• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vilppu

• theblackestday

• madonnas

• Tom Vercetti

ahh so you're just gonna SNAP like this???

Daytona and KSG are truly the only great outcomes of the wyoming sessions :heart2: 

20 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

Pusha and Yves back to back you snapped again :eek:

Let the Lioness... should be in the SITHOL standouts as well though :mandown: 

KSG slander not allowed !

luv it but it's a bit too experimental for a basic bitch like me x

20 hours ago, madonnas said:

I thought Daytona was cute and fun but Kids See Ghosts was way better sonically.

Yves Tumor's album was good, though it has too obvious highlights for me. 

i thought like that too at first but other songs grew on me a lot and now i think everything is kind of a highlight depending on my mood

20 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Pusha’s album was great

KSG is overrated :mandown: 

Yves is nice but I haven’t listened to it enough (like once or twice).. not the easiest album to listen to but obvs very good

overrated is a meaningless word pop stans use to describe things they don't like with :mandown: at first i thought i wouldn't come back to yves too but i found it a surprisingly easy listen after a while

20 hours ago, mokitsu said:

pusha, ksg and yves :eek: all excellent albums

you're not wrong ^-^

20 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

me at this update

65IW4t8.gif

his eyes are so cute here omg when he doesn't speak his mind he's precious

19 hours ago, Dom said:

Pusha T's album cover is still disgusting, but he did release some very nice content music wise.

true... idk how no one in his team told him it was a bad idea

19 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

You made some points with this update,

I was thinking this earlier, it's very "I don't have a favourite genre, i listen to everything" - the album, very that.

Let the Lioness... should be in the SITHOL standouts as well though :mandown: [2]

glad i'm not the only one who thought that then!

luv it but it's a bit too experimental for a basic bitch like me x [2]

19 hours ago, TRF. said:

Daytona is talented incredible amazing showstopping. Kids See Ghosts... :doc:

LOVE seeing Yves Tumor tho!!!! Yes ma'am!!! :weeps:

KSG is all that too ^-^

15 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I don't know how I completely missed your update yesterday :rip: 

Anyways I'm going to have to disagree with you on serpentwithfeet. His voice is by far the most annoying thing about soil. Which is sad, because if you gave the album to any other "standard" vocalist for lack of a better term, I'd probably love the album. I just can't bare to listen to him sing :rip: 

Kali is certainly no vocalist but she knows how to work with what she's got , and do it well :clap3: 

And the short song length definitely worked in BTC's favor too. Gives you just enough without meandering off aimlessly!

Daytona and KSG back to back :clap3: 

Yves Tumor's album was good though I didn't enjoy it as much as most have. I think it starting out as more of a left-field piece and then becoming more standard was pretty interesting to hear as well! So your last point is actually interesting to see.

i think you posted like right as i was updating n. i totally see where you're coming from re: serpent, i would usually say the exact same thing bc vocal acrobations are certainly not my thing but there's just something about his that works for me?

luv you for reading my descriptions and expanding on what i had to say ❤️ 

14 hours ago, Vxspertine said:

I'm like the polar opposite of you when it comes to Kanye :rip: I'll talk about how I feel about both albums more in depth on my list :-*

YVES DID THAT :clap3: Your track picks oh WOW!! the amount of taste exhibited...

interesting !

thank you thank you i'm trying my best

10 hours ago, MP2K said:

a SET!

❤️ 

9 hours ago, theblackestday said:

ahh so you're just gonna SNAP like this???

Daytona and KSG are truly the only great outcomes of the wyoming sessions :heart2: 

i thot teyana was cute too but ofc not as good as these and i'm not listening to the man that abused real life angel kelis!

4 hours ago, Body Electrician said:

SITHOL :clap3: a masterpiece

i will have to agree on that one

2 hours ago, Reinvention said:

Too indie for me unfortunately.

ZB0c5uK.jpg

i think about half of my list is actually pretty accessible for more mainstream music fans ^-^ you could maybe try kali, black panther and kimbra albums, those are fairly pop leaning and easy listens

so i just got the results of my most important midterm and i kind of snapped on it so i'm very happy... let's go reveal some albums which also made me very happy

ALBUMS 3-2

595a0e223cfcfe1d50d3136bd942e4de

3. Sophie – Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides

The glow-up everyone who’s not stellar right from the beginning should strive for. I and Sophie started rocky – I didn’t like „When I Rule the World” at all, „Vroom Vroom” is still by far the worst song Charli has ever put out (and that’s saying a lot) and its parent EP is hardly better and whatever else she did in the early stages of her career didn’t sit well with me either. Since then, however, I’ve gradually warmed up to PC Music as a whole, whether it be because the genre became more polished or I just recognised there are bigger enemies to fight, I’m not sure, and along with that my appreciation for Sophie grew by day, eventually reaching its peak on „Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides”. The artist’s official debut is a play on conventions but in a way that’s more clever and fully realised than on „Product”. Sophie never loses any of her originality, unique and innovative ideas are ever present, but it seems like working with more mainstream acts considerably influenced her – this is Sophie at her most conventionally song-y and I honestly couldn’t think of a better compliment. To majorly oversimplify, music should be formulaic, that’s what helps it resonate with the listener, and therefore for every track where the production work shines and gets its space to breathe, „Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides” offers a more focused composition. It’s obviously masterful from a production stand-point as there’s little quirks, sounds, dishes banging hidden pretty much everywhere but it’s pretty expertly served – it’s never overbearing and takes time to fully grasp and discover all the little nuances. And finally, it seems to anger pop gays to no end, more so than any other album in quite a while, really, and that’s just plain hilarious to watch, especially knowing the album highlight „Immaterial” is everything – and more – any pop fan could ever want.

