Superpower’s Best Of 2018

Blue Rose

PIc9okq.jpg

The hype over his previous album was annoying. I know it was deserved because I’ve been a fan of him for years and even saw him live. It was an out of body experience. It was wonderful. I just hated the way most dismissed everything he had done before and even with Singularity, people act like it’s only his second album. But I can see why: because this longtime Coldplay (hehe) collaborator has embraced harder beats, Techno styles punches without losing his ability to create fragile and sweet soundscapes few galaxies away, as Emerald Rush brilliantly demonstrates. 

The song is an intense and immersive experience that splendidly builds up to one of the most magnificent drops of the year. The song layers and textures evolve, multiply and explode, everything collectively creating a blissful and satisfying climax.

nawm2Fz.jpg

Over a rich and soft wrap of gorgeous piano and guitar riffs, heart-twisting strings and drum beats that accentuate every melody (and I boldly say that this is her most melodious song), Lana Del Rey returns to her glorious peak. But long gone are her days of being a damsel in distress. She’s now a strong and fearless woman fully aware of her imperfections and of what she wants and deserves. Mariners Apartment Complex is full of Pop culture references from Elton John to Leonard Cohen whose “I’m Your Man” (which is exactly Mariners’ refrain) feels like it was built inside this track. Cohen’s seductive song goes “If you want a lover, I’ll do anything you ask me to.” Lana knows she “fcked up” but she asks for forgiveness and is ready to give you everything in return. She presents a strong case and only a fool would turn her down.

r4UZwBW.jpg

Stirring violins open “The End Of Love” like a sinister eulogy. Over a sharp piano Florence’s voice comes in with gorgeously textured harmonies, unfolding elegantly as she details a finished relationship with bittersweet recollections. She breaks the fourth wall in the first verse, immediately connecting the listener to the song. The love was hopeless and Florence was at peace letting it fade away.

Edited by Superpower

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Rose

• Tom Vercetti

• Cloröx

• Vilppu

xWPfb9g.jpg

Riptide was a fun bop, but have you ever listened to one of Vance’s ballads? That’s where he shines the brightest. I already loved his album upon its release in February, but this song didn’t hit me hard until late Spring. A guitar riff is all that is needed for Mr Joy’s allegorical lyrics about love & devotion and his visual storytelling. It’s everything the greatest singer-songwriters have already mastered, but it’s a sophisticated and stunning simplicity that’s timeless. And Vance might just have joined their ranks.

nZQ8MQ6.jpg

This is a track Pitchfork called “7 minutes of heaven.” 

A breathtaking buildup introduces us to Matt Lowell smooth and heartbreaking voice. The lyrics are beautiful and the synergy between guitar, drums, synths and piano is spectacular. Definitely a triumph that has given me goosebumps countless times.

R9wosB2.jpg

My most played song of the year and I’m still not tired of it, never will be tbh. This track is therapeutic. As a gay man growing up in a religious home, it’s not hard to imagine my complicated relationship with my father, making this song biographical.

Like the title “Blue Rose” suggests, the soft and beautiful masculine presence in Damon (the singer) life is not without thorns. It also works the other way around as he is not afraid to own up to his flaws. The storytelling is the most compelling I’ve heard all year. 

The psychedelic Rock production with the echoing riffs, irregular counts and iridescent synths provide a groovy shadow for Damon’s extremely convincing vocal delivery. His voice almost breaks at some point, adding to the emotional weight of his lyrics. The contrast between the instrumental and the vocals is a stroke of genius that brings forth the confusing nature of being rejected by a figure that is supposed to love you unconditionally. It’s honest, it’s vulnerable, it’s sad and it’s exhilarating. 

“I said you weren’t much man to me but you’re the only one I ever had” are the last words Damon sings, giving himself and the listener some acceptance/resolution... We are sobbing and smiling at the same time.

Edited by Superpower

I love the #1 and u wrote more about it than I could.

Send To Robyn is top 3 on the album :clap3: 

Surprised at a top 5 lana entry, and with MAC at that. 

• ATRL Moderator

I haven't heard any of the top 3 :rip:

Love send to robin immediately,  and MAC though.  MAC is such a grower. 

