Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Are the main pop girls extinct?

33 posts in this topic

What do you think? I do not see that concept being thrown around anymore and the GP does not care.

06bdf11d561eedeb12647ebdda1ae2d6.jpg

Just Katy Perry and Britney Spears. 

If you're branding yourself a "pop girl," then yes. You can claim Ariana, Bey, and Rihanna are succeeding as pop girls, but their latest hits are RnB/rap/trap (Needed Me, Work, 7 Rings, Formation, Sorry) so they aren't succeeding in pop. They're not "pop girls," they're "urban." They're succeeding in an urban landscape. I don't think anyone is succeeding in pop at the moment. Taylor did, but signifanctly less so than during 1989. 

You can argue that pop is evolving to be more urban, and that is true, but I don't think it's fair to label their latest successful singles as "pop" in any way. If they do, it's like Taylor Swift trying to label WANEEGBT as "country." 

Just now, HeavyMetalAura said:

If you're branding yourself a "pop girl," then yes. You can claim Ariana, Bey, and Rihanna are succeeding as pop girls, but their latest hits are RnB/rap/trap (Needed Me, Work, 7 Rings, Formation, Sorry) so they aren't succeeding in pop. They're not "pop girls," they're "urban." They're succeeding in an urban landscape. I don't think anyone is succeeding in pop at the moment. Taylor did, but signifanctly less so than during 1989. 

You can argue that pop is evolving to be more urban, and that is true, but I don't think it's fair to label their latest successful singles as "pop" in any way. If they do, it's like Taylor Swift trying to label WANEEGBT as "country." 

I always laugh when anyone says Ariana is pop. If a black women sang those songs it would rightfully be labeled Trap/R&B with pop elements, not the other way around. 

It comes in cycles. Someone massive will come out in a few years and will end up being the girl remembered for the decade. With album sales dead and female artists typically not attracting a strong touring audience, it can be rough. Gen X and Millenials really won in terms of the music industry. 

this image/drawing is so powerful. If your fave is not here, then I'm so sorry.

iconiC looks only

1 hour ago, DatChickDoe said:

It comes in cycles. Someone massive will come out in a few years and will end up being the girl remembered for the decade. With album sales dead and female artists typically not attracting a strong touring audience, it can be rough. Gen X and Millenials really won in terms of the music industry. 

What? Katy Perry, Adele, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, P!nk, amongst others attract huge touring audiences :skull:

The 2000’s-early 2010’s pop girls are past their prime and are all in their legacy phases now. There are no real contenders for the next crop besides Ariana Grande who’s earned her spot and MAYBE Halsey. The trends are all in hip hop music right now, and women don’t tend to exceed in that genre. 

And lol at people saying Ariana Grande doesn’t make pop music. That’s like saying gay people don’t like men :deadbanana4:

pop always stood for "popular" music, it just happened that (most of) these girls did *pure* pop music during a long period when *pure* pop music was the standard

today's standard is urban/urban-influenced pop and so its current "main pop girls" are Ariana, Halsey and Cardi B with random pop starlets gettin a occasional hit like Camila or Ava Max.

5 minutes ago, Legendairy said:

iconiC looks only

Who is the blonde with curly hair? :rip: I thought it was Pixie Lott and I was confused

2 minutes ago, WERKER said:

Who is the blonde with curly hair? :rip: I thought it was Pixie Lott and I was confused

Gaga. :skull: 

4 minutes ago, WERKER said:

Gaga_front_profile.jpg

Britney- Onika - Stefani - Giselle- Katheryn - Robyn and Ms Ciccone

Gaga?

This is hilarious. Beyoncé can’t go extinct. She’s a legend 

Omg I thought the one with the ponytail was Iggy and I was so confused :rip: 

2 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Omg I thought the one with the ponytail was Iggy and I was so confused :rip: 

Me too lmao

Ariana Grande, Halsey, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adele and Rihanna are still kicking so no

1 hour ago, 45seconds said:

I always laugh when anyone says Ariana is pop. If a black women sang those songs it would rightfully be labeled Trap/R&B with pop elements, not the other way around. 

She's known as Pop/R&B

A "pop girl" can be any popular genre tho

Yes, now we just have some meme popgirls like Ariana, Dua and Ava.

Halsey, Camila and Selena are the closest we have to main popgirls.

35 minutes ago, Goofy said:

pop always stood for "popular" music, it just happened that (most of) these girls did *pure* pop music during a long period when *pure* pop music was the standard

today's standard is urban/urban-influenced pop and so its current "main pop girls" are Ariana, Halsey and Cardi B with random pop starlets gettin a occasional hit like Camila or Ava Max.

This!!

Pop music in 2019 = influences from the genre that is currently popular (i.e. trap snares, moody bass, etc.) + pop format (accessible, short, simple chord progression, catchy hook and memorable chorus. 

Pop music has always been taking the genre that is currently popular and breaking it down into a simplified version for the GP to consume. It's not that "pop girls are extinct" but the bubblegum, dance-pop era is over and those who failed to evolve in compelling ways got left behind. 

11 minutes ago, Rei said:

Yes, now we just have some meme popgirls like Ariana, Dua and Ava.

Halsey, Camila and Selena are the closest we have to main popgirls.

When did Dua and Ava have any memes? :rip: Now you’re just xenophobic against Albanian girls

And never forget..

These main pop girls were/are all taking huge breaks between their eras so people lost interest in them.

6 minutes ago, Schhh said:

These main pop girls were/are all taking huge breaks between their eras so people lost interest in them.

Another factor too. 

2 hours ago, Needy said:

Ariana Grande, Halsey, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adele and Rihanna are still kicking so no

Um, you missed Beyoncé hun.

2 hours ago, Legendairy said:

iconiC looks only

Iggy feels out of place