Lykke Li - anne frank moment

her what now? :skull: 

most of these are fair hms. we share a couple in fact :mandown: 

knock knock and Compro were done DIRTY

EATBF, Powerhouse, Dream Songs, ssss, TMA Remix are HM appropriate

LDA is... not it x

The way I completed ignored ionnalee this year. I like some of the hms

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

Here we go girls, you better be jumpin' :)

600x600bb.jpg

25. Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Genre: Techno, Electronic

Yasss miss Jon is making points with this fine ass album. There are some techno characteristics about him but it is cooler for him to not say he is techno. This year kinda lacked good electronic albums but she is here, H-E-R-E. Even though I like this album as a whole, I think it loses its steam at the last tracks. It is definitely front loaded for me.

Fav Tracks: Emerald Rush, Neon Pattern Drum

iTunes Artwork for 'Ephorize (by cupcakKe)'

24. Cupcakke - Ephorize
Genre: Hip Hop

Miss Cupcakke really BRINGS it with her fifth(?) studio album Ephorize. On this 15 track album, Cupcakke relentlessly raps about her life, sex, food etc. Whatever you are looking for she got you. She also released another album this year called Eden. It was fine but it felt rushed. One album would be enough for this year.

Fav Tracks: Cartoons, Duck Duck Goose, Spoiled Milk Titties, Crayons, Total

iTunes Artwork for 'Isolation (by Kali Uchis)'

23. Kali Uchis - Isolation
Genre: Neo-Soul

Before Isolation, I had no idea about who Kali Uchis was. She released some material before this album. Mostly visual and retro inspired. Now Isolation has a throwback/retro vibe too but I feel like Kali puts her into these songs. This album contains many genres but it is still cohesive. Kali's artistic vision is so strong that none of the songs on this album feels distant from the rest. Well there are some weak songs obviously like the dull Tame Impala produced "Tomorrow". Also I want to talk about the interludes. They are doing what they exactly intented to do. Not wasting space and making transition for each part of the album. As far as I know this is not a concept album though. So yeah Kali Uchis, a great artist that I've discovered thanks to this album :heart2:

Fav Tracks: Just A Stranger, In My Dreams, Your Teeth In My Neck, Nuestro Planeta

iTunes Artwork for 'Sweetener (by Ariana Grande)'

22. Ariana Grande - Sweetener
Genre: Pop, R&B

? ?? bb gurl u rlly did that ilysm yuh ok? ? ? ?

Fav Tracks: R.E.M, Sweetener, God Is A Woman, Better Off

iTunes Artwork for 'Bloom (by Troye Sivan)'

21. Troye Sivan - Bloom
Genre: Pop

This year we saw Troyer turning into an indie darling pop artist ala Carly Rae Jepsen. I ****ing rolled my eyes when My My My! got BNT from Pitchfork. It actually caused some drama on pop discussion places like r/popheads. But after few weeks I kinda got obsessed with the song. Its music video was a serve too. Then I had to wait MONTHS to hear this album. It is just 10 tracks so I don't know what is the big deal. It flopped (not surprising). But I guess that is the rule when you are an indie darling. What I like the most about this album is how Troye is not overdoing the "I'm a gay popstar" thing. He is quite intimate on those new songs. He casually talks about his relationships. After his very Lorde-like uninspiring debut album, this was such a sweet surprise.

Fav Tracks: Animal, My My My!, The Good Side, Dance To This, Seventeen

Edited by Sbbmsve

Great gowns for Troye and Jon, who delivered bops for lead singles and then disappointed. Otherwise, I like everything here.

Drag Tomorrow - I like it but a Kali x Kevin song should have been a lot better :mandown: 

• ATRL Moderator

singularity was just okay... won't revisit tho
ephorize, isolation, sweetener, bloom :clap3: 

This 1-2-3-4 punch with Singularity, Ephorize, Isolation and Sweetener :omg:

Beautiful suits (as pictured at #21)

Singularity can't be fronloaded when SOTY (COSM) is in the second half, but otherwise I would agree. Miss Kali Uchis and Sweetener :clap3: Ephorize was cute and Troye had great gowns... hope you don't get permabanned for his writeup :mandown:

• ATRL Moderator

God Is a Woman shouldn't exist.  It's tainting yall's minds.

