Sbbmsve's Best Of: 2018 ✨| FINISHED

Sbbmsve

3 hours ago, Sbbmsve said:

She is like the new FKA Twigs

You did NOT just try it Image result for cupcakke knife gif

Anyways. Proud of you for seeing the light with Mitski, even if she still deserved better :grimes~1: points were made with that writeup though, I can't lie. Kinda shook at Aviary making it and this high, I remember when you couldn't finish it :dies:  but not even you would be blind to such an accomplished piece of work :deserves: The others... tumblr_inline_ognmuw8x3u1tumrnf_500.gif

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbbmsve

• theblackestday

• Eeveelution

• World Eater

People dragging Janelle... I don't get it! Make that make sense! :angry:

Not :ummm: fdjjnfdjf :ahh: Sis is going ✈️ global :clap3:

I may have dragged Us to the pits, but I still enjoy it .t hide

Cocoa Sugar, Slide, Be the Cowboy, Godvotion and Chris, big points as Trump says or something like that :clap3:

Ba-l-ks-z-2.png

So here it is ponyboys, my top 10 albums of the year. Thank you for being on my first ever Best Of, I really appreciate it :heart2:

iTunes Artwork for 'Time 'n' Place (by Kero Kero Bonito)'

10. Kero Kero Bonito - Time & Place

Genre: Synthpop, Twee Pop (tenor.gif)

Kero Kero Bonito is going ✈️ for a much harsher sound after their previous diabet-phobic record Bonito Generation. Everybody is comparing to them to Death Grips because they used some experimental noises on Only Acting. That comparison makes no sense, KKB can write actual lyrics :cm:. Time & Place delves into topics like depression & anxiety in such a realistic way. Only Acting is a song about stage fright. The song has a glitchy breakdown part which describes that feeling the best. Not every song on T&P is as hard hitting as Only Acting though. Make Belive & Time Today are very sweet songs that has lyrical depth. They both have the trademark KKB sound combined with their new found indie rock sound. Songs like If I'd Known and Rest Stop are more experimental. They are certainly the weakest songs on the album though. And in my opinion the best deep cut here is Swimming. It is a stunning song about a dead friend (?). So yeah Time & Place is full of surprises. I didn't expect to like it so much :jonny2:

Fav Tracks: Make Belive, Time Today, Swimming, Outside, Only Acting, Dear Future Self

iTunes Artwork for 'In a Poem Unlimited (by U.S. Girls)'

9. U.S. Girls - In A Poem Unlimited

Genre: Art Pop, Feminazi, SJW Snowflake

U.S. Girls' Meg Remy Ma ends men & their enablers with her new album In A Poem Unlimited. Meg's men hate combined with the fusion of psychedelic pop and space disco makes for an immense listening. Be careful though, this album is not good for fragile masculinity, please keep your married straight daddies out of the room while you are listening to this. Suck them another time while their wives are away. The opener Velvet 4 Sale is a song against violence towards women. It is a wild ass song that suggests killing the predators because they could always come back :deserves: She also dabbles in politics. The disco bop M.A.H (Mad As Hell) is directed at Obama. "As if you couldn't tell, I'm mad as hell".She drags Obama's ashy ass: "We watched your hair go grey, that stressful manly shade" ooof. Rest of the album follows a similar pattern. There are some different genres like synthpop on Poem or grunge rock on Incidental Boogie though. Production is so clear on all of these songs. She brings so many iconic lines. After 2015's Half Free, Megy raises the bar a bit higher. Well poor Nicki, I hope they don't run into each other because Meg is gonna smack that bitch.

Fav Tracks: Rosebud, M.A.H, Velvet 4 Sale, Poem, Pearly Gates, Incidental Boogie 

iTunes Artwork for 'Lamp Lit Prose (by Dirty Projectors)'

