Fa1x Intelectual's Hits Of 2018 (#69 - #60)

Fa1x intelectual

fPgXV5o.png

f1Jdf8C.png

One more piece of information before we start:

This chart was based on my Crownnote chart points (with some changes to account for mistaken calculations that chart had). Futhermore, the eligible period for the year-end list was from January 7th to December 9th.

With all of this explained we can start, without further ado:

zWeBjqI.png

#100: Hands by Jewel (peaked at #4 in January 7th, spent 8 weeks on the chart)

So to star off this list we have a song by Alaskan singer-songwriter Jewel. I became aware of Jewel thanks to a game in another forum named UKMIX, shoutout to my friends at UKMIX. Now, the song of hers I heard in that game was "Who Will Save Your Soul", but the one that captured my attention the most was this one. That said, it wasn't the first time Jewel charted. Her first one was "Intuition", the sell-out single. That one sored on me quickly and got caught between years."Hands" almost followed the same path, but its Adult Contemporary quality (as in, being inofensive enough for repeated listens without becoming annoying) shone through and it spent enough weeks to make the cut. It's a nice song about hope and derivates played over a gentle instrumentation and I eat these with a spoon. See, Jewel? Sometimes selling isn't the answer.

#99: Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland (peaked at #12 in January 14th, spent 10 weeks on the chart)

As the year went on, I found myself becoming infatuated with Country music. We'll get more into details of that later, but this song serves as a introduction to this weird trend (and I've got loads of that still coming). The chorus quite simply sticks in my head and I can't help but vibe along. Everything about this song seems to be camp-y and I'm glad Sugarland embraces it. From that out-of-nowhere rap breakdown near the end to thst tongue-in-cheek music video... It's just good fun.

Sugarland released a song with Taylor Swift this year and... that was frontloaded as hell and didn't even come close to being on the list (it is at #185 right now)

#98: It's Only A Paper Moon by Ella Fitzgerald (featuring The Delta Rhythm Boys) (peaked at #6 in May 6th {what a silly coincidance}, spent 8 weeks on the chart)

Oh, yeah, the first oldie on the list. Love these. This was made in the 1940s and you can tell.When the vocal group starts singing midway through, it sounds great, straight out of a 40s painting. I also love these "I wish my platonic love would love me" songs, so there was no way this wouldn't become a hit.

This isn't the last time we'll be seeing Ella, by the way.

#97: I Believe (or: I Believe In Love) by Tata Young (peaked at #3 in January 28th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

Video

I would like to say two things: thanks to my brother for making me discover this and LORD, THIS SONG WAS HARD TO FIND. Believe or not there are many songs titled I Believe on Spotify, so I had to spent some time mning songs to find it. Making matters worse is the fact I didn't even know the name of the singer! But alas, I did find it and Mrs. Young became the first Thai to ever chart on my hit parade. This song has an enticing production but I'm not gonna lie: This charted as high as it did because the words "I believe" are repeated at least 20 times and the human brain likes repetition. Check it out, though, it is good.

The reason there is a video option for this one is because, since this was so difficult to fid there is a possibility the song isn't available on your local Spotify... It probably is but...

#96: Who Painted The Moon Black by Hayley Westenra (peaked at #7 in May 27th, spent 7 weeks on the chart)

So... operatic pop had a good year on my chart. We had Jean Jacques Rousseau making a splash with his own opera, The Soothsayer of The Village, (whose tracks sit at #126, #137 and #380 respectively.. who knew philosophers composed, anyway?) Hayley herself had 2 more songs on the top 50 (technically she had more but we'll cross that bridge when we get there) and my No. 1 song right now is a song from an opera. But this song in particular is just... Westenra trying her hand at a more... pop-ish direction. Her voice is clear and the song is actually somewhat hard to sing (to me anyways). It is, as many other songs on this countdown, a song about love and such. There is something that makes it special, however... Must be Hayley's voice.