Ephorize is gr8, perfect standouts too. 

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

iTunes Artwork for 'Us (by Empress Of)'

20. Empress Of - Us

This might be a controversial choice for top 20 but... :mandown: On her second album Empress Of goes for a more polished pop sound. Her 2015 indie pop staple album Me was amazing. Every song had great production and song-writing. And the fact that she did the entirety of Me all by herself... But this time around she decides to have a few co producers. Results are mostly satisfying. This album is more playful compared to Me. Her songwriting is sharp and vivid like before. Maybe the only downside of this album is its generic production on some songs? Like take the song "Just The Same". It is an usual trop pop song that would've dominated the charts few years ago. Us lacks Me's originality but Lorely still makes a solid pop album. When I'm With Him is top 3 Empress Of in my opinion :jonny:

Fav Tracks: When I'm With Him, Timberlands, Again, Everything To Me, I Don't Even Smoke Weed

iTunes Artwork for 'Grid of Points (by Grouper)'

19. Grouper - Grid of :somepoints:
Genre: Ambient

Ugh, I just love the piano songs of Grouper. They are so lush and her voice just carries you away. Ruins was one of her best albums and she decides to go for that sound on this album too. This album lasts about only 23 minutes but it is packed with great ambient pop songs. This album is not her best material but definitely a great record. 

Fav Tracks: Driving, Parking Lot, Breathing

iTunes Artwork for 'Cocoa Sugar (by Young Fathers)'

18. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
Genre: Experimental Hip-Hop

On their third album, Young Fathers totally invent a new sound for themselves. This set of lo-fi hip hop songs are packed with strong messages, great production and vocals. An amazing album.

Fav Tracks: In My View, Cocoa Sugar, See How, Turn, Border Girl

iTunes Artwork for 'Hej! (by felicita)'

17. Felicita - Hej!
Genre: Electronic

Moving on to another controversial pick we have the :ummm: - English legend Felicita and his abstract ass album Hej!! Felicita released this album on PC Music. I've always seen Felicita as an enigma. We don't know much about him aside from the fact that he is :ummm: His sound is way more experimental compared to other PC Music artists. So people didn't care much about this or any of his other work. Hej! is fully produced by Felicita. Kkkaroline Polachek makes a surprise appearence on 2 tracks: Mosaic Genetics and the :ummm: sing Marzipan. Her contrubitions really make this album a bit more alive among all the synthetic abstract electronic pieces. I think this album really showed Felicita's full potential. Such a strong debut.

Fav Tracks: Coughing Up Amber, Soft Power I & II, Mosaic Genetics, Elena

iTunes Artwork for 'Slide (by George Clanton)'

16.  George Clanton - Slide
Genre: Chillwave

We goin' ✈️ Indie Heaux payola girl. George Clanton is a genius. He literally invented a genre with his debut album %100 Musica Electronica. Now I didn't know much about him before this album. Thanks to #indieheaux I discovered it and ended up stanning. First of all that album cover is literal perfection. It matches the album's sound perfectly. Slide is definitely 90s inspired. He combines 90s grunge with chillwave. His vocals are so efortless, giving every song a cool ass vibe. So one question: When do I get to blow him? 

