KasioKas' BEST of 2018! - #1 Album/EP #1 SONG FINAL UPDATE!!

KasioKas

9 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

update the thread title xoxo

Dirty Computer :heart2: we love an AOTY nominated classic

Thanks babe I will!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KasioKas

• prézli

• Blue Rose

• TheWayWeWere

• ATRL Moderator

some really great tracks on fifty shades soundtrack
sad about queen... pretty great record
:clap3: chloe x halle. so proud of them 
victoria monet did that. she's so talented
todrick I-
dirty computer :clap3:

#100-81: Barbie Tingz and borderline are alright. Barbie Dreams is definitely the best from Queen, a fun  bop :jamming:
What a Heavenly Way to Die + Bloom :smitten: "but then I got the meaning behind the lyrical content and ended up really enjoying it." :eli:
Deserve :date: In my Liberation trinity for sure. Make Me Feel ahhh she snapped :jonny5: Should be higher than #97!

Barbie Dreams was so promising until that wack video came out :deadbanana:

Happy Without Me still punches me hard :jonny: should've been their breakout hit :jonny5: 

MMF is too low :'(

Deserve :smitten: 

Real Friends :clap3: should've been a single instead of Consequences :'( 

Didn't listen to Xtina's album but yay for Bloom. Troye has nice songwriting skills he just needs more oomph in his voice.

RdcnQ2p.png

SONGS LIST (80 - 61)

80. Pentatonix – “Stay”

600x600bf.jpg

(This is one of their best covers, the intro is excellent and I didn’t hear too much of the original but I love this version and prefer the harmonies here far more.)

70. Troye Sivan – “Lucky Strike”

71wsn UageL._SY355_.jpg

(One of the more upbeat pop songs on Bloom, and definitely more of the sound I was expecting after hearing the lead. This is a sexy pop song and unapologetically gay. I love that. It’s rare.

“Oh, I wanna tip toe through your bliss, boy

Get lost the more I find ya

Oh, don't wanna miss a second of this, boy

Hold tight and love me longer”

Whoever pens Troye’s music is good, whoever produces his music is damn good too. The outro is perfect. I just wish he knew how to ad lib and harmonise because someone who was more creative vocally could have made this song 10x better!)

79. Janelle Monáe – “Screwed” (feat. Zoë Kravitz)

Image result for Dirty Computer - Janelle Mon���¡e

69. Janelle Monáe – “I Like That”

Image result for Dirty Computer - Janelle Mon���¡e

(“I don’t really give a f**k if I was just the only one who likes that”

Enough said. Everything she says in this song is 100% relatable and beautifully written!

“I'm always left of centre and that's right where I belong

I'm the random minor note you hear in major songs”

“Uh, I remember when you laughed when I cut my perm off

And you rated me a six

I was like, "Damn"

But even back then with the tears in my eyes

I always knew I was the ****”

Love this, brilliant track by Janelle. SO deserving of her grammy nods.

78. Victoria Monet – “Wish I Never Met You”

8e08490f6a75ad240bddd5d4558532d7.397x397x1.png 

(I think this was the first song I heard from Victoria earlier this year and I was OBSESSED with it because she sounds so great here! I became very interested in her discog, because even though she helps pen some of Ariana’s best songs, she keeps a number of gems for herself, and the production is subtle but perfect here.)

68. Normani, Calvin Harris – “Checklist” (feat. Wizkid)

220px-Normani_x_Calvin_Harris.png

(So she finally went solo, and what an excellent double release it is! This is such a massive bop and coupled with “Slow Down” is a great introduction into the rnb/hip-hop genre. They may not be huge hits but it’s a great addition to her discog. I’m looking forward to what she releases in the future now.)

77.   Sabrina Carpenter – “Alien”

Image result for Sabrina Carpenter � �Alien�

(MAJOR thanks to @Bxtch for recommending Sabrina. What the f**k this girl is excellent. I’m so surprised she’s so young because she sounds grown and her voice is magical. I love it so much you have no idea. Not since Ariana have I loved a new girl’s vocals this much.

This song in particular is a really cute pop track with Jonas Blue that should’ve at least been a minor hit for her, the lyrics are meh but the production saves it.)

