Jump to content

Canadian Politics


LookinIn
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, TomTom2288 said:

Here in Europe, Green parties are on the rise in many places. The Green Party here in Germany is at 20% in the polls, more than twice as much they usually get in federal elections.

My girlfriend lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, so I was curious as to which party Canada most supported this year. I could not vote until after 2020 anyway, but I do like to follow politics beyond just the crapshow, BOTH PARTIES, we have here in the US.

 

Germany has one of the most perfect and most free and fair electoral system in the world. You have seven (CDU & CSU as two) parties in power. The vote uses proportional representation with a 5% minimum threshold.

 

If I were there, the party I would most likely support there is the FDP, As a Libertarian (US), the Free Democrats (German) most closely resemble my ideology.

 

As for the CDU(/CSU) & SDP losing support, that makes perfect sense lol. Both were in a "grand coalition" and unpopular, so Germans voted for other parties. Then, once again the two major parties created another "grand coalition," which seems like the last outcome the Germans wanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mezik

    338

  • MaRy

    439

  • OBEY

    508

  • LookinIn

    917

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

The bloque will obviously support the conservatives. I just hope CON + BQ is less than Majority.

Eh I find that hard to imagine, the BQ is a left wing party, they just are unusual in their super nationalism. 

 

Just now, Monster Megamind said:

Wtf. What a self defeating buffoon

You are telling me :deadbanana4:. By far his biggest mistake and only real one to me that should sway you from really voting for him. SNC was a stupid scandal that was blown out of proportion by our conservative media. 

 

Trudeau isn't all bad but he really shouldn't have shot himself in the foot on that one, he got WAY too cocky. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Monster Megamind said:

If conservatives come they will cut funding to Healthcare... What a disaster this decade is turning out for the left...

they will be coming for abortion too :biblio:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LookinIn said:

Eh I find that hard to imagine, the BQ is a left wing party, they just are unusual in their super nationalism. 

 

You are telling me :deadbanana4:. By far his biggest mistake and only real one to me that should sway you from really voting for him. SNC was a stupid scandal that was blown out of proportion by our conservative media. 

 

Trudeau isn't all bad but he really shouldn't have shot himself in the foot on that one, he got WAY too cocky. 

They can't pass that law now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

They can't pass that law now?

Eh bills take a **** ton of time to pass in Canada, it has to pass the house of commons three times along with the senate three times and on the way to those passings it has to go through 1000 different committees. Two weeks/a month isnt enough time. 

 

The government doesn't work like the US where it goes to committee, goes to the house floor, goes to the senate committee, goes to the senate floor and then ends up on the presidents desk to sign. 

Edited by LookinIn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LookinIn said:

Eh bills take a **** ton of time to pass in Canada, it has to pass the house of commons three times along with the senate three times and on the way to those passings it has to go through 1000 different committees.

 

The government doesn't work like the US where it goes to committee, goes to the house floor, goes to the senate committee, goes to the senate floor and then ends up on the presidents desk to sign. 

But if they are on the brink of defeat, they better get on wth it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Just a few more weeks until official campaigning begins and the polls as of right now show Trudeau trailing and the NDP falling substantially as well: 

 

CON - 35.4%

LIB - 31.3%

NDP - 14.8%

GRN - 10.8%:eek:

BQ - 4.4%

PPC - 2.4%

Other - 1.6%

 

Seat Predictions: Conservative Minority 

Cons - 156

Libs - 140

NDP - 22

BQ - 14

GRN - 5 :eek:

OTH - 1 

 

I'm shook at the massive gains for the greens, people really switch like ******s huh? 

The CBC poll tracker is super biased and assigns larger weight to all the polls that favor the Cons. Most polls actually have the Liberals in lead now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

But if they are on the brink of defeat, they better get on wth it!

The time just isn't there that window evaporated a year ago. 

 

As well it would look HORRIBLE to change the electoral system three months away from an election and would probably destroy any chances he still has. 

 

2 minutes ago, Desperate Fantast said:

The CBC poll tracker is super biased and assigns larger weight to all the polls that favor the Cons. Most polls actually have the Liberals in lead now.