Send to Robin is absolutely a highlight so I'm glad it's getting recognition here. Emerald Rush is a big bop.

Venice outsold but MAC is psychedelic folk / rock / country excellence indeed.

Damon did what he had to do for all the girls with daddy issues.

these are some beautiful writeups! i can definitely see a theme in your top 10. blue rose, mac, end of love, emerald rush, send to robin are my favourites.

Send To Robin Immediately :jonny4: finally someone acknowledging this masterpiece, this + Baby Forgive Me works soo good :jonny4: 

Mariners was cute, but VB >>>>

The End of Love, the only masterpiece Flo did on HAH, slaying :alexz: 

• ATRL Moderator

Lana :clap3:

Mac Miller :'( I need to listen to his album!

Send to Robin Immediately + Mariners Apartment Complex are the two I know but I'm not a fan of either :keir: They're not unlistenable though. Maybe I should relisten to the first one because whew there's a lot of praise for it above. | update: it's still alright

On 12/28/2018 at 4:53 PM, Superpower said:

Nope, Bloom is the highest #Justice4MyMyMy

Troye, the Carters, Janelle etc... all missing the top10 :jonny: 

waiT I just looked back at the full list on the first page and MMM! wasn't on here at all? :mazen::mazen::mazen:

Oh man! I don't know any of these. 

But I have put Vance Joy's album in my list. I've heard so many good reviews about it! :duca: 

5 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Agreed!

Mac Miller's work is... transcendental :heart2: 

Will try to listen to any of the Top 3 for the first time! :fan: 

I barely listened to Robyn's album this week, but that track wasn't memorable to me :fan:

I liked the most Between the Lines and Ever Again.

MAC and The End of Love though are great choices :clap3:

Have to hear Vance's album this year, I still listen to Dream Your Life Away.

Some very interesting choices! I like how your top 10 doesn't have a lot of the same old same old you see in other YELs.

VB outsold MAC but MAC stomps too :clap3: 

Send to Robin Immediately and Emerald Rush slay too!

I've seen a lot of acclaim for Amen Dunes in general and your write up makes me want to go back and listen to the album to see if I missed anything.

I'll always respect the direction Mac was taking his music in :heart2:  

send to robin immediately and emerald rush are snatchers! MAC grew on me to some extent but i still think venice bitch is a lot better

blue rose is a deserving #1, i like your description too :heart2: 

a fun countdown overall ❤️

What's The Use :alexz:truly his best song since Dang! and My Favorite Part 

MAC :clap3:the way Lana took a 180 from her BTD image with this song, her mind

Blue Rose winning :eek: Interesting choice! 

Send To Robin Immediately, The End of Love :worship2: 

I know so little of this top 10 but MAC :clap3: Lana snapped

tho I prefer Venice Bitch :mandown: both 10/10 though, so it's not that bad to have MAC above it I guess

On 12/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, Legend E said:

yas STRI is my fave song from Honey ❤️ 

Same :date2: 

On 12/29/2018 at 12:56 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

I love the #1 and u wrote more about it than I could.

Send To Robyn is top 3 on the album :clap3: 

Surprised at a top 5 lana entry, and with MAC at that. 

I was shook when I saw Blue Rose in your top20 :clap3: 

ive always loved Lana. L4L just aged extremely badly.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:07 PM, madonnas said:

I haven't heard any of the top 3 :rip:

Love send to robin immediately,  and MAC though.  MAC is such a grower. 

Yep, MAC is a grower. I loved it at first but never expected to be obsessed with it.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, Eeveelution said:

Send to Robin is absolutely a highlight so I'm glad it's getting recognition here. Emerald Rush is a big bop.

Venice outsold but MAC is psychedelic folk / rock / country excellence indeed.

Damon did what he had to do for all the girls with daddy issues.

Damon read all the girlies like a children’s book and then gave us a nice hug.

VB and MAC are both great. Jack is about to give Lana her best album.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:50 PM, volition said:

these are some beautiful writeups! i can definitely see a theme in your top 10. blue rose, mac, end of love, emerald rush, send to robin are my favourites.

