like songs from Underworld and soak up everything that makes up the pulse of new electronic music in the trend capital London at that very moment. The revival of Sixties music also brings back the sound of Indian music into the British music canon and is considered hip again. Also "Swim" connects the psychedelic past of Swingin London with the sound of the end of the century, likewise one hears clearly a "Strawberry Fields" quotation in "Candy Perfume Girl".

Such games with styles may be completely normal today, but were daring and new in the pop mainstream back then. The desire to play risky dispels the cramped search for a radio hit. Music writer Rob Sheffield is absolutely right when he would hardly give this album a chance in today's world, even if thanks to Billie Eilish a downtempo in the mainstream sets in again. "Ray Of Light" is not an album for playlist skips and instant hooks, because it still comes from an album era where still the listening habit outside of streaming overload gave such an experiment the chance. Almost 45 seconds before the vocals even kick in on "Drowned World" is hardly possible in the current mainstream sound. Surprisingly few songs on "Ray Of Light" were big hits, while the album went over the counter 16 million times.

The last song, "Mer Girl," is enveloped only by a haunting stripped-down atmosphere. In a meditative calm, Madonna reflects almost in poem form on transience and especially the death of her mother. Perhaps the most intimate and reduced song reveals the soul world of Madonna, who until then liked to use eternally youthful pop illusion as a shield. (...) The escape from herself remained with Madonna with "Ray Of Light" for a moment. (...)

Edited by The Next Day
19 minutes ago, Lover said:

^^darlene is such a lucky gurl.

imagine THE queen giving you THIS amount of attention. :WAP:

Nick Jonas, Ariana Grande, Madonna, and others have long been accused of manipulating labels to their advantage.

But what does it mean?

these desperate clown @RS always using ha name to get dem klickies.

1f8a9ef1a75b328b8f02391ca7ab436502098b6d.gifv

Wouldnt be the first time. :rip:

• ATRL Moderator

Just re-watched the Sticky and Sweet tour yesterday morning and UGGHHH it always gets me she looks so good and her energy is SOOOO legendary. So happy I stan this queen. :jonny: Made me hyped for Madame X tour.