I don't think it is really that biased. It assigns larger weight to Pollers that have proven reliable in past elections

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

 

I don't think it is really that biased. It assigns larger weight to Pollers that have proven reliable in past elections

Ugh hell no. Angus Reid is a joke at this point after having the Liberal in third in October 2015, and IPSOS doesn't have a stellar record either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

The time just isn't there that window evaporated a year ago. 

 

As well it would look HORRIBLE to change the electoral system three months away from an election and would probably destroy any chances he still has. 

 

I don't think it is really that biased. It assigns larger weight to Pollers that have proven reliable in past elections

Can you also tell me why is NDP going down? Are they not popular?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll take a Liberal minority as a consolation prize rn tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

Can you also tell me why is NDP going down? Are they not popular?

Alot of reasons, primarily how far left they are going and how they are (correctly) perceived to have no clue what they are doing and how they differentiate themselves from liberals other than we will spend MORE than liberals we will SPEND SPEND SPEND. As well, the liberals have been very good to Quebec and Quebec atm seems to want to reward them by handing all the NDP seats there (a HUGE chunk of the NDPs total seats) to the Libs. 

 

However a-lot of it has to do with poor communication and broadcasting of ideas, alot of the ones that they are putting on the platform are getting kinda ridiculous (they endorsed lowering the voting age to 14 :deadbanana4:).

 

And then it all comes back to Jagmeet Singh who has two huge failings at the moment. The first and foremost is he is a Sikh which automatically is gonna lose polling points in North America in a national election. Secondly he is pretty much just Trudeau 2.0 in his style, he's young charismatic and trying to be hip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Alot of reasons, primarily how far left they are going and how they are (correctly) perceived to have no clue what they are doing and how they differentiate themselves from liberals other than we will spend MORE than liberals we will SPEND SPEND SPEND. As well, the liberals have been very good to Quebec and Quebec atm seems to want to reward them by handing all the NDP seats there (a HUGE chunk of the NDPs total seats) to the Libs. 

 

However a-lot of it has to do with poor communication and broadcasting of ideas, alot of the ones that they are putting on the platform are getting kinda ridiculous (they endorsed lowering the voting age to 14 :deadbanana4:).

 

And then it all comes back to Jagmeet Singh who has two huge failings at the moment. The first and foremost is he is a Sikh which automatically is gonna lose polling points in North America in a national election. Secondly he is pretty much just Trudeau 2.0 in his style, he's young charismatic and trying to be hip. 

He needs to step down. Is there another charismatic leader in his party who could communicate better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Desperate Fantast said:

Ugh hell no. Angus Reid is a joke at this point after having the Liberal in third in October 2015, and IPSOS doesn't have a stellar record either.

to be fair alot of polls had Liberals behind or just above CONS going into Election Day. As well just judging from talking to alot of people from an array of backgrounds I just don't see that support for the libs that other polls are suggesting. 

 

But again polling at this stage is kinda irrelevant alot can happen between now and October. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Monster Megamind said:

He needs to step down. Is there another charismatic leader in his party who could communicate better?

Nope not really. And again its just not realistic this soon to an election to do such a thing. 

 

The libs have no one else besides Trudeau rn (besides that bitch JWR who was rightfully kicked out for starting this whole ****ing mess they are in because of her ego). NDP is a **** show because the only reason the are even a talking point is because of Jack Layton's leftover good will (which has carried on surprisingly long, its a shame he died when the NDP were on the verge of greatness). 

 

The NDP should really just cut their losses at this point and desolve they are a complete and utter joke party at this point. I still remember the SHOCK when they were the official opposition after 2011 and decimated the liberals :deadbanana4:, their ****ing MPs were the definition of incompetent (one of the MPs was partying it up posting drunk photos in Vegas during the last week of the election and up till election night :deadbanana4:) when they were that big. They haven't really done much to show that they deserve the trust of voters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Nope not really. And again its just not realistic this soon to an election to do such a thing. 

 

The libs have no one else besides Trudeau rn (besides that bitch JWR who was rightfully kicked out for starting this whole ****ing mess they are in because of her ego). NDP is a **** show because the only reason the are even a talking point is because of Jack Layton's leftover good will (which has carried on surprisingly long, its a shame he died when the NDP were on the verge of greatness). 