67. Victoria Monet – “Do You Like It”

e7c41377ad934d68cec815b747c0d6cfe30a8e18

76. Normani, Calvin Harris – “Slow Down”

220px-Normani_x_Calvin_Harris.png

66. Lauv – “Comfortable”

5a9f42a765bbeaecc98c77fd73b304f1.1000x1000x1.jpg 

75. Betty Who – “Taste“

Image result for Betty, Pt. 1 - EP������� - Betty Who

(A MASSIVE bop!! She sounds amazing here and the lyrics are sexy and ughhhh. Y’know, some of these songs are slow and beautifully written and i’ll write long paragraphs about them. But this is just a trashy bop and I love it idgaf.:jonny:

“All my cravings come at me

This ain't love, it's sacrifice

Oh my God, I can't behave

The worse they are

The better they taste”)

65. Ariana Grande – “better off”

Image result for Ariana Grande � �borderline� (feat. Missy Elliott)

(The closest thing to a ballad description on her album, and it’s completely heart breaking. She sings this song with conviction, yet there is a very obvious undertone that she perhaps doesn’t mean the lyrics she sings. I don’t ever want to experience what that feels like. It’s extremely emotive and to be honest, I had a slight difficulty replaying it because I couldn’t relate and it’s a really sad song.)

74. RAYE & Achi Avelino – “Slower”

Image result for RAYE & Achi Avelino � �Slower�

(The first entry from one of my favourite EP’s of the year! WHY isn’t RAYE more well know here, this song is quite literally the slower of the few songs on the EP but doesn’t falter in giving off a really feel-good vibe like the rest of the EP does; It’s a simple request, yes we clicked and the date may have gone well, but this isn’t a one-night stand situation, can we take it slower? Brilliant. I love her voice.)

64. Sabrina Carpenter – “Hold Tight” (feat. Uhmeer)

Image result for Sabrina Carpenter � �Hold Tight� (feat. Uhmeer)

(This grew on me and soon became one of my favourites on the EP. The rapper is just okay, but Sabrina carries this and the production aids her greatly in making a really dope pop song that’s really relatable to my lifestyle tbh.

“Not everybody needs our attendance”

“Not like I wanna keep you inside, yeah

But I was hoping we could switch up how we're spending our time”

We go out all the time, can we just switch it up, stay home and cuddle and just enjoy each other’s company. I just wanna hold tight to you and not go out. Literally same b***h. I love this song!) 

73. Ariana Grande – “sweetener”

(Quite underrated imo, sure the “hit it hit it flip it flip it” lyric is slightly jarring, but my goodness can you all just look past that and read the bigger message of the song. When life is complete sh**, which hers has been as of late, there’s that one special person that she can count on that completely changes her mood around, that lifts her out of the depression and is a joy to have around; and then... you know.. they f**k. And.. it’s great or whatever. :fan:

My point is, it’s fun and lighthearted and matches the theme of the album perfectly. The guy quite literally sweetens her bitter moments. That is so clever. The final verse is my favourite, and I imagine myself singing this to a future partner. I hope for a love like this!

“Said I don't know what I'd do without you in my life, it'd be so sour

I'm hoping that everybody can experience what we have now”

63. Christina Aguilera – “Twice”

Related image

(Vocally excellent as always, lyrically.. pretty good. Not great. It’s slightly repetitive in my opinion, and for a ballad of regret, could have been a bit more clear is what she’s singing about. I’m not sure if she’s singing about her life here or about a love she’s lost, I mainly like this because she sounds great vocally, and the chorus harmonies elevate the song, giving it a kind of haunting feel that I enjoy listening too.)

72. Lauv – “Come Back Home”

(If anyone hasn’t heard Lauv’s album I highly recommend it; this song in particular is alot slower, but tells a heartbreaking story of the singer leaving his lover, thinking he needed a getaway, doubt consuming his mind so much that he leaves, he feels he isn’t good enough, but that she’d remain. It’s a common theme of the album, not feeling good enough and having doubt in one’s ability to keep a relationship going. Maybe that’s just my interpretation. Love this.)

62. EriAm – “Higher”

Related image

(Severely underrated, but I have the pleasure of recently finding out Haben is working on her 1st album. Hopefully she is huge. Anyway, once again the girls have delivered exceptional vocals and great lyrics on an original track, as well as given a bunch of great covers this year. It’s a flex song, but the highlight of the song isn’t its lyrics, it’s how the girls sound together, rivalling bigger girl groups like 5th harmony in how they easily harmonize and how magical they sound solo.)

71. Sabrina Carpenter – “Lie for Love”

Image result for Sabrina Carpenter � �Lie for Love�

(This is legit the only song I use from this soundtrack, because Sabrina sounds great here and the lyrics aren’t as god awful as most of the other tracks featured. While this song is slightly repetitive, it served as a reminder to me that Sabrina was one of my greatest finds of 2018. The final pre-chorus and chorus in particular make this a really enjoyable listen!) 

