Fa1x Intelectual's Hits Of 2018 (#69 - #60)

Fa1x intelectual

I've used Train before even when everyone hated them, but Play That Song is :michael:

I Walk the Line being here :eek:

2 hours ago, JGibson said:

Me too. I LOVE Train. 

3/10

Play That Song + How Do I Live + I Walk The Line :worship:

YAAAY.

26 minutes ago, potent said:

I've used Train before even when everyone hated them, but Play That Song is :michael:

I Walk the Line being here :eek:

Everyone? They have 4 stans in here. ?

How Do I Live + Lights. :clap3: 

I was surprised when I first read the entries, then it makes sense that these are across the decades, not just 2018. :dies:

I Walk the Line, I Love You Always Forever, Play That Song :) How Do I Live, Lights :heart2:

I lowkey forgot Annie (2014) existed, and I've seen it :oh: Don't remember what that song sounds like

7 hours ago, prézli said:

TRAIN :jonny: I thought @Remmy and I were their only stans on ATRL.

I wouldn't say I'm a stan :keir: But I do love Save Me San Francisco + California 37 (and "Drops of Jupiter" of course)

Thank you for the comments.

#79: Cassiopeia by Sara Bareilles (peaked at #8 on May 27th, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

So remember I said only a few artists managed to have an entry every Year-End of mine. Sara is another case of that. Love Song and Brave in 2015, King of Anything in 2016, Brave again in 2017 (because I left the song on repeat one day by accident), and now we have an album track I discovered while watching one of those "{singer}'s vocal range" vdeos. While what always interested me about Sara was her songwriting, this song got me for two reasons: It's one in which Sara's vocals get very low and I wanted to see if I was able to sing the notes, and the instrumental seemed peculiar. Kinda minimalistic on the first part, exploding for the chorus, going back to kinda minimalistic again. The first part reminds me of "amusement park music" for whatever reason.

#78: Fuego by Eleni Foureira (peaked at #6 on August 12th, spent 8 weeks on the chart)

What is this travesty? A 2018 song on the 2018 list? Shoo, go away.

Here is the song everyone shouted and yelled should be the winner of Eurovision this year... Wouldn't be bad. It's a quick lil pop song that lingered in my memory until randomly clicking with me 3 months after the contest was over. I bopped to it and that's where the story ends. It's a good party song, I'll give it that.

#77: Say You Will by Fleetwood Mac (peaked at #2 on December 2nd, spent 5 weeks on the chart)

This song is very likely to repeat on next year's list.

I was listening to the local AC station and this song came up; I loved it. Afterall, I am basically an AC station that plays weird stuff once in a while. And given that this Is AC perfection I expect it to fall off the chart one day, then keep making irregular returns until December, thus allowing it to make the 2019 list.

About the singer, I think she has that raspy that I normally hate, but she doesn't overdo it so everyone is happy. Kinda like Macy Gray did once (and only once) on "I Try".

#76: We Are Young by fun. (featuring Janelle Monáe) (peaked at #6 on March 18th, spent 10 weeks on the chart)

This year I went to college and I needed a song to make me feel triumphant. That's almost the entire reason this was a hit. Janelle's snippet makes me laugh and the la la la's on her part are very addictive. I can't resist that cheap la la trick in pop music.

#75: Paper Tiger by Sue Thompson (peaked at #1 on December 2nd, spent 3 weeks on the chart)

And there we have it, first No. 1 song to go down. Despite my "countrymania" thing being present year-round, this was the only song from that genre to top the charts. The full reason for that shall remain unknown BUT that harmonica sprinkled throughout the song helped a lot (it isn't the last time we'll be seeing harmonica on this list either). Another possible repeat for next year (if the novelty doesn't wear off).

#74: Ain't No Friend Of Mine by Vali (peaked at #7 on March 18th, spent 10 weeks on the chart)

So here's a deep cut. This song has less than 200k streams as of me writing this. It's a good banger. Go help the girl make some coins.

See, that's the problem of listening to songs for the "bop" factor. Once you take it away there's absolutely nothing else to talk about.

#73: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow by Roberta Flack (peaked at #3 on July 22nd, spent 7 weeks on the chart)

I tried getting into Roberta before. Killing Me Softly With His Song is good but didn't click with me enough. Her cover of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" just didn't make me anything. However, this cover of The Shirelles' original hit all the right points. Dare I say I like it more than the original, and that's a rare phenomenon. I recommend listening to it at midnight while crying... Not that I did that.

#72: Berimbau Metalizado by Ivete Sangalo (peaked at #3 on February 3rd, spent 5 weeks on the chart)

For those who didn't already know, I'm Brazilian and I like my country's music. Just not the newer stuff (of course). This is Ivete Sangalo and her job in my eyes is to, every year, come up with an upbeat song for people to play during Carnaval, a song that would be forgotten soon thereafter. Ivete herself would not ever be forgotten because she has charisma and she's on The Voice here. Did I mention this song is 12 years old? Still fresh.

If you guys allow me to, I would like to say some things in my native language for a bit. Use Google Translate if you please.

É assim que se faz música de Carnaval, Jojo Toddyinho pode ir pro inferno e levar a Metralhadora com ela.

Thank you, moving on...

#71: Tomorrow by Quvenzhane Wallis (peaked at #10 on June 10th, spent 12 weeks on the chart)

This is the signature song of Annie, the showstopper. And the only reason I usedit was because I am an insecure wreck sometimes and need a song to cheer me up and tell me everything will be fine in the end. Since I get insecure often, this song kept re-charting and in spite of peaking barely inside the top 10, it out-peaked its fellow Annie track and I'm happy with that.

