• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tropical

• Legend E

• lhdang2000

• potent

Real Friends :clap3: amazing song and a grower, should've been last singles instead of Boringness 

• ATRL Moderator

I didn't really listen to a lot of Kim Petras, maybe I should check her out.

I do think Kim Petras has promise, I'm not familiar with those particular songs though.

I don't know this song, but I'll check it out after I finish my BO duty today. :duca:

In the Next Life is my favorite from the EP :flame: and Boo Bitch! is a nice continuation of course.

She really snapped on Vol 1 and I wasn't expecting it. Hopefully we're getting a sequel next October

vNouqX5.jpg 

14. Bùa Yêu
- Bích Phương

TuyLN9L.jpg

This is the second of two songs on my list that I'm convinced nobody will know (the first was Catie Turner's "21st Century Machine"). Now I'm well aware 99% of you don't know of this Vietnamese bop that just so happens to be an UTTER smash but it really does go off. I spent 3 months living in Vietnam this year and the most prominent song that was blasting from every radio was always legend Bích Phương and this SMASH. It's on spotify (you can just type "bua phuong") but ugh - it has such a vibe. I swear to god if the song was in English and sung by someone sultry like Camila, Selena or Ariana it would have blown the fuck up.

Hell, even @Kworb stans this damn bop - he submitted it to be on the Spotify moderator's playlist a month or so back. (it's not there any more but you should check it out). This song is a very rich, summery, tropical, mellow, acoustic-intro that builds and builds into an extremely catchy, infectious melody. Even though I can't understand a damn word it's still a great song with a great video. I highly recommend you at least track it down here on YouTube. If you appreciate good pop - you'll appreciate this song. 

I hope you check it out! ? The video is cute too.

R.E.M. is amazing. Great usage of Ariana’s vocal talent

Also I’ll check out #14 ?

• ATRL Moderator

The Bich Phuong song is cute.

Doesn't she have another song out this year? I remember liking it better. 

OMG @ Bùa Yêu making your Best Of. :jonny: 

People actually know music from my country. :jonny: 

I screamed so louddddd! :jonny: 

Have you tried her album? It was really good. :jonny: 

bVBQc0Y.jpg 

13. Mariners Apartment Complex
- Lana Del Rey

coHsT15.jpg

After absolutely stanning Lana in her hey-day and OBSESSING over the album Ultraviolence (*insert memories of me driving around alone at night in Hokkaido, Japan, crying here*) then I found both Honeymoon and Lust for Life a bit of a snooze and I kinda checked out from what she was up to.... UNTIL suddenly one day I felt a strong wind in the air, and suddenly an enormous gust picked up and snatched my wig FRESH from my scalp - and yes, that triumphant gust was Lana's return to form on legendary track "Mariners Apartment Complex."

I think it's a very sophisticated song - it tells a story, it's weirdly location specific, it paints an image of the character's involved in the song's love story and I love the way the song rises and falls between verse and chorus. Plus the lengthy piano intro is very theatrical and the way it leads into the gentle guitar strums ugh - it really just reminds me that music is art, not just disposable sounds for gays to bop to. People actually spend a lot of work making sure these songs sound nice and have pleasant melodies and lyrics - and yet we give our faves so little credit for our gurls and their artistry. I guess some people who claim undeserved songwriting credits or aren't particularly involved in the production of their music give the rest of the gurls a bad name. (I think it's fine to have songwriters - god knows not every amazing songwriter can also have a stunning voice, but just be honest about it - from both sides.)

Anyway - Lana won me back, and then she also released "Venice Bitch" which I love (but isn't on my top 25 sadly, but definitely would've made my top 50). 

Sorry ladies - some of these replies are later AF! But I'm here now.

zm2anBp.gif 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:22 PM, Legend E said:

Sober is Demi's magnum opus :cries: 

I agree SO much :skull: 

Demi really showcased her vocals and songwriting on here. I have so much respect for her!