61. Lauv – “Adrenaline”

(One of the highlights of Lauv’s album, slightly more upbeat, I love the way he sings here, and could actually see Charlie Puth singing this as well. It has a slight throwback vibe that I find intoxicating, and the instrumental compliments his voice very, very nicely.)

Lucky Strike and the Janelle songs are a slay!

Twice is pretty good too.

• ATRL Moderator

I like That is my least fave on DC :blush:  

Screwed, Slow Down, Alien, Checklist, I Like That & Twice are all so underrated tbh

Ari coming thru with Sweetener and Better Off :clap3: 

Janelle slaying. Too low tbh :jonny5:

Lucky Strike’s production :jonny2:

Hold Tight's production is GOLD. :jonny: 

The back-to-back Janelle's entries. :clap3: 

RdcnQ2p.png

SONGS LIST (60 - 41)

60. RAYE, Kojo Funds & RAY BLK – “Crew”

(She sounds so damn sexy singing this song, and it’s such a slap in the face to whoever she’s singing about. The instrumental is bloody brilliant and gives off a bad*** vibe, it’s a big f*** you to the guy “who’s so good at telling lies” and I love it! This should of been playing at every club in London, with people screaming the chorus, it should’ve been a hit.)

50. Charlie Puth – “Empty Cups”

Image result for Charlie Puth � voicenotes

59. Janelle Monáe – “Crazy, Classic, Life”

Image result for Dirty Computer - Janelle MonÃ��Ã�¡e 

49. Bazzi – “Beautiful” (feat. Camila Cabello)

220px-Bazzi_-_Cosmic_album_cover.jpg

(The only reason this made my list, and so high, is because of Camila, because although I enjoyed the album as a whole, this was mostly ignored. As a duet, it’s beautiful, and Camila adds a great deal to the quality of the song lyrically and vocally.)

58. Christina Aguilera – “Like I Do” (feat. GoldLink)

Related image 

(I don’t know who the rapper is but this is one of the very, VERY few cases in 2018 where a rap feature was a brilliant idea. These two work so damn well together, as Christina rather smugly sings the lyrics, flexing her experience in bed. I was SO glad to see this grammy nominated, because it’s one of my favourite collabs of 2018 easily, and a highlight on Liberation.)

48. Ariana Grande – “everytime”

(Why is this so low? Because other than the final chorus it doesn’t really hold my attention for very long, I find it boring to be honest, but when the album was first released I too thought it was top 3 of the album. Now if it comes on shuffle, i’ll listen, but only in anticipation of the final chorus. Maybe i’ll fall in love with it again sometime. The lyrics at least are telling of the type of girl Ariana is, and those revealing lyrics are something I appreciate.)

57. EriAm (Haben Abraham) – “This”

(I could have included alot of her excellent covers like God is a Woman this year, but instead just kept this original song. Although it’s short, I love how nonchalantly she sings the words, the background vocals are layered really nicely, and the final runs in the song I couldn’t stop replaying. She’s so freaking talented and I look forward to the debut album she’s currently working on!)

47. Clean Bandit – “Solo” (feat. Demi Lovato)

Image result for Clean Bandit � �Solo� (feat. Demi Lovato)

(A risky, cheeky, masturbation song, masked as a club dance bop. Demi was perfect for this, as her belts and high energy go well with this uptempo beat. Clean Bandit's scored another hit this year.) 

56. Jessie J – “Someone's Lady”

220px-R.O.S.E._(Jessie_J_album)_cover.jpg

(This song is so sad, she sounds so depressed here singing “I just want to be someone’s lady”. There’s an eery sense of loneliness, coupled with beautiful runs scattered throughout. This is a highlight on the album. The instrumental is minimal, just a piano, giving her voice centre stage, and you can’t help but feel sympathy when it’s over. I’m not sure what the outro instrument is but I love it as well.)

46. Ariana Grande – “thank u, next”

Image result for Ariana Grande � �thank u, next�

(I knew, or at least hoped Ariana would get a #1 in 2018, but that it would be from Sweetener. I certainly did not see it being a surprise release, a risky option that only bigger artists opt for and pull off successfully. The fact that it’s still #1 weeks later is even more impressive. Is it the honesty of the lyrics, the positivity with which she sends off her past lovers, or the relatability of the latter half of the song’s lyrics and its chorus that the gp fell in love with? For me it’s all of the above.) 