30127146_10156610581367590_724263487630475264_n.png?width=300&height=300

Fav Tracks: Walk Slowly, Livin' Loose, Make It Forever, Slide, Monster

Edited by Sbbmsve

6 minutes ago, Sbbmsve said:

Grouper - Grid of :somepoints:

6 minutes ago, Sbbmsve said:

we have the :ummm: - English

:bibliahh:

Several choices were made here :mandown: I wasn't a fan of Us, but she's a cute girl with great gowns. Grid of Points is really pretty but it didn't stick with me enough :chick1: Young Fathers snapped :jonny: I avoided the Felicita album purposefully and I can't say I'm surprised he's here knowing your bias :somepoints: Slide though :jonny5: our man George did that. It being the highest here is what it deserves :deserves:

Perched for the top 15 bbgirl, see you then UU5yM9S.gif

On 12/25/2018 at 6:29 PM, theblackestday said:

Kelallah didn't have to give us the AOTY twice in a row, but she did. mKlAXZh.gif The generous queen, ask miss Ellen

Disappointed you let our girl Lykke Malone rot in the HMs like this, she did not channel Anne Frank for this left18.gif?width=394&height=300

Knock Knock and Compro deserved better, but we love musica electronica excellency :grimes~1: Caution, LDA & KSG :yas~1:

I'm kinda disappointed too, she should've at least made 10 more JITAs. Wigs In The Air mKlAXZh.gif Think of them as like #35-#26 but not in order left18.gif?width=394&height=300

On 12/25/2018 at 6:34 PM, madonnas said:

AH lol, I was in love with DP last year but didn't even bother :skull: I enjoy the rest of the top 5, however.  I like Lemon Glow a lot because its psychedelic :-*  

We love psychedelic pop :jonny:

On 12/26/2018 at 2:30 AM, World Eater said:

Em Gee Em Tea, Lykke, mister Koze, Mariah and mister Mask :jonny:

dfjnjfnnfdnfk

left18.gif?width=394&height=300

On 12/26/2018 at 2:26 PM, Eeveelution said:

her what now? :skull: 

most of these are fair hms. we share a couple in fact :mandown: 

She said in an interview that so sad so sexy is her anne frank moment ksjdksjkd Yeah our minds...

On 12/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, Lazuli said:

so sad so sexy :'( :'( :'( 

MGMT and Caution are decent picks for an HM :clap3: 

Tea :clap3:

On 12/26/2018 at 4:09 PM, Body Electrician said:

Lemon Glow and IITCIW? :jonny5: 

Kale yeah :jonny5:

On 12/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, ChapelHooker said:

knock knock and Compro were done DIRTY

EATBF, Powerhouse, Dream Songs, ssss, TMA Remix are HM appropriate

LDA is... not it x

You guys would un-dirty it then :mandown:

On 12/27/2018 at 10:25 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

The way I completed ignored ionnalee this year. I like some of the hms

She did something..

On 12/28/2018 at 1:38 AM, Eeveelution said:

Great gowns for Troye and Jon, who delivered bops for lead singles and then disappointed. Otherwise, I like everything here.

Drag Tomorrow - I like it but a Kali x Kevin song should have been a lot better :mandown: 

Right? Tomorrow more like  NOmorrow left18.gif?width=394&height=300

On 12/28/2018 at 1:42 AM, Tsareena said:

singularity was just okay... won't revisit tho
ephorize, isolation, sweetener, bloom :clap3: 

"won't revisit tho" why did I laugh :rip:

On 12/28/2018 at 6:11 PM, World Eater said:

This 1-2-3-4 punch with Singularity, Ephorize, Isolation and Sweetener :omg:

Beautiful suits (as pictured at #21)

I'm all about punches and kicks

giphy.webp

On 12/28/2018 at 6:29 PM, theblackestday said:

Singularity can't be fronloaded when SOTY (COSM) is in the second half, but otherwise I would agree. Miss Kali Uchis and Sweetener :clap3: Ephorize was cute and Troye had great gowns... hope you don't get permabanned for his writeup :mandown:

Frontloaded as in Jon dumped all of his *** on the first track, I'm sure COSM got some on her face. It's allright, I will just buy a new iPad :mandown: 

16 hours ago, madonnas said:

God Is a Woman shouldn't exist.  It's tainting yall's minds.

Ephorize is gr8, perfect standouts too. 

Idk why do u dislike it so much sis, get into it :jonny:

The George Clanton payola is too much, what does he have on y'all? left18.gif?width=394&height=300

Young Fathers may have snapped.