#95: La Forza by Elina Nechayeva (peaked at #4 in February 25th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

This song is a highlight for many reasons: One: it is the first 2018 song to show up; two: it is operatic pop; Three: it is an Eurovision song. I'd like to take the time to diacuss that last one. Last year, 8 Eurovision songs made the year-end. This year we had 4. There is an obvious factor drying up here. But that isn't really important. What is important is saying that THIS DESERVED TO WIN FROM DAY 1. Okay, Fuego is catchier but... All I'm saying is that Salvador would've been happier if this won... Or maybe not, who knows...

This IS my favorite from this year's contest, in spite of it spurting out fairly quickly. Maybe I got bitter I couldn't hit the notes Elina could and decided to cut its run short but that's just a theory.

#94: Tú Sí Sabes Quererme by Natalia Lafourcade (featuring Los Macorinos) (peaked at #6 in January 21th, spent 7 weeks on the chart)

This is funny. I found out about this song after watching a year-end list, a worst list for that matter. If I do say so myself, whoever compiled that list must be very snobbish for I find nothing wrong with this song. The backing track by Los Macorinos really gives that cultural flavour and Natalia sings gracefully about at last finding her perfect match that "does know how to love her" (hopefully I translated thar right).

Also, Godd on you, Argentina, for getting a hit.

#93: We Still Got Us by Nataly Dawn (feat. David Choi) (peaked at #7 in June 17th, spent 8 weeks on the chart)

HAVE I TOLD YOU HOW MUCH I ADORE SONGS THAT ARE JUST "I LOVE U 4EVA TILL THE END OF TIME"? I think not so here is another example of that. And boy is it one of the most saccharine ones. It is dripping in so much honey it might kill you. I'm talking about lyrics that go "who cares about other people and how the world is a crapsack? Our love will light the way"! Whew, this is almost too much even for me... ALMOST.

#92: Lights by Ellie Goulding (peaked at #14 in January 28th, spent 11 weeks on the chart)

So at this point you must be saying: "But sis, is your Year-End 2018 just a collection of songs from every decade and time except for, you know, 2018?". Not entirely, but yea. These songs were my most sucessful of the year and there is nothing I can do about it.

There is something I will note about Goulding: she is one of the very few acts that had a song on my Year-End every year. Burn in 2015, On My Mind in 2016 AND 2017, and now Lights in 2018. This gotta count for something, I'm sure. What am I to do? I can't resist her voice. It's just... Oh, my. Since I love azz (and jaz renditions) I listened to a jazz cover of Lights and the vocalist just didn't had the same spark.

On an unrelated note, let's sign a petition in order to make Ellie cover I Love You Always Forever. It's right up her lane.

#91: Red Roses For A Blue Lady by Vic Dana (peaked at #3 in February 25th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

Coming at second place for "most saccarine love song of the year" (or third, now that I think about it) we have a song with one of the simplest play-on-words ever. Good for me. I gotta learn not to be so sentimental, God.

BUT WHEN THE VOCAL CHORUS KICKS IN, I GET ASTOUNISHED. It is gold.

Okay, moving on before I die of excitement...

#90: Higher Ground by ODESZA (featuring Naomi Wild) (peaked at #18 in August 19th, spent 11 weeks on the chart)

Time to get serious for once: This year college depression hit me hard. and I spent a good chunk of the year moping and having pity parties. This is the first song to reflect that. The lyrics "my soul is fading/I'm falling into blue/why don't you save me" did a great job to lead me further into a situation of exaggerated self-pity that, granted, I liked for a bit. Why do I, at the same time time, hated, but somewhat encouraged myself into sadness, I have no idea.

This song is very atmospheric and good background music.

This is it for today. Hope to see you guys tomorrow.

Edited by Fa1x intelectual
I added more stuff in

omg tata young :weeps: as thai people, i'm so proud of her :weeps:

she has many great bops like ready for love, come rain come shine, and sexy naughty bitchy yas :mmm:

make sure you check ha other songs

also, love me some ella

17 minutes ago, thecptz said:

she has many great bops like ready for love, come rain come shine, and sexy naughty bitchy yas :mmm:

also, love me some ella

Wait, you are Siamese? :gaycat3:

3 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

Wait, you are Siamese? :gaycat3:

yes king

22 minutes ago, thecptz said:

also, love me some ella

Will keep these on a shortlist. Who knows, maybe she shows up next year.