55. Christina Aguilera – “Fall in Line” (feat. Demi Lovato)

Related image 

(Another great collab by Xtina, choosing Demi to belt with and them both executing it so well, with the lyrics having a sense of female empowerment. I mostly like the song for the power vocals, there was a lack of these this year.)

45. Little Mix – “Think About Us”

61USG-yt9QL._SY355_.jpg 

(Every LM album has an excellent pop track where Perrie goes OFF vocally, but LM5 (horrible album name) has several! This is an extremely great pop song, it’s nothing special lyrically or harmonically but it’s more of a dance track so that’s okay.)

54. Charlie Puth – “Done For Me” (feat. Kehlani)

Image result for Charlie Puth â�� voicenotes 

(The instrumental first of all, excellent!! Charlie vs. Kehlani verse by verse with the final chorus together, really well done by both! We got no new Kehlani tracks this year that i'm aware of so I was pleased to hear this, and she nails it.)

44. Jessie J – “I Believe in Love”

220px-R.O.S.E._(Jessie_J_album)_cover.jpg

(This song hit me like a ton of bricks, because the lyrics are exactly how I feel and it’s like she was singing about me personally. The lyrics are what I love the most and it now holds a special place in my heart, and Jessie’s excellent vocals are ofcourse very complimentary to the track. This is one of my favourite Jessie songs ever. :cries:)

53. RAYE, Maleek Berry & Nana Rogues – “Confidence”

(This has a really breezy vibe, it stands out on the EP because of its sound, less of a dance bop and I love the fluid instrumental accompanied by Raye’s vocals.)

43. Bazzi – “Why”

220px-Bazzi_-_Cosmic_album_cover.jpg

(What I love about this song is that Bazzi is completely honest that he’s an a**hole. No excuses. It’s right there in the lyrics. “Tell me why do you still love me”. You don’t get guys admitting that a whole lot. Refreshing. It should make me hate him, but it’s a good song, can’t help it.)

52. Nicki Minaj – “Good Form”

Image result for 19. Queen - Nicki Minaj

(This is such a bop. This is so sexy. Nicki shines on this song. The chorus is addictive. It’s a career highlight for Nicki in my opinion.)

42. Ariana Grande – “blazed” (feat. Pharrell Williams)

(I loved this song the second I heard it. Pharell isn’t bad here but Ariana’s style of singing here is really cool, and the chorus! It was more of a lower register with great background vocals. The outro gives me strong Brandy vibes, those outro runs are well done.)

51. Ariana Grande – “get well soon”

(Extremely uplifting, my favourite part of this whole song is the consistent “Get better! Get better! Get better!” background vocals. It tugs my heartstrings and makes me hopeful. Whenever I was down i’d listen to this this year and it kinda helped. This slowly grew into one of my very favourite songs on the album.

The only thing I don’t like is the lyric “unfollow fear and just say you are blocked”. It comes off extremely childish and cringey and something Katy Perry would say/sing. A better lyric could’ve gone here, but I get that alot of depression comes from social media these days and that was a link to that source.., nevertheless it’s slightly irritating for me personally.)

41. Charlie Puth – “Somebody Told Me”

Image result for Charlie Puth � voicenotes

(Charlie accuses the girl he’s seeing of cheating, and he sounds really great doing it... Unlike Troye, he’s not afraid to be creative with his voice, hitting high notes effortlessly. It makes for a more appealing track with better replay value.)

On 12/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, The Lion King said:

I can imagine that taylor playlist being most people's way of discovering bazzi which makes him shading reputation even more of a kii :dies: 

nn did he? I thought they were friends yikes.

On 12/15/2018 at 10:48 PM, Bxtch said:

We love a bottoming anthem 

nn :fan:

On 12/15/2018 at 10:58 PM, Tsareena said:

some really great tracks on fifty shades soundtrack
sad about queen... pretty great record
:clap3: chloe x halle. so proud of them 
victoria monet did that. she's so talented
todrick I-
dirty computer :clap3:

Victoria is really talented, she really impressed me this year with her EP's. Todrick's album is great, for the most part.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:54 AM, lhdang2000 said:

Real Friends & Make Me Feel. :clap3: 

:clap3:

23 hours ago, Remmy said:

#100-81: Barbie Tingz and borderline are alright. Barbie Dreams is definitely the best from Queen, a fun  bop :jamming:
What a Heavenly Way to Die + Bloom :smitten: "but then I got the meaning behind the lyrical content and ended up really enjoying it." :eli:
Deserve :date: In my Liberation trinity for sure. Make Me Feel ahhh she snapped :jonny5: Should be higher than #97!