• ATRL Moderator

That Hej album was interesting to listen to, but later on I felt like it was a chore to finish ?  Still glad he incorporated unique elements into it.

Slide and Us are good albums! 

Isolation didnt dereve the slander of being below ariana and troye, wyd sis?

also the HMS are a snatch

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

iTunes Artwork for 'Be the Cowboy (by Mitski)'

15. Mitski - Be The Cowboy
Genre: Indie Rock

Mitski shakes the world of indie gays with her new album Be The Cowboy. My relationship with her music was a bit shaky. I loved Puberty 2 and all the singles released from this album. But when it leaked came out I was very lukewarm about the album tracks. They were just too short to make something out of them. But with time I really appreciated the route she was going for. All of the tracks on Be The Cowboy have amazing song-writing. Even though most of the tracks are 2 minutes long, they tell a story. Mitski might be one of the best songwriters of our generations. I can't tell much about production. It is nothing outstanding but it does what it needs to be done. Overall I love this album but I still think that Puberty 2 is her strongest album. Wig, thanks Mitski.

Fav Tracks: Nobody, Geyser, Pink in the Night, Two Slow Dancers, Come into the Water

iTunes Artwork for 'Aviary (by Julia Holter)'

14. Julia Holter - Aviary
Genre: Art Pop

Aviary is probably the most trippy and breathtaking album I've heard this year. These 15 tracks have so much going on (in a good way). Julia Holter sometimes sings and sometimes do a spoken word. You just get lost in the world that she created on Aviary (in a good way). I still haven't listened to Julia's other albums yet because Aviary had me captured :dies: I still can't get over how detailed it is. Julia Holter really bringed it. Thank god she did because this year also lacked Art Pop. Good thing we have Enigma.

Fav Tracks: Another Dream, Turn the Light On, I Shall Love 1&2, Whether, Les Jeux to You

iTunes Artwork for 'Devotion (by Tirzah)'

13. Tirzah - Devotion
Genre: Alternative R&B

"I'll make you fine again" sings the immaculate bedroom artist Tirzah unknown.png?width=300&height=300 Yes, I feel better after I listen to this album. Devotion is a lowkey, R&B album. Tirzah's chill vocal is backed up by Mica Levi's glitchy / lo-fi production. Results are simple but effective. She is like the new FKA Twigs with this lowkey R&B sound (don't lynch me). The only downside of Devotion would be its songwriting. Some songs don't go anywhere. Otherwise it is an insanely tight and cohesive album. Tirzah never loses her focus. I have to say Devotion was a breath of fresh air. She earned herself a spot in the indie world.

Fav Tracks: Devotion, Holding On , Fine Again, Gladly, Guilty, Basic Need

iTunes Artwork for 'Dirty Computer (by Janelle Monáe)'

12. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
Genre: R&B, Pop

Do you know what we are? We are ****ing Dirty Computers, we just love to smash those year end lists.. ummm. Grammy nominated artist Janelle Monae brings her pop side after her previous concept albums The Archandroid and The Electric Lady. Now, I know that Dirty Computer is not as strong as those albums because those albums had incredible cohesiveness which is something that Dirty Computer lacks. Janelle ditches the Cindi Merriweather concept (notice the absence of suite dots on the cover) and decides to make an album that deals with current events. Dirty Computer is Janelle's most politic album. Tracks like Screwed, PYNK and Crazy, Classic, Life are fun pop songs that have political messages. They carry a more universal message whereas tracks like Make Me Feel and I Like That are more personal to Janelle. Sonically this album is all over the place. There are many genres packed in one album. It might seem like a good thing but it kinda ruins the flow of the album. Dirty Computer is frontloaded. Deep cuts are pushed back to the end. After I Got The Juice album loses its steam. The uninspiring I Like That just shouldn't be there. The next two ballads Don't Judge Me and So Afraid are cute songs but I'm not sure if they fit in this album. I can totally see Don't Judge Me fitting in The Archandroid. And the closer Americans is a bit too Prince. But let me say this: First 9 tracks are PERFECT. They are what I expected Dirty Computer to be. Funky and political at the same time. Yeah... these are my opinions on Dirty Computer. Janelle still brings an amazing and thoughtful album after one another. 