And yay for a fellow Ella appreciator

8 minutes ago, jacklovesyou1 said:

Ellie yaay

She is so amazing. Wish I liked her new single more.

Thank you so much for the comments guys

5 minutes ago, thecptz said:

yes king

Oh hello neighbor. Don't forget to check my list too :gaycat3:

So OP, this is more like year's most played songs list?

7 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

So OP, this is more like year's most played songs list?

I'd say it is like "the best-performing songs of the year according to my Crownnote chart"

It's been a while since I heard Stuck Like Glue (a totally forgotten track by the GP).

Stuck Like Glue is really catchy :jamming:

I’m honestly not familiar with that Jewel song, but I should give it a listen cause You Were Meant for Me becomes one of my favorite 90s songs recently!

3 hours ago, Fa1x intelectual said:

#90: Higher Ground by ODESZA (featuring Naomi Wild

I was disappointed by their album but this was cute

Lights is a cute song by Ellie, and I agree she has a beautiful voice, you should get into her song with Clean Bandit ?

Lights + Stuck Like Glue :party:

Lights :clap3:

35 minutes ago, Nacht said:

I like La Forza too, your taste is very eclectic

You have no idea

#89: I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash (peaked at #3 on September 30th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

Hey, look! The second country song. Why is it here? Because my voice doesn't allow me to sing the pop girl's notes anymore and so I needed to find a song that suited my range better. I get impressed by how low Cash's voice can go (and I think he goes even lower on Ring of Fire). I somewhat struggle to sing the title of the song because of that. It is a great one, by the way.

For your amusement, here is what I sound like singing it

#88: I Love You Always Forever by Donna Lewis (peaked at #23 on April 15th, spent 12 weeks on the chart)

Two things:

This song could be the poster child for my music taste as a whole. Just look at the title and listen to the song and tell me if it isn't the most... stereotypical song for me to be listening;

t might as well be my Song of the Decade for next year (cos' that's a thing that will happen, sure). It was the number 1 song in 2016, No. 63 last year and it is still here. A shoutout for Todd In The Shadows for this one.

Also, see why I want Ellie to cover this?

Some could class this as a snoozefest but snoozefest don't get stuck in your head continuously for two years.

#87: Flash Company by Offa Rex (peaked at #4 on February 18th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

This song is unusual. I only know of its existence because I, blasphemy, subjected myself to listen to an album. The unthinkable, I know. But I always had a thing for old, folkloric songs (just ask Tempus Est Iocundum or Ai Vist Lo Lop, both hit the top 20 this year. The former almost went to #1, actually). This is a song about love.... That gives you STDs and ruins your life. Lovely.

This band had their first chart hit with a cover of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". It can be good when you're in the mood for it. Or if you're like me and takes a likening for songs under 60 BPM. Anyway, now that I have the time to reflect on it, maybe Offa Rex was a pioneer of a musical trend that lingered throughout my personal chart year. A trend that didn't blow up until September, I think. More details when we get to talk about its frontrunners. For now, thank you Offa Rex, I appreciate you.

#86: Little Girls by Princess Fiona Cameron Diaz (peaked at #2 on June 10th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

One beautiful morning I decided to check my Discover Weekly playlist. That week, there was a song from Annie 2014 there... Not this one but we'll get to it. I never watched this musical and my only knowledge of it was because of an episode of Young Sheldon. I clicked on this song right after reading the synopsis for Annie and finding out this lady was playing the villain. My logic was: "It is the villain song, I will love it". And I did. Now, I will not argue about how "this song is terrible because it turns the truly menacing old hag of the original into a comic relief". It's no use and I think watching the Les Mis musical made me become very accepting of this sort of re-interpretation (I pity the clueless fellas that go read the original novel after watching the musical...). It does what it has to do and Sia has backing vocals on this. Granted, that isn't saying much when she is all over this soundtrack...