On 12/12/2018 at 11:17 PM, Superpower said:

I Know is pop masterpiece :jonny5:

Everything Aly & AJ have been releasing this past year has really been next level. :jonny2: 

On 12/12/2018 at 11:29 PM, prézli said:

Sober :clap3: 

Stan for A vocalisT.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:32 PM, Coklek92 said:

You guys can hate her but it can't be denied that Chun-Li is a masterpiece. Nicki did that :jonny5:

It really is like her best ever work. Hell, I played Street Fighter and played as "Chun-Li" in honour of Nicki this past weekend. :keir: 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:16 AM, JGibson said:

Sober :worship:

You better stan bitch. You never know - maybe Demetria will be back to bless the pop world with another "Cool for the Summer."

On 12/13/2018 at 5:47 AM, lhdang2000 said:

Yasss @ Sober. :jonny: 

I was shocked when this came out. :jonny: 

And what happened after its release makes this song even sadder. :jonny: 

I know. :'( What happened post-"Sober" seems so prophetic.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:03 AM, potent said:

Sober :clap3: 

I did see Catie’s audition but that was the only performance other than the one where she forgot the words :rip: 

Mess! Catie performed some great tracks. I loved her "Once Upon a Dream" and "Bad Romance" covers. Oh and she performed another AMAZING original song called "Pity" that had Katy shook AF.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, Remmy said:

My My My! :alexz: But wow at you paying him dust until then, Blue Neighbourhood has some bops as well!
Chun-Li is cute, Sober heartbreaking, yesss at I Know :jonny5: Ten Years deserved everything and more.

For some reason I don't find Troye terribly endearing, but I like his music lately.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:21 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

Honey :jonny5: it's like literally honey for ears :jonny: I need Girls demo tho :eli: 

It really is honey for the ears - I can just imagine laying in and swirling around in a pool of honey listening to this. What's this Girls song? ?

On 12/13/2018 at 5:00 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

REM is cute bop, but I don't get all the hype around it tbh :rip: 

Is there hype around it? Most stans seem to not use.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:03 PM, theblackestday said:

R.E.M. :heart2: agree with the first paragraph of your writeup

Glad you approve.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:13 PM, Scotty said:

MMM :heart2: invented homosexuality

Troye's strut in the video is FIERCE.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:39 PM, thecptz said:

omg honey and r.e.m :jonny5:

r.e.m slaying me so hard i'd like to cry

Same when I first heard R.E.M. S h o o k..

On 12/13/2018 at 7:38 PM, Prismee said:

r.e.m is a grower :clap3: 

You sure it's not a show-er?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:03 PM, Mark Rih said:

R.E.M :clap3: the best non-Max song on Sweetener :clap3:

Stan sis, stan.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:45 PM, prézli said:

Honey is ok.

thecptz

Mess - it's a jam! 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:40 PM, Superpower said:

Honey is a masterpiece.

REM, the Beyoncé rihject :clap3: 

Nnn Bey's version is really cute too but I'm glad Ari had it. Too fluffy for 2018 Bey.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, madonnas said:

R.E.M. is like the 4th best on Sweetner :clap3:  

Hmmm maybe haha but I still like it almost the most.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:07 AM, FancyMoonlight said:

mmmmm this taste :jonny:

You better stan! Check out the Vietnamese song I posted earlier on this page - it goes off.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:10 AM, Vilppu said:

REM and honey are both pretty good, stood out on albums which just slightly missed the mark for me

I'd kinda agree with that. I love Sweetener but it's like slightly off.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:51 AM, lhdang2000 said:

R.E.M is pretty overrated to me tho. 

It's better than Beyonce's version tho. 

Definitely better than Bey's version.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:11 AM, KasioKas said:

You nailed it with this write-up. I agree completely. 

Thanks sis! 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:42 AM, Eeveelution said:

R.E.M. and Honey. :clap3: Serving taste so far!

Have I ever served anything else?

On 12/14/2018 at 8:11 AM, artangel said:

Honey :jonny5:

Honey + peanut butter on toast = :flame: 

On 12/14/2018 at 10:16 AM, Remmy said:

R.E.M. is cute, definitely more tolerable than other tracks, but if I made Sweatener into a 8-track EP then it wouldn't be included. Honey :heart2: A bit of a grower, for some reason I wasn't into it until I listened with the rest of the album.