Standouts: Ponyboy, Faceshopping, Is It Cold in the Water, Immaterial, Whole New World/Pretend World

39149570700054.jpeg

2. Beach House – 7

Over the years of listing my favourite releases I came to the conclusion that I absolutely do not understand the choices I make even at the moment of making them but in the end, there are a few characteristics that combined should create a record I enjoy. Reasonable tempo – if you’re going to make a ****ty song, at least make it fast so I don’t have to suffer another painful ballad. Melody – feels like a stupid point to mention but in the age of „minimalism” taking over popular music I notice that more and more people focus solely on production and atmosphere completely disregarding the most important part of songwriting. Emotive performance – I’d take a frog croaking with passion over perfect Celine Dion’d adlibs which are completely dry and provoke no reaction any day. Progression – really any song that changes throughout its running time has my respect. Got it? Great, now throw everything I’ve just said out the window and say hello to Beach House. These mother****ers have been doing this exact same, achingly slow, dreadfully sung, barely melodic song for over a decade now and yet they win me over every time. There’s something so eerie and hypnotic in the way they play and they evidently has this style down to the tea as each time they’re able to add or subtract just enough from a song for it to solidly stand on its own and not actually just be another version of their previous tracks. „7” does just that and perhaps more than ever as I don’t recall their earlier albums being quite as varied. It may seem like over the span of almost 50 minutes Beach House present different shades of grey but they sure did pick only the most breath-taking, beautiful ones. The listen is cathartic and peaceful, even if there’s moments like the powerful opener that are anything but. In a way it’s like an autumn album with how the colors seem to be slowly fading away but they still remain vibrant here, but then I could pick any season and attribute it to „7”. There’s many ways in which it could be described but each has a „but”, not one seems to truly nail it. It’s a record so seemingly standard in Beach House’s discography and at the same time so unforgettable and one of its kind – and maybe that’s why I still can’t enough of it after all these months.

Standouts: Lemon Glow, Drunk in LA, Black Car, Lose Your Smile, Girl of the Year

#1 tomorrow. it's not an album i expect to see on... anyone else's list
really but i don't think anyone would question my choice when you see it

Daytona :clap3: 

Yves’ album didn’t slay me at all. I couldn’t bring myself to give it a second listen nnnn

Sophie was ok but underwhelming overall.

7 is stunning :jonny4: 

Edited by Superpower

• ATRL Moderator

Another 1-2 punch your mind it truly amazes me :jonny2: this is one of the strongest lists I've seen

immaterial an OIL highlight tho? Not when it's one of the worst songs of the year :mandown:

Great choices for 3 & 2! Isolation and Be The Cowboy are great too, the Black Panther soundtrack is good but not better than Vince or Kendrick's solo offerings.

Dirty Computer or Golden Hour better be #1, but the omission of either one is going to hurt my heart

• ATRL Moderator

hmnm didn't like daytona much and have still not listened to kids see ghosts
Safe in  the hands of love is pretty great. only listened recently but the first half really slaps

Sophie's album ended up growing up.. I initially hated pretending a bit too much to bother listening more but it's pretty good

I liked 7 enough. my first time listening to beach house and yeah the lack of very clear melodies really threw me off but it's still there

hype for your no. 1

Another 1-2 punch [2]... this list... I knew you had it in you

IqyHNiz.gif

"this is Sophie at her most conventionally song-y" strongly disagree but if that helped in reevaluating your views on her then I support this :heart2: also yes I love how this album infuriates pop fomos so much for literally no reason too

7, that was a classic. I feel like I should know what's #1 but I don't so can't wait for the ruveal

and congrats on your midterms! xx

• ATRL Moderator

Beach House are consistently good, but I would never think of putting them in a top 10.

I will never forgive you for hating on VV... like, WHY SIS.

2 hours ago, Superpower said:

Daytona :clap3: 

Yves’ album didn’t slay me at all. I couldn’t bring myself to give it a second listen nnnn

Sophie was ok but underwhelming overall.

7 is stunning :jonny4: 

yves is an acquired taste and i mean... we don't have to like everything lol and i thought the same about sophie at first but it steadily kept growing on me over the year

1 hour ago, Body Electrician said:

ahhh all this talent :jonny5:

thank you x

52 minutes ago, Unoriginal said:

Another 1-2 punch your mind it truly amazes me :jonny2: this is one of the strongest lists I've seen

immaterial an OIL highlight tho? Not when it's one of the worst songs of the year :mandown:

it only seems so bc other folks haven't got around to their top spots yet but thank you ^-^ and we get it, you hate FUN

22 minutes ago, Temporal said:

Great choices for 3 & 2! Isolation and Be The Cowboy are great too, the Black Panther soundtrack is good but not better than Vince or Kendrick's solo offerings.