8. Dirty Projectors - Lamp Lit Prolapsed Assholese

Genre: Art Pop

Dirty Projectors probably had the fastest downfall of any indie band. Since the departure of Amber & Angel, no one gave a **** about Dirty Projectors. It's possibly because of the creepy lead single Keep Your Name. It was an unusual alternative R&B song about Dave's break-up. People had the right to be creeped. I mean look at its lyrics... Domino Records even threatened to drop him out after Keep Your Name. Jk that never happened, I'm exaggerating :dies: Dave had a reasonable following with Self Titled. Its unusal songwriting and glitchy R&B production was something new for the band. I loved S/T so much that I put it at number 8 on my 2017 list (what a coincidence :mandown:). Lamp Lit Prose era started with the release of Break-Thru. A glitchy and insane rock song about a new relationship (?). It was the signal of a lighter album that is Lamp Lit Prose. Lamp Lit Prose focuses on more political and universal messages unlike S/T. He criticizes capitalism & the new world order. There are some love songs here and there. Many collaborators on Lamp Lit serves the purpose of Amber & Angel. They are mostly doing back vocals. What I most love about this album is the jazz influence. Songs like Blue Bird, (I Wanna) Feel It All, What Is The Time are something new for Dirty Projectors. Also some of the tracks carry the trademark sound of their finest album Bitte Orca (That's A Lifestyle, Zombie Conqueror). With Lamp Lit Prose Dave proves that he can still forge some catchy and insane pop songs. So check this album if you want him to eat something for the dinner :chick3:

Fav Tracks: That's A Lifestyle, Blue Bird, Break-Thru, Right Now, (I Wanna) Feel It All, You're The One

iTunes Artwork for 'A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships (by The 1975)'

7. The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships

Genre: Indie Pop, New Wave

Here we have the most unexpected album of the 2018 or maybe the decade: A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships. The 1975's previous effort i like it when you sleep was a stunning (I know I dragged it earlier but it grew on me) 80s pop oriented album. It had really catchy tracks and clear production. Only problem of its would be the repetitive and sometimes non sense lyrics. But on A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships, they pull out all the spots in terms of songwriting. These lyrics convey emotions & messages perfectly. Matt's great singing helps too. The most obvious downside of this album is its unoriginal sound. There are many songs in this album that sounds like other bands & artists. At this point I think they are doing this on purpose. Just look at The Man Who Married A Robot. It is a clear reference / parody to their OK Computer interlude Fitter Happier but with more The 1975 approach. Or the synthpop bop It's Not Living (If It's Without You). It is a total 80s pop tribute that even could be on their previous album. So if we could put that problem aside all of the songs here are perfectly fine. They are catchy, have great production and songwriting. There is a clear theme & story in this album and it is cohesive in its story telling. Congrats to Matt for putting the crack aside and making a great album that shows his true capacity.

Fav Tracks: I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes), Love It If We Made It, Be My Mistake, It's Not Living (If It's Not Without You), Give Yourself A Try, How To Draw / Petrichor, Sincerity Is Scary

iTunes Artwork for 'Primal Heart (by Kimbra)'

6. Kimbra - Primal Heart

Genre: Pop, Art Pop

Kimbra has always been under the radar. Her debut album Vows was a stunning debut that showcased her voice and artistic vision. It had some hits like Settle Down and Cameo Lover which are one of the finest pop songs of this decade. Then she decided to go for a more experimental route and released The Golden Echo. It recieved mixed reaction from fans and critics. The production of TGE had so much going on, it was crazy. What she was doing on that album was great but the execution was a bit messy. Now we have her third studio album, Primal Heart. First of all **** Pitchfork for panning Primal Heart. 5.9? Bitch please. Primal Heart also had no representation on any publication's year-end list (well she is having now :mandown: ) . If we get back to the album, Primal Heart uses much more electronic elements compared to her previous efforts. She uses sampling now. Lyrics are clever and well written. She is oozing charisma on this album. Top of the World for example. It is such an unexpected banger, Kimbra + Yeezus? Hell yeah! There are some songs that are nodding to her old songs. Past Love could've easily been on Vows. Right Direction and Lightyears are sleek 80s pop songs that follow a different route from the other tracks. Still,  they ruin the album's flow. Version of Me is a STUNNING ballad. One of her best songs, period. The abstract closer Real Life is obviously meant to be a closer but it is a bit head scratching. I think it ends the album very abruptly. It doesn't matter though, Primal Heart is still a smooth, cohesive pop album. Kimbra releases yet another great effort, but it is still getting overlooked. Don't sleep on her :fish2:

Fav Tracks: Top of the World, Recovery, Black Sky, Lightyears, Version of Me, Hi Def Distance Romance, Human, The Good War

iTunes Artwork for 'I'm All Ears (by Let's Eat Grandma)'

5. Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears

Genre: Art Pop

Next on my list, we have the elder abuser cannibal underage bitches: Let's Eat Grandma!!! I don't know what they are on but they did some trippy **** on this album. I first knew about them with the SOPHIE co-produced banger Hot Pink, which is at #7 on my tracks list,. The energy they exhibit is crazy. I'm All Ears never gets boring or a chore to finish. It always manages to get your attention. Duo's songwriting is hilarious and out of the box ("I pave the backstreet with the mist of my brain"). There are many moments on I'm All Ears that makes you confused and entertained at the same time. The longer songs on I'm All Ears are a trip. Let's Eat Grandma decide to take their time instead of rushing a catchy pop song. Donnie Darko and Cool & Collected are two 9+ minutes songs that has many sections in themselves. Rest of the album has shorter tracks ranging from 3 minutes to 5. It's Not Just Me and I Will Be Waiting are cute pop songs. Ava is a piano ballad that recalls Kate Bush ( oop they are triggered now, don't eat me please :dancehall3: ). The interludes Missing Call (1) and The Cat's Pyjamas are pointess and don't add much to the album. Overall, I'm All Ears is a great album that contains many genres and themes in itself. The most crazy thing about I'm All Ears is how cohesive it is even though it has so much going on. Let's Eat Grandma's really pulled through, a highlight of this year.

Fav Tracks: Falling Into Me, Hot Pink, It's Not Just Me, Donnie Darko, Cool & Collected

iTunes Artwork for 'Safe in the Hands of Love (by Yves Tumor)'

4. Yves Tumor - Safe In The Hands of Love

Genre: Trip Hop, Experimental

Last year, we had Arca as the *** who makes freaky avantgarde music, this year we have Yves and his instantly iconic album Safe In The Hands of Love. Yves' previous efforts were abstract electronic pieces that heavily relied on sampling. They had not much vocals. It's weird to say but Safe In The Hands of Love is more "pop" compared to them. Album's lead single Noid is a straight up pop song. It's a song about the opression black people face and its emotional toll on Yves. Second single Licking An Orchid is a trip hop song that features one of the best vocal performances in the album. James K and Yves' voices go very well together. It is probably the calmest song on Safe In The Hands of Love. Economy of Freedom & Honesty are the electronics cuts. Economy of Freedom kinda reminds me of Arca tbh, especially on the breakdown part. After the stunning single Lifetime album takes a much much more experimental path. Hope In Suffering is outright crazy. The lyrics so vivid and brutal, they are like the script of a gore horror movie. Recognizing The Enemy is a slowburner that induces anxiety. It builds up slowy and explodes in the end. All The Love We Have Now is a nice break after the hard hitting tracks. The closer Let The Lioness Flow In You is a banger. It has insane drum work (like rest of the album). It is probably the most noisy track on the album. Going track by track I realize how much I like this album. Yves really did THAT.

Fav Tracks: Recognizing The Enemy, Lifetime, Noid, Honesty, Economy of Freedom, Let The Lioness Flow In You Freely

iTunes Artwork for 'Honey (by Robyn)'

3. Robyn - Honey

Genre: Pop

After 8 ****ing years, Robyn finally releases Honey after 2010's pop staple Body Talk. Now, I can't talk enough about Robyn's impact on modern pop music. Many musicians cite her as an influence because her songwriting is legendary. It's no different on her new album Honey. Topics on Honey differ, she sings about love, heartbreak, forgiveness, sex, going to the beach to eat something, never singing about heartbreak etc etc. I think the main point of Honey is Robyn's connection with her fans. This is like a gift to them after being disconnected for many years. The lead single Missing U is just about that. When the song first dropped I was in love with it, it is everything we need from Robyn. It's another dance song that have emotional lyrics, kinda recalling Dancing On My Own. Honey is Robyn's clubbiest album to date. Songs like Between The Lines, Honey and Send To Robin Immidiately are songs that you can bop to it when you hear it in a club. There are still pop songs on Honey though (duh this is Robyn we are talking about). The bittersweet closer Ever Again is 80s inspired. She promises to never sing about heartbreak again which is a tough promise for Robyn ("I'm only gonna sing about love / Ever again"). Ever Again reminds me of Niki & The Dove and their latest album. They are both Swedish after all. It's In The Music is a cute throwback. It is probably the sweetest song on Honey. Beach2k20 is a distraction from the album. She sings a group conversation about deciding where to eat. It contains Robyn's classic playful persona and probably it is her weirdest song to date. Honey is an album that never lets you down for a moment. It is perfectly crafted by Robyn. I'm sure she will keep releasing immaculate pop songs even in her 40s.

