• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• QueenofCopyPaste

• mike3009

• Mr. Adele

12 minutes ago, alltoowell13 said:

It was similar when Migos first blocked Zaylor from #2. In the Billboard weekly report IDWLF sold 137k (#1 on iTunes all week and #1 on Digital Songs), was #7 on radio and #3 on streaming while B&B sold 40k, #16 on radio and #1 on streaming.

Positions don't give the whole picture.

For example, the difference between #1 and #3 on streaming might not seem like a lot, but in practice the #1 on streaming can have 200%+ of the streams that the #3 has.

And with airplay, #7 might seem like a big advantage over #16, but in practice the AI difference between those two positions can be something like 20 million AI, which isn't THAT much really.

QueenofCopyPaste
46 minutes ago, e_yal said:

Can someone pleaee explain me how migos are #2? Its #4 on spotify, #38 on itunes and like 20 on radio . HOW its even possible for them to be in top 5 ?!

It is that powerful in video streaming. Its #1 in Youtube since end of 2016 and is still blocking Ed Sheeran.

Guys, if I'm mistaken please correct me

This is how the Hot 100 formula works:

Airplay data + Streaming data + Sales

Sales = Physical sales + digital sales

Digital sales = iTunes + Amazon + ??

Streaming data = Spotify data + Apple Music data + Youtube (US) data + Pandora + Shazam  + ??

Airplay data = I really don't know how Billboard counts this, I know it's a big deal if the song has so much airplay on radio, but how exactly? Number of formats? Spins? Audience?

13 minutes ago, MJLover said:

Guys, if I'm mistaken please correct me

This is how the Hot 100 formula works:

Airplay data + Streaming data + Sales

Sales = Physical sales + digital sales

Digital sales = iTunes + Amazon + ??

Streaming data = Spotify data + Apple Music data + Youtube (US) data + Pandora + Shazam  + ??

Airplay data = I really don't know how Billboard counts this, I know it's a big deal if the song has so much airplay on radio, but how exactly? Number of formats? Spins? Audience?

Physical sales are not part of the Hot 100 and iTunes is 95%? of digital sales.

Shazam is not a streaming service, but there are a lot more smaller services that also count. Tidal and whatever.

Airplay is the audience across all formats over the last 7 days that counts for the Hot 100.

51 minutes ago, Tsuko said:

Positions don't give the whole picture.

For example, the difference between #1 and #3 on streaming might not seem like a lot, but in practice the #1 on streaming can have 200%+ of the streams that the #3 has.

And with airplay, #7 might seem like a big advantage over #16, but in practice the AI difference between those two positions can be something like 20 million AI, which isn't THAT much really.

Omg THIS. Everyone needs to understand this before continually whining like "How is XXXX top 5/top10???? I dont understand the Hot 100 anymore, it doesnt make sense"

Yeh it does make sense, but its decided by points from 3 metrics, not positions... The positions are not an accurate reflection at all. Like being top 3 on one particular metric can easily outweigh the deficit of being like #50 on another.

Just now, Fruity said:

Omg THIS. Everyone needs to understand this before continually whining like "How is XXXX top 5/top10???? I dont understand the Hot 100 anymore, it doesnt make sense"

Yeh it does make sense, but its decided by points from 3 metrics, not positions... The positions are not an accurate reflection at all. Like being top 3 on one particular metric can easily outweigh the deficit of being like #50 on another.

This :dies:

11 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

You can't forget about Uptown Funk lol.

True.

I never understood why Mariah would release her albums in Sept/oct and why Madonna and Whitney did back in the day but it makes sense.

you really get an opportunity to get the best of both worlds

Taylor's october releases remain a smart savvy decision. Lengthens the era makes a huge era appear even moreso...

I'm sure Rihanna or someone will have their uptown funk/we found love/tik tok late fall/winter 2017 slayage using that same formula

It's their to use...why not?

This shows what a mess streaming and the new formulas have done to the charts and the record books. All these very recent acts beating legends from decades before. What a joke.

1 minute ago, Rentboy said:

This shows what a mess streaming and the new formulas have done to the charts and the record books. All these very recent acts beating legends from decades before. What a joke.

Rihanna has been around since 2005 :huh:  and so what? Mariah had #1s that were only decided by airplay. 

17 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Since when?

my understanding was that although there aren't any/many single sales, Nielsen and billboard still tracked/used them. But the last info I have is a couple years out of date.

the last time i remember them being significant was born this way's 6th and final week at #1 where it edged out ET because of the physical single release which sold like 2000 copies. I don't think theyve said anything about removing them since then.

edit: https://books.google.com/books?id=ScqFpB4lJg4C&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=born+this+way+physical+sales+ET+billboard.com&source=bl&ots=O7sie1xomp&sig=FYtjUvqaCS9dzIX1ufOmV6X__a8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyqJjjptbSAhWBG5AKHSUGBA0Q6AEINDAE#v=onepage&q=born this way physical sales ET billboard.com&f=false

Edited by jose168

17 minutes ago, Fruity said:

People who say this are just pressed

42 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Since when?

my understanding was that although there aren't any/many single sales, Nielsen and billboard still tracked/used them. But the last info I have is a couple years out of date.

The thing that counts for the Hot 100 is called "Digital Song Sales"? Doesn't sound very physical to me, but maybe they still count somewhere.

physical sales probably account for such a small percentage thats its almost pointless to include them into the formula.

QueenofCopyPaste

I hope theres a single in Drake's "More Life"  playlist/album that will weaken Shape of You in coming weeks :jonny:

29 minutes ago, PhreshDiamond said:

Rihanna has been around since 2005 :huh:  and so what? Mariah had #1s that were only decided by airplay. 

what? WBT peaked at #2 on Digital songs tho. besides back then HDS were basically irrelevant.

45 minutes ago, Rentboy said:

Even if the chart was still sales/radio only, Drake/The Chainsmokers/The Weeknd would've still likely made it onto the list, get over it. One Dance/Hotline Bling/Work, The Hills/Can't Feel My Face/Earned It, Don't Let Me Down/Closer/Paris were massive either way.

1 hour ago, simmnfierzig said:

Physical sales are not part of the Hot 100 and iTunes is 95%? of digital sales.

Shazam is not a streaming service, but there are a lot more smaller services that also count. Tidal and whatever.

Airplay is the audience across all formats over the last 7 days that counts for the Hot 100.

:toofunny3: 

#15. Shaw Mendes - Mercy   NEW PEAK :eek: 

Longetivity of this song :clap3: 

2 hours ago, Rentboy said:

Perhaps the Hot 100 wasn't as accurate then as it is today?

I expected Heathens to fall out because of the Ed Sheeran songs but it only fell down one spot to #44. If it can hang on for 2-3 more weeks it will make decade-end charts.

I've never listened to more than 30 seconds of Rockabye :deadbanana3: I've never heard it in the car either. I guess it's time to give it a listen.