 

The NDP should really just cut their losses at this point and desolve they are a complete and utter joke party at this point. I still remember the SHOCK when they were the official opposition after 2011 and decimated the liberals :deadbanana4:, their ****ing MPs were the definition of incompetent (one of the MPs was partying it up posting drunk photos in Vegas during the last week of the election and up till election night :deadbanana4:) when they were that big. They haven't really done much to show that they deserve the trust of voters. 

But I thought they were the Un corrupt ones who take small dollar donations... And the liberal party was the establishment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Monster Megamind said:

But I thought they were the Un corrupt ones who take small dollar donations... And the liberal party was the establishment.

You see why based on my at home experience I have MASSIVE suspicions towards these "democratic socialists" based on our experience with their kind here in Canada. The establishment can actually get things done is the difference, ie Weed Legalization and ****. It's slow and its more tedious but its more reliable and easier to win with than crackpots who are all over the place in the NDP who can't stick to a single message. 

 

Again campaign finance in Canada however is different, there is a maximum you are allowed to spend in an election and so many rules and regulations on how to conduct them properly that it bores me to go over them :deadbanana4: Campaign donations and finances in Canada are barely even talked about cause they just aren't really an issue (official party's are even subsidized by the government) 

 

I wouldn't say its corruption on their part, it's just incompetence and a complete lack of understanding of governmental systems that farther left "small donation" "anti establishment" progressives always fall victim too and why I harbour suspicion of them. I admire their goals but have a complete lack of faith in their ability to accomplish them even if they were by a miracle elected. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

You see why based on my at home experience I have MASSIVE suspicions towards these "democratic socialists" based on our experience with their kind here in Canada. The establishment can actually get things done is the difference, ie Weed Legalization and ****. It's slow and its more tedious but its more reliable and easier to win with than crackpots who are all over the place in the NDP who can't stick to a single message. 

 

Again campaign finance in Canada however is different, there is a maximum you are allowed to spend in an election and so many rules and regulations on how to conduct them properly that it bores me to go over them :deadbanana4: Campaign donations and finances in Canada are barely even talked about cause they just aren't really an issue (official party's are even subsidized by the government) 

 

I wouldn't say its corruption on their part, it's just incompetence and a complete lack of understanding of governmental systems that farther left "small donation" "anti establishment" progressives always fall victim too and why I harbour suspicion of them. I admire their goals but have a complete lack of faith in their ability to accomplish them even if they were by a miracle elected. 

Thanks for this explanation...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One Of my close friends was at a family gathering and jagmeet was there (family friends with my friends family friends i guess? The Sikh community is tight knit) and my friend said he was so turned off by him and he appeared “fake” 

 

ive also noticed a lot of Canadians are equally turned off by jagmeet 

 

looks like we are heading for the traditional liberal conservative showdown

 

im guessing either liberal minority, conservative majority or minority but the libs are definitely losing seats come this fall 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of my liberal/left leaning friends are thinking of voting green 💀💀💀 okay well it beats the NDP 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest concern right now is maximizing and strengthening the Canadian dollar, we have been in a slump for the past 5 years..the dollar was declining even before Trudeau but he has done nothing to improve it 

 

i can only trust the liberals or the conservatives to resolve this issue. Ndp and Green Party for sure will do nothing to repair our dollar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LookinIn said:

to be fair alot of polls had Liberals behind or just above CONS going into Election Day. As well just judging from talking to alot of people from an array of backgrounds I just don't see that support for the libs that other polls are suggesting

 

But again polling at this stage is kinda irrelevant alot can happen between now and October. 

That may be so, but the contempt for the Cons is real. Scheer is useless and dangerous, and Ford is a giant gift basket to Trudeau with a bow on it. One thing we know for sure is that the Cons are getting decimated in Ontario, so who's going to give them enough seats to form a government? Quebec?

 

Most people do roll their eyes at Trudeau once in a while, but that is the extent of their disdain for him. They'll have no problem voting for him just to prevent a Con government.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

I- :deadbanana4:

 

in some dark twisted way I hope he rises in the polls enough to eat away conservative votes and allow the liberals to win 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5883096/canadian-election-2019-writ-drop/

 

Writ of Election dropping tomorrow 

 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

 

as well CBCs poll tracker has the liberals back in front in the popular vote for the first time since February :gaycat5: and a 41% chance of them retaining their majority :jonny: come on Trudeau bring it on home 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...