• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbbmsve

• theblackestday

• Eeveelution

• World Eater

• ATRL Moderator

I'm not one to stan acoustic type songs so I was SHOCKED at how good Lana's two songs were this year.  Venice Bitch is her best since.... Get Free?

Oh that's not that long ago but it's still in her top 5 songs. 

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

iTunes Artwork for 'so sad so sexy (by Lykke Li)'

15. Lykke Li - Hard Rain
Genre: Alternative R&B

On my 15th spot, we have miss Lykke left18.gif?width=394&height=300 I was so hyped for so sad so sexy when she dropped deep end & hard rain. Obviously hard rain was my favorite out of the two. Then ssss came out and it was kind of a disappointment? I mean I still stan some songs from it but overall she didn't execute the new trap/pbr&b style that well. There are some exceptions like Hard Rain though. Hard Rain perfectly combines Lykke's signature moody sound with new alternative R&B production. She kinda sounds like BANKS at times, especially when she uses that devil sound effect. Miss Lykke snaps but unfortunately this song and deep end flopped. I guess it was too ahead of its time for certain audiences?

panda_bear_dolphin_cover.jpg___th_320_0.jpg

14. Panda Bear - Dolphin
Genre: Psychedelic Pop

Panda Bear releases something and I'm not putting it on my list? Well, that would never happen. So Dolphin was kind of a surprise release. He just dropped this single and announced Buoys after few weeks. Then Buoys leaked. For the first time since his 2004 album Young Prayer, he ditches his usual reverb effect that made him sound ethereal. Instead he sings with his bare voice. Also the instrumentals are different from his previous 3 LPs too. Dolphin mainly consists of accoustic guitar riffs and occasional annoying drop effects. He should've removed the drop effect but it is what it is. When an artist tries to experiment with their usual sound it often fails but that's not the case with Panda Bear. He successfully creates a new sound for himself. Can't wait to hear Buoys :mandown:

iTunes Artwork for 'Aviary (by Julia Holter)'

13. Julia Holter - I Shall Love 2
Genre: Art Pop

This might be a basic choice for Aviary but I Shall Love 2 was the song that introduced me to Julia Holter. I'm still not over Aviary. I still listen to that record and find little details that I didn't hear before. It has long and musically complex tracks. Compared to the rest of Aviary, I Shall Love 2 sounds somewhat accessible and more melodic. Lyrics are so simple yet so effective. She creates a beautiful atmosphere with her voice. That's one of the things I like about Aviary. You just get lost in the worlds she creates. Looking forward to check other albums of Julia Holter :smitten:

iTunes Artwork for 'In a Poem Unlimited (by U.S. Girls)'

12. U.S Girls - Rosebud
Genre: Art Pop

On .t rosebud.m4a Meg is goin' ✈️ disco for once again. .t rosebud.m4a talks about a weird bird metaphor that I'm not quite sure what it means. Is it about freedom? Maybe she is talking about some kind of revenge BDSM party that involves cages ("It will hurt I promise you"), I don't know. All I know is she snapped on this song. Production is so CLEAN. Everything is so tightly done. And her voice reaches high notes without any effort, (found the notes girl found the notes) :clap3: On an album with many highlights, it was hard to choose just one song but I feel like Rosebud represents Meg's pop sensibility pretty well. Such a bop Sbbmsve

iTunes Artwork for 'Ephorize (by cupcakKe)'

11. Cupcakke - Duck Duck Goose
Genre: Hip House

Just outside of the top 10 ( :noparty:) we have Cupcakke and her sexually charged track Duck Duck Goose. Before Ephorize, Cupcakke was often deemed as a meme rapper. People didn't care much about her albums aside from the hilarious dirty singles. But with Ephorize she really snaps and delivers her best album to date. Duck Duck Goose from that album might be her best song, PERIOD. This song is crazy. She relentlessly raps about rough sex using hilarious & creative metaphors. My favorite line would be "If you broke, then the ***** actin' funny like a meme *****" :dies: Instrumental is a generic EDM beat but it somehow works. I hope Cupcakke can last this creative roll she got going on. Looking forward to hear more from her in 2019.

Edited by Sbbmsve

• ATRL Moderator

wow this is a SET :eek: Dolphins is the weakest link here tho, idk why you stan it (or the album :mandown:). I Shall Love 2 honestly sounds accessible compared to the rest of aviary :dies:  Rosebud is so good :jonny: 

OKAYYYY, THIS SET IS :flame:

HARD RAIN IS AN ABSOLUTE SONG, I LOVE IT SO MUCH! SO SLAY.

Cupcakke making waves in rap world, end NICKI SIS.

• ATRL Moderator

:clap3: whew a set... hard rain, I shall love 2,  rosebud ( no idea what it's about either), duck duck goose a bop 

I Shall Love God 2 :jonny: this entire set :jonny5:

Whew the way the songs (except 14 Image result for i don't know her gif atrl) get progressively better.