I feel like "R.E.M." kinda is like the heart of the album, which the title track should be but isn't. It's just chill and vibing. It's the "we vibin'" Ari was talking about in NTLTC.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, Tsareena said:

:clap3: R.e.m./ honey two great tracks

Both jams, we been knew.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, Vilppu said:

aw i hope you can come back soon !

did not care for 1999 at first but the video rly made it, i enjoy it now. party for one also has a great mv but i still don't like the song and i wanted to so much ?

I'm sure you forgot what you were replying to - I said "1999" made me nostalgic cause I won't be able to go home and "take a ride through my old neighbourhood" for ages cause I'm living overseas. I think I'll have to wait until mid-2019 unfortunately.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Wow what a perfect write-up on REM. This is exactly what makes it my favorite track too but you explained it WAY better.

Also, Honey, Party of One >>>> 1999 is cute too!

Thanks! Glad to have made a point or two. Never know if anyone reads anything in these lol.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:22 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

1999 is such a great pop track :jonny: I would've prefer solo version tho :eli: 

PFO is.. cute, but nowhere near to Emo tracks 

Yeah tea, Troye's bit is cuTe and all but not really needed.

On 12/15/2018 at 5:36 AM, Miguel! said:

I love "My My My!" and "Sober" from your list so far :jonny5:  The other songs are pretty great as well :clap3: 

Thank you!

On 12/15/2018 at 5:40 AM, Tom Vercetti said:

#20 through 16 looks good. 

And the rest? :keir: 

On 12/15/2018 at 5:47 AM, potent said:

1999 and Party for One are a slay! They were too new to get that high on my list, but they’re some of my favorite songs right now :jamming: 

Party for One is so good - I really love it. I love the final bit right now "back on my beat, back on my beat, party for one, if you don't care about me" now. How I feel about my love life tbh.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:18 AM, lhdang2000 said:

I love your write-ups. :smitten: 

To me, Party for One is a miss. She was away for a while and claimed to have written around a hundred tracks (which is good for 5 albums?), and she gave me the same thing of not even stuffs from E-mo-tion but album tracks from KISS honestly. :dies: 

1999 is a cute track, I was hooked when I played it the first time. 

Thank you - hope they provide some good light reading. It's kinda true, "Party for One" is very familiar ground. She could've pushed the boat out a tad more. 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:27 AM, Remmy said:

1999 :jamming: Charli and Troye both released better singles this year, but it's a fun one. Party for One mmm :party:

Yeah it's not either's finest work - but 1999s a bop nonetheless. 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, mokitsu said:

:heart2::clap3: 

Thanks. ❤️ 

On 12/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Jet said:

Party For One, REM, 1999. Honey...bop after bop after bop whew :jonny:

They never stop in this top 25. :clap3: 

On 12/16/2018 at 12:56 AM, madonnas said:

PFO and 1999 are good songs by good artists but we know they are capable of more. 

Very true. Both kinda selling themselves short for a quick bit of radio play. (welp Carly)

On 12/16/2018 at 1:16 AM, kelly-clarkson said:

Real Friends :clap3:

Such a jam. 

On 12/16/2018 at 2:03 AM, KasioKas said:

A very relatable track, love real friends:clap3:

Same - it's so real and honest.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:38 AM, MP2K said:

The way I forgot what Carly her song even sounds like leads me to believe she didn't serve an ANTHEM as she usually does. Let me get in n see

Yeah sadly it doesn't deserve the title of "anthem" - unless you call it a "depressed single person rejected by who they like" anthem.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:00 AM, Legend E said:

Honey is such a slay :jonny5: 

Pure Manuka!

On 12/16/2018 at 9:17 AM, lhdang2000 said:

Real Friends. :clap3: 

Once again, I'll have to compliment your write-up. :jonny: 

Thank you - again! ? 

On 12/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, thecptz said:

wig i really like your write-up ❤️

Wig in orbit? :gaycat1:

On 12/16/2018 at 9:19 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

Real Friends :clap3: amazing song and a grower, should've been last singles instead of Boringness 

The power that that has, the access that that has.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:39 PM, geodancefreak said:

Nice list so far! :party:

Thank you!