Thank you. Yep, 2018 was rough :lmao: 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:05 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

Send To Robin Immediately :jonny4: finally someone acknowledging this masterpiece, this + Baby Forgive Me works soo good :jonny4: 

The End of Love, the only masterpiece Flo did on HAH, slaying :alexz:

MAC and VB both slay. Lana is coming to slay our 2019 year end lists!

On 12/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, kelly-clarkson said:

Lana :clap3:

Mac Miller :'( I need to listen to his album!

Yes. It’s very good and actually one of the most acclaimed HipHop album of the year.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, Remmy said:

Send to Robin Immediately + Mariners Apartment Complex are the two I know but I'm not a fan of either :keir: They're not unlistenable though. Maybe I should relisten to the first one because whew there's a lot of praise for it above. | update: it's still alright

waiT I just looked back at the full list on the first page and MMM! wasn't on here at all? :mazen::mazen::mazen:

I love My My My! But I now only listen to it when I’m listening to the album in full.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, lhdang2000 said:

Oh man! I don't know any of these. 

But I have put Vance Joy's album in my list. I've heard so many good reviews about it! :duca: 

It’s very good. Honestly all Vance songs are amazing. I had to limit him to 3 for this countdown.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, TayRianaPH said:

Agreed!

Mac Miller's work is... transcendental :heart2: 

Will try to listen to any of the Top 3 for the first time! :fan: 

Mac Miller is an angel. He had his addiction problem but he was very talented :heart2: 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:27 PM, potent said:

I barely listened to Robyn's album this week, but that track wasn't memorable to me :fan:

I liked the most Between the Lines and Ever Again.

MAC and The End of Love though are great choices :clap3:

Have to hear Vance's album this year, I still listen to Dream Your Life Away.

If you love Dream Your Life Away, you’ll love the new album too. It’s not a big departure.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:57 PM, Pink Matter said:

Some very interesting choices! I like how your top 10 doesn't have a lot of the same old same old you see in other YELs.

VB outsold MAC but MAC stomps too :clap3: 

Send to Robin Immediately and Emerald Rush slay too!

I've seen a lot of acclaim for Amen Dunes in general and your write up makes me want to go back and listen to the album to see if I missed anything.

I'll always respect the direction Mac was taking his music in :heart2:  

haha yeah, I’ve seen so many lists that look so much like Pitchfork’s list. I guess that’s understandable but I’m like where’s the personality?

Both Lana singles are great. She really created a huge hype for her album :duca: 

On 12/29/2018 at 11:39 PM, Jet said:

Robyn :clap3: 

A queen :clap3: 

On 12/30/2018 at 11:19 AM, Dom said:

yasss aT rOBYN AND lANA, BOTH  queens deserved more success.

Florence stomped both :fan: 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, Vilppu said:

send to robin immediately and emerald rush are snatchers! MAC grew on me to some extent but i still think venice bitch is a lot better

blue rose is a deserving #1, i like your description too :heart2: 

a fun countdown overall ❤️

Thank you. Blue Rose is a masterpiece. Amen Dunes really won 2018. I wish he was touring near me, so I could go.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:35 AM, -mUsIcLoVeR- said:

Let me listen to the Rhye and Jon Hopkins songs :eddie:

You won’t regret it.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:56 AM, Kiss It Better said:

What's The Use :alexz:truly his best song since Dang! and My Favorite Part 

Tea :alexz: 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, bestfiction said:

MAC :clap3:the way Lana took a 180 from her BTD image with this song, her mind

I’m so excited for her album. I hope she delivers 

On 1/1/2019 at 3:32 AM, Lazuli said:

Blue Rose winning :eek: Interesting choice! 

Send To Robin Immediately, The End of Love :worship2: 

No song came close to beating Blue Rose. It has almost 3 times more plays than any other 2018 songs :jonny4: 

4 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

I know so little of this top 10 but MAC :clap3: Lana snapped

tho I prefer Venice Bitch :mandown: both 10/10 though, so it's not that bad to have MAC above it I guess

Lana did her thing. She’s back!

You should listen to Amen Dunes album. It’s extremely acclaimed and half of his songs have appeared in other people’s countdowns.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.