Perched for the top 10

left18.gif?width=394&height=300

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

iTunes Artwork for 'Nobody - Single (by Mitski)'

10. Mitski - Nobody
Genre: Disco Pop

Appearing for the second time on my list, we have Mitski's disco bop from her talented, brilliant, amazing, **** on it vomit on it album Be The Cowboy :yas~1: Now this spot was a tight race between Nobody and Geyser but Nobody really growed on me last couple of months so I decided to include it. Nobody was just an unexpected move for Mitski. Especially after Geyser's heavy indie rock sound (But BTC is sonically closer to Geyser). But she did what she had to do and gave the gays everything that they wanted. Its lyrics are instantly iconic. Nobody is like the "I Will Survive" of the 2010s. I'm sure all of us indie gays will sing along to this in gay clubs with our prolapsed assholes in the future. Who am I kidding, we won't live that long.

iTunes Artwork for 'Time Today - Single (by Kero Kero Bonito)'

9. Kero Kero Bonito - Time Today
Genre: Indie Pop

Oooh chile we goin' ✈️ Death Grips? No we don't because that is a stupid comparison, IDK who came up with that gV8FLRo.gif KKB goes for a more serious approach on their new album Time & Place. Their new sound is less Kawaii more dream pop. Time Today is my favourite single they've released from Time & Place. Time Today has a happy & careless sound but its lyrics deal with topics like death & mental illness (Marty I'm scared).It is a catchy track, I just love it. It was so great of KKB to switch their sound to something completely different and succeed at that :clap3:

iTunes Artwork for 'Honey - Single (by Robyn)'

8. Robyn - Honey
Genre: Pop

Ooooh chile the legend jumped at the cover of Honey. She is just posing in a gay bathhouse, SERVING body & Olivia Newton John. Same applies for the title track of her long awaited album Honey (sans Olivia Newton John). So, this version is a little different than the Girls version. It's more deep house and slow tempo. I was kinda disappointed at what we got but with time I appreciated this version more. Whole song is just so intimate and sexy. It might be her most sexy song ever. Honey definitely worth the wait.

iTunes Artwork for 'Hot Pink - Single (by Let's Eat Grandma)'

7. Let's Eat Grandma - Hot Pink
Genre: Synthpop, Art Pop

I didn't know anything about Let's Eat Grandma until this SOPHIE co-produced BOP. They dropped some solid material this year. I'm All Ears was an unexpected art pop album that combined different genres. Hot Pink from that album is a straight up BANGER. It has an explosive SOPHIE trademark chorus. Verses are more chill like their usual stuff. Lyrics are interesting too, they talk about gender equality and just appreciating the color pink (someone else did this too, I just can't remember). Shout to Falling Into Me which was another strong track from I'm All Ears

iTunes Artwork for '7 (by Beach House)'

6. Beach House - Dive
Genre: Dream Pop

I just got nothing to say about Beach House. They are legends at this point. From Teen Dream to 7, they have been dropping nothing but solid material (even their S/T album and Devotion are really great). Their run reminds me of Animal Collective. I hope they don't end up like them and release a Centipede Hz :mandown:. Yeah... Dive on number 6, I'm speechless. Let's just enjoy this legendary song...

tenor.gif

Edited by Sbbmsve

23 hours ago, theblackestday said:

source.gif

But we stan a classic

Your watch sir, sorry sir, we STAN sir XJv3f9-Pjda-HM58-Zc.jpg

22 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

stanning for Mitski after all? welcome to the tasteful side :clap3: 

Well I'm here to stan tumblr_inline_pbd8mm8ahK1rbgerg_540.gif

20 hours ago, Lazuli said:

I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) and Venice Bitch :worship2: 

:worship2:

18 hours ago, madonnas said:

I'm not one to stan acoustic type songs so I was SHOCKED at how good Lana's two songs were this year.  Venice Bitch is her best since.... Get Free?

Oh that's not that long ago but it's still in her top 5 songs. 

Tea. It sucks that her best song is a Radiohead tribute :mandown:

14 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

wow this is a SET :eek: Dolphins is the weakest link here tho, idk why you stan it (or the album :mandown:). I Shall Love 2 honestly sounds accessible compared to the rest of aviary :dies:  Rosebud is so good :jonny: 

Stockholm Syndrome 

11 hours ago, Dom said:

OKAYYYY, THIS SET IS :flame:

HARD RAIN IS AN ABSOLUTE SONG, I LOVE IT SO MUCH! SO SLAY.

Cupcakke making waves in rap world, end NICKI SIS.

10 hours ago, Tsareena said:

:clap3: whew a set... hard rain, I shall love 2,  rosebud ( no idea what it's about either), duck duck goose a bop 

:jonny:

8 hours ago, Lazuli said:

hard rain and Rosebud :clap3: 

:clap3:

7 hours ago, TRF. said:

I Shall Love God 2 :jonny: this entire set :jonny5:

I love god now :jonny:

2 hours ago, volition said:

this set is excellent, i can't believe you haven't heard julia's other albums?

