Yndda's 2018 Year-End Lists // 2nd batch out!

Samson

• ATRL Moderator

0W2Hinf.gif

hello and good morning! welcome to my year-end lists event thing, whatever you want to call it. in this event, we'll have two simple features:

- a list of my personal best songs of 2018 (30 or more i might just do an improv writing)

- a list of my personal worst songs of 2018 (including two albums x)

the schedule will be… well, none. i think i'll just release whenever i want. but… like, i'll mostly end up with a pattern. probably two or three entries a day.

i hope you guys enjoy! i might just start it tonight

Edited by Yndda

Ready to see what's on your best and worst lists :gaycat3: Hopefully nothing I like on the latter!

So ready for what's listed. 

Cool banner LOL

• ATRL Moderator
21 hours ago, volition said:

yes please

21 hours ago, jamesfog said:

perched x

21 hours ago, World Eater said:

0iiTk7f.gif

14 hours ago, Remmy said:

Ready to see what's on your best and worst lists :gaycat3: Hopefully nothing I like on the latter!

14 hours ago, theblackestday said:

graphic design is your passion

10 hours ago, JGibson said:

9 hours ago, Maddox said:

Perched!!

9 hours ago, Prismee said:

perched :) 

8 hours ago, Body Electrician said:

NnI7cJN.gif

6 hours ago, Sbbmsve said:

Perched

5 hours ago, The Lion King said:

Perched for the worst songs category :fan: 

2 hours ago, Mr. Loco said:

Cool banner LOL

44 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Wow at you giving me a seizure with the banner

hi xoxo first batch coming out shortly

2 minutes ago, Yndda said:

hi xoxo first batch coming out shortly

Did you really skip mine? Thanks. :skull: 

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, prézli said:

Did you really skip mine? Thanks. :skull: 

sorry jdsshk you know how poorly functional this site is

Edited by Yndda

• ATRL Moderator

best of 2018

pusha t – “santería”

daytona is most definitely one of the best LPs of 2018, but “santería” is most definitely the standout track from that LP. one of the darkest, atmospheric, murky tracks of 2018, “santería” is a song that is mostly composed with dark, swirling psychedelic guitars. combine this with a traditional 808 and hi-hat line, as well as an expertly-used isaac hayes drumline sample, and you have set a gripping, nocturnal atmosphere. and that’s not only it: the solemn instrumentation used when 070 shake croons and the beat change are f*cking insane.

the gloomy instrumentation that kicks in as 070 shake croons “ya te vas a la mañana… es el fuego que yo… conozco…” just amplifies her beautiful guest piece.

add to all of this pusha t’s clean-cut, sharp, precise flow and delivery and clever wordplay and heartbreaking lyrics in tribute to his late friend, and you have a masterpiece album cut of 2018.

angèle, roméo elvis – “tout oublier”

“tout oublier” is a song that laments about, in angèle’s own words, “the tyranny of happiness”. the song kicks off with a bouncy pop beat, where angèle sings:

it doesn’t exist without its opposite
one may find it easy to find it
happiness only exists to please, i want it
in the end, i begin to doubt
if i ever truly dreamt about it
is it a desire? sometimes i feel forced
[…] everything, you gotta forget everything
to believe it, you gotta forget everything
we play, but now i’ve played too much
this happiness, if i want it i’ll get it

and as the hook kicks in (“tout… il faudra tout oublier…”), the song ironically begins to pick up with a happier beat as angèle continues to lament happiness and how social standards make her feel forced to be happy.

her actual brother, roméo elvis, comes in with a few lines of his own, where he builds upon that idea and talks about how sometimes he even sees awkwardness and forced happiness in other people:

boredom is unconditional
i feel the awkwardness in the people who dance
try to forget that you’re alone
an old memory like ADSL…

and as this song continues, there’s a whole cheery atmosphere to it, which totally goes against the whole grain of the lyrics. and the music video is pretty odd too, which suits the contrast of the song itself.

this song almost feels like catharsis for angèle. in an interview for youtube music, she says that her profession occasionally makes her feel like she’s always forced to be happy, even if she’s feeling awful inside.

10cm – “mattress” (“매트리스”)

in 2018, k-indie seemed to have hit a new peak in quality and catchiness. 10cm’s “mattress” is no different.

“mattress” is a k-indie pop track from duo-now-solo artist 10cm, who typically makes indie music with a tinge of folk and sometimes a tinge of rock. in other words, they make cutesy café music that koreans love.

“mattress” is a song about romantic awkwardness in a couple:

i was trying to make some awkward jokes
but suddenly you fell asleep, so i was staring at your face
then i was overwhelmed with emotion for no reason
even though nothing was said

it also talks about the passionate love one feels for their lover, even in the most mundane of circumstances such as watching their lover sleep in their bed. in fact, the whole song just centres around them laying in bed doing nothing but. the singer talks about how he’s sorry for hogging the sheets and how he’ll not do it again… it’s nothing too stellar.

but the great part about this song is the raspy vocals, the cheesy romantic lyrics, the chill instrumentation… the song begins with a basic guitar and vocals, pretty acoustic. but then about halfway, the song goes from being quite acoustic to having some percussion with more bright and cheery guitars. one of the most refreshing songs of this year, no doubt.

worst of 2018

justin timberlake – "filthy", "supplies"

"filthy" – basically just a less sexy robin thicke with obnoxious synths. that is it. it's just not a good song. those weird "futuristic" synths along with some extremely uncomfortable lines that are meant to be hot and sexy, or something. he was trying to create some club banger thing but it just falls apart quickly after like, ten seconds. it's just not good.