#70: Henry Meets Jane Seymour by Trevor Morris (peake at #2 on March 4th, spent 5 weeks on the chart)

This was at the peak of my Tudors obsession and... yeah... This one-minute song almost was a chart-topper. I won't be ashamed, though, I'm sure some ATRLers put interludes on their Year-Ends so this isn't so different of that.

This instrumental brings me peace and I wish it was longer.

giphy.gif

Ooo someone else with older music .. i think a decent amount of mine this year will be old. Love Fleetwood

We Are Young :party:

We Are Young still snaps hard. :jonny: 

Can't say the same for STIUTK, its rival that year. :dies:

Haha so random to see so many of these old songs. "We Are Young" always slapped - love fun.

23 hours ago, Fa1x intelectual said:

#76: We Are Young by fun. (featuring Janelle Monáe) (peaked at #6 on March 18th, spent 10 weeks on the char

For some reasons, I kept listening to this on repeat last summer. It’s kinda perfect. The production is ace.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found motivation within myself to kill off my laziness for a bit and keep this going.

#69: Bella by Wolfine (peaked at #7 on August 12th, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

So I guess even a secluded music listener like myself can't escape the Spanish music trend. Oh, well... Something made this song click with me in spite of this singer''s whiny and screechy vocals. Must be that chorus. I also don't mind that... guitar (?) that plays throughout this, and appreciate a Spanish song that can do without that godforsaken bass featured so proeminently.

#68: Mayores by Becky G {featuring Bad Bunny} (peaked at #5 on January 29th, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

Right after I talk about how annoying the bass in Spanish songs is, there comes a by-the-numbers reggaeton song. What can you do...

Becky G appeared on my very first Year-End list in 2015 with her sole hit in America, Shower. Like with basically every other artist on my chart, I assumed this was it for her. But then the 2010s wave of Spanishmania happened and I found out about this tune. Still, it didn't hit me right away. It wasn't until I watched a movie (in which the protagonist falls in love with someone older than her) that my brain connected this song to the situation, and it never left conscience since.

#67: The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton (peaked at #4 on September 23rd, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

On the last country song we'll see in a while, Mr. Horton sings a cheeky retelling of a really important american war I don't care about. Not that I have to, the song is so catchy I'll probably have the first three stanzas (and the chorus) in my head forever. It's a fun one to sing along.

#66: Poupée de cire, poupée de son by France Gall (peaked at #5 on July 29th, spent 10 weeks on the chart)

Last year, we had Tom Pillibi, the winner of Eurovision 1960, representing old Eurovision amidst a sea of much newer entries. This year we have Poupée de cire defending Eurovision in a year where this whole ordeal crashed and burned. We have a diddy written by Serge Gainsbourg, writer of the quintessential **** song. about a singer that is but a puppet blabbling out lyrics she barely understands the meaning of, to an even less perceptive audience. Also, isn't it funny her name is France Gall, yet she represented Luxembourg? I think it's very amusing.

#65: Ring My Bell by Anita Ward (peaked at #4 on May 27th, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

First off, is this song really 8 minutes long? Oh, wow.

It just does everything right. Anita's vocals suit the mood of the song, as well as the production, which itself is just some nice, low-key disco setting. And that refran... There is no way it is not getting stuck in your head, Especially if you're crazy enough to listen for the whole 8 minutes. Again, wow.

#64: Zillionaire by Flo Rida (peaked at #11 on May 27th, spent 12 weeks on the chart)

Thanks to ADoseOfBuckey (R.I.P he is on hiatus) for this one. The fact this song has all these... embellishments in it (namely that trumpet) is what's great about it. This is a good party song. Sign the petition to bring Flo Rida and Pitvull back in exchange for DJ Khaled and Ozuna now.

#63: Linger by The Cranberries (peaked at #15 on September 16th, spent 14 weeks on the chart)

I heard this song all the time on my local radio station, but it wasn't until last year I bothered to learn its name. It charted for 10 weeks in late 2017, dropped out and probably would have returned based on its own power - cos it's an AC masterpiece - but I would be a bad liar if I said the lead singer's death had nothing to do with its resurgence this year. I think that, with no exaggeration, this was the first I cried because a singer died. So out of the blye... gone.

Anyways, this inspired me to go watch a video with the band's biggest hits and one of the made it to this very list so stay tunned for that.

Seriously, this song is gold.

#62: Whenever, Wherever by Shakira (peaked at #7 on February 11th, spent 10 weeks on the chart)

This still sounds fresh. That's all I have to say.

#61: Johnny Be Fair by Ruth Notman (peaked at #2 on November 6th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

And we're back to talking about the folk trend. This particular song is a Scotish joke turned into song. The joke is Merida wants to merry Johnny but her father says no, for Johnny is her brother. Merida cries to her mother about this, and she reveals that Merida is not her father's daughter, thus making the marriage morally acceptable.

Why aren't you laughing?

#60: Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer (peaked at #2 on August 12th, spent 5 weeks on the chart)

Good song to have in the background while you browse.

Thanks to anyone that still checks on this

Kiss Me + Whenever, Wherever + Linger :party: 

Hi sweetie! :party: 

Great list so far! ? 

My Top 3 picks on the set:

3. Linger

2. Whenver, Wherever

1. We Are Young!

See you on my Best Of too. :hug: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.