Fav Tracks: PYNK, Crazy, Classic, Life, Django Jane, Take A Byte, I Got The Juice, Make Me Feel

iTunes Artwork for 'Chris (by Christine and the Queens)'

11. Christine and the Queens - Chris

Christine returns with another amazing pop album after 2014's Chaleur Humaine. This time she is not as Christine but as her adventurous alter ego Chris. With Chris, Christine dabbles in gender politics and stuff. Sonically she is more funky and playful than ever. But most of the songs deal with serious themes. There are few ballads on Chris. What's-her-face is a heartbreaking ballad about isolation and bullying she faced as a child and 5 dollars is an interesting song about paid-sex. Chris never loses its interesting songwriting. Every song is packed with Christine's creative vision. So it makes for a cohesive listening. Also I failed to mention that this album is in 2 languages: French and English. It is nice to hear Chris in different languages. Also the French version comes with two bonus tracks: Le G and Bruce est dans le brouillard. They are nice additions to the album. Chris unfortunately misses my top 10 but I love what Christine did here. This is definitely one of the best pop albums of the year :jonny2:

Fav Tracks: Doesn't matter, 5 Dollars, Goya Soda, What's-her-face, Damn (what must a woman do), The stranger

Edited by Sbbmsve

Not a single album less than excellent on this update... oh b*tch this is a serve! :heart2:

I will release the entire top 10 with write-ups so it is gonna take a bit long, probably next week or so. Thank you for commenting :heart2:

22 hours ago, theblackestday said:

:bibliahh:

Several choices were made here :mandown: I wasn't a fan of Us, but she's a cute girl with great gowns. Grid of Points is really pretty but it didn't stick with me enough :chick1: Young Fathers snapped :jonny: I avoided the Felicita album purposefully and I can't say I'm surprised he's here knowing your bias :somepoints: Slide though :jonny5: our man George did that. It being the highest here is what it deserves :deserves:

Perched for the top 15 bbgirl, see you then UU5yM9S.gif

I knew that some of my choices would bring controversy but I did what I had to do. Top 15 is here. I posted an uptade under 24 hours, laziness found dead  UU5yM9S.gif

22 hours ago, Tsareena said:

:jonny5: empress of did THAT on US, cocoa sugar :clap3:

She really did. I don't regret putting her that high tbh :jonny5:

21 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

The George Clanton payola is too much, what does he have on y'all? left18.gif?width=394&height=300

Young Fathers may have snapped.

He has a big dick, he posts nude pics to us every night so left18.gif?width=394&height=300

21 hours ago, madonnas said:

That Hej album was interesting to listen to, but later on I felt like it was a chore to finish ?  Still glad he incorporated unique elements into it.

Slide and Us are good albums! 

Same. I thought it was too cluttered at first but then I appreciated the uniqueness of it. They definitely are :jonny5:

12 hours ago, artangel said:

Isolation didnt dereve the slander of being below ariana and troye, wyd sis?

also the HMS are a snatch

Is it really a slander when it made my list and had a positive review left18.gif?width=394&height=300 Thank you :heart2:

2 minutes ago, TRF. said:

Not a single album less than excellent on this update... oh b*tch this is a serve! :heart2:

Thank you sis skdjksd :heart2:

Do you know what we are? We are ****ing Dirty Computers, we just love to smash those year end lists.

You know what... :rip: Not you kind of lashing the album even though it's so high :deserves:

I didn't know you were a Tirzallah stan :eek: the taste LEAPT out. We're on the right side of history x

Mitski is too low but you've come a long way from lashing her in the album thread. :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator

I love the short songs.  Don't waste my time just give me all the good seconds you have, then onto the next one.

The others are good, though except tizrah lol.

Love how all the Janelle stans are dragging DC but putting it on their best of lists anyway. :deadbanana4: The way it's good and bad at the same time. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.