Fav Tracks: Ever Again, Human Being, Honey, Baby Forgive Me, Beach2k20, 

iTunes Artwork for '7 (by Beach House)'

2. Beach House - 7

Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegaze

Unfortunately, Beach House misses the #1 spot with their breathtaking 7th album: well... 7. Beach House probably had their best re-invention since Teen Dream with 7. They were criticized about sounding the same after Teen Dream. But 7 changes their sound a bit. They go for a more psychedelic and dreamy sound on this album. Co-producer Sonic Boom makes this transition smoother. The opener Dark Spring is the best example of this transition. It opens the album abruptly. There is so much going on the background. Guitars are like crying and distorted to the point where they are not guitars anymore. The second single Dive is a song with 2 sections. First section is like a hazy build-up to the second one. When the song hits a certain point it explodes with guitars and Victoria's heavenly singing. Dive is probably the dreamiest song on 7. Talking about psychedelic sound, the lead single Lemon Glow is a trippy masterpiece (also was my SOTY eeooow). It was the lead single from this album so you could understand that 7 was coming strong. Deep cuts on 7 are less impactful compared to the singles but they are still great. Pay No Mind is another classic for Beach House. It is a chill song that makes you want to take a walk alone at night. The closer Last Ride worried us Little Bitch Hoes for a moment because it kinda hinted at a break up. Thankfully, it's not the case. Last Ride closes the album perfectly. It is the longest song on 7. Beach House's creative roll still lasts after 7 albums and they are not planning to stop. 7 is not just another great addition to their catalog but a career defining moment for the band.

Fav Tracks: Dive, Lemon Glow, Black Car, Pay No Mind, Last Ride, Dark Spring, Woo

iTunes Artwork for 'OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES (by SOPHIE)'

1. SOPHIE - Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides

Genre: Experimental, Bubblegum Bass

Are we really surprised at this :dies: Well I had no other choice, SOPHIE totally blew my mind :jonny:. This album is not just a groundbreaking electronic effort but an universal message to all the LGBT+ people around the world. I'm sure many LGBT+ people ,including me, found strength and some kind of confidence with this album. Sonically, this is a departure from SOPHIE's bubbly and synthetic compilation, Product. Songs on Oil are personal stories instead of being a parody of pop culture. SOPHIE doesn't lose her sense of humor in the process though. Ponyboy is a hard hitting kink song. I'm sure it had many people shook because of its next level bass kicks. Bass kick indeed because it feels like SOPHIE is kicking my head (:deserves:). Album's centerpieces are the trans anthems: It's Okay To Cry, Immaterial and Faceshopping. The lyrical content they have is so strong. I never knew that SOPHIE would be this good at songwriting. Mozart's Sister (now goes by Cecile Believe, check her music out) helps those lyrics come alive with her outstanding singing. Is It Cold In The Water? has mind blowing vocals. Cecile Believe stoles the show with her stunning vocal runs. Is It Cold In The Water is probably SOPHIE's most life affirming song. On the next track. Infatuation. SOPHIE uses vocal manipulations. It is more lowkey compared to the rest of the album but it takes an unexpected turn towards the end. It turns into something totally abstract and utterly mind blowing. Not Okay is cute transition to the album's ambient / drone piece Pretending. Many people deemed Pretending as just "noise" but they are obviously not listening to the same song as I am. First of all the sound design that this song has is something not they ****ing done, this is proffesional like. And finally the closer Whole New World / Pretend World is about SOPHIE's new world. It is like the perfect closer to this album. The ambient cut Pretend World is the stronger part of this song. It gives the perfect "final" feel to the album. It's crazy that this album is just a beginning for SOPHIE. She is probably the most innovative electronic artist of this decade and there is nothing stoping her from doing even more mind blowing (how many times I used this word again?) stuff. ALBUM OF THE ****ING YEAR