#85: How Do I Live by LeAnn Rimes (peaked at #2 on June 17th, spent 6 weeks on the chart)

Some considerations

*Third country song (yes, I'm gonna do that every time)

*This is a radio staple. Unbreak My Heart wishes

*I dedicate this to my Dell computer. How ****ty do you have to be to die after 4 months?!

This was one of those songs Ialways heard on the radio but never found out its name because my English wasn't good enough (or my memory, really). This song and the one before it had the exact same runs. But this one fared ever so slightly better.

LET ME HEAR IT ONE MORE TIME FOR THAT QUINTESSENTIAL CHORUS, YALL

#84: Play That Song by Train (peaked at #8 on October 7th and spent 9 weeks on the chart)

The reason this was a hit is beyond silly and I won't disclose it

That Heart and Soul sample does wonders. Also, is this country? To piss off the traditionalists, I will say it is country pop and run. Bye.

#83: Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder (peaked at #6 on May 20th, spent 9 weeks on the chart)

Oh, Ebony and Ivory. People are too hard on you. If people take this as a serious proposal on how (or why) we should end racism, that's their problem. I see it as nothing more than an idealized little idea that came together because it makes a cute song idea. Critics take this way too seriously. If it wasn't for songs like this and What A Wonderful World I would've given up on humanity years ago.

#82: Butterflies by Alana Lee (peaked at #2 on September 2nd, spent 4 weeks on the chart but three of those were in the top 3 so it got enough points to make it)

giphy.gif

Let's add this to the list of songs my 40 year-old self will look back and say "Faux Intellectual indeed"; with Fa1x Intelectual written correctly because I'll be 40.

#81: Complicated by Olivia O'Brien (peaked at #2 on August 5th, spent 5 weeks on the chart)

My brain was like: "Remember that girl from i hate u i love u? Check her Spotify profile. Oh, look, a cover of the No. 1 hit Complicated with a downtempo arrangement. Overplay it to death".

Why do I listen to my brain...

I'll say that, in my opinion, Olivia's voice hits a sweet spot when she sings some of the lyrics as for instance: "You would SeE" and "but you BeCOmE" because her voice fluctuates a little and sounds like it's about to go off key, but it doesn't. I mean, I think it doesn't.

#80: A Woman Half My Age by Kitty Wells (peaked at #5 on September 16th, spent 11 weeks on the chart)

(damn it, I posted the wrong link and now ATRL won't let me edit it out ****)

Started with a country song, ending with a country song.

The longevity a song has! This song debuted back in June and peaked 3 months later. That's against the norm.

But the REAL reason this stuck around this long was because I decided to give tv series a chance in 2018. And to start off my campaign, I chose a series my History teacher would not shut up about: The Tudors (that wonderfully cropped picture on the banner). I didn't watch the show for accuracy, I could just go to Wikipedia for that. I watched it because the "Henry VIII/To six wives he was wedded/Two divorced/One survived/One died/Two beheaded" storyline is cliche, but fun to witness. I didn't finish the series because my computer was getting full of viruses from the questionable websites I was downloading the episodes from (also, I got tired of my favorite characters dying suddenly... Also also, my internet sucked at the time and torrents downloads were a pain).

I did watch the whole first season and God, Poor Catherine of Aragon didn't deserve that. I literally read a book about her and her flaws were being stubborn and blindly loving Henry. Every episode there was the "Feel sorry for Catherine" scene and I did. Thus, this song came in with me imagining Catherine singing this to Henry... You get the gist, I won't embarass myself any further.

__________________________________________________________________________________

That's it for today. Come back tomorrow for more stupid Tudors associations (or don't, you're free to decide)

Edited by Fa1x intelectual

21 minutes ago, prézli said:

TRAIN :jonny: I thought @Remmy and I were their only stans on ATRL.

I am quite found of their stuff, actually. They are  that band/act that can always get a sleeper hit on my chart

1 hour ago, prézli said:

TRAIN :jonny: I thought @Remmy and I were their only stans on ATRL.

Me too. I LOVE Train. 

3/10

Play That Song + How Do I Live + I Walk The Line :worship:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.