Dirty Computer or Golden Hour better be #1, but the omission of either one is going to hurt my heart

i was like the only person in the world who thought black panther was actually pretty on par with damn, they just excelled at different things

well janelle is mentioned somewhere on page 2 so you can rule her out x

10 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

hmnm didn't like daytona much and have still not listened to kids see ghosts
Safe in  the hands of love is pretty great. only listened recently but the first half really slaps

Sophie's album ended up growing up.. I initially hated pretending a bit too much to bother listening more but it's pretty good

I liked 7 enough. my first time listening to beach house and yeah the lack of very clear melodies really threw me off but it's still there

hype for your no. 1

pretending is... peculiar but i like it now

bloom is v good for a new beach house fan if you're interested

7 minutes ago, theblackestday said:

Another 1-2 punch [2]... this list... I knew you had it in you

IqyHNiz.gif

"this is Sophie at her most conventionally song-y" strongly disagree but if that helped in reevaluating your views on her then I support this :heart2: also yes I love how this album infuriates pop fomos so much for literally no reason too

7, that was a classic. I feel like I should know what's #1 but I don't so can't wait for the ruveal

and congrats on your midterms! xx

2 hrs later and it does sound like a v messy thing to say but then under all the production quirks the singles + immaterial don't seem too out there in terms of structure and those are the songs that initially grabbed me so i guess i kind of subconsciously attributed that to the entire album?

thank you omg love you ^-^

I think I have an idea on what the #1 is ^-^

Before 2017 wasn't a fan of Sophie, but due to evolution, that has changed. 7 is 7. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, Vilppu said:

a mocking mention to dirty computer which was top 5 when it dropped

and now didn't even make top 30... that's sad huh.

yes... yes it is sad :angry: 

Sophie and Beach House :clap3: qualitEA

I don't really care for SOPHIE but I'd say Immaterial is probably her most tolerable solo work. 

Drag Vroom Vroom! (When I Rule The World is EXCELLENT though)

Wait at you being a Vroom Vroom hater. #cancelled

SOPHIE is a wonderful choice :clap3: and what you said here:

To majorly oversimplify, music should be formulaic, that’s what helps it resonate with the listener,

as well as the rest of the comment really makes a lot of sense to me, especially when I look back on what I consider my favorite albums (and I look at what I considered to be the best album of 2018). The artist takes a style that's been done before, put their twist on it to make it into something new, but doesn't stretch it so far that it becomes unrecognizable.

As far as Beach house goes... I just don't think they/their sound is for me. They have a handful of tracks that make my ears perk up but they never really hold my interest for too long. Lemon Glow and Girl of the Year snap though :clap3: 

14 hours ago, madonnas said:

Beach House are consistently good, but I would never think of putting them in a top 10.

I will never forgive you for hating on VV... like, WHY SIS.

up until now i didn't think of putting them so high either but this album was crazy good imo

it's like banging your head on the wall in song form and not the happy type like, say, oh my girl's coloring book

14 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

I think I have an idea on what the #1 is ^-^

Before 2017 wasn't a fan of Sophie, but due to evolution, that has changed. 7 is 7. 

i know what you're thinking and you're right ^--^

sophie making us switch... her power

14 hours ago, Temporal said:

yes... yes it is sad :angry: 

absolutely love her as an artist and person but DC just barely had any staying power for me. idk if she has another archandroid in her, i hope she does

13 hours ago, Scandalous said:

SOPHIE :clap3:

she snapped!

13 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Sophie and Beach House :clap3: qualitEA

tea!

10 hours ago, Kingie said:

I don't really care for SOPHIE but I'd say Immaterial is probably her most tolerable solo work. 

Drag Vroom Vroom! (When I Rule The World is EXCELLENT though)

immaterial is both a fan favourite and a song that got a lot of non-fans interested so i think we're guaranteed at least one track like that per release from her. i get WIRTW's appeal but it's never done it for me

4 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Wait at you being a Vroom Vroom hater. #cancelled

SOPHIE is a wonderful choice :clap3: and what you said here:

as well as the rest of the comment really makes a lot of sense to me, especially when I look back on what I consider my favorite albums (and I look at what I considered to be the best album of 2018). The artist takes a style that's been done before, put their twist on it to make it into something new, but doesn't stretch it so far that it becomes unrecognizable.

As far as Beach house goes... I just don't think they/their sound is for me. They have a handful of tracks that make my ears perk up but they never really hold my interest for too long. Lemon Glow and Girl of the Year snap though :clap3: 

yes, that's exactly how genres were initially created - people listened to what already existed and tried to recreate it with their own spin. that's why a song/album/artist being derivative does not have to mean they're in any way weak. besides, it's kind of a psychological thing - many people prefer average life conditions they're familiar with to something better but completely new and unknown which carries onto musical perception i think

beach house are definitely boring and stale so i feel you but it's the sort of boring and stale i adore ^-^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.