On 12/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, prézli said:

Kim ? 

She can't STOP obliterating the pop world with gems.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, Legend E said:

I didn't really listen to a lot of Kim Petras, maybe I should check her out.

You really really REALLY should. Kim goes OFF time afte time.

On 12/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, potent said:

I do think Kim Petras has promise, I'm not familiar with those particular songs though.

I couldn't recommend Kim's new stuff more highly. She keeps snappingT!

My top 25 so far for those who don't wanna admire the delectable sticky & sweet imagery or read my painstakingly typed write-ups. :keir: :

25. Troye Sivan - My My My!

24. Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li

23. Aly & AJ - I Know

22. Demi Lovato - Sober

21. Catie Turner - 21st Century Machine

20. Robyn - Honey

19. Ariana Grande - R.E.M.

18. Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999

17. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One

16. Camila Cabello - Real Friends

15. Kim Petras - In The Next Life / Boo! Bitch!

14. Bích Phương - Bùa Yêu

13. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex

17 minutes ago, Reinvention said:

I'm sure you forgot what you were replying to

dhdhdjss it was like very early to me but even then WHAT was going through my mind :rip: it's hilariously stupid i'm sorry

the vietnamese song is gloriously produced. i'm not a big fan of the chorus but otherwise it's good so thanks for that

Miss Del Rey really snapped with Mariners Apartment Complex huh? I mean, VB outsold but we don't pit classics against each other

yes my wig is in orbit :alexz3:

MAC is great. and miss bich phuong snapped

te7wB42.jpg 

12. better off
- Ariana Grande

zHidAff.jpg 

At the risk of sounding very dramatic, the first time I heard “better off” it kinda broke me cause she so eloquently articulated my deepest insecurities and some of the lowest lows in my life. I definitely have some issues regarding communication and trust and I feel like I’ve constantly let down the people I’m dating, haven’t been able to give people what they want, and have just generally left a trail of broken hearts (not in a smug way - we liked each other, I wasn’t able to come through) and hurt feelings. I can see the disappointed face of every guy I’ve ever let down and it’s why this song just feels so depressingly honest.

“Know better than to bark up my tree just for me fall and leave.”

Anyway enough about me personally - but I’m definitely a SLIGHT mess when it comes to relationships lol. I think it’s a shockingly honest moment from Ari and I remember somewhere she said about the track that she had had the song for ages but was concerned about releasing it cause she was scared it would make everything she said “true.” I remember she said this during peak-Pete romance, so I imagine she maybe regrets releasing the song now, or perhaps it feels more honest and truthful for her than ever.

Either way - it’s an incredibly beautiful song and for me one of Sweetener’s greatest highlights.

1 hour ago, Reinvention said:

te7wB42.jpg 

12. better off
- Ariana Grande

zHidAff.jpg 

At the risk of sounding very dramatic, the first time I heard “better off” it kinda broke me cause she so eloquently articulated my deepest insecurities and some of the lowest lows in my life. I definitely have some issues regarding communication and trust and I feel like I’ve constantly let down the people I’m dating, haven’t been able to give people what they want, and have just generally left a trail of broken hearts (not in a smug way - we liked each other, I wasn’t able to come through) and hurt feelings. I can see the disappointed face of every guy I’ve ever let down and it’s why this song just feels so depressingly honest.

“Know better than to bark up my tree just for me fall and leave.”

Anyway enough about me personally - but I’m definitely a SLIGHT mess when it comes to relationships lol. I think it’s a shockingly honest moment from Ari and I remember somewhere she said about the track that she had had the song for ages but was concerned about releasing it cause she was scared it would make everything she said “true.” I remember she said this during peak-Pete romance, so I imagine she maybe regrets releasing the song now, or perhaps it feels more honest and truthful for her than ever.

Either way - it’s an incredibly beautiful song and for me one of Sweetener’s greatest highlights.

It's definitely one of the best songs on Sweetener and a career highlight as well :clap3: it's beautiful and one of Ari's most honest momentos so far. 

better off is a nice ballad, one of the better non-Pharrell songs on Sweetener. :mandown: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.