Barbie dreams is not the best rem c'mon

Make me feel sounds too much like Prince

18 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Barbie Dreams was so promising until that wack video came out :deadbanana:

Happy Without Me still punches me hard :jonny: should've been their breakout hit :jonny5: 

MMF is too low :'(

Deserve :smitten: 

Real Friends :clap3: should've been a single instead of Consequences :'( 

Ikr the video could've been MILES better! She was so unplanned this era, you'd think after so many years she'd have more structure for an era.

17 hours ago, Wicked said:

Didn't listen to Xtina's album but yay for Bloom. Troye has nice songwriting skills he just needs more oomph in his voice.

Aw you should you might find something you enjoy. Agreed re: Troye.

11 hours ago, prézli said:

YAS A FRIENDS STAN. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A HIT AT THIS POINT!

Agreed! Raye deserved a hit for several of her songs released this year imo!!

5 hours ago, potent said:

Lucky Strike and the Janelle songs are a slay!

Twice is pretty good too.

Yas:clap3:

5 hours ago, rvx said:

Alien :jamming:

5 hours ago, madonnas said:

I like That is my least fave on DC :blush:  

Really I haven't seen anyone say that before. What are you faves?

5 hours ago, Jet said:

Screwed, Slow Down, Alien, Checklist, I Like That & Twice are all so underrated tbh

Ari coming thru with Sweetener and Better Off :clap3: 

More to come sis :jonny5:

4 hours ago, Superpower said:

Janelle slaying. Too low tbh :jonny5:

Lucky Strike’s production :jonny2:

nn:clap3:

1 hour ago, lhdang2000 said:

Hold Tight's production is GOLD. :jonny: 

The back-to-back Janelle's entries. :clap3: 

Exactly. Sabrina came out of nowhere and showed some of these girls how it's DONE :clap3::clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, KasioKas said:

nn did he? I thought they were friends yikes.

nn :fan:

Victoria is really talented, she really impressed me this year with her EP's. Todrick's album is great, for the most part.

Ikr the video could've been MILES better! She was so unplanned this era, you'd think after so many years she'd have more structure for an era.

Aw you should you might find something you enjoy. Agreed re: Troye.

Agreed! Raye deserved a hit for several of her songs released this year imo!!

Yas:clap3:

Really I haven't seen anyone say that before. What are you faves?

More to come sis :jonny5:

nn:clap3:

Exactly. Sabrina came out of nowhere and showed some of these girls how it's DONE :clap3::clap3:

My faves are I Got the Juice, Make Me Feel, Title Track/Intro, Screwed, and American.

Most of the album is good but I Like That, Pynk, and So Afraid kinda got old for me.... 

4 minutes ago, madonnas said:

My faves are I Got the Juice, Make Me Feel, Title Track/Intro, Screwed, and American.

Most of the album is good but I Like That, Pynk, and So Afraid kinda got old for me.... 

Nice, Pharell kinda ruined Juice for me with his Pee lyric tbh, the others are great.

#80-61: Hold Tight + I Like That :smiley: Taste :gaycat2: Twice and better off :heart2: Lie for Love :jamming:
"the only song I use from this soundtrack" Ummm you tried iT! Screwed and Lucky Strike :katie2:
#60-41: Good Form is decent. thank u, next and Fall In Line :) Solo + Crazy, Classic, Life :smitten:
everytime mmm, a great bop :fish1: Like I Do whew :flame: Definitely my favorite from Liberation

sweetener and get well soon being this high is a tragedy by the way!

13 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

Oh it is, with very little competition :keir:

Ariana_andwhataboutit?.gif

• ATRL Moderator

So many great songs!!!

Think About Us, Fall In Line, Solo, Done For Me, Like I Do :jonny5:

Ayy more Sweetener :heart2: 

I'm shocked Blazed is above Everytime tho. I thought everyone hated Blazed :rip: 

6 hours ago, KasioKas said:

(Charlie accuses the girl he’s seeing of cheating, and he sounds really great doing it... Unlike Troye, he’s not afraid to be creative with his voice, hitting high notes effortlessly. It makes for a more appealing track with better replay value.)

!!!! Gosh, wish these artists would stop having the most basic of vocals on their songs. Creativity does not stop at song concepts. This is kinda why vocal talent is both underrated & overrated. Soulless belts don't add anything to the song but creative vocal expression can elevate any song.

Like I Do is direction that I would''ve like from Xtina :jonny: so glad for it's recognition

Solo, Everytime, TUN :clap3: 

I like Get Well Soon lyrics, but song kinda didn't hit me :michael:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.