Dqis1awXgAAokzQ.jpg?width=400&height=225

1 hour ago, Eeveelution said:

Whew the way the songs (except 14 Image result for i don't know her gif atrl) get progressively better.

Perched for the top 10

left18.gif?width=394&height=300

Sings are coming sis, stay ready

giphy.webp

Girl I- this set :jonny5: Robyn flawed it but we gonna pretend we didn't see that

Your writeups though... this is not something they ****ing wrote, this **** is professional like...

45 minutes ago, Sbbmsve said:

The "I Will Survive" of the 2010s.

1Y9OD7J.gif

• ATRL Moderator

The writeups alsjxksksk :skull: this is possibly the strongest set of any I've seen from anyone's countdown so far, I love every song :jonny:

• ATRL Moderator

hotpink, honey, nobody... :clap3:

time today is just alright... don’t remember how dive sounds :mandown:

I'm sure all of us indie gays willsing along to this in gay clubs with our prolapsed assholes in the future. Who am I kidding, we won't live that long.

fdsfdsafads :deadbanana4: 

But yas Nobody >>> Geyser :clap3: 

Dive :worship2: Hot Pink :worship2: Honey :worship2: Sick set! 

Oooooh bitch :jonny: The only song I didn't like is Dolphin, the rest is a SERVE. And your write ups are always my favorites dfjnfnd

Time today, their best song I said what I said. The Death Grips comparisons are very who said that.gif, it's not like they are anywhere as talented as KKB anyway.

she is just posing in a gay bathhouse, SERVING body & Olivia Newton John.

waiT now you mention it. The gay icon jumped out

(someone else did this too, I just can't remember).

Is this J*nelle shade? :mandown: 

Nobody and Hot Pink are bops!

• ATRL Moderator

Uhm, Honey and Time Today.... you realize they released albums with other songs, right? :thing: 

Nobody prevailing over Geyser :sad: 

Rosebud is also great but another song is better. 

3 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Girl I- this set :jonny5: Robyn flawed it but we gonna pretend we didn't see that

Your writeups though... this is not something they ****ing wrote, this **** is professional like...

1Y9OD7J.gif

Kkasjkdjksk thank u king

1Y9OD7J.gif

3 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

The writeups alsjxksksk :skull: this is possibly the strongest set of any I've seen from anyone's countdown so far, I love every song :jonny:

Omg thank u kingggg

0auJkwH.gif

3 hours ago, Tsareena said:

hotpink, honey, nobody... :clap3:

time today is just alright... don’t remember how dive sounds :mandown:

Well remember it Animated GIF

3 hours ago, Lazuli said:

fdsfdsafads :deadbanana4: 

But yas Nobody >>> Geyser :clap3: 

Dive :worship2: Hot Pink :worship2: Honey :worship2: Sick set! 

Thank you king :heart2:

2 hours ago, World Eater said:

Oooooh bitch :jonny: The only song I didn't like is Dolphin, the rest is a SERVE. And your write ups are always my favorites dfjnfnd

Sbbmsve's Best Of: 2018 : 92 Metascore, Universal Acclaim

Unoriginal - 95: This is possibly the strongest Best Of ever

World Eater - 90: His write-ups are always my favorites

theblackestday - 90: This is not something they ****ing wrote, this **** is professional like

2 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Time today, their best song I said what I said. The Death Grips comparisons are very who said that.gif, it's not like they are anywhere as talented as KKB anyway.

waiT now you mention it. The gay icon jumped out

Is this J*nelle shade? :mandown: 

Nobody and Hot Pink are bops!

Death Grips can rot, their peak is making a Björk tribute album... Maybe it is :fan:

6 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Uhm, Honey and Time Today.... you realize they released albums with other songs, right? :thing: 

Nobody prevailing over Geyser :sad: 

Rosebud is also great but another song is better. 

Well :fan:

Posting a lil' recap before I reveal my top 5 songs :fan:

25. Planningtorock - Transome

24. George Clanton - Make It Forever

23. Yves Tumor - Lifetime

22. serpentwithfeet - bless ur heart

21. Mitski - Pink In The Night

20. Grouper - Parking Lot

19. Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch

18. Nilüfer Yanya - Thanks 4 Nothing

17. James Blake - Don't Miss It

16. The 1975 - I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)

15. Lykke Li - Hard Rain

14. Panda Bear - Dolphin

13. Julia Holter - I Shall Love 2

12. U.S Girls - Rosebud

11. Cupcakke - Duck Duck Goose

10. Mitski - Nobody

9. Kero Kero Bonito - Time Today

8. Robyn - Honey

7. Let's Eat Grandma - Hot Pink

6. Beach House - Dive

5.:fan:

4.:fan:

3.:fan:

2.:fan:

1. :fan:

besides let's eat grandma (not really into them) this set is fantastic~ 

this set... every song is so good and I can tell you at least some of these will also be on my top 10. ugh, your taste!

tenor.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.