Fav Tracks: All OF THEM :jonny5:

Edited by Sbbmsve

Ba-l-ks-z-1.png

indir.jpg Thank you for joining me on my Best Of and for your lovely comments :heart2: Here is a lil' recap thing I did

fin.png

On 12/30/2018 at 7:43 PM, Eeveelution said:

You know what... :rip: Not you kind of lashing the album even though it's so high :deserves:

I didn't know you were a Tirzallah stan :eek: the taste LEAPT out. We're on the right side of history x

Mitski is too low but you've come a long way from lashing her in the album thread. :clap3: 

**** die Tirzallah laughs :deserves: I was giving fair criticism but I might have dragged her :mandown: Well I like it but it's nowhere near my top 10 :fan: 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:29 PM, madonnas said:

I love the short songs.  Don't waste my time just give me all the good seconds you have, then onto the next one.

The others are good, though except tizrah lol.

Love how all the Janelle stans are dragging DC but putting it on their best of lists anyway. :deadbanana4: The way it's good and bad at the same time. 

Our relationships with Dirty Computer is complicated.m4a :fan: 

On 12/30/2018 at 9:57 PM, Body Electrician said:

Tirzah above Mitski ?

cute picks :clap3: 

Thank you :heart2: Have Tirzallah in your life though

On 12/30/2018 at 10:12 PM, theblackestday said:

You did NOT just try it Image result for cupcakke knife gif

Anyways. Proud of you for seeing the light with Mitski, even if she still deserved better :grimes~1: points were made with that writeup though, I can't lie. Kinda shook at Aviary making it and this high, I remember when you couldn't finish it :dies:  but not even you would be blind to such an accomplished piece of work :deserves: The others... tumblr_inline_ognmuw8x3u1tumrnf_500.gif

tumblr_inline_p0msjr363Q1v17icl_250.gif

On 12/30/2018 at 10:54 PM, TRF. said:

People dragging Janelle... I don't get it! Make that make sense! :angry:

They have some points :mandown: 

On 12/31/2018 at 5:47 PM, World Eater said:

Not :ummm: fdjjnfdjf :ahh: Sis is going ✈️ global :clap3:

I may have dragged Us to the pits, but I still enjoy it .t hide

Cocoa Sugar, Slide, Be the Cowboy, Godvotion and Chris, big points as Trump says or something like that :clap3:

I knew you would like it, admit it you hoes :fan: 

this top 10 is LIT 

IAPU, ABIIOR, Honey, IAE, 7, SOPHIE :jonny5: Talent truly prevailed

that back album cover is cute stuff but it's murdering my eyes

A top 10! Glad to see someone else put Kimbra and KKB top 10. :deserves:

Let's Eat, Yves, Robyn, Ms. Girls (I screamed @ that writeup) :clap3: 

Beach House #2 again. :rip: Victoria and Alex must be fuming that the indieheauxs abandoned them.

Sophie is a deserving winner! Nice countdown overall, your writeups are always a kii.

Girl when I tell you I hollered throughout reading this update

KKB, US Girls, LEG, Yves, Beach House (top 2 and ain't number one) tumblr_inline_p34jg26nzT1qgcevw_540.gif

Pretends_to_be_Shocked.gif @ SOPHIE winning but it is what she absolutely deserves :jonny5:

The 1975 being snuck in though... not even gonna start on Prolapsed Asshole image0.jpg?width=373&height=301

Nonetheless bitch this entire countdown was a serve and you snapped severely :serve:

The taste and humor you exhibited mKlAXZh.gif and the STH promo :deserves:

...Till next time

left18.gif

• ATRL Moderator

Top 5 giving us future classics of 2018!  I wouldn't rank a couple of them as high though but your #1 is great so IDC

ROBYN'S ALBUM IS SOO GOOD, I THINK YOU SNAPPED BY PUTTING IT IN THE LIST, SIS. GOOD FOR YOU.

left18.gif

YOUR WRITE UPS SLAY.

left18.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.