"supplies" is what i was trying to segue into with the end of my blurb for the chainsmokers' "sick boy". like, if he's "the one with the level head" if "sh*t starts to go down", i think we're all f*cking doomed. in other words:

white boy migos, but with politics

tom macdonald – "whiteboy"
joyner lucas – "i'm not racist"

so the reason why i decided to put these two songs in one entry is because they're both examples of this new wave of sh*tty political rap music, consisting of song that try so very hard to be "woke", but when you actually read and hear the lyrics and the music for yourself, it all turns out to be a straight-up joke that only provides a surface-level, myopic view on race and its impacts on society.

tom macdonald is a canadian-moved-to-US rap artist who is white, if his name didn't indicate that enough. he's not a stranger to putting out "woke" hip-hop that catches controversy; his previous single, "helluvit", is basically some kind of f*ck-you to people telling him to be different when there was literally nobody telling him to be different because there was literally nobody paying attention to his ass in the first place, as well as the fact that he's literally an independent artist.

but anyways, to get back to the point: "whiteboy" can basically be summed up (lyrically) as this: "just because i'm white doesn't mean that i have to take responsibility for what my ancestors did".

if you're one to interpret race in society myopically and literally, this would make sense for you, whether or not you intend to interpret race in that way or not. but such train of thought misses the point by miles; the point isn't to say that becky is responsible for what her ancestors may have done in the 19th century. the point is to say that, even if chad isn't enslaving people or actively pushing for policy that harms people of colour in today's society, he still is benefiting from a system that was created by white people for white people. the beckys and chads of today are responsible for their actions. the point is that, if modern-day white culture is inseparable from historical injustices created by white people, then it should not exist. fortunately for many modern-day white people that aren't racist, that hardly tends to be the case. however, it seems as if artists like tom macdonald (and joyner lucas, who i'll get to next) lack the range and miss the nuance of these topics and issues that face us today.

ignoring the lack of nuance and sheer insensibility in macdonald's lyrics, his flow, enunciation, and the "beat" on this track are all abhorrent.

joyner lucas's "i'm not a racist" is a different story. it's myopic like macdonald's song. but it features ~both sides of the argument~, or whatever. one can also sum this song up in one sentence: "stop being mean to each other u guys!!!!11 just hug it out <333"

it features the supposed point of view of a racist trump-supporting white guy, and a liberal black person. my issue with this song is that it's literally auxiliary centrist p*rn. it's music made for white people's racist ass aunts to share on facebook without feeling uncomfortable.

the "white guy" on this track literally uses BOTH n words, the one that ends in 'a' and the one that ends in 'r'. and they legit hug it out at the end of the video for this song. the "white guy" on the track is literally also an alt-rightist, and it seems like joyner was actually trying to explain how the alt-rightist viewpoint of the world is f*cked, but it seems like it actually tried to humanise it.

the "black guy" on this track is a presumably liberal or otherwise politically aware black man. but then after humanising the alt-rightist's point of view, he seems to denature the black guy's point of view. the "black guy" says "i don't really like you white motherf*ckers" and "cracker", for f*ck's sake.

like the lyrical content and the premise of it all makes for a very cute and shareable music video à la childish gambino's "this is america"—save for the fact that childish gambino's song actually masterfully addressed race in modern society—but with a nuanced point of view, this song easily falls flat.

we didn't get queer marriage equality by hearing out homophobes. we didn't get the civil rights act by hearing out racists.

this whole idea of both sides being able to just "hear the other side out" and have it end with a kumbayah where everybody holds hands and sings together is literally centrist politics p*rn. especially if one side of the argument is an outright racist calling someone of "the other side" a literal slur. this is the type of political "woke" rap meant for racist white uncles everywhere to share on facebook without worrying about alienating anybody. it's inoffensive, provides no actual solution, and is mind-numbingly naïve.

23 hours ago, volition said:

yes please

22 hours ago, jamesfog said:

perched x

22 hours ago, World Eater said:

0iiTk7f.gif

15 hours ago, Remmy said:

15 hours ago, theblackestday said:

graphic design is your passion

11 hours ago, JGibson said:

11 hours ago, Maddox said:

Perched!!

10 hours ago, Prismee said:

perched :) 

10 hours ago, Body Electrician said:

NnI7cJN.gif

7 hours ago, Sbbmsve said:

Perched

6 hours ago, The Lion King said:

Perched for the worst songs category :fan: 

4 hours ago, Mr. Loco said:

Cool banner LOL

1 hour ago, Clueless said:

Wow at you giving me a seizure with the banner

@ChapelHooker @prézli @enxe @Tsareena

I don't know her @ like all of your fave songs, but I agree with the comments on the worst ones :eli:

Filthy and Supplies are equally disgusting, but it's Say Something and its faux-woke message that makes me the most angry

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.